Patrick Kane subject of police investigation in Hamburg, N.Y

6x Stanley Cup Champions

Moderator: wab

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: So, anytime someone cries "rape" after a night with a famous person, and then settlement talks immediately happen...I'm always skeptical.
I agree to an extent. But like the Winston girl. Your name is going to be fucking drug through the mud and you will probably lose. A "real victim" gets revictimised by the process a shit ton. Your going to lose your dignity, and have nothing to show for it.

That's a lot for a normal person to go through. Then add that your a woman. Males and females are different. Things in my life I can handle would crush my wife. It's not a bad thing that generally men and women differ it's a natural selection thing. In a case like this my wife would probably fold to settlement because of the emotional tole this would take.
UOK
Site Admin

The accuser is going to hold a press conference at 1pm. No idea what that's about. Kane and his attorney have said they want the case to go to trial so that Kane can profess his innocence and show evidence before a courtroom.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Not extremely to link a story from my phone, but the press conference was basically the accuser's attorney claiming the rape kit was tampered with and delivered to the doorstep of the accuser's mother.

Ugly situation just got uglier.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
UOK
Site Admin

RING4CHI wrote:Not extremely to link a story from my phone, but the press conference was basically the accuser's attorney claiming the rape kit was tampered with and delivered to the doorstep of the accuser's mother.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 24144.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a mess.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
RING4CHI wrote:Not extremely to link a story from my phone, but the press conference was basically the accuser's attorney claiming the rape kit was tampered with and delivered to the doorstep of the accuser's mother.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 24144.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a mess.

I thought shit like this only happened in movies ... how in the hell could this happen for real?

paying someone to destroy evidence - happens more than you might think and there are plenty of examples, most in mob related cases

but what is the point of destroying the evidence then delivering the empty evidence bag? if your intent was to destroy the evidence, I would think the bag the evidence was in would be part of that destruction process

this is just weird
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bears_40
Player of the Month

Wouldn't the evidence bag need to be torn open to look at evidence? This whole thing stinks. Kane is getting slaughtered, and if he did it fine, but if not I hope he goes after them in a big way.

I stand alone.

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Bears_40 and 0 guests
wab
Mod

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I had to laugh at this shit, OMG. WTF!! There should be, I would think, video surveillance at the police dept of anyone going into and out of the evidence room. There has to be some proof who would do this idiotic thing.

Kaner a home town boy for sure!!
UOK
Site Admin

The Buffalo cops are saying they have had the original rapekit since it was administered, still sealed and in their care. This is a TOTAL clusterfuck. Somebody is blatantly lying.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/09/23/ ... ered-with/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:The Buffalo cops are saying they have had the original rapekit since it was administered, still sealed and in their care. This is a TOTAL clusterfuck. Somebody is blatantly lying.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/09/23/ ... ered-with/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There's so much going on in this situation, one day I'll think Kane fucked himself and needs to be taught a lesson, the next day I'll think this is a woman and lawyer looking to drag Kane's name through the mud to cash in and get their 15 minutes.

I really don't know who to believe in all of this.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

agreed ... a lot of stuff going on ... none of it particularly good

Kane's lawyer says there was no Kane DNA on the victim ... so it appears if Kaner did have sex with her (consensual or otherwise), he was smart enough to suit up

this alleged evidence bag at the victim's mother's house is a puzzler, especially since the Buffalo police have called bullshit and say they have the evidence bag, and the evidence

could it be party girl thought she had an easy mark and some easy cash? then got pissed when she found out Kane did not dispense the cash paying load she was expecting? and she setup the phony evidence bag?

or was Kane truly a guilty party, but has the Buffalo police on his side and they have his back?

you could make a movie of this right now, and film it like the movie Clue with several potential alternate endings
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

So the details are all getting mixed around. Here's the story:

The evidence bag which held the findings of the rape kit (administered at the Erie County Medical Center in early August) was allegedly found in between the front door and storm door of the victim's mother's house, who discovered it when coming home from lunch on Tuesday afternoon.

The bag was folded up several times, had the victim's name, birthday, the facility name, & the initials of the nurse who administered the rape kit. The evidence bag, allegedly authenticated by the ECMC, had been torn open and was empty.

The alleged victim's lawyer wants to have an independent law enforcement agency investigate this, because if this is indeed true, it's a really disgusting blow to the Buffalo-area justice system, and throws a wrench into the whole trial. The findings of the rape kit, if proven beyond a reasonable doubt to be mistreated, tampered with, etc., would be immediately inadmissible as evidence.

