You have received the call....now save our season

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

Ok so first attempt at creating a discussion thread so mod’s if it’s poor or unworthy of being on the forum please do delete.

However it’s all doom and gloom around here(rightly so) and on many of the threads the baby is being thrown out with the bath water so to speak. I have seen talk of cutting anyone over the age of 30 etc

So I thought OK, OUR football team is 3-4 and it’s now mid season and in an X-Box style of challenge I put this to the forum.

Its Monday morning you wake up and you have a phone call from Phil Emery..You are now in charge of the Chicago Bears with your primary goal being saving this season and you have complete control.... how do you save our season?*.

For this to work guys we need realistic replies Rex Ryan is in a job currently so firing Mel tucker and bringing Ryan in just isn’t going to work etc. Nothing however is off bounds to you, roster moves staff moves etc ( just remember the salary cap etc)

I will post up my thoughts during my actual lunch hour lol

* By save our season I mean a winning record and taking us close to the play offs if not into.
Have a great day
mshu7
Pro Bowler

As I said in another thread....

I’ve tried to stay on the Cutler bandwagon over the years, but he’s the only common denominator. How many coaches & players not named Cutler will we go through to find the winning formula? I’m not saying other players aren’t at fault, but I’m tired of the bi-polar Cutler.

If I'm Phil, I’d be open to ANY trade offers for Cutler…just to get his salary off the books & get him out of town. Tennessee looks like a great spot to send him.
-Shu
FireBrand
MVP

-Build a time machine and bring back Mike Brown

-Hire some thugs to kneecap Aaron Rogers and Matt Stafford

-Steal that big sumbitch that plays on the right side of the line for Carolina

-Change the league rules to give Cutler 2 do-overs per game

-Get some nerd to be a clock-management consultant for Trestman
"It's hard to measure what's behind that left nipple" - John Fox
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

FireBrand wrote:-Build a time machine and bring back Mike Brown

:thumbsup: :toast:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

When you build a team around your offense, your team will take on the personality of you're QB.

Peyton Manning is the emotional leader of the Bronco's, Brady the Pat's, Rodger's the Pack, Rivers the Chargers, Luck the Colts

Trestman and Company have tried to build this team around Jay Cutler and what do you get......a team with visible talent that plays like a bi-polar schizophrenic on crack that 'don't care'. As I mentioned earlier, even our wins are full of ugly moments.

IMO, if you want to win (big) with Cutler...and I believe you can, you have to make the defense to heart of your team. Think Lovie's 06 team. Think of the great Ravens and Buccs teams.

Jay is far more talented then the QBs for any of those teams (yes, even more talented then Grossman ;) ) but I don't believe he can be the (emotional) leader of your team.

I'm not saying that's a terrible thing, those names above are the exception. They are rare.

Look at the way the Steelers have fallen apart as they shifted from a defensive team to an offensive team and taken on Big Ben's persona. Look at how the Lions mirror Stafford's inconsistency.

As someone mentioned in another thread about Dallas providing the blueprint. Tony Romo is a very talented quarterback, but he can't be the identity of your team. I think the situation with Jay is very similar.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

FireBrand wrote:-Build a time machine and bring back Mike Brown

Really you have a time machine and you want Mike Brown?

Give me some Fencik, Todd Bell or Dave Duerson.
wab
Mod

1 - How long have people been ready to give up on Phillip Rivers. Now all of a sudden he's the "face of the team" again. Football fans have the shortest memories.

2 - I loved Mike Brown, but he was bad a lot of the time. He took terrible angles, missed tackles trying to lay down a big hit, and had awful fundamentals. But he was the beneficiary of a shit ton of gift interceptions thanks to 3 all star LBs and a stellar defensive line. But he had the meatball fire and passion...so we overlooked how awful he could be.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:1 - How long have people been ready to give up on Phillip Rivers. Now all of a sudden he's the "face of the team" again. Football fans have the shortest memories.
For the record....I never gave up on Phillip Rivers. Even his two 'down years' we're pretty good.

That was a media driven narrative.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:2 - I loved Mike Brown, but he was bad a lot of the time. He took terrible angles, missed tackles trying to lay down a big hit, and had awful fundamentals. But he was the beneficiary of a shit ton of gift interceptions thanks to 3 all star LBs and a stellar defensive line. But he had the meatball fire and passion...so we overlooked how awful he could be.
Yeah, I've said the same many - many times. Loved...I mean LOVED Mike Brown, but he's also probably the most over-rated Chicago Bear of all time.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

DaDitka wrote:When you build a team around your offense, your team will take on the personality of you're QB.

Peyton Manning is the emotional leader of the Bronco's, Brady the Pat's, Rodger's the Pack, Rivers the Chargers, Luck the Colts

Trestman and Company have tried to build this team around Jay Cutler and what do you get......a team with visible talent that plays like a bi-polar schizophrenic on crack that 'don't care'. As I mentioned earlier, even our wins are full of ugly moments.

IMO, if you want to win (big) with Cutler...and I believe you can, you have to make the defense to heart of your team. Think Lovie's 06 team. Think of the great Ravens and Buccs teams.
ah, I get it ... Cutler is Trent Dilfer, but with a better arm

put him in charge of the offense on a team with a defense that can destroy anyone, and you can get a ring ... just like Dilfer

problem is, Cutler was paid, and expected to be, as Manning, Brees, Brady, Rivers et al are ... and he simply is not in their league
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
ah, I get it ... Cutler is Trent Dilfer, but with a better arm
For what it's worth....I think Jay is a lot better then Dilfer. I just don't think he can be the emotional leader of your team.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Time to save the season.

If I'm Emery, I need to provide some leadership and direction immediately.

