2017-2018 Chicago Blackhawks reg. season casual chatter

6x Stanley Cup Champions

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:That game was dreadful as hell. Fucking Crawford, feel sorry for the bastard. I can't see him facing less than 30 shots per game with the D in front of him. Seabs and Keith are really showing their age and wear and tear. 5 tripping penalties shows they are a step or 2 slow.

The PP still sucks as they try to be a finesse team out there with all that damn passing, shoot the fucking puck!!! :frustrated:

Plenty of season and I think things will work out, but damn, Crow could be blind by then. he is playing pretty damn well (albeit he has still had his WTF moments).

Well not much has changed except for the BIG fact, Crow has been injured. Time to blow some of this shit up. See if Seabs and/or Keith will waive their no trade clauses. I still of the mind to trade Toews as well. He would have to waive his NT clause as well. Kaner seems to be doing the best of all and keep that scoring.
UOK
Site Admin

It has been so miserable to endure this team. They need to admit they're in a youth/rebuilding phase and start to dump off these bad contracts, possibly including Toews, sadly.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Wow a win!! The Red Wings suck. Nice to see Debrincat lighting the lamp - 3x. Duclair gets first goal. I miss the old Wing v Hawks rivalry. NHL ruined a good thing.

Not sure if Q wants to stay around for the rebuild. I hope he steps down. I don't think I really want to see him fired.
UOK
Site Admin

It was nice to see Duclair make an impact. He could be a key element in them getting something going, finally.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I have enjoyed watching the young guys, most of them. Schmaltz, Osterle, Forsling, Gustafsson, Debrincat. I think they can have a good younger core. The Stanley Cup window has shut on the current team.

The Maple Leaf game, knew they would lose in OT, just did not think it would end that way. I had a good laugh seeing Keith out there with all the Maple Leaf jets. Them young guys are quick. I love Auston Matthews.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I am of the mind to let Crow sit the rest of the year out. Let him really get healthy and over what is ailing him. They are not making the playoffs so let the kid and aged rookie carry the load the rest of the season.

Front office has to do some serious soul searching. They may have to ask some vets to provide a list of teams they would approve getting traded to. May be impossible but they have to do something.
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote:I am of the mind to let Crow sit the rest of the year out. Let him really get healthy and over what is ailing him. They are not making the playoffs so let the kid and aged rookie carry the load the rest of the season.

Front office has to do some serious soul searching. They may have to ask some vets to provide a list of teams they would approve getting traded to. May be impossible but they have to do something.
From what Bowman said to The Athletic recently, the Blackhawks core still has a lot to give, at least in his mind. He wouldn't consider them over the hill until they were approaching 40, but I mean..c'mon, man. Things are going bad, and quickly.

I don't see the trade deadline being much of anything in the way of a shakeup. Nobody's taking Seabrook's contract.

Offseason should be very, very telling.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

They sure as hell better not be buyers. I don't think Bowman is that stupid.

It would be nice if someone came sniffing along for Seabrook - no gonna happen (nice dream though).

I heard him say the core will stay intact :roll: I know he can't say anything else, but damn, 3 of the 4 are not contributing. Their contracts pretty much make them untouchable. I hate to see franchises sink because they hold on to players too long.
UOK
Site Admin

Mark Lazerus went on a really interesting tear into the Blackhawks fan base a night or two ago. Basically saying that he finds it so strange and sad that Blackhawks fans, at least online, are remarkably ungrateful and need to check their privilege.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I don't feel I am hateful towards, Keith , Seabrook or Toews. I just don't want the organization to let them all get old here together. I hate the no movement clauses in the contracts. It is hard to watch Seabs and Keith play right now. I don't cuss them, but for the good of the team, it would be nice to see them traded if possible.

I have friends who are constantly saying, "the Hawks suck", F*ck them, I just have to say, "3 Cups in 8 yrs, I will take that anytime with any team.

It has been a fun ride. The ride is about past its prime. Time for renovations.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Went to bed with the Hawks up 2-1. Get up this a.m. and see they got beat 5-2 :frustrated:

Sharp had a couple of good hits last night. Good to see him come off of his scratches with some passion. did no good, but it was nice to see him jacking some people. They have no physical presence at all. Vegas continues to roll. It is interesting to see an expansion team play so well. They did a helluva job picking the team.
UOK
Site Admin

Hawks have been garbage, but the young guys were fun tonight and a 36 year old beer league player got called into action when the backup's backup got injured. Scott Foster was terrific in his cup of coffee, and the Hawks win 6-3.

1000 career games for Seabs, too.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

UOK wrote:Hawks have been garbage, but the young guys were fun tonight and a 36 year old beer league player got called into action when the backup's backup got injured. Scott Foster was terrific in his cup of coffee, and the Hawks win 6-3.

1000 career games for Seabs, too.
2 things the Hawks need to win now:

1. Goalie: Against Buffalo, the Hawks had so many more SOG. But when we let in a higher %, it just doesn't matter.

2. Defensive enforcer: The Hawks just don't play good defense any more. We're slow and we don't hit anyone. I watched a couple guys try to give a check that was just shrugged off.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Hawks have been garbage, but the young guys were fun tonight and a 36 year old beer league player got called into action when the backup's backup got injured. Scott Foster was terrific in his cup of coffee, and the Hawks win 6-3.
its like a fairy tale come true for this guy

How did a 36-year-old accountant play goalie in Chicago Blackhawks' win?
A 36-year-old accountant made seven saves for the Chicago Blackhawks in an NHL game Thursday night.

Yes, you read that correctly.

After starter Anton Forsberg was hurt during what coach Joel Quenneville described as a "pregame ritual," and backup Collin Delia cramped up early in the third period, the Blackhawks turned to Scott Foster, an emergency goalie and married father of two who plays in two recreational leagues. He signed a contract, put on his gear and then, amazingly, stopped all seven shots he faced.

"The initial shock happened when I had to dress," Foster told reporters after Chicago's 6-2 win over the Winnipeg Jets. "I think you just kind of black out after that."

In a postgame scrum with reporters, Foster estimated that he's attended 12 to 15 games this season as an emergency backup, which typically amounts to watching the game from the press box and eating dinner.

But not on Thursday night.

"A few hours ago I was sitting on the computer typing on a 10-key," Foster said. "Now I’m standing in front of you guys having just finished 14 and a half minutes of NHL hockey."
that's a pretty cool bright spot to a shit season

and this is pretty funny :
Can anyone top Foster's night?

While there's never been a man-off-the-street situation like Foster's, the Blackhawks had another pretty legendary situation involving an emergency goaltender in 1938 — and in the Stanley Cup Finals, no less.

The story, as outlined by The Los Angeles Times and others, goes like this: The Blackhawks were set to play the Toronto Maple Leafs in Game 1, but their starting goaltender learned on the day of the game that he had broken his toe in the last game. The backup goaltender couldn't make it to Toronto in time. So the Blackhawks were forced to sign minor-leaguer Alfie Moore, who lived in the area.

Moore had played professional hockey at one level or another for a decade, but the twist is that on this day, he had supposedly been drinking.

"As the story goes, when Moore was picked to participate in the series, he was at a local bar," Brian Cronin wrote in The Times. "Various stories conflict over how drunk he was, but the main part of the story remained that he was plucked from a local bar on the afternoon of Game 1 and thrown into the Stanley Cup Finals."

Chicago went on to win the game, 3-1.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

It was truly an awesome game to watch. The win helped. Foster was down to earth and funny as hell in the post game interview. Not only have they been a little inexperienced this year (young guys), some of the older guys have slowed down and the D was pathetic this year. Too much pressure on the goalies.