Chicago Blackhawks Hockey Thread

6x Stanley Cup Champions

Moderator: wab

RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Alex Ovechkin was suspended for two games without pay by the National Hockey League on Monday for his hit on Blackhawks defenseman Brian Campbell early in Sunday's game in Chicago that reportedly has ended Campbell's regular season.

NHL Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell ruled that it was a "reckless" hit by Ovechkin, who received a five-minute boarding major and a game misconduct on the play that occurred 12:16 into the first period.

Ovechkin, now considered a repeat offender under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, forfeits $232,645.40 in salary, based on the number of games in the season (82), rather than the number of days (193). The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

Brian Campbell reportedly suffered a broken clavicle and broken ribs after Ovechkin shoved him into the end boards. He was scheduled to meet with a team doctor Monday afternoon for further evaluation.

Ovechkin, who has three game misconducts this season, will miss Tuesday's game at Florida and Thursday's at Carolina. He's eligible to return Saturday at Tampa Bay. Washington has already clinched the Southeast Division title and is 6-2 without Ovechkin this season.

Ovechkin was previously suspended for two games for his knee-on-knee hit on Carolina defenseman Tim Gleason in the Capitals' 3-2 win on Nov. 30. He received a kneeing major and a game misconduct on that play.

He was booted from a game Nov. 25 in Buffalo after receiving a five-minute boarding major and a game misconduct for his hit on Patrick Kaleta 3:38 into the third period. There was no supplemental discipline for that play.

The back-to-back Hart Trophy winner said after Sunday's game he didn't think his hit on Campbell was so bad and he wasn't sure if he would hear from the League on Monday.

"It was not a hard hit," he told reporters. "I just pushed him. It's just a moment in the game. I don't think it has to be five minutes or something like that. I just felt bad. That's it."

Ovechkin also added, "I respect everybody. We respect everybody here in the locker room and outside, but over there (on the ice) we play for our team. We make some hard hits and sometimes you get hurt. That's a hockey game."

Ovechkin, who has two inches and more than 40 pounds on Campbell, couldn't say if his size advantage played a part in Campbell's unfortunate fall. He crumpled into the boards after Ovechkin pushed him.

"I don't hit him hard. I just pushed him, but he fell bad," Ovechkin said. "You can see every shift it happens, little pushes, little battles."

Campbell's defense partner, Niklas Hjalmarsson, called for Ovechkin to be suspended.

"I thought it was a late hit," Hjalmarsson told the Chicago Tribune. "That's the kind of situation you really hurt yourself. I hope they take a good look at that hit and suspend him for a couple of games."

Washington right wing Mike Knuble told the Washington Post on Monday that he'd like to see Ovechkin harness some of his aggressiveness for his own good.

"He has the reputation that he plays hard," Knuble told the newspaper. "But things seem to be happening around him. You would like to see him being more careful because, No. 1, you don't want to see him hurt himself and, No. 1, so he doesn't miss games."
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

generally, most of the whines about Ovechkin are just that ... yes, he likes to hit most anything that moves, but for the most part, those hits are within the rules ... over aggressive perhaps but legal

and many are quite entertaining, like his cleaning of Jagr's clock in the Olympics ... Jagr looked like Charlie Brown, with equipment flying off

however, I agree his hit on Campbell was late and uncalled for, and I am not just saying that as a homer Blackhawks fan ... so his suspension and other punishment is warranted I believe
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

It was a straight up push into the back of his numbers. Not cool. I don't think he meant to wreck the guys bones into pieces, but it wasn't a "hockey players playing hockey" type it, it was just a dude being overagressive and getting caught. Sucks for Campbell, but sucks mostly for the hawks who are waning badly since the break.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Ducks' Wisniewski suspended for 8 games

The Associated Press
Thursday, March 18, 2010; 7:32 PM

TORONTO -- Anaheim Ducks defenseman James Wisniewski has been suspended for eight games without pay on Thursday for delivering a hit to the head area of Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook.

The incident occurred at 2:22 of the second period during Wednesday night's 4-2 win by Anaheim. Wisniewski was assessed a minor penalty for charging. Seabrook suffered an injury on the play.

Wisniewski, who was suspended two games on Oct. 31, 2009, is considered a repeat offender under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. He will forfeit $268,292 in salary.

"Mr. Wisniewski delivered a retaliatory hit to the head of an opponent who never had possession of the puck," said Colin Campbell, NHL Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations. "The fact that Mr. Wisniewski is a repeat offender also entered into this decision."

Wisniewski will be eligible to return April 3 at Los Angeles.

