Official: Nick Foles named Bears starter, Trubisky to 2nd string

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

Fumblebuck wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:31 pm All that draft capital and all that time spent trying to develop Mitch, only to be back to square one. It is a tough bitter pill to swallow.

At least the page can be turned and a new QB can be looked forward too, some day.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Z Bear
MVP

Foles is the bridge to the next QB. Hopefully Pace does not fuck us again by trading away a bunch of capital to reach up for the wrong guy. I would hate to give away two 1st and this years 2nd to get Justin Fields or Trey Lance. I don't feel that is enough to get high enough for Lawrence, he is going #1 to whoever sucks the most this year.
IotaNet
MVP

Road wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:40 am... He’s a good kid thrust into a role he was completely unprepared for thanks to Pace selecting him way too high ...
IMO, this is it in a nutshell.

Kid did not have enough college reps coming into the league and therefore, not enough of a body of work to be accurately evaluated against. Another full year of college would have either:

A) Allowed him to develop more fully and perhaps be ready for the NFL
B) Provided a more accurate picture of his eventual ceiling & floor

Pace thought he was smarter than everyone else and projected something that wasn't there. Ultimately, Trubisky got hired to do a job that he was unqualified for and that is ALWAYS a setup for failure.

I'm not screaming for Pace's scalp but this miss is squarely on his shoulders and he should be held accountable for it.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

For what it's worth, I knew multiple college football nuts who thought Trubisky was the best QB prospect that year, so it's not like Pace was all alone
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Its great that Nick Foles is starting at QB now. So could we maybe use some of those TE's we got in the middle of the field. 4 TD's from Graham is incredible - but it would be great if we could take him out of the box before we get to the red zone. Cole Kmet too. He was a pretty high draft pick if I remember correctly. Caught some balls at that little catholic private university down the road.

So Nick, if I can call you Nick, I'd really appreciate it if you could find some TE.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
wab
Mod

I didn't want to start a new thread, but I took a gander at some of the QB's in the upcoming draft, and it's not super inspiring.

Lawrence, Fields, and probably Lance will be gone before the Bears pick. After that, it's Kyle Trask and a pretty significant drop off.

Should Foles play well and lead the Bears to the playoffs like many are expecting, it wouldn't surprise me if the Bears reworked his deal and just rolled with him for the next 3 years.

Outside of 4-5 guys, 2021 and 2022 QB prospects are pretty slim pickins.
wulfy
MVP

IE wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:05 pm
Otis Day wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:58 pm Hell, it is not up to Fangio anyway, Elway holds and plays the cards for the Broncos. I don't see him being interested in 10.
I'm starting to think we could see old Vic back in Chicago next season.
From your lips to God's ears.
wulfy
MVP

wab wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:34 pm I didn't want to start a new thread, but I took a gander at some of the QB's in the upcoming draft, and it's not super inspiring.

Lawrence, Fields, and probably Lance will be gone before the Bears pick. After that, it's Kyle Trask and a pretty significant drop off.

Should Foles play well and lead the Bears to the playoffs like many are expecting, it wouldn't surprise me if the Bears reworked his deal and just rolled with him for the next 3 years.

Outside of 4-5 guys, 2021 and 2022 QB prospects are pretty slim pickins.
I've watched a lot of Buckeye Football and I'll tell you that Justin Fields is going to be a very good pro - when all the dust settles, he will go second in the draft. He is a more accomplished (at the same stage) Dak Prescott.

One thing with Fields is that he'll have some patches where he makes some bad decisions and will sometimes hold the ball too long. He's such a great athlete, however, that he can often run himself out of trouble.
IE
Hall of Famer

I was really hoping they were going to trade '21 picks to get another 2 and pick Hurts in the 2nd. Next year's 2nd and a 4th or something. Or more! I was really freaking screaming at the TV ask my wife. lol

He was just sitting there. I'm super happy with JJ and Kmet. People had said next year's QB options were limited, and I didn't think the Bears would be in the top of the draft... plus Covid uncertainty - I wanted to mortgage next spring's draft for more known entities this year. Oh well...
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
thunderspirit
Head Coach

BreadNCircuses wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:50 pm For what it's worth, I knew multiple college football nuts who thought Trubisky was the best QB prospect that year, so it's not like Pace was all alone
A number of publications, too.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
spudbear
MVP

IE wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:02 pm I fully expect to see Mitch on the field again this year. QBs get dinged up.

I believe the kid has enough genuine humility to watch and learn. And maybe even a better ability to develop now without the intense pressure messing with his head. I don't think he responds well to pressure, and I have a theory it is related to experience and confidence vs expectations. Being in a backup role might be very good for Mitch. I can see him coming in as a backup with very good results. In those cases it would be a far different dynamic (e.g. a game plan designed specifically FOR him, versus him being expected to master everything like a franchise QB should).

So expect WHEN Mitch gets to play again later this year I believe he will be effective within his limitations.
NFL Channel has a spot coming up right now: Stick with Nick or Switch to Mitch? Uh, yeah.

At first I agreed with your post. No longer does Mitch have to "prove" himself as worthy of the #2 pick and better than the two QB's picked after him. That's over. He can be Mitchy the Kid and play his guts out if and when he gets back in.

There are 32 men each weekend that can call themselves starting NFL QB. Trubisky is below average in several important aspects: reading defenses, pocket awareness, reliably throwing the deep ball and recognizing/punishing teams when they blitz. He's had over three years to get it and it just has not happened.

So Mitch continuing his development and improving? Don't think so. WHEN Mitch gets to play Nagy would do well to change his game plan and utilize his running. No need to worry about his starting QB getting injured when he scrambles. Mitch's best chance of success relies on his feet and not so much his arm.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
wab
Mod

I just think back to Mitch’s rookie year. I wish they would have just stayed with Glennon and let Mitch sit. He’s never really had that chance to sit and learn. He’s always been thrust into situations before he was ready.

Oh well, I hope he slays it wherever he goes next.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

Foles + QB coach Defillipo = Superbowl. I said it...with some liquid courage of course!
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:28 pm I just think back to Mitch’s rookie year. I wish they would have just stayed with Glennon and let Mitch sit. He’s never really had that chance to sit and learn. He’s always been thrust into situations before he was ready.

You learn better by playing, I don’t think it would have helped him be anyone but who he is. I think his biggest issue was being a poor fit for Nagys offense, so maybe he’ll turn his career around when he gets to an offense that better matches his skills and minimizes his shortcomings. This is what happened with Taneyhill.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:46 pm
wab wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:28 pm I just think back to Mitch’s rookie year. I wish they would have just stayed with Glennon and let Mitch sit. He’s never really had that chance to sit and learn. He’s always been thrust into situations before he was ready.

You learn better by playing, I don’t think it would have helped him be anyone but who he is. I think his biggest issue was being a poor fit for Nagys offense, so maybe he’ll turn his career around when he gets to an offense that better matches his skills and minimizes his shortcomings. This is what happened with Taneyhill.
I mean, Mahomes sat for a year. You won’t convince me that didn’t help him.
Richie
MVP

BreadNCircuses wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:50 pm For what it's worth, I knew multiple college football nuts who thought Trubisky was the best QB prospect that year, so it's not like Pace was all alone
People straight up deny this but it's 100% true.

In order to convince a buddy of mine that this was the case - I literally sent him links to 10 of the biggest sites who do mocks and rank positional players. Demonstrating to him that Mitch was #1 in most of them and never lower than #2. With him always being well ahead of Mahomes, especially. Who was considered a reach by KC.
wab
Mod

Richie wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:07 pm

In order to convince a buddy of mine that this was the case - I literally sent him links to 10 of the biggest sites who do mocks and rank positional players. Demonstrating to him that Mitch was #1 in most of them and never lower than #2. With him always being well ahead of Mahomes, especially. Who was considered a reach by KC.
I mean there were people that had him as the 5th QB behind Mitch, Watson, Kizer and Dobbs/Kaya. Most had 3rd or 4th and it was almost universally understood that he was nowhere near ready to play and that his mechanics would have to be completely torn down and rebuilt.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:13 pm
Richie wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:07 pm

I mean there were people that had him as the 5th QB behind Mitch, Watson, Kizer and Dobbs/Kaya. Most had 3rd or 4th and it was almost universally understood that he was nowhere near ready to play and that his mechanics would have to be completely torn down and rebuilt.
I'm convinced Mahomes would have busted if he was drafted by this franchise.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:45 pm

Between the 3 of us we all had Watson or Mahomes ahead of biscuit. While I think anyone would be behind here, I dont think Wartson or Mahomes would have failed here.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Mahomes nor watson would be who they are today if they were drafted by the Bears. Not saying they would be failures, but they would not be as good as they are now if on the Bears.

I just don't see how you trade up for a guy who played one year at a subpar FBS school and you had Watson who was a proven winner.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:48 pm
dplank wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:46 pm

I mean, Mahomes sat for a year. You won’t convince me that didn’t help him.
Bingo. You learn by playing. But not necessarily better when you're not ready.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Yup.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:34 pm
We'll be lucky if he's good for 6 games. This switch has put an early nail in this season's coffin and thrown us deep into the "must draft QB now" pool.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Foles is a very capable QB who is capable of making all the throws (including a nice back shoulder that Wims wasn't expecting), and will trust his WR's to make plays. Where Trubisky held the ball waiting for guys to get open, Foles will try to throw guys open, or just throw it to a spot where his guy has a slim shot at it instead of taking a sack. He threw the game winner with a free blitzer in his face. Trubisky, for all his extra mobility, woulda been sacked.

The true test for Foles long term viability, is whether he is the unquestioned starting QB moving forward, or if Nagy just HAS to design a few well scripted plays a game for Trubisky.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Glad to get a W and Foles did well coming in. I am afraid we traded a game or two for the future. Foles is no long term answer, and everyone going ape for him seems to forget he's lost his job on what...4 teams? He never makes it through too many games without getting hurt, so if he is here by week 12 I am surprised. In the meanwhile Mitch's confidence is beaten down for sure, and loyalty to the Bears should he come back in and play well is likely shot. Why would he play for a coach that benches him on 1 pick amd two wins? We aren't going to be in contention to draft Lawrence or one of the top 3 QBs most likely as our record will be too good. I'd not mind us trying to sign Nick Mullins from san Fran to compete with Foles next year, but like I said, we traded a game or two of Ws for a big ??? for the future.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:42 pm Mahomes nor watson would be who they are today if they were drafted by the Bears. Not saying they would be failures, but they would not be as good as they are now if on the Bears.

I just don't see how you trade up for a guy who played one year at a subpar FBS school and you had Watson who was a proven winner.
This
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:55 am Glad to get a W and Foles did well coming in. I am afraid we traded a game or two for the future. Foles is no long term answer, and everyone going ape for him seems to forget he's lost his job on what...4 teams? He never makes it through too many games without getting hurt, so if he is here by week 12 I am surprised. In the meanwhile Mitch's confidence is beaten down for sure, and loyalty to the Bears should he come back in and play well is likely shot. Why would he play for a coach that benches him on 1 pick amd two wins? We aren't going to be in contention to draft Lawrence or one of the top 3 QBs most likely as our record will be too good. I'd not mind us trying to sign Nick Mullins from san Fran to compete with Foles next year, but like I said, we traded a game or two of Ws for a big ??? for the future.
Disagree about Foles' potential future here.
Trubisky wasn't pulled because of 1 play. He was pulled because his body of work outside a few random flashes, sucked.
Interesting that we disagree about Foles/Trubisky, but see the same potential in Mullens. I just posted in another thread about him
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Richie
MVP

Oh, lord.

Yeah, that 2018 team would have been so terrible to grow with. One of the best D's of the decade, good O-line, weapons, and an offense the league hadn't caught up to yet. Who could succeed in that nightmare scenario?
Richie
MVP

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:55 am Glad to get a W and Foles did well coming in. I am afraid we traded a game or two for the future. Foles is no long term answer, and everyone going ape for him seems to forget he's lost his job on what...4 teams? He never makes it through too many games without getting hurt, so if he is here by week 12 I am surprised. In the meanwhile Mitch's confidence is beaten down for sure, and loyalty to the Bears should he come back in and play well is likely shot. Why would he play for a coach that benches him on 1 pick amd two wins? We aren't going to be in contention to draft Lawrence or one of the top 3 QBs most likely as our record will be too good. I'd not mind us trying to sign Nick Mullins from san Fran to compete with Foles next year, but like I said, we traded a game or two of Ws for a big ??? for the future.
Mitch Trubisky was not benched over 1 pick. Give me a break. His body of work under Nagy spans across parts of 3 seasons now.
wab
Mod

Richie wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:21 am

Oh, lord.

Yeah, that 2018 team would have been so terrible to grow with. One of the best D's of the decade, good O-line, weapons, and an offense the league hadn't caught up to yet. Who could succeed in that nightmare scenario?
Because that scenario may not have existed. If Mahomes was drafted and followed the same path as Mitch in 2017, does Fox get fired? I mean if Mahomes is this legendary transcendent QB, he may have saved Fox's job. Then what, he retires and say...Gase inherits the team?