Patrick Kane's lawyer, who is admittedly slimy, seems to think that this is a ploy by the prosecution to dismiss rape kit findings which would prove Kane's innocence. This would work if you believe the leaked rumors of evidence, which the victim's attorney touches on here:
“If you’re looking for a sure-fire way to scuttle a prosecution, you tamper with evidence,” (victim's lawyer Thomas Eoannou) said. “This is a significant development in this case and we need to bring in the FBI, (New York) State Troopers, or some other law enforcement agency to find out who had that bag, who put it in my client’s mother’s doorstep and why. We’re hoping to get to the bottom of it, who had the incentive to modify and tamper with the evidence.”

Eoannou denied all media reports about the result of evidence tests from the rape kit, saying they were “absolutely not true.”

“We don’t know what was found where,” Eoannou said. “During the course of this investigation, multiple leaks to the media have occurred. (Tuesday) was the most disturbing report of allegedly confidential information. It was reported yesterday ‘DNA tests found DNA evidence of at least one person, and possibly one or two more, in her genital area but found no traces of any DNA from Kane.’ It was also reported that ‘two unknown semen samples in Kane’s victim’s rape kit.’ The consequence in all of this has been to discredit my client in public. We’re hoping to get to the bottom of who had the incentive to modify and tamper with the evidence, rather than have misinformation about semen in one’s undergarments.”
Eoannou wants the person who placed the evidence bag at the mother's house to come forward as it may prove to be a key finding in the corruption of the police department's handling of this case. Which they've earned.

SI discussed this with their legal guy Michael McCann, who said this changes things on 4 levels:
1. Assuming the [packaging] sent to the mom of the accuser is in fact genuine, it [suggests] tainted evidence. Should the case go to trial, the rape kit can still be deemed admissible but the judge would warn jurors that it may have been contaminated by tampering. Jurors would then be instructed that they can consider possible tampering in how much weight they assign to this evidence. Published reports indicate the kit does not establish that Kane committed rape. If true, it could serve as evidence that helps to exonerate him. This development, however, means jurors may assign less weight to the kit and that would work against Kane.

2. Kane’s attorney, Paul Cambria, will likely now demand that the investigation into his client be dropped. For starters, he has already told media that a tampered kit would prevent him and his expert witnesses from independently testing it. This raises a procedural question of fairness and could convince prosecutors to drop the case. If Kane is later convicted of a crime, Cambria would also have a stronger argument for an appeal because he would claim that jurors were misled by faulty evidence.

More generally, Cambria can now argue that the investigation has been compromised by unlawful and unethical conduct by those who are entrusted with crucial pieces of evidence and thus any evidence can be doubted. If prosecutors ultimately charge Kane with a crime, Cambria would consistently remind jurors that evidence, while under the watch of Hamburg (NY) Police Chief Gregory G. Wickett and Erie County District Attorney Frank A. Sedita III, fell into the hands of the accuser’s mother. Cambria would thus try to discredit the entire case.

3. Local and county officials may not be capable of conducting a sufficiently impartial investigation of how the [packaging] was sent. As a result, it would now be appropriate for New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman to launch an investigation into how the [packaging] could have been sent to the accuser’s mother.

Every person who had custody of the kit would likely be interviewed in an investigation. All records, including e-mails and texts, related to the whereabouts of the kit at all times would also be considered. Criminal charges for obstruction of justice, tampering and conspiracy could be brought against those who were involved in the unlawful release of the [material] and its transportation to the home of the accuser’s mother. It is thus possible that Kane avoids any criminal charges while those involved in the investigation of him could themselves be charged.

4. The accuser’s mother could civilly sue persons who are found to have been involved with the plot to send the [packaging] to her. The most likely claim would be intentional infliction of emotional distress, which concerns conduct that is extreme and outrageous and causes severe psychological suffering. A general negligence claim concerning the duties of those persons could also be raised.
Not long after this all came out, the police responded with this:
“All evidence related to this case that was given to Erie County Central Police Services by the Town of Hamburg Police Department is accounted for and remains in its original packaging in the possession of Erie County Central Police Services,” John A. Glascott said in a statement. “This includes the evidence in the rape kit and the packaging itself. This evidence has been analyzed and reports of that analysis sent to the appropriate agencies.”

Here's what SI's McCann offered on that subject:
"I think this makes it even more likely New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman steps in to investigate. Someone is lying. This confusion also taints the case and makes it less likely that Kane will ever be charged. I would also find it surprising if the accuser's attorney, Thomas Eoannou, did not first check with the authorities about this alleged evidence before going to the media, since he would damage his client's case and risk sanction by the state bar if the materials received by the accuser's mother turn out to be fabricated evidence."

http://www.tsn.ca/attorney-evidence-bag ... -what-next" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/09/23/patric ... -what-next" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Here's what SI's McCann offered on that subject:

"I think this makes it even more likely New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman steps in to investigate. Someone is lying. This confusion also taints the case and makes it less likely that Kane will ever be charged. I would also find it surprising if the accuser's attorney, Thomas Eoannou, did not first check with the authorities about this alleged evidence before going to the media, since he would damage his client's case and risk sanction by the state bar if the materials received by the accuser's mother turn out to be fabricated evidence."

this part makes this a complete cluster IMO

so either the police are lying or the victim's attorney/team are lying because they can't both be correct
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Here's the bag, also:

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

that could have been the bag her clothes were in during the exam but then her clothes were not held as evidence (just her undies) ... so she could have had that bag after she got dressed

I'm just finding it hard to believe the actual evidence bag, and evidence, is not still in police custody as the police say ... this is a high profile case so one would think a little extra care would be taken if only to cover their own asses
George Carlin
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

The evidence bash on the mothers stoop sounds like BS. I find it very hard to believe for a number of reasons.
UOK
Site Admin

The discovery of the alleged evidence bag is now in question. The attorney representing the victim is stepping down.

Somebody lied to Thomas Eoannou's people. The victim looks terrible now.

edit: Holy fuck. This is incredible.

I've never seen anything like this. Ever.

Julie DiCaro @JulieDiCaro
Eonannou said the evidence bag is authentic, but he's "not comfortable" with the version of events told to him by accuser's mother.

Eoannou was very clear this was not about the accuser, this was about version of events her mother told him.

David Haugh @DavidHaugh
Asked fair question why anyone should believe accuser if lies surrounded bag: "One has something to do with someone other than my client.''

Long story short, it sounds like the accuser's mother pissed off her attorney and now he's withdrawing.

Eoannou says accuser's account of events surrounding alleged rape should NOT be called into question.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Can't even make shit this weird up.

Just looking at the "bag" and it looks fake. It has no evidence tape, no initials or date on the seem, no initials from paper over the bar code. That was his last hurrah.
wab
Mod

I see a Law and Order episode in the future. "Ripped from the headlines" and shit.
UOK
Site Admin

Julie DiCaro is staying home from WSCR today because of death threats against her from Blackhawks fans. Way to go.

And here's some updates from her on this and it kind of paints Kane in a slimy way.

"Friend" reluctant to testify in Kane investigation has always been reluctant to testify. She's 19 & wasn't supposed to be in bar - Source

Source says rape kit exam of Kane accuser was cut short because of problems with equipment. Could explain lack of DNA.

Source also says crime lab stated DNA in accuser's underwear "could have been 5 years old."

Semen, as a protein, attaches to fibers and is difficult to remove by washing, per source.

Source says rape kit exam of Kane accuser was cut short because of problems with equipment. Could explain lack of DNA.

Source also says Kane approached accuser at bar (she didn't know who he was) and told her party was at his house. No party when she arrived.

Accuser's texts show she repeatedly wanted to leave Kane's residence even before alleged rape. Friend didn't want to leave -- source
UOK
Site Admin

OK so that press conference by the Buffalo AD just destroyed the known "facts" of this case.

- The accuser's mother was either part of an elaborate hoax or was the architect of it all
- The evidence bag found on Saturday was given to the accuser's mother by the nurses who administered the rape kit for the intention of putting the accuser's shirt into and would later be collected by police (she changed shirts before going to the medical center).
- The mother lied about the bag's discovery and allegedly refused a request by the daughter's former lawyer to take a polygraph.
- The daughter/victim may or may not be involved. Nobody knows. Either way, the mother's actions have effectively destroyed the integrity of the case.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Lawyer for Patrick Kane’s Accuser Abruptly Drops Case
The case involving the Chicago Blackhawks star Patrick Kane and the woman who has accused him of rape took another hairpin turn on Thursday evening when the woman’s lawyer abruptly stepped down.

One day earlier, the lawyer, Thomas Eoannou, said that a piece of evidence in the case, a paper evidence bag that he said arrived on the doorstep of the victim’s mother, had been tampered with. But in a news conference on Thursday, he said that the facts surrounding the evidence bag had been misrepresented.