"I am truly sorry that my friend Brent Seabrook was hurt on the play. I certainly wish him the best," he said in a statement. "I am, however, very disappointed in the length of the suspension. Eight games is incredibly hard to swallow, especially in comparison to other recent hits that have resulted in lesser punishment."
UOK
Site Admin

Quenville urges 'Hawks to play clean
LOS ANGELES — The Blackhawks are mad as hell and aren't going to take it anymore.

But instead of taking to the streets screaming, they plan on taking care of matters on the ice.

After watching two of their top players go down on illegal hits in their previous two games, the Hawks appear ready to fight back.

First, Brian Campbell was lost for seven to eight weeks because of a reckless hit from the Capitals' Alex Ovechkin on Sunday.

Then Brent Seabrook was injured Wednesday when the Ducks' James Wisniewski stormed down the ice and crashed into his former teammate, appearing to knock Seabrook unconscious briefly.

Seabrook didn't play Thursday night when the Hawks beat the Kings 3-0 at the Staples Center to snap a three-game losing streak. Tomas Kopecky scored two third-period goals and Troy Brouwer notched his 20th in the first period for the Hawks. Antti Niemi made 17 saves for his fifth shutout of the season.

It's undetermined how much time Seabrook will miss. He was sidelined earlier this season with a concussion.

Ovechkin was suspended for two games while the NHL announced Thursday that Wisniewski will be out the Ducks' next eight games.

"We're going to have to be more physical and start playing the body more," Hawks winger Dustin Byfuglien said. "Then teams will start setting back a little bit."

The league considers such hits as dangerous, with Wisniewski's more serious because of the clear intent to injure Seabrook.

Hawks defenseman Duncan Keith has a succinct plan to cut down on such hits.

"Maybe start doing it back," he said. "Just start hitting from behind a little bit and see how it goes."

Keith immediately fought Wisniewski on Wednesday night and as the clock wound down on the Ducks' 4-2 victory, newcomer Nick Boynton also took him on.

"That's the way the game should be played," Boynton said afterward, blood dripping down his cheek from a blow near his left eye. "I know these guys would have my back."

Hawks coach Joel Quenneville was livid after Wednesday's game.

"You hit a guy without the puck, you can kill a guy," said Quenneville, who played more than 10 years in the NHL. "It's the most dangerous hit in the history of the game. He tried to hurt him."

On Thursday, Quenneville was calm as he said the way to retaliate is to stay in control.

"We have to be smart and getting even is playing hard within the rules," he said. "You have to play with a purpose and keep it under control. You're playing to win the shift, you're playing to win the game with a purpose every time you're out there."

General manager Stan Bowman said the onus to police the game should fall to the players but they shouldn't take an eye-for-an-eye approach.

"Ultimately the players are the ones who control these events," he said. " We have to get a little respect back in the game from player to player."

Showing little respect, Ducks general manager Bob Murray -- a former Hawks GM and player -- responded to Quenneville's postgame comments.

"I played in Chicago a long time," Murray said. "I live in the city of Chicago. It used to be a black-and-blue town. It didn't have whiners. I strongly suggest Joel (worry) about his goaltending."

Wisniewski apologized to Seabrook.

"I am truly sorry my friend was hurt on the play," Wisniewski said. "I am, however, very disappointed in the length of the suspension. Eight games is incredibly hard to swallow, especially in comparison to other recent hits that have resulted in lesser punishment."
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Sorry, you guys have a lot of really good talent, but with Quenneville behind the bench, you'll be lucky to make the second round.

Just look at his history. I've seen him go belly up with a team that won a president’s trophy.
UOK
Site Admin

I'm upset they still don't have Savard, but outside of him I think Quenville's not a bad head coach. Stanley cup worthy, probably not, but I think he's the right guy for right now.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

UrlachersOranjKleats wrote:I'm upset they still don't have Savard, but outside of him I think Quenville's not a bad head coach. Stanley cup worthy, probably not, but I think he's the right guy for right now.

yeah, he's good, but as a Blues' season ticket holder......I gotta hate on him. He blew a golden oppertunity and ran Hull out of town.
UOK
Site Admin

I don't really follow the blues too much, didn't they used to be in the playoffs quite often? Always the bridesmaid but never the bride type deal year after year?
UOK
Site Admin

Seabrook still hasn't forgiven hit
Brent Seabrook isn't quite ready to let bygones be bygones.

The Blackhawks defenseman said Monday that he's continuing to rebound from a concussion caused by a hit by former teammate James Wisniewski during the second period of last Wednesday's game in Anaheim.

Coach Joel Quenneville said Seabrook is likely to play on Tuesday when the Hawks host Phoenix.

