Blackhawks vs. Bolts: 2015 Stanley Cup Final

6x Stanley Cup Champions

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

that Tampa tying goal like 10 seconds after the Blackhawks went up 2-1 sucked very much ... then everyone simply started slowing down the rest of the game

very disappointing to see them take a dump on their own ice
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Maybe I am the only one, and have very little hockey knowledge.

The Hawks won the first and third periods. Hockey is half skill half luck. The luck just did not swing their way. They pressured Bishop. Injury and all he did well. The attack seemed more in their end. I thought the Hawks played a better game but got hamstring by bullshit
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Luck, game of inches, skill, it is hockey. If Hossa's shot goes in could have been a different game. TB making plays when needed. Hawks stars being shut down by TB. I am impressed with TB's D and their constant pressure. Had not seen them play until Ranger series. I give them credit.
UOK
Site Admin

Hockey is quite frankly the worst sport in that skill only goes so far. Individual stars abound but luck is the primary factor, which is absolutely infuriating.

The Blackhawks played a winning game on Monday and lost. They played a losing game last Wednesday and won. Winning and losing periods doesn't mean shit, because all that matters is peppering the shit out of the net and praying to god that the puck's physics favor you on a given night.

Obviously depth and freshness are playing a huge factor, and it looks like Versteeg will get his chance tonight to get Bickell the fuck out of the lineup, but otherwise Q is stubbornly staying with his lines.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I think this series and the Duck series have been primary examples of getting people in front of the net bring positive results. For the life of me I don't know why the Hawks are not in front of the net more, boggles my effin mind!! Bishop needs to have to look thru traffic, they need to make him move. They are doing a good job of getting physical with him even though penalties have been called. I hated his effin soccer act, playing dead on the ice after Saad bumped into his head. Interesting stat, he has drawn more penalties than any other goalie in the league.
UOK
Site Admin

Timmonen playing tonight. Ugh. Can't be worse than Cumiskey though I guess.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Otis is it because they don't have that big body guy to put there? They did it with a few years ago with Byflugin.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not sure m. you would think Bickell would be the obvious choice for that but if anyone goes there it seems like it is Shaw. Hell, he one of the smallest guys on the team but he does it well.

Not only do guys in front of the distract the goalie but they are also there for the rebounds. To me it seems like the Hawks avoid the net at times. Hell, maybe it is just me, but it seems like it is effective for the Hawks opposing teams.

Byfuglien was a beast when here.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Thought the Hawks played well after the first. They seemed to control the ice in the second and third minus the last 3 min.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

The defensive stand in the final three minutes was a showing this team needed to have.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Missed some of the second and all but last 30 seconds of the 3rd (friggin Direct TV). Watched replay this a.m. Even though they only gave up 1 goal, the D still seems a step slow. TB had more shots in the last 2 min than the did the first 18. Crow stood tall, good for him.

I think most are surprised it has been such a defensive series. Lot of "experts" were expecting 4-3, 5-3 games. They have been action packed. Gotta get this one in TB to take control.

Thought Versteeg played well and kimmo didn't hurt the hawks. Saad is playing himself into a pretty good payday for the future.
UOK
Site Admin

It was another frustrating slog through the first two periods where a lot of people were questioning the Blackhawks desire (made for an uncomfortable postgame interview or two). The team was not cohesive at all, and the turnovers were rampant. Wasn't until about 5 or 6 minutes into the 3rd where they got clicking and it was like holy crap, there's the actual Blackhawks. They probably should've played better in the final minutes but thankfully luck and Crawford locked it up.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

like you UOK, I cannot understand the bad passing decisions and dangerous turnovers ... some of those "oh what the hell" passes across the middle almost looked to be centering passes to Lightning players ... that has to stop

it is apparent Tampa Bay is much quicker than Chicago ... perhaps a change in strategy and attack may be able to eliminate the advantage, or at least lessen it

this series looks like there may be a changing of the guard on the horizon ... I think the Blackhawks will find a way to prevail, but also think regardless of this turns out, the Lightning are the team of the future
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

TB's quickness is evident, like I said previously, they remind me of 2010 Hawks.

