Durkin: Bears appear to be going to 3-4

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/01/27/ ... -to-a-3-4/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Jets, Eagles, Redskins, Cardinals and 49ers — other than sitting at home this weekend watching the Patriots and Seahawks play in the Super Bowl, what do these teams have in common? They’re all teams that have outside linebackers coaches on staff and run 3-4 defenses.

On Tuesday, the Bears made a similar move, announcing they hired Clint Hurtt as their outside linebackers coach.
I’ll pause and let you connect the dots.

Combine the hiring of Hurtt — who was the team’s assistant defensive line coach last season — with the team choosing Vic Fangio as its defensive coordinator, and all signs point to the team transitioning to a 3-4 defense in 2015.

During his introductory press conference, new coach John Fox said that designating a specific scheme is sometimes a bigger focus on the outside (fans and media) than inside, adding, “We’re going to put our players in the best position for them to have success.”

As it stands, the Bears’ coaching talent on defense outweighs the on-field talent. Thus, the players Fox was referring to are likely not on the roster currently.

Considering how bare the cupboard is on defense, it’s an ideal time for the team to transition to a new scheme. A strong case can be made that the Bears need at least six new starters on defense. There are benefits to running a 3-4 scheme, both from a talent procurement and schematic standpoint. What’s the essential difference between a 3-4 and 4-3 scheme? In a 3-4, a team is substituting a defensive lineman with a linebacker, which in turn raises the overall athleticism of the defense.

Teams source their talent from the collegiate ranks, where there’s simply a larger pool of linebackers and undersized 4-3 defensive linemen who can transition to the edge in a 3-4 at the NFL level. Conversely, there’s a smaller pool of anchor 4-3 defensive ends who can both set the edge against the run and bend the edge as a pass rusher. Thus, those athletes are typically more coveted in the draft and more expensive to retain from a long-term financial perspective.

From a schematic perspective, when offenses prepare for a 4-3, it’s nearly a foregone conclusion that all four down linemen will be a part of the rush. The challenge for the protection scheme then becomes executing proper blocking rules on twists and stunts, and identifying where second- and third-level pressure may come from to make sure the protection counts are right.

Within a 3-4, any of the four linebackers can easily be disguised and incorporated into the rush, which forces protection schemes to account for all – or none – of them on any given play.

The 3-4 isn’t a magic bullet. Look at both the teams playing this weekend for the title; both the Patriots and Seahawks use 4-3 base defenses. But they’re multiple in their fronts and techniques, which is what the goal of all defenses should be.

However it all specifically shakes out for the Bears remains to be seen, but everything from Halas Hall signals change, which in itself is progress.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I don't care what they run as their base set ... 3-4, 4-3, a mix and match ... whatever

for the first time in a while, I am confident we have a coaching staff who will fit the scheme to the players to be most effective rather than sticking to something maybe the players can't actually handle ... and this makes me smile
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

When Harbaugh and Fangio took over a team that consisted of a bunch of dudes that Singletary had coached into the ground, the media and fans thought the cupboard was bare then too.

Poof...they went from the 20th ranked defense to the 2nd ranked defense. With the same damn players.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:When Harbaugh and Fangio took over a team that consisted of a bunch of dudes that Singletary had coached into the ground, the media and fans thought the cupboard was bare then too.

Poof...they went from the 20th ranked defense to the 2nd ranked defense. With the same damn players.
The past few years have made me realize just how important scheme and coaching are in the NFL. Sure, talent is always key, but you can have a locker room full of Jimmies and Joes but if they're led by Marc Trestman and Mel Tucker, it's game over.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Bad Flanders
MVP

See G08, we can agree! ;)

I don't even know if scheme matters all that much, too much of even a really good scheme can lead to predictability and that's the death knell of any scheme. But that probably says more about the coach than the scheme (see Marc Trestman), so I'm not bashing scheme.

I think it's that coaching, leadership, and motivation. It's silly that anyone making SEVEN damn figures would need motivated beyond that but they do and the ones that can motivate them can lead them and those are the good coaches. Add some technical proficiency and a little intelligence and cleverness and you might even have a great coach.
wab
Mod

Cohesiveness and being on the same pager are about as important as anything.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Cohesiveness and being on the same pager are about as important as anything.
Pager?

