Looking like Trubisky Sunday night

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

docc
Head Coach

..yeah..we can all be thankful we aren't a QB behind what the Bears call an "OLine"..
spudbear
MVP

Yeah, Coward has to go if the Bears OL can have a chance for success. Don't know if Bars can play RT but I'd be willing to give it a shot. There's a slight silver lining for Sunday night in that the Puker D has slipped similar to the Viqueens, so Mitch could have a chance if he can deal with the blitzes, something Foles had trouble with against the Viqueens.

I hope it doesn't turn into a drinking game where you take a shot every time Mitch makes his "spin move" to get away from pressure. Sidestep and keep your vision forward doofus! Mitch may have worked more with Kmet and could give him some more opportunities, though Kmet's blocking needs work. Mooney also needs to get alot more looks than the last game.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

docc wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:06 pm ..yeah..we can all be thankful we aren't a QB behind what the Bears call an "OLine"..
:thumbsup:
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Just a quick reminder, that I'm sure I'll be linking back to later.

Before the events of the next 6 games excite you too much:

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl/remaining_ ... e_strength

The Bears have an incredibly easy schedule left. 5th easiest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dplank
Hall of Famer

This was all Pace's plan. Start Trubisky against 3 patsies, yank him and play Foles through murderers row, the put Mitch back out there for the final 5 "patsy run". It almost went off without a hitch, but Mitch sucked hard and had to be pulled a little early in order to save the ATL game, and then Foles sucked hard and they had to go back to Mitch one game earlier than the planned.

This is just a joke, please don't yell at me.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

HurricaneBear wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:22 am Gets to go back in vs Green Bay. I feel bad for Mitch. The Packers are going to embarrass us and Mitch will end up having most of the blame heaped on him. Speaking of the game, will there be a game thread??
I think most are long past blaming the QBs and are now looking at Pace and Nagy.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
G08
Hall of Famer

Hema2.0 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:32 pm
HurricaneBear wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:22 am Gets to go back in vs Green Bay. I feel bad for Mitch. The Packers are going to embarrass us and Mitch will end up having most of the blame heaped on him. Speaking of the game, will there be a game thread??
I think most are long past blaming the QBs and are now looking at Pace and Nagy.
Nagy thinking he could just switch to Foles and run "his offense" exposed him and how bad things really are.

Good coaches adjust to the players around them; great coaches adjust to the players around them and excel.

Let's see what he's got. The amount of egg on Nagy's face right now is embarrassing. "I didn't come here to run the I-formation." Motherfucker did you come here to win??
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:47 pm This was all Pace's plan. Start Trubisky against 3 patsies, yank him and play Foles through murderers row, the put Mitch back out there for the final 5 "patsy run". It almost went off without a hitch, but Mitch sucked hard and had to be pulled a little early in order to save the ATL game, and then Foles sucked hard and they had to go back to Mitch one game earlier than the planned.

The "planned" part is obviously not true.

But the reality is - if Mitch finishes out the season, he'll have starts in 2 Packer games + 7 against loser teams.
I'm confident that a lot of people will refuse to seriously consider that in their evaluations.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:14 pm
Hema2.0 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:32 pm

Nagy thinking he could just switch to Foles and run "his offense" exposed him and how bad things really are.

Good coaches adjust to the players around them; great coaches adjust to the players around them and excel.

Let's see what he's got. The amount of egg on Nagy's face right now is embarrassing. "I didn't come here to run the I-formation." Motherfucker did you come here to win??
Yup

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:47 pm This was all Pace's plan. Start Trubisky against 3 patsies, yank him and play Foles through murderers row, the put Mitch back out there for the final 5 "patsy run". It almost went off without a hitch, but Mitch sucked hard and had to be pulled a little early in order to save the ATL game, and then Foles sucked hard and they had to go back to Mitch one game earlier than the planned.

