Bears acquiring Foles for a 4th

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:39 am @HRH and G08....

Something for you both to consider. You both talk about how he went from 17 to 31, then go on to pontificate about reasons for the decline and why you think it's an anomaly - I get that, and a lot of what you say has a lot of truth to it.

HOWEVER, AFAICT you aren't considering the possibility of the opposite side of that coin. Which is: What if the 31 isn't the anomaly but the 17 is? Why is it ok to spin yarns about how this or that could be an explanation for Mitch dropping from 17 to 31, but it's not ok to spin yarns about how Mitch got his 17 to begin with? Isn't it more consistent to question both? Accepting his prior 17 as his 'actual' starting point because you like it, and only questioning his 31 because you don't like it, isn't sound logic. You either consider surrounding circumstances in both or neither if you want to be consistent and fair in your evaluation.

I've been arguing, without any response to it that I can recall, that Mitch's 17 was highly suspect and artificially fluffed by a high TD number that he didn't fully earn. I don't accept 17 as his starting point.That's because our defense literally had a historic turnover year and placed the offense in opposing territory frequently, and Nagy's first year play calls/trick plays WORKED at a very high rate. These two factors boosted his TD numbers artificially, which in turn boosted his QB rating artificially. Without that boost, what would his 2017 rating be and where would he rank ? I dunno, but I'm guessing low 20's (23/24 something like that).
Just to be clear, I've never suggested that Trubisky's 2019 season was an anomaly. I've tried to fathom why he performed worse statistically from Year 1 to Year 2 under Nagy. You may prove to be correct that Trubisky performed better in Year 1 than will prove to be the norm for him. There is obviously not enough data to make a determination at this stage. However the expectation is that a young QB in his second year in a system will have a better grasp of it and perform better. This is why the emphasis is on that second year drop off. It has nothing to do with me 'liking' the first year as a starting point.

In Nagy 1.0, Trubisky had to learn a new system and develop a rapport with a completely new group of receivers, so it was never expected that this would be his ceiling. His passer rating climbed from 77.8 to 95.4 and his QBR from 32.4 to 71.0, helped by factors including the overhauled receiving corps and the defense improving from top 10 in his rookie season to essentially the best in the league in his second.

In his third year everything around him got significantly worse and so did his statistics. Given that, MikeFive could be right that Trubisky actually didn't regress as an individual, but as you've pointed out dplank we don't know how many of the issues were a result of his play. This is the mystery right now.

What we do know is what the statistics and the tape tell us. The offensive line was bad. Leno got called for a lot more penalties, the Daniels/Whitehair switch was a failure and they had to change back, Long was so poor they sent him to IR five games into the season and replaced him with Coward, an undrafted, converted DL project who had never played o-line before. Their run blocking remained one of the worst according to Football Outsiders and their pass blocking grade fell significantly. PFF corroborated this assessment of the line. None of the running backs could average more than 4 yards per carry, a statistically significant factor in QB success I've demonstrated in other posts, and Cohen kept running towards the sidelines instead of fighting for yards upfield. Miller had issues running routes as mentioned by the coaches. The receivers as a whole dropped a ton more passes. The TE position, considered crucial in this offense, was a disaster area without a healthy Burton. The defense didn't perform so well outside of the first 4 games. The deck was stacked against Trubisky regardless of his own efforts. That's why I find it so difficult to judge him at this stage.

Football is the ultimate team game. How everyone around you performs impacts how you perform. I'm far from convinced that Foles will have any more success than Trubisky unless the coaching and level of play from the rest of the team improves. If that happens and Foles starts the season then the narrative will very much be that Trubisky was the issue, which may not actually be true. Trubisky might then end up playing well for another team while the Bears are left with a stop-gap in Foles while they search for another young QB. On the other hand, Trubisky may be the bust so many think he is. Only time will tell.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Good post HRH

So basically you guys are saying when everything around him is good, he can be 17 and when everything around him sux he will be bottom 3/dreadful.

Sorry but I want better than that. I want a guy where when everything is shitty around him he’s 17 and when it’s all great around him he is top 3. We CAN actually aspire to that in Chicago, had we drafted correctly two years ago we’d have it so it’s not unattainable.

