Urlacher on Cutler

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"We say it every year how talented Jay is ... how much talent," Urlacher said during an interview on the "Kap and Haugh Show" on WGWG-FM (87.7). "But the NFL is not a talent contest. It's a winning contest. You want to win football games, that's what it comes down to.
wab
Mod

Dude is slowly turning into Gayle Sayers when it comes to talking about the Bears.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Let's not forget, he's gone out of his way to talk glowingly of him in the past.

In fairness.....he's not wrong in what he's saying.

Now...the locker room comments, I don't think he really knew what he was speaking on there.
wab
Mod

No I just mean popping up with an opinion out of the blue.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I agree with what he is saying, but just cannot figure out how he likes talking to the media now (and being a part of it for a short time) when he despised the media as a player. He does come off bitter.

The salary is another subject, but you want to get what you pay for.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

"We say it every year how talented Jay is ... how much talent," Urlacher said during an interview on the "Kap and Haugh Show" on WGWG-FM (87.7). "But the NFL is not a talent contest. It's a winning contest. You want to win football games, that's what it comes down to."

well ok, then I guess I share Urlacher's view on this
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bad Flanders
MVP

He's not wrong but he's playing semantic games, because football is a team sport, it's not measured about personal wins and losses any more than it is by talent.

If Url really wants to open that can of worms we could point out that in his 182 games he's around 100 wins to 82 losses (I am extrapolating, I can't find the data exactly but that's from 2000-2013 minus 2009 {injury} and the back end of 2012), that's just under 55% wins.

Compare that to Jay's 42 wins in 74 games with the Bears for just under 57% wins.

Uh-Oh Urlacher!

Jay also wins for never having known Paris Hilton intimately, or at least not letting it go public if he did!

Url should just move in with Sayers, they could get matching rocking chairs and garden hoses, sit on the front porch and spend all day keeping neighborhood kids off their lawn.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bad Flanders wrote:He's not wrong but he's playing semantic games, because football is a team sport, it's not measured about personal wins and losses any more than it is by talent.
well, that gets back to the old cliche about QB's getting too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses

Bad Flanders wrote:If Url really wants to open that can of worms we could point out that in his 182 games he's around 100 wins to 82 losses (I am extrapolating, I can't find the data exactly but that's from 2000-2013 minus 2009 {injury} and the back end of 2012), that's just under 55% wins.

Compare that to Jay's 42 wins in 74 games with the Bears for just under 57% wins.

Uh-Oh Urlacher!
and as MLB, he WAS the defensive "quarterback", so that observation is valid

Bad Flanders wrote:Jay also wins for never having known Paris Hilton intimately, or at least not letting it go public if he did!

Url should just move in with Sayers, they could get matching rocking chairs and garden hoses, sit on the front porch and spend all day keeping neighborhood kids off their lawn.
:rofl:
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Rodney Harrison, another guy most like to hate (he is a fellow alum of WIU, gotta like him) has this to say:
You don’t get rid of a quarterback like that with that type of skill and athleticism and arm strength if he is a leader.
http://voices.suntimes.com/sports/insid ... at-leader/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
G08
Hall of Famer

They didn't get rid of him, per se. He demanded to be traded after he learned his new head coach preferred Matt freakingCCassel over him.

Is what it is, keep the narrative flowing.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Rodney Harrison, another guy most like to hate (he is a fellow alum of WIU, gotta like him) has this to say:
You don’t get rid of a quarterback like that with that type of skill and athleticism and arm strength if he is a leader.
http://voices.suntimes.com/sports/insid ... at-leader/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

from the same linked to story :
Harrison said Cutler is the type of quarterback who has loads of potential but doesn’t deliver.

“Everyone sits back and talks about Cutler,” Harrison said. “When you’re a starting quarterback in the league you’re going to get paid a lot of money. Whether you’re Andy Dalton, whether you’re Jay Cutler you’re going to get paid. I think people are so intrigued with this guy because he has such a great arm and he’s a really, really good athlete. I’ve played against him; he’s an excellent athlete and when he looks good he looks like one of the best. But when he looks bad he looks like one of the worst. And it’s hot and cold and that’s unfortunate when you have a quarterback like that. There’s no medium ground. I think people get intrigued by how great of an athlete he is, strong arm, kind of reminds you of Jeff George when he played out in Oakland – just a big strong arm, can throw the ball 70 yards.”
another Jeff George comparison ... and it is hard to argue against it ... very similar, Cutler and George
George Carlin
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
Otis Day wrote:Rodney Harrison, another guy most like to hate (he is a fellow alum of WIU, gotta like him) has this to say:

from the same linked to story :
another Jeff George comparison ... and it is hard to argue against it ... very similar, Cutler and George
This is one of Jay's biggest fans on this board saying this, but...

Years ago, the Jeff George comparisons were simply lazy. Talking heads used them often merely for effect and/or because that's what the heard others say.

At this point, 9 years into his NFL career...the comparisons are fair and it's on Jay to set himself apart from him on the field.

Jay is showing improvement....of course Jeff had arguably his best season in his 8th year (Jay is in his ninth)...but he was never able to build on that momentum.

The book on Jay Cutler is yet to be written....but he's certainly wore out the benefit of the doubt.

(PS. Don't go back and try to compare George's stats to Cutlers. This is a completely different NFL and passing the ball is infinitely easier)
edep12
Journeyman

Love you Brian, but you are better off just shutting up anymore as a general rule. I get it, Jay is an easy target, and Lord knows guys LOVE to take shots at him, but, I sure didn't see Urlacher giving any money back the last couple seasons of his career when he was being paid significantly more than he showed on the field.

*...and BTW, Urlacher made $9.2 million his last year in the league (w/a $9.7 cap hit). A year that he had 68 combined tackles, 0 sacks, and 1 INT. Doesn't look too "elite" to me Brian!

In fact, Urlacher's level of play vs. pay was so egregious that year that he was the 2nd worst LBer in the entire NFL for being overpaid based on their production according to PFF. Here's the link.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... nebackers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meanwhile, while Jay DOES need to take better care of the ball, he is still on pace to finish the season with the highest QB rating he has ever had as a pro (and is currently top 10 in the league).
marlin
Practice Squad

Otis Day wrote:I agree with what he is saying, but just cannot figure out how he likes talking to the media now (and being a part of it for a short time) when he despised the media as a player. He does come off bitter.

The salary is another subject, but you want to get what you pay for.
That Url hates the media thing has become somewhat of an urban legend apparently. When I think of hating the media I think of Marvin Harrison, Bill Belichek...even Cutler couldn't care less. But Urlacher did his fair share of media...live radio and TV spots...appearing on ESPN to offer commentary on non-Bears related NFL talking points like some kind of pundit...even bantering with the sportscasters. While I'd hardly call him a charismatic, scintillating personality, he was nevertheless typically a fairly easy interview as long as you caught him outside of the lockerroom.
wab
Mod

To be clear...Urlacher hated Chicago media. Particularly Rick Telander.