Jonathan Toews battling immune syndrome, plans to resume play

6x Stanley Cup Champions

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/b ... story.html

Jonathan Toews, who missed the entire 2020-21 season for the Chicago Blackhawks, revealed he has “chronic immune response syndrome” in a video tweeted Wednesday morning.

“I just think there were a lot of things that just piled up where my body just fell apart,” Toews says in the video announcing his plans to return to the team. “So what they’re calling it was chronic immune response syndrome where I just couldn’t quite recover and my immune system was reacting to everything that I did, any kind of stress. Anything that I would do throughout the day.”

Toews also told the Athletic that he’s “probably a COVID long-hauler” dating to February 2020, but he didn’t say definitively whether he received a positive test at the time.

In Wednesday’s two-minute video, Toews walks through the doors of Fifth Third Arena, the Hawks’ practice facility. The star center and captain said before last season that a then-unspecified illness left him feeling “lethargic.” He later was placed on long-term injured reserve and missed the entire season.

“It feels great. It’s been a long time,” Toews says in the video. “Honestly, I haven’t taken this much time off in probably ever, since I was a kid at least. It’s nice to be back in Chicago, see the guys again. Slowly but surely just settle in again into the life and the routine again. So it’s a good feeling.”
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Glad he finally came out with this news. All the speculating and rumor mongering can end now. Interesting it came out when the lawsuit is ramping up (sexual assault by the video guy).

I see there is some Duncan Keith trade talk as well. I would not hate that.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

hope he recovers and has a nice long life, with or without hockey ... the Blackhawks missed him in the lineup for sure, so having him back would be nice ... but health first
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin