Blackhawks deal Shaw to MTL for 2nd rounders

6x Stanley Cup Champions

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

For two 2nd round picks. Enjoy the payday, Shawzy.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

seems I understand the NHL salary cap even less than I do the NFL ... the Blackhawks have success, and next thing you know, key parts of that are heading elsewhere due to $$$ issues ... this first got my attention back when Dustin Byfuglien

I really liked Byfuglien ... and I thought he played at MVP level for that championship team, while playing whatever role he was tasked at the time ... then poof - he's gone

so ok, I know I said I'd rather see Shaw traded than Bryan Bickell and Teuvo Teravainen ... but now all 3 are gone

I realize teams can't keep everyone and guys are going to leave ... but it seems to me the guys leaving Chicago are key cogs and I don't see other successful teams sacrificing as deeply ... is it just my imagination or is there something to that?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The Hawks have committed a ton of money to 5-6 players on the roster so it makes the midling guys suffer. Shaw supposedly wanted about a $1 mil more than the Hawks were willing to spend. Instead of getting nothing in return, they get pics.

Trading Tuevo still bothers me. If the Hawks thought his money was going to Shaw, well, that didn't work.

I would not be surprised to see Crawford go after next year. I think they screwed themselves with Crawford's deal, Bickell's deal and now it is coming back to haunt them.

I know Toews and Kane deserved what they got, but don't players realize taking a little less helps the team? If you want to be a perennial contender, you need players, and you can't gouge the team even if it is deserved. You only need so much $$.

Wishful thinking on my part.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:I know Toews and Kane deserved what they got, but don't players realize taking a little less helps the team? If you want to be a perennial contender, you need players, and you can't gouge the team even if it is deserved. You only need so much $$.

I think that is everyone's wishful thinking - that individual players will sacrifice a bit (1 bazillion instead of 3) for the good of the team ... but rarely do we seem to see it in action

it does occur, in all pro sports, but it does not seem to be the encouraged mindset from the various players associations ... and when players do give the home team discount, it is not as well publicized as the players who set a new record on the amount they are getting
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:I know Toews and Kane deserved what they got, but don't players realize taking a little less helps the team? If you want to be a perennial contender, you need players, and you can't gouge the team even if it is deserved. You only need so much $$.

I think at the time both sides agreed to these deal, it was believed that by 2019 (at the latest) the 10.5 AAV would be a 'deal' for the team. No one saw the Canadian dollar dropping this much - this fast. The (nearly) flat cap this year has really crunched a lot of teams.

In all honesty....even if they each too $2 less a year .... the Hawks would still be in big trouble with 8 players making over 4 mill a year, and 6 of them making over 5 mill a year (these numbers are WITHOUT Shaw or Bickell)