Foles ain’t that guy either, I just think he’s better than Mitch. I really want us to take Hurts with our first pick.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Alright Damit. Trubisky is not without hope. But I really don't think he will do it. I'll be rooting hard for him the first few weeks. But by week 3 Foles is the man.

He will be better than merely solid. With this defense. Playoffs for sure....And dare I hope...YES.
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab I'd love if you were right, and 10 did turn out to be a late bloomer. Who would you compare him to? I think unfortunately for the Bears he has only a few scenarios where that happens in this jersey. One would be to win the job outright in camp and then follow that up with steady above-average level of play all season. Another could be Foles winning the job but getting injured and 10 comes in and then plays well and steady to the point where they want to extend him (I think Foles would probably take the option to bail). I'm just trying to think of another high pick that did bloom late for the same team.

I know I'm hard on the guy and also on folks who are cheering so hard for him that it looks like they really 100% believe he's going to turn it around. But that would be a good story, and I'd love to lose some bets and have a franchise QB. If there are any Devils around paying attention, I'd sell about anything to have the Bears be deep in the playoffs for the next 10 years and win one or two. LOL
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
IE
Hall of Famer

HRH ... only a #2 draft pick gets the sort of rationale that you laid out there. It all makes complete sense, and if you read what you wrote and didn't see and pay close attention to the actual games it would be very tempting to head-nod in agreement. But you did see the games, right? You do know that the WRs didn't drop most of the balls, and Oline didn't give him zero protection most of the time, right? The difference between the Bears performance in the areas you mention and any average team was just slightly marginal. Meaning Mitch had a ton of opportunity to perform in situations that were normal... and he just didn't for the most part, unless it was against a patsy or garbage time.

We can't continue to take refuge in yearly QB ratings when we're evaluating development. QBs with enormous peaks against garbage teams and valleys against everyone else and still appear average, when in fact they aren't. If their development measure is dependent upon them having patsies... that could end up being misleading and is not a good sign. Don't you agree with that, generically?

We've also discussed QBR and the enormous impact that the strength of the overall team has in that calculation. Off the top of my head I can't remember the exact percentage - but I do remember looking at it and seeing what an outlier Mitch was on the QBR list last year and once I read how much influence team quality has on that metric it was no longer compelling to me to compare QBs. The Bears were an incredible team in '18 and not so much in '19 to keep Mitch's QBR up. The team did drop off and all the points you made were true. But again... I think anyone watching the games and 10's performance with their own eyes would recognize his large contribution to the problem.

Watching Mitch in '18 and '19 was very much like watching Osweiler in '15 and '16. Both guys looked like they were exposed and over their heads.
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:31 pm Good post HRH

So basically you guys are saying when everything around him is good, he can be 17 and when everything around him sux he will be bottom 3/dreadful.
No, not really... I'm saying if you want him to master Nagy's system he needs to have a shot this season because of everything I said about year 3 in this scheme, etc.

Now, if you want to do what the 49ers/Titans did last year, I'm confident Mitch can find a lot of success because that's essentially what he was drafted to do for Fox/Loggains.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
dplank
Hall of Famer

@G08...I put way too much time into pulling that list for you not to comment on it. :nana:
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:31 am @G08...I put way too much time into pulling that list for you not to comment on it. :nana:
:lol:

I see 4 Super Bowl winners and 2 Super Bowl losers :wink:
dplank
Hall of Famer

That is really not a good read on that list man. When you scan it, it looks like a list of complete busts/losers, with a sprinkling of veteran QB's who had one bad year in their career (often at the very end). The % of guys on that list that were actually good QB's is extremely low. This is the hill Mitch needs to climb, it's possible but very unlikely.

Why in the world would you set the bar at "excellence" for our defense and for the players surrounding our QB, but settle for "mediocre/poor" at the QB position itself? It makes no sense. If your QB sucks, the answer isn't "keep him and get everyone around him to carry the team", the correct answer is "find a new one".
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:22 am That is really not a good read on that list man. When you scan it, it looks like a list of complete busts/losers, with a sprinkling of veteran QB's who had one bad year in their career (often at the very end). The % of guys on that list that were actually good QB's is extremely low. This is the hill Mitch needs to climb, it's possible but very unlikely.

