Rd 3 - #82 - Will Sutton, DT - Arizona State

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

FireBrand wrote:Not that it's going to matter on the field, but these are a pair of scary looking dudes

That is obviously Sutton at 320 lbs. He looks AWFUL. He told the press that he is back down to 290. I would like to see him play at 280-285 lbs.
Stay_Cool
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
FireBrand wrote:Not that it's going to matter on the field, but these are a pair of scary looking dudes

That is obviously Sutton at 320 lbs. He looks AWFUL. He told the press that he is back down to 290. I would like to see him play at 280-285 lbs.
More chisel, less jiggle. Some college coaches obviously don't know the difference between good and bad weight. IE fat vs muscles
Don't tell me the sky's the limit... There's footprints on the moon!!!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

One thing I notice about Sutton in this video is Sutton's ability to engage with one arm, and keep one arm free to make a play.

Sutton
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:One thing I notice about Sutton in this video is Sutton's ability to engage with one arm, and keep one arm free to make a play.

Sutton

Among DL-men Sutton has arguably the best hands in this draft. He needs to get back the quickness he lost when he went full Jabba. Good value in the third round.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
IE
Hall of Famer

LOL ... "full Jabba"
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Listening to the conference call, he sounds very young. Immature in the sense that he needs help making career decisions. Decisions like "adding 45 pounds of fat won't make NFL teams like you more". He's down to 290 now and I'll be interested to see where he ends up on week 1.
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

If he would have had a senior season like he did when he was a junior, everyone would be saying "Who's Aaron Donald". Sutton was nearly unstoppable as a junior and got bad advice going into his senior year.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote:Listening to the conference call, he sounds very young. Immature in the sense that he needs help making career decisions. Decisions like "adding 45 pounds of fat won't make NFL teams like you more". He's down to 290 now and I'll be interested to see where he ends up on week 1.
I'll bet that Pasqualoni has him playing at a svelte and ripped up 280-285. Can't wait to see this kid play.
Stay_Cool
MVP

Sutton is the player I'm most excited to see play. It was a toss up between him and Fuller, but I think Sutton will have the bigger impact at the 3T
Don't tell me the sky's the limit... There's footprints on the moon!!!
wab
Mod

I'm calling it right now. Sutton is your front runner for NFL Rookie of the year.
docc
Head Coach

He was a monster.. When Pac12 teams played..He HAD to be accounted for..and still dominated..

Very excited to see him on Bears..
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I'm calling it right now. Sutton is your front runner for NFL Rookie of the year.
WOW! That's bold. If Sutton is ROY, then our D is doing something right. If our D is that right, and there's no let down in the offense, we're gonna be fun to watch.
VA_Mountain_Bear

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
wab wrote:I'm calling it right now. Sutton is your front runner for NFL Rookie of the year.
WOW! That's bold. If Sutton is ROY, then our D is doing something right. If our D is that right, and there's no let down in the offense, we're gonna be fun to watch.
Immensely, unwarranted, unprecedentedly bold prediction Wab...may it come true. If you are right I will bow down to your football acumen.
G08
Hall of Famer

Love the pick, especially in the third round. I had a mid second round grade on him so I like the value. If you take Sutton in the second and Ferguson in the third that's one hell of a draft for DTs. I'm expecting Ferguson to be our most (and probably bulk up to 320) and Sutton to rotate in at the three.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I think it's notable that both our DT picks are quicker than big. If the plan was to play mostly two-gap I think they would have looked at different players.
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

Ego isn't exactly small. In fact, on paper, Ego is eerily similar to Marcel Dareus (in terms of measurables)
G08
Hall of Famer

So what's his deal with the lack of production?
wab
Mod

He only started 12 games in 3 years...all last season. He's basically the defensive line version of Kyle Long.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:He only started 12 games in 3 years...all last season. He's basically the defensive line version of Kyle Long.
I certainly like the gamble by Emery. If it worked for Long, why not Ferguson. I think most of the talking heads would have liked it had it not been in the 2nd round. I wonder if Phil had an indication that someone was going to take him before our pick in round 3.
WagonForce
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
wab wrote:He only started 12 games in 3 years...all last season. He's basically the defensive line version of Kyle Long.
I certainly like the gamble by Emery. If it worked for Long, why not Ferguson. I think most of the talking heads would have liked it had it not been in the 2nd round. I wonder if Phil had an indication that someone was going to take him before our pick in round 3.
There seems to be a pattern with these 'unconventional' selections. I know basically nothing about college football, so I can't comment on Ferguson (other than he's apparently an athletic DT, which I was excited about), but the idea that Emery 'reached' for an inexperienced player with a ton of upside is familiar from last year's draft. If the Bear's staff identified a player they felt could be upper echelon in the NFL, I can see how they wouldn't want to risk him falling into another team's lap.

If Ferguson works out half as well #75, I'll be grinning like an idiot.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

I can't really argue with Phil. I always say the least important thing when shouting a player is what they accomplished in college. What is important is what you think your coaches can do with the players skill set at the NFL level. That worked out with the Bears and Long and I'm not going to second guess Phil on this one either.
G08
Hall of Famer

Phil stated how when teams tried to run up the gut with Ferguson in the game they couldn't do it. I like him as a run stuffing NT. I'd like to see him get up to 325 lbs if he can pack another 10 on in muscle.
Iffybiz
Player of the Month

I bought one of those draft guide magazines and it was pretty bad but it did show who everyone picked last year and how they did. It was kind of shocking to me just how little last years class did. The Bears actually had one of the better drafts with two starters.
Ny point in this is, if you're only going to get one or two starters at most per draft,why try to hit singles? If Ego reaches potential he's at minimum a starter and possibly much more.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

did you guys watch emery's interview with joniak and thayer on the bear's site?

apparently the first time phil saw kyle long was when he was down in arizona to see will sutton 2 years ago. apparently his scouts told him to check out this kyle long kid while he's there, and then sutton goes down with an ankle after his first play and emery spends the rest of the game watching kyle.

so as emery put it, sutton's basically responsible for phil drafting kyle.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Also in that interview, Thayer talks about how he didn't see any mock drafts with Fuller going to the Bears. Umm that's just for TV right? He's not that incompetent...?
xyt in the discord chats
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote:Also in that interview, Thayer talks about how he didn't see any mock drafts with Fuller going to the Bears. Umm that's just for TV right? He's not that incompetent...?
Clearly wasn't reading the mocks here ;)

Actually I know Mel had us taking Fuller as well.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

well, Sutton in the 3rd to team with Ferguson from round 2 means I am pleased that the defensive line rotation has been effectively upgraded

I think these 2 will do for the defensive line what Long and Mills did for the offensive line

thank you Phil :toast:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Farewell to Will
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Middleguard
MVP

Will was cut on the 11th. Did it take him an entire week to pack his bags?

Or did you find it amusing to resurrect some of the blather spouted here at a time when you were still finishing off one of your previous victims?

I found it amusing.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

He's in Minnesota.