“In keeping with my ethical obligations as an officer of the court,” Mr. Eoannou said, “I can no longer represent my client effectively and am withdrawing effective immediately.”

Mr. Eoannou added that his office had met with former prosecutors and former investigators of sex crimes before going public with news about the bag, and that the district attorney’s office in Buffalo had not raised questions about the authenticity of the bag. The bag, which did not contain the rape kit used on the victim, had other personal information about her, including her name, birth date and the hospital where she was examined, Erie County Medical Center, Mr. Eoannou said.

Mr. Eoannou did not go into further detail about what led him to conclude that the bag was not authentic, but said that the development “does not in any way reflect upon what occurred on the night in question.”

I still say there is a logical reason for that hospital bag with her name and other info on it to exist

whenever one goes to an emergency room and a full examination is required, the clothes come off and a hospital gown goes on ... those clothes are put in a hospital bag with the patient's name and other info ... then when you are released, you get the bag with your clothes ... most would simply get dressed and leave the bag at the hospital trash bin

in this case, some of her clothing would be part of the rape kit, but not necessarily all of it ... so this was simply her clothes bag, which is why it doesn't have all the markings an evidence bag would

now why this bag was then mis-represented as the rape kit evidence bag is another story and the one that is leading to the issues ... someone is intentionally lying
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Prosecutor in Patrick Kane case: There was no evidence tampering
Erie County district attorney Frank Sedita said at a press conference on Friday that there was no evidence tampering in the sexual assault case against Chicago Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane.

Kane was accused of raping a woman at his home on Aug. 2, but he has not been charged with a crime. Sedita addressed the statement made Wednesday by the accuser’s attorney, Thomas Eoannou, who alleged that an evidence bag containing the accuser’s rape kit had been anonymously delivered to her mother’s home and was ripped open. On Friday, Sedita said that the bag that was found at the accuser’s mother’s home was not the authentic rape kit.

Sedita said rape kits collected in Erie County are stored in boxes, not bags. He showed video evidence at the press conference that showed the rape kit was placed in a box, not a bag, and was placed in an evidence locker.

Sedita alleged that the bag that arrived at the mother’s house came from Eoannou’s office and said the authentic rape kit never left the custody of the crime lab.

He said it was unlikely that charges would be brought against the mother of the accuser for fabricating evidence because she never lied under oath or while talking to a law-enforcement officer.

Sedita did not comment on the investigation itself because it is ongoing but said wanted to address the integrity of the investigation.
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I am wondering how the leaks are coming out with regard to some of this DNA shit. In IL it can take months for this stuff to be solved.

With regard to our local PD, when they take DNA it then goes into their evidence room. One Monday a month, DNA type evidence is then transported to the Illinois State Police Crime Lab in Springfield, IL. How quickly they get the DNA entered into their database is anyone's guess. Once DNA is input into the database it starts the process of attempting to match up with DNA that is already in the database. According to a local detective I deal with, the database recycles every Monday in attempts to match up with DNA that was input during the week prior.

Did I miss where Kane voluntary let the Hamburg PD take a DNA sample from him? If he has no DNA in the database there would be no match.

The DNA sampling does not occur at local PDs (at least not in IL).
Stay_Cool
MVP

Basically Kane is safe and this is looking more and more like a cash grab.
Don't tell me the sky's the limit... There's footprints on the moon!!!
UOK
Site Admin

The local woman who accused National Hockey League star Patrick Kane of rape three months ago has notified the Erie County District Attorney’s Office that she no longer wants to cooperate in the investigation, five sources with knowledge of the case told The Buffalo News on Monday.

The woman has told authorities that the high-profile investigation has caused tremendous stress for her and her family, and that she no longer wishes to participate.

The alleged victim spoke to investigators at the District Attorney’s Office at length last week, and after that, signed a document called an “affidavit declining prosecution,” which is now under consideration by District Attorney Frank A. Sedita III, one of the sources said.

“She was no longer interested in going forward,” another source told The News.

The woman first asked the DA’s staff about the status of the investigation before stating that she no longer wants to cooperate, this source said.

Sedita, who ultimately will decide whether the case goes forward or not, declined to confirm or deny the information obtained by The News. He said he will not announce his next moves in the case until he speaks with the prosecutor who is directly handling the case.

That prosecutor is currently on vacation, said Sedita, who will be elected Tuesday as a State Supreme Court judge. He faces no opposition.