"I've got better gradually, rode the bike, had some headaches ...(but) I'm starting to feel less pressure in my head," Seabrook said after Monday's practice.
Seabrook was slammed into the glass in apparent retaliation for an earlier second-period hit on Anaheim's Corey Perry . Wisniewski skated toward Seabrook and delivered a hit into the glass and the Hawks defenseman fell to the ice.

Wisniewski was suspended for eight games by the NHL.

Seabrook said he remains disappointed that the severe hit came from someone he considers a friend.

"I think any time something like that happens, I think it's tough to handle regardless," Seabrook said. "But coming from a friend, coming from a guy you know pretty good, that's got to be one of the most difficult things to go through."

"He's tried to get in touch but I haven't talked to him," he said. "It's going to take some time. He says he's sorry, but I'm going to take my time."

Quenneville said Seabrook had been on the ice several times since the incident.

"He's skated three times now," Quenneville said. "He skated in Phoenix and then skated on his own before going into the game that day and he looked fine, got some exposure to some coverage as well and seems ready to go."
UOK
Site Admin

Niemi shuts out Coyotes as Blackhawks aim to win the west

Antti Niemi delivered for the Blackhawks and then had a special prize delivered to him.

The goaltender was the first recipient of a championship boxing belt after his performance Tuesday night during which Niemi recorded his sixth shutout of the season to lead the Hawks to a 2-0 victory over the Coyotes in a showdown for the top of the Western Conference at the United Center.

The belt was courtesy of defenseman Brent Seabrook, who purchased it while the Hawks were in Glendale, Ariz., over the weekend.

"It's a team prize," said Niemi, who made 28 saves to help the Hawks take a two-point lead over the Coyotes and one over the Sharks in the conference. "The team chooses every winning game the hardest working (player). It's a little bit new. It feels good."

Niemi is the first to possess the belt, but it could be passed around after the way the Hawks came together defensively to shut down the hottest team in the league. The Coyotes had their nine-game winning streak snapped as the Hawks won for the second time in their last three games — both Niemi shutouts.

Patrick Kane and Marian Hossa scored goals and Niemi took another step toward securing the No. 1 goaltending job with the victory. It also avenged a 5-4 shootout loss to the Coyotes on Saturday night.

"It's a big win," said Niemi, who improved to 20-5-3 on the season. "The team played a lot more compact game in our own end. Even when we were winning 2-0 we just wanted to play good ‘D' and not give them too many scoring chances."

The Hawks did just that as they outshot the Coyotes 32-28 and controlled play for much of the night.

"We want to be in first place and it was a huge win for us," said Seabrook, who returned to the Hawks after missing two games with a concussion suffered last Wednesday in Anaheim. "The guys really came out and answered the bell."

After a scoreless first, Kane opened the scoring early in the second when he took a pass from Troy Brouwer and fired a wicked wrist shot from the left dot that sailed past Coyotes goalie Ilya Bryzgalov.

Midway through the period, Hossa extended the lead. From the left circle, the veteran winger gathered the puck and flipped a shot between Bryzgalov's pads. Niemi and the defense took over from there.

"We were a little more confident in our own zone," Hawks captain Jonathan Toews said. "They're a team that's going to put pressure on you, especially when you're up as long as we were for two goals. We put three solid periods back to back and our goaltending was great (Tuesday night). That's what added up for the win."

The Hawks finished their regular-season series with a 1-1-2 record against the Coyotes and now have defeated every team in the Western Conference at least once.

"I thought it was a goalie win. I thought (Niemi) was great," Hawks coach Joel Quenneville said. "He made three or four (saves) that looked like empty nets. His quickness and desperation led to some amazing saves."
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Huge, huge win for the Hawks. Getting points while the Coyotes got none.
UOK
Site Admin

imprint3454 wrote:Huge, huge win for the Hawks. Getting points while the Coyotes got none.
Definitely! It's great they're winning bigtime games this time of year, they need to get warm going into the playoffs and get to the cup!!!
UOK
Site Admin

Huet returns with Hawks nearing playoff-goalie decision time
With decision time nearing on who will be the Blackhawks' No. 1 goaltender in the playoffs, Cristobal Huet will return to the nets Thursday against the Blue Jackets in Columbus.

The veteran goaltender hasn't played since March 13, when he yielded two goals late in the third period in a 3-2 loss to the Flyers. Antti Niemi has started the last three games, including Tuesday night's 28-save, 2-0 shutout over the Coyotes.

"Huet hasn't played since that Philly game and he played very well and we want to get him going, too," coach Joel Quenneville said.

Quenneville still hasn't decided on his No. 1 goaltender for the postseason, but for the first time gave a timetable of when he might make the decision.

"As we go down a short number of games -- I know we have 10 left -- that five or inside of five I think it might be clear (and) you might go with one guy," Quenneville said. "We want both guys confident in the net and we want both guys to be playing well. They both deserve an opportunity to keep playing and keep getting a chance to be the guy."
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

while the goaltending situation has me on edge a little, I think the Blackhawks are getting the rest of their shit together at the right time

I hope it is Blackhawks vs Capitals in the Stanley Cup, so I can actually go see a game or 2
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Blackhawks look to clinch playoff berth tonight
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- There are several ways for the Blackhawks to clinch a postseason berth Thursday night, but the simplest one is if they defeat the Blue Jackets at Nationwide Arena.

"That's definitely in our minds tonight," winger Troy Brouwer said. "We've worked all season to try to give ourselves a good spot going into the playoffs. Right now we're sitting in a really good spot. Tonight with two points we can clinch a playoff spot and we're going to be really happy with the progress we've had so far this season."

The Hawks are on top of the Central Division with 99 points, 10 ahead of the second-place Predators with two games in hand.

Here are the other scenarios for the Hawks to clinch a Western Conference playoff spot, according to the team and NHL:

* If the Hawks get one point against the Blue Jackets and the Flames lose in regulation or overtime/shootout to the Islanders.
* If the Flames lose in regulation to the Islanders.

Cristobal Huet will be in goal for the Hawks, who are seeking their fifth win of the season in as many games against Columbus. Huet is 3-0-0 and a 2.61 goals-against average with one shutout in 2009-10 against the Blue Jackets. In his career vs. Columbus, Huet is 6-2-1 and a 2.61 goals-against.

Patrick Sharp leads the Hawks with 12 goals and 11 assists in 29 career games against the Blue Jackets. Marian Hossa (12 goals, eight assists in 14 games), Patrick Kane (seven and 12 in 18) and Jonathan Toews (seven and 10 in 17) have all averaged at least a point per game against Columbus in their careers.
UOK
Site Admin

Huet looked like a freakin joke out there tonight. Give me Niemi for the playoffs, PLEASE. Hell, bring up Crawford even.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Don't fret, you guy can get the ship straightened out Tuesday when you play the Blues here in St. Louis.

We've got the 4th best record on the road, but we are the worst in the league at home.
UOK
Site Admin

God damn. The hawks are f**king sliding badly. I'm thinking a 1st round out the way they're playing.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

just last week, the talk was the hottest teams being the Capitals and the Blackhawks and how they might be meeting in the Stanley Cup Final ... now both are on a slide (the Capitals were simply crushed by Calgary the other night)
George Carlin
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

how you boys like that ass whoppin' last night?
UOK
Site Admin

get the kicks in while you can
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

UrlachersOranjKleats wrote:get the kicks in while you can

While I can?

We're up and coming and going to have over 20 mill in cap space, while your in cap hell and have to cut guys/let guys walk this off season.
UOK
Site Admin

http://www.letsgoblues.com/

these guys may care more than I lol
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

UrlachersOranjKleats wrote:http://www.letsgoblues.com/

these guys may care more than I lol

Oh, I post there plenty.
UOK
Site Admin

Blackhawks turned it around BIGTIME tonight on the road against Minny. Niemi played insanely good, watch the highlights folks, he stoned Koivu a handful of times with blatant highway robberies. The rest of the guys did their job and put the puck in the net. Let's roll!
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Clearly this team peaked way too early.
UOK
Site Admin

Bigtime win vs. Devils, not the most impressive for nearly 3 periods, but the Hawks come back and win. Keep it up boys!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

for the first time in 17 years, the Chicago Blackhawks are a Division Champion

it happened on Sunday, prior to their game against Calgary, as the Philadelphia Flyers slapped down the hated Detroit Red Wings ... the 'Hawks then cruised to a 4-1 win over a desperate Calgary team

the Blackhawks are a solid team this year ... a nice blend of young and old, and have 2 solid lines, either of which can be called #1 ... their Achilles Heel is their goaltending which can alternate between superb and suck, sometimes from 1 period to the next in the same game

but, this is has been the most enjoyable season I've had watching them in some time

Hawks Win Central, Douse Flames

plus, I like what they've come up with to replace their Zamboni:

Chicago Blackhawks Ice Girls
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

Nice... that the Blackhawks won the division (I hate hockey but my uncle's a Blackhawks fan... if I was forced at gunpoint to pick a team...) but the girls too. Half-naked girls on ice... why is that so hot?
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!