Muhammad Wilkerson?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

IotaNet
MVP

Now that Ray McDonald is gone, we need to fill that DE slot, as McDonald was expected to provide quality snaps. Is there any chance that Pace & company make a play for Muhammad Wilkerson? If so, what might we be able to offer the Jets that would make sense? (Matt Forte?)

I'm not the best armchair GM so I'll defer to some of you who are to kick this one around.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
G08
Hall of Famer

Probably not. Dude is going to want a LOT of money.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

He'd probably cost us a lot of picks. I think McPhee is a logical choice but I think I'm in the minority.
G08
Hall of Famer

I want McPhee all over the place, but most of the time at OLB.

I think Ferguson takes the spot at LE and Ratliff plays the "Justin Smith" role at RE.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i refuse to believe that mcdonald was a major part of our plans this upcoming year. there had to be a part of the braintrust that knew this worst case scenario was a real possibility.
he was a luxury, and i dont think it changes our plan much going forward.
G08
Hall of Famer

I looked at McDonald as a minimal risk/high return type of signing. If he wasn't a moron he would have been a complete steal for this organization, and for as cheap as the NFL would allow.

Since he was a moron, we got rid of him for exactly nothing but some worthless stories by bored members of the press.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:He'd probably cost us a lot of picks. I think McPhee is a logical choice but I think I'm in the minority.
I don't think you are in the minority. Houston and McPhee will both play end in multiple alignments. Say you pay nickel 40 snaps a game. If both them play 20 or more snaps at end the other 2 5 tech only get 30 snaps.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

I think if we sign anyone it will be veteran cuts during first wave of training camp casualties imo.
LacertineForest
MVP

bearsfaninaz wrote:I think if we sign anyone it will be veteran cuts during first wave of training camp casualties imo.
This is what I'm thinking, as well. I'm not expecting to see another big-time playmaker, but hopefully another player who is serviceable and can fill a sizable role will be added.
G08
Hall of Famer

Red Bryant is just chillin out there too... He'd be a fine addition, IMO, if the price is right (que the music!)
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Red Bryant is just chillin out there too... He'd be a fine addition, IMO, if the price is right (que the music!)
Would be a nice pick up. A two down run defender.
G08
Hall of Famer

Doug Moore

#Jets are actively trying to trade DL M. Wilkerson. FWIW, I've heard that the #Bears due to cap space & interest, would be front runner.
G08
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post
Man that would be something.

What are your thoughts on this:

Swap our 1st picks, 2nd picks, and give them our first 4th round pick (comes to 582 points, just about the #1 pick in the second round).

Our end result:

Muhammad Wilkerson
+
Picks 20, 51, 72, 127, 150, 185, and 230.

Vic Fangio said the defensive line is the engine that makes his defense go. Wilkerson would be an tremendous get.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Adding a second starting 5T would make us legit BPA in the draft and we can afford another mid sized salary no problem... So I'm saying yes.
xyt in the discord chats
G08
Hall of Famer

It all boils down to his contract and compensation. If they take what I offered in my scenario, I'd do it in a second.

Wilkerson
Mackensie Alexander or William Jackson III in the first round
Top rated TE in the second round
Top rated S in the third round

That's a hell of an off-season...
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Been fun watching Greg Gabriel and Aaron Leming subtweet the shit out of each other as they argue what compensation will be for Wilkerson.

Gabriel says that it starts at a #1 at a minimum and likely costs more than that.

Leming says no way is a team going to give up a first - due to injury and price tag.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
G08
Hall of Famer

Former Director of College Scouting, involved in such trade discussions as this.

Blogger.

Leming is an idiot.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Generally player trades do not get a ton of compensation back from draft picks, but Wilkerson is a different animal.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

G08 wrote:Former Director of College Scouting, involved in such trade discussions as this.

Blogger.

Leming is an idiot.

Leming likely is an idiot - but Gabriel is an asshole. The fact that he constantly feels threatened by the likes of Leming is pretty fucking funny.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
UOK
Site Admin

The only journalist in Chicago twitter or news media that I don't like and never will like is Steve Rosenbloom.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

So wait... we'd trade the Jets our 1st and for that we would get Wilkerson for 1 year at $15m? That sounds like a bad deal to me but Gabriel says
Greg Gabriel ‏@greggabe
Put it this way . If Pace got Mo for only Bears 1st, he should be exec of year. That would be a steal
Then we're just back in the same place next year, and we don't have a 2015 first round player on the roster - short term fix. Are we making a super bowl run this year and I didn't realize it?
xyt in the discord chats
MoFugger
Head Coach

crueltyabc wrote:So wait... we'd trade the Jets our 1st and for that we would get Wilkerson for 1 year at $15m? That sounds like a bad deal to me but Gabriel says
Greg Gabriel ‏@greggabe
Put it this way . If Pace got Mo for only Bears 1st, he should be exec of year. That would be a steal
Then we're just back in the same place next year, and we don't have a 2015 first round player on the roster - short term fix. Are we making a super bowl run this year and I didn't realize it?
I was thinking the same. A move like this is at least a year premature for this team.
Pagan
MVP

crueltyabc wrote:So wait... we'd trade the Jets our 1st and for that we would get Wilkerson for 1 year at $15m? That sounds like a bad deal to me but Gabriel says
Greg Gabriel ‏@greggabe
Whenever you make a trade with a player that is tagged there is almost always a new contract that's contingent on the deal. Wilkerson wouldn't be coming to the Bears on a 1 year deal, that's silly talk.
wab
Mod

Wilkerson, coming off a knee injury, for the #11 pick is crazy. I'd swap 1st and 2nd rounders and outright give the Jets the early 4th, but that's as far as I'd go.
UOK
Site Admin

Jets are against a wall. They'll get something for him but it's gonna be a poor return. Bears are no way in hell going to offer anything more than their extra 4th.
wab
Mod

They don't need him, and didn't want to just let him walk, so they kinda screwed themselves. They may be lucky to swap firsts with us for him.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I pressed Greg Gabriel and he's saying that it would cost us a first at least and we would have to make a deal with Wilkerson. So the Bears are basically trading a first rounder for the privilege of negotiating ? Instead of waiting for the jets to waive him? Somehow that makes sense to Greg
xyt in the discord chats
SgtPerry
Journeyman

wab wrote:Wilkerson, coming off a knee injury, for the #11 pick is crazy. I'd swap 1st and 2nd rounders and outright give the Jets the early 4th, but that's as far as I'd go.
Absolutely, I see no urge of wasting our 1st pick for him. May be it is what the Jets Front Office wants but I can't imagine the bears are in such a hurry.
"Good thing you are a Bears fan. No offense to worry about."
UOK 10/26/2020
UOK
Site Admin

crueltyabc wrote:I pressed Greg Gabriel and he's saying that it would cost us a first at least and we would have to make a deal with Wilkerson. So the Bears are basically trading a first rounder for the privilege of negotiating ? Instead of waiting for the jets to waive him? Somehow that makes sense to Greg
I think Gabriel suffers from covering the team for so long that he expects them to make drastically stupid decisions. I don't discredit him or anything at all, I just find that certain guys, especially on twitter, expose how jaded they are if they get too open.
G08
Hall of Famer

I dunno... Wilkerson is arguably the #2 5T in football and will be 27 in October. I think a 4 year deal at roughly 16 per is his market, and to swap first and seconds to get him would be a hell of a deal IMO. He's got NFL tape out there, and it's damned impressive.