In a story published Sunday, The News quoted three sources with knowledge of the Kane case as saying it now appears highly unlikely that any criminal charges will be filed against Kane in connection with the woman’s allegations. The sources also indicated that Sedita has decided not to present evidence about the allegations to a grand jury for possible indictment.

Authorities have decided there are too many questions about the woman’s rape allegations for them to proceed with rape charges, which could put the 26-year-old Chicago Blackhawks star – a South Buffalo native who now lives in Hamburg – in jail.

Read more:

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/ ... n-20151103" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Mind at ease, Kaner had a helluva game last night. He is currently riding 7 game scoring streak and is in top for scoring in NHL.

This result was no surprise especially after warped mother pulled the shit she did.
UOK
Site Admin

Indeed. I'm waiting to see what the whole story is with her family. It feels like she may have been pressured into doing this.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Mind at ease, Kaner had a helluva game last night. He is currently riding 7 game scoring streak and is in top for scoring in NHL.

This result was no surprise especially after warped mother pulled the shit she did.
UOK wrote:Indeed. I'm waiting to see what the whole story is with her family. It feels like she may have been pressured into doing this.

this whole thing is all sorts of levels of fucked up ... sounds like the alleged victim's mother is a Norman Bates quality psycho

wouldn't surprise me at all if the mom forced this whole case ... daughter comes home and dreamily tells of a wonderful night with a hockey hero ... mom steps up with $$$ in her eyes and tells daughter how it wasn't a wonderful night, but a crime ... then shit twists and turns before being flushed
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

The DA came out and made it official today: No charges to Kane. Damage done, however.

http://www2.erie.gov/da/index.php?q=dis ... estigation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11/5/2015

Erie County District Attorney Frank A. Sedita, III announces the following.

The Town of Hamburg Police Department and the Office of the Erie County District Attorney have conducted an exhaustive investigation over the course of the past three months regarding allegations made by a 21 year-old woman that 26 year-old Patrick Kane raped her on his bed. The investigative findings include the following:
There are significant material inconsistencies between the complainant’s accounts and those of other witnesses.

The DNA results lend no corroboration whatsoever to the complainant’s claim of penetration, a required element of proof for a rape charge.

The physical evidence and the forensic evidence, when viewed in tandem, tend to contradict the complainant’s claim that she was raped on Kane’s bed.

Although Kane has exercised his constitutional right to remain silent (which prohibits questioning by law enforcement), he has made no known incriminating statements to any civilian, nor has he engaged in any conduct consistent with a consciousness of guilt.
Additionally, the complainant, after consultation with her attorney, has decided that she does not wish to go forward with a criminal prosecution. She has recently signed what is commonly referred to as a “Non-Prosecution Affidavit” that states, in relevant part: “That after fully discussing all the circumstances with my attorney, I have decided I do not wish to criminally prosecute the charges which stem out of this investigation. I do so of my own free will and without any promises or compensation.”

A complainant’s willingness or reluctance to go forward is an important factor in determining whether a criminal prosecution, brought by this office on behalf of the People of the State of New York, will go forward. It is not, however, decisive. In other words, a complainant’s allegations, standing alone, do not trigger a criminal prosecution; nor does a complainant’s wish to withdraw charges, standing alone, determine whether a criminal case will be terminated.

Our prosecution standard is proof-based and has been stated on many occasions: consistent with the discretion afforded to the District Attorney under the law, we prosecute when the credible evidence, likely admissible in court, proves a crime was committed and proves the accused committed it.

The totality of the credible evidence -- the proof -- does not sufficiently substantiate the complainant’s allegation that she was raped by Patrick Kane and this so-called “case” is rife with reasonable doubt. Accordingly, the Office of the Erie County District Attorney will not present this matter to an Erie County Grand Jury.

A confidential correspondence has been sent to the Town Hamburg Police Chief (with copies forwarded to legal counsel for the complainant and Mr. Kane), setting forth in greater detail the investigative findings and the reasons for the decision not to criminally prosecute this matter.

The District Attorney will not be holding a press conference.
Update: Kane's lawyer anticipates civil suit coming up and the payoff will be done rather formally:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-p ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's unclear whether the woman will file a lawsuit against Kane, though Cambria has predicted she will do so. She has hired an attorney who specializes in personal injury cases.

The Tribune has reported that Kane's attorneys at one point were working to resolve the case in a manner that benefited all involved parties, including his accuser. Sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, had described a delicate negotiation in which both Kane and his accuser refused at times to acquiesce because both viewed themselves as the wronged party.