Why in the world would you set the bar at "excellence" for our defense and for the players surrounding our QB, but settle for "mediocre/poor" at the QB position itself? It makes no sense. If your QB sucks, the answer isn't "keep him and get everyone around him to carry the team", the correct answer is "find a new one".
I get what you're saying... but, again, I'd be a hell of a lot more concerned if Mitch was an established veteran, 30 years old, etc. He's 25, in a highly complex offense.

This is the make-or-break season for me when it comes to him. I can argue positives, I can argue negatives, and I can argue development. Regardless, 2020 is put up or shut up for 10.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:31 pm Good post HRH

Sorry but I want better than that. I want a guy where when everything is shitty around him he’s 17 and when it’s all great around him he is top 3. We CAN actually aspire to that in Chicago, had we drafted correctly two years ago we’d have it so it’s not unattainable.

Foles ain’t that guy either, I just think he’s better than Mitch. I really want us to take Hurts with our first pick.
As G08 said, we aren't saying that if Trubisky's ceiling is 17th when everything around him is good and bottom 3 if it's dreadfall. Nobody can say for sure what his ceiling is because there isn't enough data. All we can say is that in the first year in Nagy's system when he had some good things around him he took a step forward from his rookie year and did OK. He did better in his first year in the system than the likes of McNabb (42nd in his first year and 21st in his first full year starting), Foles and Wentz (both 27th albeit as rookies), and similarly to Smith (14th after 7 previous seasons in the league). We can't say whether or not he would have done better in the second year if all the other variables had remained broadly the same. The fact is they didn't; they got significantly worse across the board.

We also can't say for certain whether Mahomes or Watson would have fared better in Chicago. They both joined playoff teams with winning records who traded up a significant number of spots to select them. Mahomes in particular landed in the ideal spot for a young QB. Trubisky wound up in the complete opposite. I have no problem with the Bears taking another swing at the position in the draft. Without a first round pick the odds of them finding that elusive franchise QB this year is very low, but if they do draft one then he should be in a much better situation than Trubisky was assuming the team does well enough in the coming season to keep Pace and Nagy in their jobs and retain continuity.
IE wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:33 am HRH ... only a #2 draft pick gets the sort of rationale that you laid out there. It all makes complete sense, and if you read what you wrote and didn't see and pay close attention to the actual games it would be very tempting to head-nod in agreement. But you did see the games, right? You do know that the WRs didn't drop most of the balls, and Oline didn't give him zero protection most of the time, right? The difference between the Bears performance in the areas you mention and any average team was just slightly marginal. Meaning Mitch had a ton of opportunity to perform in situations that were normal... and he just didn't for the most part, unless it was against a patsy or garbage time...

The team did drop off and all the points you made were true. But again... I think anyone watching the games and 10's performance with their own eyes would recognize his large contribution to the problem.
Yeah, I did watch the games and went back through quite a few of them too. I saw Trubisky make mistakes, make bad decisions and miss throws you'd hope and expect he would make. I also saw a lot of drives stall due to penalties, the inability to gain yards running the ball, dropped passes and failed pass plays caused by offensive linemen being beaten straight off the snap giving Trubisky no time. If it wasn't one player screwing up then it was another. The Bears were in third and long a lot of the time because of factors like these, which are low conversion plays. I'm not absolving Trubisky of anything, he made his fair share of mistakes, but your assessment that the difference in performance of all the position groups was 'slightly marginal' compared to average teams doesn't chime with mine and is not born out by the various statistics from a range of different sources that we have.

It may sound like I'm defending Trubisky to the nth degree, but I'm not. I'm being highly critical of the situation around him. I have no idea whether Trubisky just doesn't have it or whether he will be a late bloomer as others have suggested because of that situation. I saw an offense that was poorly coached with substandard play across the board. For that reason Nagy disappointed me far more than Trubisky last season.

If Foles is thrown into the same situation Trubisky faced last year then I doubt he will have much more success. He does have the advantage of experience over Trubisky so that may help. Then again, he's had a very up-and-down career. Hopefully whoever is at QB will benefit from much improved coaching following Nagy's changes to his staff, particularly in the running game which has been dire both years of Nagy's tenure.
G08
Hall of Famer

@HisRoyalSweetness I've never seen a QB get decked on a 3 step drop before until last season. Fucking awful.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:33 am We've also discussed QBR and the enormous impact that the strength of the overall team has in that calculation. Off the top of my head I can't remember the exact percentage - but I do remember looking at it and seeing what an outlier Mitch was on the QBR list last year and once I read how much influence team quality has on that metric it was no longer compelling to me to compare QBs.
Somehow I've missed this conversation, but that was my impression of QBR as well - it really measures the whole offense, not the QB's individual contribution - so I'm glad to see a similar take.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The ESPN metric is flawed but clearly better than simple QBR - There is almost zero reason to use QBR

I also think Watson is going to look worse this year - just because they won't have Hopkins - Throw in that they have less high picks than they should and are going to probably have to start paying Tunsil 20 Million a year - and that is a bad mix for a QB
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:02 am wab I'd love if you were right, and 10 did turn out to be a late bloomer. Who would you compare him to? I think unfortunately for the Bears he has only a few scenarios where that happens in this jersey. One would be to win the job outright in camp and then follow that up with steady above-average level of play all season. Another could be Foles winning the job but getting injured and 10 comes in and then plays well and steady to the point where they want to extend him (I think Foles would probably take the option to bail). I'm just trying to think of another high pick that did bloom late for the same team.

I know I'm hard on the guy and also on folks who are cheering so hard for him that it looks like they really 100% believe he's going to turn it around. But that would be a good story, and I'd love to lose some bets and have a franchise QB. If there are any Devils around paying attention, I'd sell about anything to have the Bears be deep in the playoffs for the next 10 years and win one or two. LOL
Yeah, I mean I don't think the Bears have time to wait. It was a 3-4 year window when they traded for Mack, and it's year 3.

I'm a Mitch fan, I don't think that's a secret. But barring a dramatic turnaround, you are right...his peak will be in a different uniform.

If I had to compare him to someone, I think he can have a career arc like Tannehill or Alex Smith.
dplank
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:38 am The ESPN metric is flawed but clearly better than simple QBR - There is almost zero reason to use QBR

I also think Watson is going to look worse this year - just because they won't have Hopkins - Throw in that they have less high picks than they should and are going to probably have to start paying Tunsil 20 Million a year - and that is a bad mix for a QB
You're hatred of watson is legendary, and horribly ill conceived. He will suffer from losing Hopkins for sure, anyone QB would. Even the GOAT suffered ups and downs based on the weapons available around him, but he never completely tanked. I bet you Watson is still is a top 15 QB even with no weapons and a shit OL, he's just that good. He carries that team on his back. And that's my entire point about Mitch, he's incapable of being even average when things around him aren't perfect. At least that's what he's shown to this point, no one has a crystal ball on the future.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

G08
Hall of Famer

It was a brilliant move any way you dice it.

At the ABSOLUTE WORST, he's your bridge QB and allows us to draft a QB in 2021 and sit/groom him.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Here's the full breakdown on his bonuses...
2021 Roster Bonus: $4M
2022 Roster Bonus: $4M
Annual $6M of Incentives/Escalators
QB Rating (not cumulative, min. 224 attempts)
95%: $500,000
98.5%: $1M
102%: $2M
Playing Time (not cumulative)
50%: $500,000
65%: $750,000
80%: $1.5M
50% Playing Time + Playoffs: $500,000 or
50% Playing Time + Playoff Win (50% snaps): $1M
Pro Bowl: $750,000
NFL MVP or Super Bowl MVP: $750,000
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:55 pm Here's the full breakdown on his bonuses...
2021 Roster Bonus: $4M
2022 Roster Bonus: $4M
Annual $6M of Incentives/Escalators
QB Rating (not cumulative, min. 224 attempts)
95%: $500,000
98.5%: $1M
102%: $2M
Playing Time (not cumulative)
50%: $500,000
65%: $750,000
80%: $1.5M
50% Playing Time + Playoffs: $500,000 or
50% Playing Time + Playoff Win (50% snaps): $1M
Pro Bowl: $750,000
NFL MVP or Super Bowl MVP: $750,000
Good details
They're not bad. About 2.5M (of the possible 6) would require him to be a total stud.

