Bears cut WR Taylor Gabriel, CB Prince Amukamara

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

wab
Mod

As expected. I think there's a chance Prince comes back on a reduced deal.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Probably more to come.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

We all saw this one coming. I am hoping this makes more room for Ridley and Wims.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:37 pm As expected. I think there's a chance Prince comes back on a reduced deal.
I won't go so far as to say I expect that, but I'd think it's in both parties' interest to do so.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
G08
Hall of Famer

Saw this one coming from a mile away.

However... Instead of Phillip Dorsett in FA I have a feeling we draft a burner at WR with pick #43. Might see a trade down at 50.

Think this money goes to a stud TE in FA.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:51 pm Saw this one coming from a mile away.

However... Instead of Phillip Dorsett in FA I have a feeling we draft a burner at WR with pick #43. Might see a trade down at 50.

Sorta in love with KJ Hamler right now, so not too sad to see Gabriel go

Hoping Prince comes back
xyt in the discord chats
Umbali
MVP

Hamler looks fun to watch. I think his height will drop him out of the 1st round. I like his ability to come back to the ball as well as his insane speed. He just looks so fragile lol
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

crueltyabc wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:00 pm

Hoping Prince comes back
I gotta agree with you on Hamler. Right now I have us taking him with our #50 selection in my Picnic Basket. I think he lasts that long because of his size.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Obvious moves, but still give credit where do. Prior GM's didn't always make obvious moves!
Drone7
Player of the Month

We're giving Pace credit for cuts now?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Drone7 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:42 pm We're giving Pace credit for cuts now?
You mean for managing the team roster, evaluating cost-to-benefit ratio, and making decisions on that? For doing his job? Yes, we're giving him credit for doing his job, particularly when many of his predecessors would not have been willing to cut guys in similar circumstances.

I am perfectly aware how much better you could do his job than he could, or I could, or any of us could. Your brilliance is duly noted and your view of our collective ignorance is as well. Please direct your resume to Halas Hall in Lake Forest.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Drone7
Player of the Month

The Gabriel contract was a mistake. Amukamara was a good signing. And as others have stated, he might be brought back. But even if he isn't, he did well for the outlay.

I don't see why dplank and you believe other GMs wouldn't have made these moves. They seem predictable and common sensical given the contracts and current cap space.

But yeah, I don't hold Pace in high regard. I'm a fan of the team not the GM.
G08
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:00 pm

Hoping Prince comes back
Like Hamler but Jalen Reagor is giving me a boner.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Drone7 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:24 pm The Gabriel contract was a mistake. Amukamara was a good signing. And as others have stated, he might be brought back. But even if he isn't, he did well for the outlay.

I don't see why dplank and you believe other GMs wouldn't have made these moves. They seem predictable and common sensical given the contracts and current cap space.

But yeah, I don't hold Pace in high regard. I'm a fan of the team not the GM.
I just vaguely recall for many years being frustrated that the Bears didn't make what I and most everyone else considered "obvious moves". We always seemed to do things a little differently, and not to great effect which made it even more infuriating. This is one aspect of Pace I appreciate. He makes the layups.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

dplank wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:32 pm Obvious moves, but still give credit where do. Prior GM's didn't always make obvious moves!
Haha. I was honestly relieved to see this news. Like, I knew they were obvious cuts and all, but at Halas Hall you just never know.
Z Bear
MVP

We all predicted this...just like we all have been predicting and extension or rescinding for Floyd. I still will be shocked if they go into the new league year with him costing $13M.

They need to sign a RG, QB, ILB, and S in free agency bad. We need money to do that somewhere
G08
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:17 pm We all predicted this...just like we all have been predicting and extension or rescinding for Floyd. I still will be shocked if they go into the new league year with him costing $13M.

They need to sign a RG, QB, ILB, and S in free agency bad. We need money to do that somewhere
I think they're going to use Floyd as a hedge to what the market bears for some of these OLBs.

If you can get Dante Fowler, Jr, Shaq Barrett, Bud Dupree, Carl Nassib for cheaper than Floyd, you think hard about it and cut Floyd if you make the move.

If you don't, you tell Floyd to gauge his market value and come back to us with his best offer.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:29 pm
Z Bear wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:17 pm We all predicted this...just like we all have been predicting and extension or rescinding for Floyd. I still will be shocked if they go into the new league year with him costing $13M.

I think they're going to use Floyd as a hedge to what the market bears for some of these OLBs.

If you can get Dante Fowler, Jr, Shaq Barrett, Bud Dupree, Carl Nassib for cheaper than Floyd, you think hard about it and cut Floyd if you make the move.

If you don't, you tell Floyd to gauge his market value and come back to us with his best offer.
There's an incredibly narrow window for that to happen.

I for one won't be shocked if they bring back Floyd at the 1 year 13M. I don't think they should, but I won't be shocked.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I don't see them doing anything at WR outside of a fringe UDFA or FA. They have miller and ridley already invested for draft picks. Wims developing and Robinson to extend, patterson as the WR5/KR. 7th/UDFA/Fringe FA seems about right with the investment/performance they have.

If the line isn't fixed it isn't going to matter if all the WR's on the roster run the 40 in 4.1
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:08 pm
G08 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:29 pm

There's an incredibly narrow window for that to happen.

I for one won't be shocked if they bring back Floyd at the 1 year 13M. I don't think they should, but I won't be shocked.
If they pay Floyd 13 million, with his performance, while cutting prince to save 10 million pace should be fired immediately. Prince performed at or very close to his contract, he just didn't have dead money. Floyd hasn't come close to his draft status and at 13 million he is a farce.
Drone7
Player of the Month

Excluding Cohen and Patterson, I'd be interested to see the YAC figures for the Bears' (possession) receivers. I'm guessing it's relatively low.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

These are cuts I expected. Good moves by Pace. I'm curious to see if Shaheen will hang around for his final rookie deal, or if his cut is coming soon.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Common thinking on that is that Shaheen is on the roster in camp, and will actually have to play his way onto the team or he's cut.

BTW, is there an up to date cap number for us now that we've released Gabriel and Amukamara? We should be looking pretty decent...
IE
Hall of Famer

Gabriel should be the farthest thing from a possession receiver - but he was definitely used that way. Cohen too. God, I hated seeing those midgets being hung out to dry jumping for overthrown balls on curls. Those two guys should have been flying down field more often than not, or sitting and letting the big long bodies be the possession guys. It was good to see Miller come on because he can apparently do both. Really worried about his physical health though. If Ridley can't stretch the field and be a possession guy, they really do need to get a burner with a decent body.

I like Prince as a guy. But I have to tell you he totally lost me in the San Diego game. Rivers had him more than once with dimes to Williams... who had two left feet for hands that day. That game should not have been close. Prince was brutal. I don't think I want to see him back even on a deal, honestly.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Kind of in this camp - He didn't screw it up like Dion Sims- Hurrah?

Also - agreed that the Floyd thing is the most interesting (not the weird how can you cut Prince but not Floyd thing though)

It's one of the bigger needs and Floyd has leverage - Draft doesn't look great for it either

One thing I would do : Bring in Cam Wake cheap to be a rotational rusher
Middleguard
MVP

dplank wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:03 pm I just vaguely recall for many years being frustrated that the Bears didn't make what I and most everyone else considered "obvious moves". We always seemed to do things a little differently, and not to great effect which made it even more infuriating. This is one aspect of Pace I appreciate. He makes the layups.
It might not have been a slam dunk, but Pace missed a layup in 2018 that the rest of us could have made easily when he failed to cut Sims and save 5.7M.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Drone7 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:18 am Excluding Cohen and Patterson, I'd be interested to see the YAC figures for the Bears' (possession) receivers. I'm guessing it's relatively low.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/chi

Robinson
Total Yards: 1147
YAC: 279 (24.3%)

Miller
Total Yards: 656
YAC: 227 (34.6%)

Cohen
Total Yards: 456
YAC: 437 (95.8%)

Gabriel
Total Yards: 353
YAC: 79 (22.4%)

Wims
Total Yards: 186
YAC: 42 (22.6%)

Patterson
Total Yards: 83
YAC: 74 (89.2%)

Ridley
Total Yards: 69
YAC: 17 (24.6%)

For comparison, the NFL's top 5 wide receivers:

Michael Thomas
Total Yards: 1725
YAC: 582 (33.7%)

Julio Jones
Total Yards: 1394
YAC: 360 (25.8%)

Chris Godwin
Total Yards: 1333
YAC: 591 (44.3%)

Devante Parker
Total Yards: 1202
YAC: 291 (24.3%)

Keenan Allen
Total Yards: 1199
YAC: 368 (30.7%)

Perhaps the most striking statistic there is Cohen making a staggering 95.8% of his receiving yards after the catch. The previous season it was 72.3%. This indicates that they simply didn't throw it downfield to him at all in 2019 and that his usage was rather predictable.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

thunderspirit wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:59 pm
You mean for managing the team roster, evaluating cost-to-benefit ratio, and making decisions on that? For doing his job? Yes, we're giving him credit for doing his job, particularly when many of his predecessors would not have been willing to cut guys in similar circumstances.

I am perfectly aware how much better you could do his job than he could, or I could, or any of us could. Your brilliance is duly noted and your view of our collective ignorance is as well. Please direct your resume to Halas Hall in Lake Forest.
:thumbsup:

Let me just add, his posting here is far less troll-y and smug than his 1000's and 1000's back at CBFans.

This version is at least somewhat palatable in comparison.
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
G08
Hall of Famer

The Grizzly One wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:29 pm
thunderspirit wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:59 pm

:thumbsup:

Let me just add, his posting here is far less troll-y and smug than his 1000's and 1000's back at CBFans.

This version is at least somewhat palatable in comparison.
He can try that troll-y bullshit and get the ban hammer :)