Chicago Blackhawks // 2015-16 reg. season general discussion

6x Stanley Cup Champions

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Here's a generic-purpose thread for day-to-day crap. I've previously spoken out against these threads, but I want to see if this one will function without otherwise killing the rest of the Blackhawks forum.
-----

Rumor is that Carolina is in talks w/ the Blackhawks for Kris Versteeg. This would probably open up enough cap space for Kruger to sign.

edit: Trade done.

David Haugh @DavidHaugh
Salary-cap move made: #Blackhawks acquire D-man Dennis Robertson, Jake Massie, 2017 pick from 'Canes for Kris Versteeg and Joakim Nordstrom.

Dennis Robertson - 24 yo defenseman, 6'1" 215 lbs
Jake Massie - 18 yo defenseman, 6'2" 180 lbs
UOK
Site Admin

Kruger signs a 1-year deal. I'm personally very OK with keeping Kruger and losing Nordstrom/Versteeg. Never was a fan of either player.
UOK
Site Admin

Michal Rozsival re-ups for a $600k deal. Gross.
UOK
Site Admin

Hawks win preseason opener. Darling looked great. Dano was slightly injured but he'll be fine. Teuvo will be a star this season.
UOK
Site Admin

Tropp & Morin waived.
UOK
Site Admin

Chicago has reassigned forwards Marko Dano, Ryan Hartman, Vincent Hinostroza, Brandon Mashinter, Dennis Rasmussen and Garret Ross and defensemen Erik Gustafsson and Ville Pokka to AHL Rockford.

They waived fucking Dano! He was doing great! Fucking Quenneville.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Can't believe the season is starting already!! Will miss the raising of the banner but will dvr it.

Went to the Hawk store on Michigan Ave on MOnday. Talk about price gouging, holy shit!!! Pretty cool, grey T-shirt with the words HANG TIME and the 6 banners underneath it was $40!!!! We moved on down the line rather quickly.

Anxious to see what this team can do. should be a pretty exciting year with some new faces.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Can't believe the season is starting already!! Will miss the raising of the banner but will dvr it.

Went to the Hawk store on Michigan Ave on MOnday. Talk about price gouging, holy shit!!! Pretty cool, grey T-shirt with the words HANG TIME and the 6 banners underneath it was $40!!!! We moved on down the line rather quickly.

Anxious to see what this team can do. should be a pretty exciting year with some new faces.
I bought this kind of as a wedding gift to myself. While it features the 2015 championship, it features the six years Chicago has won the cup at the top.

Blackhawks Stanley Cup Tervis
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Well first game L is never good, but I can say I enjoyed the game. Good to see Panarin light the lamp and Teuvo get one also. I think it would be hard to focus after all the festivities prior to the game.

I am excited for this year. Lots of unknowns about how this team will gel this year. I think they will be alright. The conference has gotten stronger though.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Hawks not gelling at all at the moment. Looks like a team with a lot of mismatched pieces at the moment. It is early, but damn, nothing looking good at the moment. Panarin shows some potential as does Tikanov. Svedburg gets first goal last night. What frustrates me is that no one likes to camp out in front of the goal when Hawks have the puck. No traffic = clean site lines for opposing goalie.

Got a kick out of Q on Wednesday night when be interviewed on bench. McQuire (I think) was asking Q about Svedburg and Q's response, "He's alright." You could tell it was a force half assed compliment too.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:What frustrates me is that no one likes to camp out in front of the goal when Hawks have the puck. No traffic = clean site lines for opposing goalie.
Capitals were just the opposite ... perfect screens on 2 of their goals ... I know Darling never saw Carlson's shot
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Blackhawks' Duncan Keith out 4-6 weeks after knee surgery
Defenseman Duncan Keith, the reigning Conn Smythe Trophy winner, will miss four to six weeks after having surgery to repair a meniscal tear in his right knee, according to a statement from Hawks team physician Dr. Michael Terry, who performed the surgery.

Keith's injury is a major blow to the Hawks, whose key defensemen have been as consistent — and healthy — as possible the last few seasons.

"Maybe that's something people don't talk about enough — our defensive core enables everyone else to play their game," captain Jonathan Toews said. "Every team in the league has skilled forwards who can put points on the board, but our (defensemen) kind of make everything work in the back end and in the offensive zone as well.

"There's no doubt you maybe take for granted, especially during the regular season, what a guy like Duncs does, even on nights when he's not creating offense."

