Blackhawks vs. Bolts: 2015 Stanley Cup Final

6x Stanley Cup Champions

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Starts on Weds. night in Tampa at 7pm CT.
UOK
Site Admin

Mark Lazerus, the Sun-Times Blackhawks beat guy and chief authority on 'Hawks coverage the last few years, not only picked Chicago/Tampa in the Final back in October, but has them winning this series in 6.

I refuse to make any predictions, but I just thought it was kind of remarkable that he called this back in October.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I could see him picking the Hawks, but Tampa? Wow, good for him. they didn't put the Triplett line together until October, I heard that this a.m.

Midway thru season I thought no way Hawks would make Cup finals. Their D was on the downside of sucking at that point. They made a lier out of me, too bad for me I guess :) Don't mind being wrong.

People think it will be a little higher scoring final, for that I expect it to be the usual 2-1 type games.

I saw Bishop play in the minors many years ago in Peoria. Was amazed at how tall the mother was, 6'7" or so. He's beatable and I think he will have a case of the yips. Crow will be strong. Be nice if it gets done early, thinking hard about making the parade this time.
Stay_Cool
MVP

My friend thinks Hawks in 5... he was drunk but he hasn't missed a series prediction yet (although he said Wild in 5 and we swept so maybe thats the key!)
Don't tell me the sky's the limit... There's footprints on the moon!!!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I see no reason to expect this series to be less than the full 7 games ... I'd like to see the Blackhawks sweep, but realistically don't think it will happen nor do I expect it to

the 'Hawks will put up a stinker or 2 and Tampa will have a game where they play out of their minds ... so there's Tampa's 3 wins ... and of the 4 'Hawks wins, 2 will be in OT

there's my prediction for Blackhawks in 7

I fully expect Chicago's 3 amigos to lead the way and everyone else to follow

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Tampa already policing tickets and fans to make sure as few Blackhawks fans as possible are present.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/21/sport ... .html?_r=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Road
Pro Bowler

Hawks look like they’re experiencing jetlag so far. Not even many shots on goal off the powerplay. I’m sure they’re just sizing up he Ning and will have their number shortly.

C'mon Blackhawks!
UOK
Site Admin

Hawks are looking old. Bolts are fast as hell and executing in all the ways the Hawks aren't. Need to count their lucky stars it's not 4-0 and pray a deflection goes in to tie it up.
Road
Pro Bowler

Okay, it's a new game and the Hawks aren't looking so old anymore.
Road
Pro Bowler

Exciting game, Blackhawks will not be denied!
UOK
Site Admin

I'll take that.
docc
Head Coach

Good for me..

2-1..

HAWKS..!
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

I don't watch a lot of hockey... pretty much just whenever the Hawks get deep into the playoffs. Same goes for baseball with the Cubs (so a LOT less baseball...).

Anyway the most impression I get during the season is UOK bitching on facebook when they're doing bad and I have to ask, does it constantly seem to go (all season) like: Hawks get puck, advance puck past blue line, shoot puck around the back, lose puck, play defense for 5 minutes, repeat?
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Fun third period. Tevo made some big plays.

KOP I like you don't watch our know a ton about hockey but love hockey playoffs. It does seem at times the Hawks struggle to keep the puck in the offensive zone. I asked Otis about that. He said it's their style. Kind of an open ice game. Let their skill pick other teams apart. At least that's what I took from it.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

When teams like Tampa are waiting at the blue line and not really letting you carry the puck into your offensive zone, that is when dump and chase hockey takes place. Tampa has the speed to match Chicago. While they are not known for their D or physicality, the can still be effective in the neutral zone. Tampa has some good D men who they want to clog things up at the blue line. Chicago wasn't able to exploit too much last night. I think we see what can happen when they get bodies in front of the net though. You have to against Bishop, the s.o.b. is so big.

Like what I have seen out of Teuvo in the playoffs. His D is under estimated, he gets a stick in there quite a bit. Can't wait for him to start putting on a little muscle.

Seems like the consensus was that the game was boring. I thought otherwise. I thought it was a good hard fought game. TB dominated the first period easily and Crow saved the Hawks. I thought it pretty even in the second and thought the Hawks dominated the 3rd. Think TB went into that "don't lose " shell and they paid for it.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Seems like the consensus was that the game was boring.
anyone who thinks that really does not understand hockey

Tampa Bay came out with a high risk, high reward game plan for the first period and seemed to catch the Blackhawks by surprise ... it was a very interesting first period and a credit to Chicago they survived it only being down 1 goal

the rest of the game was like a chess match, each team altering strategies and adjusting line play to find an edge

the third period was a disaster for Tampa and I think their strategy sucked ... as Jeremy Roenick said after, it seemed like they were playing not to lose rather than playing for the win ... and without that early aggression they showed, it was just a matter of time before the Blackhawks figured out their prevent defense ... and they did it by pressing on the attack and outfighting Tampa Bay for the puck ... it was beautiful ... and I am sure took a lot of wind out of the Lightning balloon when the Blackhawks left the ice with the win
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Tampa fucked up by thinking 1 was enough and couldn't extinguish the Blackhawks aggression late. That game should've been a 4-2, 5-2 Lightning win, but Tampa couldn't finish.

