Blackhawks 2021 Season

6x Stanley Cup Champions

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

They are currently setting with an even record. Might be because they look avg at best. Not sure what to think yet. Will they improve a little or remain severly avg.

Kane has been Kane and he is still worth the $ to watch.

The young guys, some coming on while others are who they are.

It hurt the team to have DeBrincat and Beaudin sit out for the 4 games due to Covid protocol.

Keith is Keith but is slowing down a little more.

Toews mystery illness? Interesting. Is he just sitting out to get a feel for the team? Is he just waiting out the season to see if they are playoff bound?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The Cat is back and he is hot. He has four goals, two assists and 17 shots on goal in three games since returning from Covid sit down. I think he brings back a element of O, playing alongside Kane that can only help this team. It doesn't make them world beaters, just more credible.
UOK
Site Admin

Lankinen's clearly the short-term guy in net, but it's pretty awesome that a lot of these young guys have stepped up to prove the team is halfway-decent.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Kaner with #400 :headbang: :clap: :wave1:
UOK
Site Admin

This team is so odd. On paper they should be a bunch of nothing playing out another weird season, but they're gelling nicely, and SUPER young. Goaltending is still hot and cold, but they're overplaying expectations by a wide mile. Lot of likeable guys on the roster too, and if Toews came back, you wonder if he'd screw up that chemistry. Should be interesting to see if he doesn't retire, anyway.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I guess I put this in the wrong thread, my bad.

I love that the young guys are getting plenty of PT. The D and goal tending are inconsistent, but showing signs of potential.

Not sure what a Toews return would do. I like riding this at the moment.

Shaw needs to remain on IR as well. Probably time for him to walk away like Crow did.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Kaner with #400 !!!!!!!!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I guess I put this in the wrong thread, my bad.

I love that the young guys are getting plenty of PT. The D and goal tending are inconsistent, but showing signs of potential.

Not sure what a Toews return would do. I like riding this at the moment.

Shaw needs to remain on IR as well. Probably time for him to walk away like Crow did.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

they are playing effective and watchable hockey, which is certainly nice ... Lankinen has been a real nice find
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Big two games by the Hawks, taking both from the Panthers. Lankkinen seems to have got his edge back and had a huge game last night. He has rebounded a little since his bad start to March. Pius Suter has been a nice find.
UOK
Site Admin

The previous season's thread was still stickied - fixed.

Hopefully these young guys get to play in front of some home fans soon. The Cubs have been slowly opening up attendance allowance for opening series.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Helluva game last night. They finally got the Predator off their back. I was cussing up a storm when they went down 4-1. Thought it was inevitable they would win. they got serious and finally started putting pressure on the Preds.

I am really liking Hagel. Young kid has some speed and some spunk. Kane just quietly goes about his game. 2nd in the league in assists.

Disappointed in Keith. the last 3-4 games I have watched, he seems done. He has become a liability with the puck. dude has been making some costly turnovers.
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:30 am Helluva game last night. They finally got the Predator off their back. I was cussing up a storm when they went down 4-1. Thought it was inevitable they would win. they got serious and finally started putting pressure on the Preds.

I am really liking Hagel. Young kid has some speed and some spunk. Kane just quietly goes about his game. 2nd in the league in assists.

Disappointed in Keith. the last 3-4 games I have watched, he seems done. He has become a liability with the puck. dude has been making some costly turnovers.
Hagel and Hinostroza are killing it right now. The Blackhawks have needed a couple guys like that to find a rhythm and bolster the team's play.

Also reading that Toews is "getting better," and I guess will potentially be back for next season. There's still no real word on what's wrong, beyond that he's been depressed and lethargic to the point where he can't train. I'm guessing it's related to being concussed as hell for all those years.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Glad to see Hinostroza back. Always kind of liked that guy. did all the little things.

Hagel has been a surpise, as has Suter, Lankinen, and most of the other young guys. I expected a little more out of Ian Mitchell. He will likely come around with more experience.

They have had some bad losses that may keep them out of the playoffs. I think the playoff experience would be beneficial for these young guys.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:37 pmThey have had some bad losses that may keep them out of the playoffs. I think the playoff experience would be beneficial for these young guys.
agreed ... if they do manage to make the playoffs (and that is going to be a very tough road), it would certainly provide a benefit to the young guys and maybe help the old guys to step it up and show they aren't done yet ... would be a good thing all around even if they didn't get far
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

While the season has not gone the way I would have liked, I have really enjoyed the infusion of youth on the team. I have enjoyed watching them this year. I think the future looks bright if Stan can keep some of these guys around on decent deals.

I think Keith needs to hang 'em up. Kane has played really well.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Well, they missed the playoffs, but I can honestly say I enjoyed the year. 9 ROOKIES played this year. That is a huge # in any sport. I really liked what I saw out of all of them. Hell, Kubalik was only in year 2. the Cat is still young. Things could be looking up if Bowman doesn't sign peeps to some stupid contracts.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

agreed ... it was a disappointing end to the season for sure, but the young guys were exciting to watch ... so there is hope
George Carlin