Of all the Hawks, Keith routinely puts the most wear on his body and is among the NHL minutes leaders every season. Even as recently as Saturday, Keith played 25 minutes, 34 seconds against the Blue Jackets in a 4-1 Hawks victory.

this sucks muchly
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Went to the game tonight :frustrated: How in the hell do you choke away a 5-2 lead?????? Pissed me off. Worse than getting your ass shutout IMO. I knew at the end of 1 with a 5-2 lead it wasn't over. Texted someone during game, 3 goal lead is not enough. Crawford looked shaky. Had good seats and had some Lou Malnatis prior to game and was hanging with my sons so it was good . Except for the L!!!!!
UOK
Site Admin

Crawford looked abysmal tonight. One of those games he should forget immediately. He let in a lot of bad goals on half-hearted shots.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Crawford looked abysmal tonight. One of those games he should forget immediately. He let in a lot of bad goals on half-hearted shots.

it looked almost as if he just loses focus when he has a big lead ... 3 of the dribbled goals he let in should have NEVER gotten past him
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

That game was perfect example why I have been down on Crow. The dude has won 2 Stanleys and kicked ass against TB last year BUT, I have no confidence in him. Goals 4-6, he just looked lazy. The D plays a part, but he should have had those shots. It was like we were waiting for him to falter because the 1st period was just pretty easy for the Hawks.

The National Anthem is something everyone needs to experience (except for those that think it is unpatriotic due to the cheering). That was worth price of admission.

Going to Hawks game at UC - check (another item off bucket list)
UOK
Site Admin

Crawford is a regular season nutcase. He's a warrior in the playoffs, though. In big games there's nobody else I'd want in net.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Crawford is a regular season nutcase. He's a warrior in the playoffs, though. In big games there's nobody else I'd want in net.

that pretty much sums him up I'd say
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:The National Anthem is something everyone needs to experience (except for those that think it is unpatriotic due to the cheering). That was worth price of admission.
I still think it is odd to play the National Anthem before games, but have no real problem with it and happily sing along when I am at games

it is the God Bless America faux patriotism bullshit they force on fans that they need to get rid of though ... last baseball game I was at they wouldn't let me go back to my seat from a bathroom break until God Bless America was finished, and the asshole guard actually had the nerve to look at me and tell me to take off my hat ... I just walked away and found a beer vendor who was more into capitalism than pretend patriotism
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I agree on the National Anthem. Especially in hockey where there are so many players from other countries.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Well Hawks continue to hold serve at home but can't do shit on the road. I am hoping this team can start to gel soon or it will be over early. This division has to be the toughest in the league. They could go the way of the Kings and not make playoffs this year if they can't get something going on the road. It is early, but other teams playing well. Hawks inconsistent as hell.

Good to see Panarin getting it going last night. Kid has skills.
UOK
Site Admin

This Panarin/Anisimov/Kane line is murder.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Hawks had a helluva comeback last night against the Ducks. 2 goals in 1:40 to take to OT. Team starting to hit a stride.
UOK
Site Admin

That finish was amazing. Kane got the 19 game point streak record tonight too, so here's hoping for another W.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Kane keeps point streak going. His assist to Anisimov was just ridiculous. dude is on it. If he stays healthy, no reason he isn't the scoring leader at the end of the year.

As for the 3 on 3, I have seen it benefit and harm the Hawks and I can say at this point I am not a fan. It can produce some fun up and down and high speed hockey, BUT, like a shootout it seems to put the onus on the goalies. Make one mistake and it is over, as Hawks found out last night. 4 on 4 was good enough for me.
UOK
Site Admin

That pass was incredible, but overall the team looked kinda flat. No matter how crappy they look, however, they always end up finding a way to stick in games. They stole a point last night against the Sens for sure.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

They have gotten into a bad habit of letting in early goals and getting behind early. Frustrates the hell out of me. Their D has been lacking IMO. Seems like they lose sight of some guys in front of the net.

They need to start getting scoring for others than Kane's line though

I am liking some of the young guys that are playing - Dano, Anisimov, Panarin, newibes in Garbutt as well.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

KANER!!!! Breaks Hull's record for consecutive games with a point. Dude is just red hot and keeps his line scoring. They need to get some points elsewhere on a consistent basis. Bickell back up and he obliterated Buff yesterday. Nice to see the Hawks with some physicality.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:KANER!!!! Breaks Hull's record for consecutive games with a point. Dude is just red hot and keeps his line scoring. They need to get some points elsewhere on a consistent basis. Bickell back up and he obliterated Buff yesterday. Nice to see the Hawks with some physicality.

I'm thinking maybe Kaner is staying sober these days after his off season of error ... and his good health and clear vision are making him almost unstoppable
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Kane's also got a tremendous line with Bread Man & Anisimov that seemed to instantly gel. He's always in a constant position to score or set up a score because those 3 guys can read each other's minds, even if they don't all speak the same language.

I think it's helped that the Blackhawks have covered this in an incredibly understated way. They really have not hyped the streak or advertised it at all. They're being very smart in making this seem like not a big deal, and I'm sure that's helping 88 not be freaked out.