1. Call Trestman into my office. You need to get control of this team now. Bench some players, call a meeting, whatever you need to do. Do it now, or go do something else.
2. I bring Jay into my office and I am very blunt with him. We paid you A LOT of money. We don't just need your arm, we need your leadership. You let me know right now, can you do that or not?
3. I strongly recommend to Trestman that you start balancing your play calling. Teams are sitting on our receivers, with out much of a threat to run. That's his business, but right now, teams are figuring out the Bears.
4. I call Tucker into my office and run through the same scenario.
5. I look to trade a couple of middle tier players that are not performing up to snuff. I strongly suggest to Trestman that he bench Mills. I might cut Holmes. I think he ran the wrong route on Jay's INT. I think he was supposed to break it off inside, and instead he kept running. Besides, he has looked completely disinterested. I need to send a message that mediocrity will not be tolerated.

If I'm not holding my coaches and coordinators accountable, why would they hold their players accountable. Emery needs to shake things up, and start making some players feel a little uneasy about their jobs.
malk
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Time to save the season.

1. Call Trestman into my office. You need to get control of this team now. Bench some players, call a meeting, whatever you need to do. Do it now, or go do something else.
2. I bring Jay into my office and I am very blunt with him. We paid you A LOT of money. We don't just need your arm, we need your leadership. You let me know right now, can you do that or not?
3. I strongly recommend to Trestman that you start balancing your play calling. Teams are sitting on our receivers, with out much of a threat to run. That's his business, but right now, teams are figuring out the Bears.
5. I look to trade a couple of middle tier players that are not performing up to snuff. I strongly suggest to Trestman that he bench Mills. I might cut Holmes. I think he ran the wrong route on Jay's INT. I think he was supposed to break it off inside, and instead he kept running. Besides, he has looked completely disinterested. I need to send a message that mediocrity will not be tolerated.

If I'm not holding my coaches and coordinators accountable, why would they hold their players accountable. Emery needs to shake things up, and start making some players feel a little uneasy about their jobs.
I'm down with all of that. The only thing I would go further with (though you can't in mid season) is pretty much not have any middle tier players. Higher end talent, rookie deals and the best vet min players you can attract. The only possible exception being the offensive line.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: I might cut Holmes. I think he ran the wrong route on Jay's INT. I think he was supposed to break it off inside, and instead he kept running.
Not looking to support Holmes, but for what it's worth Jay said he was throwing it to Bennett.
edep12
Journeyman

So, we give everybody a stern talking to and cut Santonio Holmes (a guy who Cutler has already absolved of any blame)??? Got it! That should do it. Are you sure you don't want to add a strongly worded letter? :D C'mon, Phil Emery has left YOU in charge! Don't you want to make some heads roll or send people packing? That has to be the most benign "You're in charge" dream scenario I have ever heard.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

edep12 wrote:

So, we give everybody a stern talking to and cut Santonio Holmes (a guy who Cutler has already absolved of any blame)??? Got it! That should do it. Are you sure you don't want to add a strongly worded letter? :D C'mon, Phil Emery has left YOU in charge! Don't you want to make some heads roll or send people packing? That has to be the most benign "You're in charge" dream scenario I have ever heard.
I thought about firing Tucker and DeCamillis, but then we could really throw the rest of the season away. Not that they are any good at coaching, but to try and adjust to a new DC or ST coordinator mid-season is a recipe for disaster. If we were 2-5 or 1-6, then the season is over and you might as well do it. If we come out of the bye, after losing to the Pats, and lay an egg against the Pack in Lambeau, then lose our 4th in a row at home against the Vikings, then we can start cleaning house.
edep12
Journeyman

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
edep12 wrote: So, we give everybody a stern talking to and cut Santonio Holmes (a guy who Cutler has already absolved of any blame)??? Got it! That should do it. Are you sure you don't want to add a strongly worded letter? :D C'mon, Phil Emery has left YOU in charge! Don't you want to make some heads roll or send people packing? That has to be the most benign "You're in charge" dream scenario I have ever heard.
I thought about firing Tucker and DeCamillis, but then we could really throw the rest of the season away. Not that they are any good at coaching, but to try and adjust to a new DC or ST coordinator mid-season is a recipe for disaster. If we were 2-5 or 1-6, then the season is over and you might as well do it. If we come out of the bye, after losing to the Pats, and lay an egg against the Pack in Lambeau, then lose our 4th in a row at home against the Vikings, then we can start cleaning house.
I was just harassing you, trying to bully you into something a bit more colorful like this for example...

Re-hire Dave Toub away from KC and make him the league's highest paid assistant. Put in his contract that whenever he gets us a return that starts in the opposition's territory, he gets to call the offensive plays for that possession.

Not the greatest, but you must admit, it does add a bit more originality, no? Swing for the fences, brother! :D
wab
Mod

Does Dave Toub get to bring back a 22 year old Hester and reinstate the wedge?
edep12
Journeyman

wab wrote:Does Dave Toub get to bring back a 22 year old Hester and reinstate the wedge?
Hey, WE are in charge here! Toub can ask us, and if we see fit, we can make whatever changes we want to!
Middleguard
MVP

The most realistic way for the Bears to turn this season around is to beat the Patriots. They have a shot. The Bears have been playing better on the road and, for the last few years, so have the Patriots (i.e. like the Bears, worse at home). Brady isn't an option threat and doesn't know the Bears like Rodgers does.

No drastic changes are going to help the Bears win their next game. More honesty might: honesty about who are the best players to put on the field, and honesty about what those players can accomplish. Honesty from the players, as in "an honest day's work."

We expected to see a more cerebral (well, nerdy actually) team under Emery and Trestman, but it's gone too far. The Bears are game-planning the way the Japanese planned WWII. Way too complicated, and relying on the enemy to act and respond as expected for success.