OT: Banned but Bountiful: Marijuana Coveted by NFL Players

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

Interesting read during a slow period, mods feel free to move.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2486 ... painkiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm curious to see the role marijuana has in the medical field over the next ten years. Such a preposterous shame it was classified as a schedule 1 drug due to a "lack of evidence stating that it's not harmful". Rubbish. I've come across numerous children and adults during pharmacy rotations that have failed countless numbers of epileptic medications, only to have marijuana (and its oil derivatives) work wonders for them. We should have been studying this drug eons ago.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I have a cousin with MS and he has been prescribed medical mj and he states he is do glad. He said without it he was a mess physically a majority of the mornings. He said now these problems are drastically reduced.

Doctors have told my brother when legal in IL they will prescribe for his blood pressure.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

It should have been legal a long time ago. First because it's use medically. Second because it's a safer recreation then alcohol. Third it's safe. The safety of it has been known for a long time. You can't die from the stuff and the side effects are lazy and hungry. Fourth it's legality has created a sub culture that has turned towards multiple illegal venues.

I never truly enjoyed it myself and only tried it a handful of times. However I easily could see the appeal.
Road
Pro Bowler

I blame big pharmaceutical companies! They know they stand to lose money on prescription drugs when grass is legalized. I sure wish I could try it for my spinal stenosis - herniated disk. It’s becoming a lot harder to get your physician to prescript anything for pain that actually works. :sick:
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I basically think that any option other than putting more opiates/opioids out in the world is a good thing. The percocet-addiction-to-heroin-addiction is the drug war we're facing right now.
xyt in the discord chats
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I have thought the pharmaceutical company thing too.

However I always think of big tobacco. The big tobacco companies have been ready for years to have weed legalized. They have had plans set up to mass produce weed. I assume it will be sold like cigarettes eventually.

Big tobacco has their hands in a lot of politics. I think if they could they would pay for it to be legal.
wab
Mod

It's really just as simple as money. There wasn't a push to make it legal until the money to be made on it (taxes) was more than the money to be made by preventing it (fines etc).
malk
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote:I have thought the pharmaceutical company thing too.

However I always think of big tobacco. The big tobacco companies have been ready for years to have weed legalized. They have had plans set up to mass produce weed. I assume it will be sold like cigarettes eventually.

Big tobacco has their hands in a lot of politics. I think if they could they would pay for it to be legal.
That'll be the big issue if it is legalised. Rather than cottage industries making good weed it'll be mass produced chemical shit that doesn't have half the benefits.

That said, who produces for medical and in legal states now? We're miles behind in the UK.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
MoFugger
Head Coach

wab wrote:It's really just as simple as money. There wasn't a push to make it legal until the money to be made on it (taxes) was more than the money to be made by preventing it (fines etc).
That's actually not true. There is a lot of money that went into tracking down guy holding 8 ounces of pot, busting them, holding them in jail. ... Only to have them burst back across the border when their 90 days were up. And they never paid their fines. Arizona went bankrupt because of the war on drugs.
docc
Head Coach

OK..
Where is the meme of Cutler hot boxing a joint..?

Uh..whatever that is of course..
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:It should have been legal a long time ago. First because it's use medically. Second because it's a safer recreation then alcohol. Third it's safe. The safety of it has been known for a long time. You can't die from the stuff and the side effects are lazy and hungry. Fourth it's legality has created a sub culture that has turned towards multiple illegal venues.

I never truly enjoyed it myself and only tried it a handful of times. However I easily could see the appeal.

there has always been a lot of nonsense and self created politically motivated propaganda regarding this alleged "demon weed" ... from the government funded idiocy of the movie Reefer Madness to the moronic laws where a pot dealer can end up serving more time when convicted than violent criminals with multiple offenses

never could understand why the government had such a hard on against an herb that grows naturally among us ... it is Mother Nature's way of telling us all to mellow the fuck out, and those who need to take that advice are the ones doing their best to ignore it

I'm guessing if the situation was reversed, with alcohol illegal and pot legal, the NFL's player problems would be more to the tune of weight management and tardiness than assaults and DUI's
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin