Chicago Blackhawks Hockey Thread

6x Stanley Cup Champions

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

WOO! One more, baby! Insane game.
Stay_Cool
MVP

UOK wrote:WOO! One more, baby! Insane game.
You mean 5 more ;)
Don't tell me the sky's the limit... There's footprints on the moon!!!
Bears_40
Player of the Month

Stay_Cool wrote:
UOK wrote:WOO! One more, baby! Insane game.
You mean 5 more ;)
Bingo. But one at a time. The Hawks sure are fun to watch.

I stand alone.

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Bears_40 and 0 guests
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

that was an excellent effort by the whole team ... Kane stepping up when needed most, working so well with anyone and everyone in a 'Hawks jersey, shows what being an actual team leader is all about ... Captain Toews was no slouch either ... awesome effort

looked like Crawford was ready to drop the gloves and go on his confrontation with Quick :

[video][/video]
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

When you give up the lead as many times as the Blackhawks did in a game 7, you're bound to lose.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
UOK
Site Admin

Crawford was honestly horrible this entire series but the defense from guys like Rozsival, Versteeg, Handzus, Seabrook, and Leddy have all been absolutely atrocious as well. The offense bailed them out thanks to Kane, Toews, and Saad rising from their comas to spark the comeback.

Need to get younger, play more young guns, get better depth, and cut Handzus, Versteeg, and Rozsival.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

Let the record show that I did my part... completely missed the last 3 games. It did not work in the end, but it aint my fault.

(I know dick-all about (aboot?) hockey so sorry that this is my sort of contribution to the thread.)
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

They gave up too many leads throughout the series, especially 2 goal leads. The winning goal..... enough said.

The better team won and I have no problem saying that. There will be some changes as always and they will be back next year. I don't think there is much they have to do outside of cutting loose the old guys (Zus and rosival). I don't expect Versteeg back either.

I think the future is still bright with the way Saad, Ben Smith and Leddy played. Morin showed some stuff in regular season and kind of anxious to see what Tevo can do. Add a little more size (that can skate) and they are back where they were this year.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

well ... not the way I expected things to finish after the Blackhawks came back to tie the series

I give the LA Kings credit ... they just kept coming back ... their first goal almost made me sick to my stomach ... what a weird play that was ... and their overtime game winner looked like the puck had eyes of its own to find its way into the net

oh well
George Carlin
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I should think so ... they are the heart of the team
George Carlin
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

UOK
Site Admin

Apparently Sharp is kind of a sleazebag and started some serious shit with a key player last year.

http://thecommittedindian.com/exit-inte ... ick-sharp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Apparently Sharp is kind of a sleazebag and started some serious shit with a key player last year.

http://thecommittedindian.com/exit-inte ... ick-sharp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

even if true, and even if he is an asshole, he is a very talented one who has contributed well to the team ... I like that line in the article about seeing the tiger and then being surprised the tiger is eating people ... the Blackhawks seem to have been willing to enhance Sharp's rep in interesting ways

however, now there seems to be a bit of rancor over trade rumors :
Trade rumor hits nerve with Patrick Sharp's agent
Rick Curran strongly disputes 'complete fabrication' Blackhawks are shopping team's leading scorer

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014 ... trick-kane" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Carlin
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

UOK
Site Admin

This was a Bowman move to Q: You can't get away with junkers like Bollig taking up roster space unjustifiably anymore. He signed Morin, Rasmussen, and LeBlanc to 1-way deals, re: Play them. You have no flexibility to send them down at your convenience anymore.

Quenneville is a good coach, but he is too quick to pull opportunities away from players who need ice time to develop and grow at the pro level. The Blackhawks are always in a win-now mode with Kane and Toews on the roster, but there's not much cap space and too many prospects to keep flushing Rockford with NHL-ready talent.

Q will no doubt harp and bitch about midway through the season about there not being enough grit and defensive yata-yata, which will surely mean the mid-season acquisition of a 34+ year old garbage player from some other team to fill the void while the young guys get buried on the 4th line and/or healthy scratched. I hope they all play so damn well that he has no choice but to keep letting them skate.

Bury Versteeg on the 4th line or HS him forever. Waive his ass. Don't play Brookbank at wing. Let Raanta start more games.

Play prospects. The team will still make the playoffs.

Bollig is an ok regular season guy whose only skills were fighting and checking. His defense was alright; his offense was non-existent; his contract unmerited. Sorry Q. You can't have your toys.
CRM 114
Journeyman

^Well Said
UOK
Site Admin

Blackhawks ink Richards, an old center who is not exactly awesome these days. Cheap, short contract. Basically filler until Teuvo is ready.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

OH FUCKING HAPPY DAY!
The Chicago Blackhawks have reached eight-year deals with star forwards Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane, the team announced Wednesday.

Each contract is worth a total of $84 million, sources said.
Source: Kane, Toews agree for $84M
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Pretty good deal for the Hawks. Rumored cap will go up to about $80 mil by 2016 (as I heard on radio). I can see Sharp being traded soon possibly.

Both are highest paid in NHL now at roughly $10.5 mil a year.

Great day.
UOK
Site Admin

Basically dooms Seabrook and Sharp. These deals are contingent on the cap and NHL continuing to rise in value, because otherwise the Blackhawks are a top heavy bunch that are doomed to rotate cheaps around these two megastars.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Damn preseason hockey already. Kane looking good. some project a 100 pt season for him.
UOK
Site Admin

I'm worried for Jeremy Morin. The guy signed a 1-way deal but that may not mean shit. The 'Hawks are trying to force a package of Leddy and Versteeg but I haven't heard anything about teams nibbling. If Versteeg doesn't get moved to open up that 3rd line, you gotta think that Morin will be traded or outright waived. Ridiculous. I want the kid to get his chance as a Blackhawk. He's earned it.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I am with you. Supposedly Versteeg is 100% now after fighting through leg injury last preseasosn that affected him all year. You have to keep Morin, the guy had flashes last year where his ability came thru. I don't want this team all the sudden being ready for the geriatric ward.
UOK
Site Admin

Sounds like Morin's a lock to start the season on the 4th line with Kruger and Smith, which should be a lot of fun. They'll be forced to trade a defensemen before the cap deadline, so I'm curious who goes. I'd like to see Trevor Van Reimsdyk get a chance to make the squad. He's the perfect Q d-man.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Blues squad looking far better then ever.

Should make it even more disappointing when we get bounced in the playoffs.

That said....if any of you play Fantasy Hockey....Vladimir Tarasenko is a sneaky bet for 40 + goals.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Just saw a tweet. Nick Leddy being sent to the Islanders.
UOK
Site Admin

They didn't get much at all from the Isles. There's a couple prospects who are unimpressive and a young guy in Brennan who probably won't pan out. Q always hated Leddy anyway.

Sticking with Oduya and Rozsival is going to blow up in Quenneville's face. Rozsi will get hurt and Oduya's mercurial as hell. I think we'll see Van Reimsdyk get a legit chance to shine and the young D prospects will be up sooner rather than later.

What irritates me is the Carcillo acquisition. Why? Morin's barely going to play at this rate. I hate Q sometimes.
UOK
Site Admin

Blackhawks only played 1 period tonight and won in OT. That third period was incredible. Playoff quality hockey. Crawford played like a champion.