I would think that might be a bit too slow as a form of communication on the field....
ysleblanc
MVP

Bad Flanders wrote:See G08, we can agree! ;)

I don't even know if scheme matters all that much, too much of even a really good scheme can lead to predictability and that's the death knell of any scheme. But that probably says more about the coach than the scheme (see Marc Trestman), so I'm not bashing scheme.

I think it's that coaching, leadership, and motivation. It's silly that anyone making SEVEN damn figures would need motivated beyond that but they do and the ones that can motivate them can lead them and those are the good coaches. Add some technical proficiency and a little intelligence and cleverness and you might even have a great coach.

A lot of times with pro athletes, it's not that they AREN'T motivated. They all are, or at least 98% of them, Manziels J.Russell and co are the exception. The difference is when you have a coach that A-puts you in a position to succeed(also helps to have talent around you) and B-putting players in the right mindset where they only worry about their role/task so they do a better job of it.

When things start falling apart, like it or not, even pros struggle to maintain their confidence, focus and high production. Outside factors affect them because they are human, that's why momentum is so big in sports...look at Dallas, last year the defense looked terrible and so did most of their players(either in Dallas or outside) but in 2014 everything came together, good coaching, good performances and all of a sudden they started getting good results.
wab
Mod

These players are putting their bodies on the line for a paycheck and a championship. Once they realize that the championship is out of the question and that the entire staff is weeks away from being swept clean, they throttle back. Because they might not be getting the championship, but they are still getting a check. Self motivation becomes very difficult.
FireBrand
MVP

wab wrote:These players are putting their bodies on the line for a paycheck and a championship. Once they realize that the championship is out of the question and that the entire staff is weeks away from being swept clean, they throttle back. Because they might not be getting the championship, but they are still getting a check. Self motivation becomes very difficult.
When you're 5-9 I'd imagine that you would choose spending time with your family over a few extra hours of film study.
"It's hard to measure what's behind that left nipple" - John Fox
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

FireBrand wrote:
wab wrote:These players are putting their bodies on the line for a paycheck and a championship. Once they realize that the championship is out of the question and that the entire staff is weeks away from being swept clean, they throttle back. Because they might not be getting the championship, but they are still getting a check. Self motivation becomes very difficult.
When you're 5-9 I'd imagine that you would choose spending time with your family over a few extra hours of film study.
Its human nature. I am an account manager. If I am having a crappy quarter, without any hope of hitting the numbers I need to hit, I throttle it back a little. What's the point of trying to close large chunks of business if you're not going to get paid on it anyway. Put it in your back pocket and make another run at it the following quarter. I'm not saying that the two situations are identical, but there are similarities in the behavior.
ysleblanc
MVP

Any thoughts on the options with Allen as it sounds like it will be a 3-4?

-keep him and use him as a rush DE on passing downs
-modify the 3-4 so he can rush from the edge
-cut him
-trade him
-stay in a 4-3 for a year
wab
Mod

Allen stood up and played rush backer at times in the last two games. He doesn't have enough in his ass to stay at end in a base 3-4, but you can move him around a little and put him back at DE in the nickle.
IE
Hall of Famer

Allen is going to be better in smaller doses anyway.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

What bothers me about Allen is we don't know what he was asked to do last year.

Remember 12 month's ago we were scared with anyone running with a ball in their hand...even a toddler. We stopped the run successfully but at what costs? By all accounts Allen's run stopping ability was the best it has been in his career, was that because he was restricted in pinning his ear's back and getting to the QB?

I guess what I am trying to say is I wouldn't throw Allen on the scrapheap yet when it's unclear if it's because he ahs lost that step or was told by Mel Vanilla to not pin his ears back.
Have a great day
ysleblanc
MVP

Bearfanuk wrote:What bothers me about Allen is we don't know what he was asked to do last year.

Remember 12 month's ago we were scared with anyone running with a ball in their hand...even a toddler. We stopped the run successfully but at what costs? By all accounts Allen's run stopping ability was the best it has been in his career, was that because he was restricted in pinning his ear's back and getting to the QB?

I guess what I am trying to say is I wouldn't throw Allen on the scrapheap yet when it's unclear if it's because he ahs lost that step or was told by Mel Vanilla to not pin his ears back.

At this point, if you think he is worth having on the roster and you can use him to rush the passer, you keep him for another year.

I believe he counts 12.5 mil against the cap weather he is there or cut, so there is no savings.

I'm sure Fangio can find creative ways to use him in hybrid fronts and passing situations.