Let's play "How Much Incentive Does Nick Cash In?"!

I'll take 2.5M
Last edited by Moriarty on Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

So it looks like his cap hit is a tad over 5 million.

Foles is definitely betting on himself to opt out or has hit the point in his career where he is fine being a backup or bridge qb.
dplank
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:36 pm So it looks like his cap hit is a tad over 5 million.

Foles is definitely betting on himself to opt out or has hit the point in his career where he is fine being a backup or bridge qb.
Not really. He got a shit ton from Jacksonville too, I doubt he cares which team's check he's cashing. We've seen this before, it happens a lot in the NBA. Thinking he's at a point being fine as a backup, after just landing the biggest offseason QB contract to be the guy in Jacksonville the year before, is a bad take.

He's sorta betting on himself, but he's the one with the options going forward not us, and he already cashed in huge for 14 months of service in Jacksonville. So it's not a very risky bet at all and he holds all the cards going forward. Just a smart move all around IMO, for Foles, for Jacksonville, and for our Bears.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:36 pm So it looks like his cap hit is a tad over 5 million.

He could have been a bridge or backup on his old deal. Hes definitely betting on himself. Contrary to prior reports he's even giving up some guaranteed money in addition to the unguaranteed portions.

Big Dick Nick lives up to his name. That's Big Dick Energy right there.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:20 pm

He could have been a bridge or backup on his old deal. Hes definitely betting on himself. Contrary to prior reports he's even giving up some guaranteed money in addition to the unguaranteed portions.

Big Dick Nick lives up to his name. That's Big Dick Energy right there.
Yep, he basically tore up his old deal.
dplank
Hall of Famer

No way he does that unless he was told he's got a fair shot at being the starter, right?
IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:10 am No way he does that unless he was told he's got a fair shot at being the starter, right?
That's logical. It is possible that was required or it wouldn't happen.

I do like the incentive laden contract (what fan wouldn't?). He really is in the funny position to have to "prove it" again, even though last year he didn't really do anything to materially look like Jax made a bad signing.

I really liked Minshew last year - and like him even more now.
dplank
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:36 am
dplank wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:10 am No way he does that unless he was told he's got a fair shot at being the starter, right?
That's logical. It is possible that was required or it wouldn't happen.

I do like the incentive laden contract (what fan wouldn't?). He really is in the funny position to have to "prove it" again, even though last year he didn't really do anything to materially look like Jax made a bad signing.

I really liked Minshew last year - and like him even more now.
We'll see on Minshew, I'm not crowning his ass yet. He came down to earth some, and had a dirty secret no one discussed - FUMBLES. He fumbled a lot IIRC. We'll see how he does now that teams have some tape on the guy, he was a late pick for a reason.

To be fair, in spite of the butt fumble (or slightly not a butt fumble since a OL did actually graze him, still a turd play), fumbling is NOT a Trubisky problem generally. He only had 5. Minshew had 13. Wentz had 17! Ouch!
Last edited by dplank on Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I just watched the interview with Foles on the mothership...agree with others here that there's just nothing not to like about that guy. The difference between him and Mitch is so apparent in a setting like that, on one hand you see Nuke LaLoosh terrified to speak and can only communicate in stupid cliche's (kinda funny that he's about as accurate as Nuke LaLoosh as a thrower), and on the other side you have a totally self confident, relaxed, quick witted guy in Foles.

QB is a mental game first and foremost. I really like Foles, really hoping that we see his "good production" in 2020 and he cements himself as our guy going forward.

His daughter was absolutely precious too lol...
wab
Mod

Quick question, what is the best case scenario with Foles as the Bears QB? 10 wins and a playoff appearance?

I'm just legitimately curious as to what everyone's realistic expectation is.
Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

wab wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:04 am Quick question, what is the best case scenario with Foles as the Bears QB? 10 wins and a playoff appearance?

I'm just legitimately curious as to what everyone's realistic expectation is.
BEST CASE scenario is about 12 wins. Honestly it's more about the defense than the QB. I would expect Foles to be consistently average, which if the defense can repeat 2018 is enough to get that done. Remember, the average offense scores about 24 points per game while our defense allowed what, 16?

That said, I'm not sure an average offense wins a playoff game. Depends on the matchup