Blackhawks can be a very frustrating team to watch when they're forced to play dump and chase. They're so much better when they can usher past the blue line and either work the side boards or play it along the blue line. The Bolts were clogging up the neutral zone, sure, but the Hawks passes were shit too. I don't think Bishop is gonna be much more giving than two or three goals this series so Crawford and the defense needs to keep it up.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

If they can get into Bishops head, he will be a goner. He has had 3 games of giving up 5 goals, so they can get to him. They key is just getting guys to set up in front of him IMO. Bolts are a fast team, it should be an interesting series.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Heard a stat today on radio, Hawks are 10-1 when outshot by their opponents during the playoffs Pretty interesting stat. Kudos to Crow.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

HAWKS!!!! God DAMMIT I love playoff hockey.

Look. The lightning came out in the first period and knocked the Hawks back on their heels. Chicago didn't seem to be skating with a purpose, and they were flat out, out hustled by the Lightning. The second period was a chess match. Each one trying to figure out what the other was doing. In the third period, coach Q got it right, and made the correct adjustments. The Hawks, if they play like they did in the last 10 minutes of the third period, will make this a short series. The question is, can Tampa make the appropriate adjustments to deal with the Hawks. My guess is....no. Not enough Stanley Cup ice experience, and not enough coaching experience. Coach Q is one of the VERY best at adjustments. Just ask Anaheim.

The fact of the matter is that the Lightning can match the Hawks on the first two lines, if Kane and Toews are skating together, like the Anaheim series. But these aren't the Ducks. Tampa doesn't have the depth, so Q is starting to weave the talented players in with the lesser lines, and TB can't keep up. That's what happened in the second half of the 3rd period on Wednesday.

My prediction - Hawks in 6. Tampa gets the next game at home, and one in Chicago, but then the Hawks shut the door.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Really had a chance to win game 2, but didn't.

Oh well. Still stole home ice by taking game one.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
UOK
Site Admin

I'm done with Sharp.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:I'm done with Sharp.
Wasn't able to watch. Sounds like his penalties killed them.
UOK
Site Admin

They were both kinda fluky penalties, but that son of a bitch hasn't scored since the Wild series and is a total waste of fucking time on this roster these days. I know Kane had 0 SOGs and Toews had 1, but Sharp does fuckall. He earns his contracts based on his one hot streak of the season which always comes during a string of 7 or 8 games before he returns to being jack shit.

That second penalty IMMEDIATELY after leaving the box was the coffin nail, but the rest of the supposed scoring leaders on this team continue not to do a damn thing early in series.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

very strange game

I'm not as gloomy as some are about it ... I saw some flashes of what got them to this point ... Tampa just took advantage when they had the chance ... but wtf is going on with their goalie situation?

still confident of 'Hawks in 6 or 7
George Carlin
IE
Hall of Famer

Sharpie took credit for the loss. I'm not giving up on any of them.

They all looked in a funk Saturday. Will be good for them to be home tonight.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

This game tonight is pure excitement.
UOK
Site Admin

Really don't know what that game was supposed to be about, but the eye test says exhaustion is setting in and the poor depth is finally rearing its ugly head at the worst time. Great 4th line, but honestly at this point you gotta move Shaw up with Toews and Saad. Kane's either re-injured himself or isn't seeing the ice well and Hossa's not finishing the great plays he seems to start. Crawford's letting in softies that utterly negate the highlight reel saves, and even the mighty Duncan Keith isn't leaving a dent.

Tonight was a totally winnable game against a blatantly injured goalie, but the Blackhawks are fading away. The next game is the series, and I wonder if the guys in that locker room even believe they're capable of it at this point.

It took all my restraint not to go full irrational hate-driven meatball in this post. Had to settle for about 40% effort, which is about on par with the Blackhawks performance tonight.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I think you have to give credit to TB. They are taking the Hawks out of their game. Their full ice pressure is something the Hawks have not seen in the playoffs, at least not as effective as TB is doing it. Hawks can't skate easily up the ice and get set up. I am seeing TB as the better team to this point.

Hossa played his ass off but the shots just are not going in for him. Crawford letting that rocket in, hurt big time.

I think I under estimated the Bolts. Their D is vastly under rated. I see TB as the 2010 Hawks
Bears_40
Player of the Month

Sharps lack of hustle let them score the winner. That was his guy and he needs to take his head out of his ass and play hockey. Keith looks tired and Kane, The Captain, and the rest look slow. Crow let in another softie which killed them. After they took the lead.

I stand alone.