The 2021 Season Thread

6x NBA Champions

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

We all endured the painful years of GarPax. What finally motivated Reinsdorf to make a move and do things right will probably always be a mystery. But he did, hired a new GM, and Billy Donovan. Karnisovas and Eversley rebuilt this team from the ground up, preserving Lavine and White, and that was about it. They signed key role players, and went out on a limb and signed Demar Derozan to a 3yr/$85M contract, which a lot of NBA analysts were saying was a horrible signing.

But here we are. Bulls are 12-5, and 2nd in the East. DeRozan is the 3rd leading scorer in the league. The Caruso and Ball signings have turned this line-up into probably a top 3 defense and basketball IQ squad. They got White back, and are waiting for Vucevic to return from COVID protocols. So they haven't really had their entire team together yet, and they are still learning to play together as a unit. This is a fun team to watch.

So I thought I would start a thread specifically for the 2021-2022 season. I think the Bulls have a chance to challenge the top teams in the East, and possibly make a run at the finals. This is also year one of the new team, so we're in for this for the next few years.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Bulls v. Knicks:

Bulls struggled tonight against the Knicks and the refs, but showed a lot of resilience. Derozan went off for over 30 points...again. White came back tonight and was dropping 3's. I thought that once Caruso got into foul trouble, it really hampered the defensive effort. But the team fought through it and were able to come back in the 4th quarter and pull out a win. I'm finding that this is becoming a theme with this group. Don't count them out in the 4th quarter. Their defense locks down, and players step up and score.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I like the makeup of this team. Yeah, they lost 2 to the '76ers although I think a rematch would be different, they're playing completely different now. Great point differential, one of the best in the league. Scrapping, hustling team, which is my type of ball. The 'Hawks tore it down and ended up with 3 Cups. The Sox are seeing results. Now it's up to the Bears to get their collective heads out from where the sun don't shine, drop the deadwood, and build off of young key pieces.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Bulls vs. Pacers:

This would have been a winnable game for the Bulls, if they had not just come off of a dogfight with the Knicks the previous night. The Bulls got down early and looked exhausted. No spring in their step. Caruso was sidelined as well with a wrist contusion, which hampered the defense even more. The fact of the matter is, on full rest the Bulls would have probably beaten the Pacers. Stacey King mentioned a stat last night that was promising. With team records across the league RIGHT NOW, the Bulls have the 3rd easiest schedule the rest of the way. Hopefully that bodes well for our playoff seed.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

10 guys in the Covid protocol. 2 games postponed. What a bleeding mess. I hope everyone gets well and the Bulls find the smoking microbe.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

New Year's Eve 2021:

Will the Bears emulate the Bulls, dump management/coaches not doing their job, and head in the right direction? I still have some hope for major changes after the season.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

@Bears Whiskey Nut
@Grizzled

Holy shit! HE DID IT AGAIN!

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:23 am @Bears Whiskey Nut
@Grizzled

First time in NBA history! I stupidly went to bed early in the 4th quarter, missed it. Wow, just wow.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I wasn't high on the DeRozan signing, though it was entirely a value assessment in my mind ("he's good, but that's a lot of scratch...").

KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:58 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:23 am @Bears Whiskey Nut
@Grizzled

First time in NBA history! I stupidly went to bed early in the 4th quarter, missed it. Wow, just wow.
What are you thinking about the Bulls this season?

These guys are losing half their team to Covid protocols and are still kicking the crap out of people.

They haven't had Lonzo in a while for the same reason.

#1 SEED IN THE EAST! #1!

I never bought into The Baby Bulls thing. I figured that was going to be bogus. I thought D-Rose could be the guy, but obviously that didn't work out.

But these guys? This is the real thing.

AK isn't playing around. He built a contender. Donovan is for real too.

If they trade Coby White and keep the core intact for a quality big man. Dude, they could win it all.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:52 am
Grizzled wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:58 am

What are you thinking about the Bulls this season?

These guys are losing half their team to Covid protocols and are still kicking the crap out of people.

They haven't had Lonzo in a while for the same reason.

#1 SEED IN THE EAST! #1!

I never bought into The Baby Bulls thing. I figured that was going to be bogus. I thought D-Rose could be the guy, but obviously that didn't work out.

But these guys? This is the real thing.

AK isn't playing around. He built a contender. Donovan is for real too.

If they trade Coby White and keep the core intact for a quality big man. Dude, they could win it all.
I'll be honest, TMP, I'm more stoked since anytime since the last title. I wasn't a big believer in any of the teams since then, even the one which ended up with the #1 seed (2010?) and got beaten by LaChoke and his mercenary Miami team in the playoffs. This team is pretty solid. I think they could use a bit more rebounding but I like the tenaciousness of these guys. As you said, 10 guys out with Covid including the HC and they continue winning. They weren't sharp at all what I saw yesterday against the Wizards but never gave up and still won. I don't see any team head and shoulders about them so I agree, they could make a serious run at a title. I listened to the first game on my AM radio back in '67 and been a fervent fan since. Loved the '90s team, I doubt we'll ever see it's like but another title would be sweet.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The winning streak hits 8, longest since 2012. Saw the end of the game last night, quite enjoyable to watch this team.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Damn, rough stretch for the Bulls the past week. Losing 3 of 4 and getting man handled by GS, Brooklyn and Memphis. They need to get back to full strength.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Grayson Allen needs to be taken out of the league. Either by Silver or stretcher. The guy is psychotic. You can see it in his eyes. He knew EXACTLY what he was doing on the Caruso play. AC has the highest +/- on the team, and the Bulls win when he is active and healthy. I am confident however that Allen will get his due. He's going to hard foul/assault the wrong player on another team, and some bench mob guy is going to take him out...hard. Karma is coming for Grayson Allen, and when she arrives, it won't be pretty.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

