Cautiously Optimistic

6x NBA Champions

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I like what the team has done this offseason. They've added good to excellent pieces with Ball, Rozan, and Caruso. Derrick Jones, who they got in the Markonnen deal, brings a lot of energy. Patrick Williams is shooting a lot more in summer league. Be still my beating heart, could they make the playoffs this year?
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

AK knows what he's doing. I really need a reason to get back into the Bulls and it's getting there.

I loved the Donovan hiring. This offseason was amazing.

I like Lonzo Ball. That's going to be a great compliment to Vuca.

But Levine isn't a good enough star to be a guy that takes you to the Conference Finals. The Bulls still need The Guy.

Porzingas can be had I think, but he's been missing games. Him and Vucevic in the same frontcourt would be insane especially combined with Ball running the offense.

They've dealt so many draft picks that it's hurting their ability to make future deals. That leaves White and Levine as the trade bait, but if Levine gets dealt you've got to get a star in return.

They are definitely a playoff team just not elite.

I guess that would be my suggestion. See what the Mavs want for Porzingas.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I am a big fan of what they've turned this team into.

I freely admit I've been a harsh critic of LaVine and have called him an empty calorie scorer more than once. Last season he found another level, and in the Olympics he actually played defense. I am of the opinion that there's another level to be had there.

I love the pick-up of Ball, and while I think they overpaid for DeRozan I like his game a lot. The key is gonna be PWill and how he develops.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:07 pm AK knows what he's doing. I really need a reason to get back into the Bulls and it's getting there.

But Levine isn't a good enough star to be a guy that takes you to the Conference Finals. The Bulls still need The Guy.

Porzingas can be had I think, but he's been missing games. Him and Vucevic in the same frontcourt would be insane especially combined with Ball running the offense.

They've dealt so many draft picks that it's hurting their ability to make future deals. That leaves White and Levine as the trade bait, but if Levine gets dealt you've got to get a star in return.

They did get a protected 2022 1st from Portland and a 2023 2nd from Cleveland, a bit of draft capital.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:33 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:07 pm AK knows what he's doing. I really need a reason to get back into the Bulls and it's getting there.

They did get a protected 2022 1st from Portland and a 2023 2nd from Cleveland, a bit of draft capital.
If there's a way to get Porzingas while keeping Levine. Say White + that Portland and Cleveland pick, but I have no clue how realistic that is. Porzingas has a monster contract. Between that and the injuries maybe we could get him for cheap?

I loved White out of college, but I don't think he fits what they're trying to do anymore even if he could provide scoring off the bench.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Well, the team has started off 2 - 0. Can't remember the last time this happened. Ball had a triple double against NO last night. LaVine's on fire as is Rozan through 2.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Ummmmmm soooo is it way too early to get excited?

They should’ve beaten the damn Knicks.

Do we seriously have a team that’ll compete for the top seed in the East?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:03 am Ummmmmm soooo is it way too early to get excited?
Nope.
The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:03 amThey should’ve beaten the damn Knicks.
Yep.
The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:03 amDo we seriously have a team that’ll compete for the top seed in the East?
I don't think so, no. I think they're probably middle of the playoff pack in the East. But they're sure fun to watch now.
KFFL refugee.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

And now the news that Pat Williams is out more or less the rest of the season with torn wrist ligaments. 😞 That sucks.

Bad for his development and bad for the team defense.
KFFL refugee.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Bad break losing Williams but the team responded well, beating a tough Jazz team and holding them to 99 points. DeRozan has been a beast, one of the best free agent signings the team has ever made.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

AYO!!!!!!!! The kid is showing he belongs and could be a steal of the draft. Coby White coming back soon.........the new Bench Mob is going to get stronger. Has me wondering will they hold onto White.

Vuc have a tough time shooting here of late. He has to get on track. Bulls need that #3 scorer.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

They might try to deal White. Finally a game where DeRozan didn’t have to go off for 30+ and they win solidly. Near the top of the league in point differential.

After getting blown out by the Warriors, the Bulls inserted Caruso into the starting lineup. They also began firing 3s and hitting on a bunch of them. They went into LA, won against the Clips convincingly and then just beat down the Lakers. Both without Vuke. I wonder if the Lakers are second guessing themselves for passing on DeRozan and going after Westbrook instead; Roz is getting early mention in the MVP talk.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Oh man is this a fun team to watch. DeRozan has rekindled his old Raptor's magic, Lonzo Ball is playing the position he was born to (completely misused in New Orleans), and Lavine isn't forced to carry the team. If we they can get Vuc going, it's truly a four headed monster. Ball is LIGHTS OUT from the 3p arc. Caruso is hilarious man, he steals everything. Just a fun and dynamic team. The best part may be Stacey King on TV. He's having a blast and is on his color commentator game. He's got new and hilarious tags for the new players, and in-game calls.

If the Bears get blown out by the Ravens, I am all Bulls for the rest of the year.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:16 pm They might try to deal White. Finally a game where DeRozan didn’t have to go off for 30+ and they win solidly. Near the top of the league in point differential.

After getting blown out by the Warriors, the Bulls inserted Caruso into the starting lineup. They also began firing 3s and hitting on a bunch of them. They went into LA, won against the Clips convincingly and then just beat down the Lakers. Both without Vuke. I wonder if the Lakers are second guessing themselves for passing on DeRozan and going after Westbrook instead; Roz is getting early mention in the MVP talk.
With Ball, Caruso, and Dosunmu, you don't need White anymore. You could get a high draft pick for him if you let him play and show off his skill set. DeRozan is BALLING this year. Just crazy. I was skeptical of the Lonzo Ball signing. Not anymore. That kid's the goods man. Keep in mind, these guys have never played together until this year. They are still getting used to in-game dynamics. We won't know the true potential of the team until mid-season. I think the ceiling is very high.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

It would be nice if they could trade White for a decent post player (depth) and a pick ( or 2). They played well with the small line up last night but you need a post banger at times.

Lonzo, poor guy, his dad has kind of ruined it for him. Daddy Ball has been quiet awhile thank goodness.