The salary cap will effect the Hawks the next few years. I don't think the Hawks will go away, but don't see them as the top dog in the West for a little while. TB will be the Chicago of the east until the cap affects them. I believe Stamkos is coming up for a new contract. Hedman (sp) and Stralman are two top quality D men. Fun team to watch when not playing the Hawks.

If the Hawks can take game 5, I believe the series will be done in game 6.

I liked when the Hawks got overly aggressive with the forecheck in period 3. Gave TB some of their own medicine.
UOK
Site Admin

Boris13c wrote:like you UOK, I cannot understand the bad passing decisions and dangerous turnovers ... some of those "oh what the hell" passes across the middle almost looked to be centering passes to Lightning players ... that has to stop

it is apparent Tampa Bay is much quicker than Chicago ... perhaps a change in strategy and attack may be able to eliminate the advantage, or at least lessen it

this series looks like there may be a changing of the guard on the horizon ... I think the Blackhawks will find a way to prevail, but also think regardless of this turns out, the Lightning are the team of the future
I think Q is going to leave the lineup entirely alone going forward. Timonen played pretty damn decent last night, even with the bullcrap penalty called on him, and if he alone can provide a boost of energy on defense, it would go very far. The lines in the 3rd period finally came together and they were basically the same from earlier in the season oddly enough.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Even though Hossa is not putting up points, the guy is playing his ass off. It would be nice if some of his shots found the net but he is working hard. He is setting an example.
Stay_Cool
MVP

I notice a lot of bolts fan are hoping the hawks are getting tired... sounds like how the ducks felt about hits =p

The hawks have been historically good in the closing out of series. I read a stat... they are 9-0 in series that are tied 2-2, and in those individual games they are 18-1 (damn ducks last series)
Don't tell me the sky's the limit... There's footprints on the moon!!!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The extra day off is gonna help some. The Ducks wanted to believe the punishment they were dishing out was gonna wear the Hawks down. An ex-player on the NHL Network said the Ducks missed as many hits as they made and the misses were taking a toll on their bodies.

TB has the speed the Ducks didn't have. This has been a helluva series, will hate to see it end really. I love playoff hockey about as much as any sporting event there is.
UOK
Site Admin

The Hawks always play their worst game when they try to match hits. I know Q loves that shit and obviously it gets people excited but when the Hawks get outhit they win more often than not because it means they likely had more SOGs and better puck possession.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Even though Hossa is not putting up points, the guy is playing his ass off. It would be nice if some of his shots found the net but he is working hard. He is setting an example.

add Duncan Keith as well ... he regularly manages to deflect what could have been open shots by the Lightning due to errant errant Blackhawks passes ... I think I counted 5 in Game 4 ... those were 5 close range efforts that never made it to Crawford thanks to him

I am not disappointed with the effort of anyone on the team ... my only complaint is with their seemingly lack of focus in their passing game, which is maddening at times as it looks as if they are actually passing to Tampa Bay players ... maybe they simply aren't convinced of their speed? so they toss what they think is a safe pass that turns into an "oh shit"?

if they clean that up their overall game will be much better
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Winner of game 5 in a 2-2 series has gone on to win...not that many championships.

"Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus 5h5 hours ago
The Game 5 winner in a 2-2 series has won the Stanley Cup only 16 of 23 times. You'd think it'd be more than that. #Blackhawks"
UOK
Site Admin

Also Timonen will retire after this cup final, one way or the other. Said to the media there's "only 5 days left in my career." If he plays tonight like he did on Wednesday, and factors heavily into winning this thing, what a finish.
docc
Head Coach

Need THIS game...

Here we go..
UOK
Site Admin

OK it was a win but I will not rest until it's over. We all saw how the Anaheim series went after a game 5 loss.

FINISH THIS. IN RED.
docc
Head Coach

Need ONE MORE..

TAMPA IS TOO GOOD TO COUNT OUT OF ANYTHING...
Road
Pro Bowler

Monday night is going to be electric!
C'mon Blackhawks!
Bring the Stanley Cup home to Chicago!
Bears_40
Player of the Month

Hoping for a close out at home. The city will lose their minds! Going to be a fun game to watch and the Madhouse will be cranked up. Let's Go Hawks!

I stand alone.