DeMar is named as a started in the All-Star game, his excellence has been recognized. Still pissed at that Bucks pissant who broke Caruso's wrist and only got a one game suspension.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

DeRozan totally deserves it. He's been stellar this season.
KFFL refugee.

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

They just can't beat the 6ers. They were missing some guys, but still, the 6ers just have the Bulls #. Embid was on fire. It would be nice if Vuch was a little more aggressive.. DD was killing. Great addition to the team.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Bulls hold 'em at the trade deadline, no action. At this point, they're waiting for Williams, Caruso, and Ball to heal up and return. Now that the trade deadline has passed, teams will be buying out and cutting guys they couldn't trade so the Bulls might be able to sign a guy or 2 to give them more size, rebounding, and depth.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Can't say I'm surprised by them not making a move, only a few small chips to use and I don't think they like anyone they could've gotten as much as they like PWill.
KFFL refugee.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:54 am The Bulls hold 'em at the trade deadline, no action. At this point, they're waiting for Williams, Caruso, and Ball to heal up and return. Now that the trade deadline has passed, teams will be buying out and cutting guys they couldn't trade so the Bulls might be able to sign a guy or 2 to give them more size, rebounding, and depth.
I hope so. Right now it feels like subtraction by inaction. With the 6'ers and the Nets swapping two elite players, who will both do better in their new homes, I see this inaction as a huge step back for the Bulls. I think they probably could have pulled off a trade for Jerami Grant, and kept up with the other teams in the league that made moves. Let's just hope PWill comes back and can contribute before the playoffs get here.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

DeMar just broke an NBA record he had tied the previous game: core at least 35 points while shooting at least 50% in seven consecutive games. The late great Wilt Chamberlain held the record.

In other news, the Indiana Pacers have cut Tristan Thompson and he's going to sign with the Bulls. Thompson has playoff and championship experience, is an excellent offensive rebounder, and is tough on interior D. The Bulls definitely will benefit from this as these are weaknesses.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

DD is just killing it. He has got me watching more Bulls games than I have watched the past 10 yrs combined. This is a fun group to watch. There is no drama and all seem to get along. Surprised at how well Ayo is playing. Thompson will definitely help them out.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:38 am DD is just killing it. He has got me watching more Bulls games than I have watched the past 10 yrs combined. This is a fun group to watch. There is no drama and all seem to get along. Surprised at how well Ayo is playing. Thompson will definitely help them out.
I have to say, DD and Ayo are my most favorite players since the last title team. Ayo has turned into an absolute stea. Caruso should start getting back into game shape into about a week. Haven't seen the timetable yet for Ball or Williams but they could give the team a great injection of talent and effort near the end of the season.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Funny thing is, I have never been a Bulls fan. I have never rooted against them, they have just never been my #1 team. I have been a Celtics fan since Jo Jo White, don Chaney, Havilechek, Cowens, Don Nelson on to Bird McHale...... Bulls games were always accessible due to cable. Now that not many Celtics games are on (and that team is just not fun to watch now) I have tuned into more Bulls games Fun team to watch and glad they didn't unload any young talent.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Slightly disappointed there weren't any moves at the trade deadline, but yet making a move for the sake of making a move is pretty stupid.

They're #1 in the East with a ton of key players out due to injury.

I mean seriously unless if they could trade for Shaq in his prime there's really not that much to do.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not feeling too optimistic at this point. They seem to be getting beat by the good teams that they need to compete with. 6ers got stronger and the Bulls have not beat them in like 2 yrs. Ball, Williams and Caruso have been out. They will help some, but you wonder what the rotation is going to look like. I am not expecting much if anything from Williams. I think you kind of stick with Thompson throughout this season. He is more of an inside presence on D.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Bulls keep on getting their butts kicked by the better teams in the league. Doesn't portend well to going past the 1st round of the playoffs if they can't make the needed adjustments.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Defense has been their problem against the better teams. They can outscore the lesser ones. Much will depend on what happens when Ball and Caruso return, and whether Williams can provide additional wing defense.

Either way, it's been a damned enjoyable season.
KFFL refugee.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Lots of downs and a very few ups recently. The team is struggling to hold onto the 5th playoff spot but they're not far out of 4th or 6th. Unfortunately, they've sucked playing the better teams in the league. If they face Miami, Philly, or the Bucks in the 1st round, it might be a very quick exit.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Good read on one of the issues the Bulls still haven't fixed:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bulls/2022 ... etokounmpo