It’s just as likely as other conspiracy theories I’ve heard.
G08
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:17 pm

But the reality is - if Mitch finishes out the season, he'll have starts in 2 Packer games + 7 against loser teams.
I'm confident that a lot of people will refuse to seriously consider that in their evaluations.
... because Foles and this offense did well against poor defenses? Trubisky hasn't even played a snap yet since being benched. You're pre-emptively trying to discredit any potential success he and the team may have; get out of here with this nonsense.

AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:35 pm
Moriarty wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:17 pm

... because Foles and this offense did well against poor defenses? Trubisky hasn't even played a snap yet since being benched. You're pre-emptively trying to discredit any potential success he and the team may have; get out of here with this nonsense.
I'm pre-emptively trying to head off the giddy, contextless stupidity I know is on the way from certain quarters.

G08
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:06 pm
G08 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:35 pm

I'm pre-emptively trying to head off the giddy, contextless stupidity I know is on the way from certain quarters.
Points allowed
Packers - 17th (Titans, Panthers, Saints and Buccaneers were around here when we played them)
Lions - 30th
Texans - 22nd
Vikings - 27th (same Vikings we scored 6 points against our previous game)
Jaguars - 29th

I mean enough already. The rest of this season is about if Nagy can tailor his offense to the strengths of his players on that side of the ball, and if the players can execute.

If this team puts up 24 points on the Vikings, I'd consider that progress compared to the dogshit we saw week 10.

Eriebear
Journeyman

I'm glad Mitch is starting , Just hope from being benched it gave him a different perspective and maturity . One thing for sure is Mitch is 1000 times better when the pocket breaks down w/ this legs . I also think Mitch has a better Deep Ball than Foles .
That being said , I'm still amazed that our Rookie TE has so few targets ,even through he's a good blocker , but you don't draft a TE in the #2 Rd. to be a blocker. I guess w/ this O - Line any help he can give ( and it's plenty ) helps our AWFUL OT's .
Maybe "Money" Mooney can get hit in stride instead of waiting for the ball w/ Foles.
The next thing is = " Hey Pace ! (If your here ) It's OK to draft a OL-Player in the1st. and 2cd. rounds next year ! The Playoff teams do it all the time.
Lastly , I think Jaylon must be considered for ROTY on D
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Here are some highlights.

On his demotion:
I think more than anything I was caught off guard. I think in the beginning of the season I was just starting to build some momentum and then it kind of felt like a blindside.

The defense has been playing really well and I feel like I was part of that being on the scout team... I did feel during those weeks I got better as a player, just testing different throws, leading the offense and seeing a lot of good looks from our defense and going against them.
On working with Lazor:
It's been good. And that's been the main thing coming back, I just want to make sure the coaches are hearing what I have to say and taking in the factor, the input that I want to have in this offense coming back and running things that I'm comfortable with and things that I feel like we'll have success with this weekend.
On the back up role:
Really it reminded me of college a little bit when I was back in that role as a backup, just like when you're not in the starter role people aren't paying attention to you as much, they're not catering to how they want you to get better or evolve. So there was a little bit where I felt like I was on my own and I was like "I've got to find ways to continue to push myself and get better".

I think I actually thrive in an environment like that because it's back to where do you want to be, where do you want to go, what do you want to do with your career and I was just finding ways to push myself on my own...

After the first couple of days I really embraced scout team and I was testing throws that I wouldn't normally test if I was taking the starter reps and I felt like that was a lot of fun, especially going against our defense. They're obviously very good and talented and it's tough to complete balls on them, but when you go out to practice and you're completing a lot of balls and making a lot of tough throws I feel like I was progressing as a player. So I was just in a space where I wanted to push myself, continue to get better and I feel like that's where I have grown over this period of time.
I don't know about you guys, but it sound like a guy who's taken stock and realised he's got to take matters into his own hands. He clearly wasn't happy about the way he was benched so early in the season, he sound as if he's better prepared to stand up to the coaches and demand they listen to what he wants, and he's been left alone to work on different throws that he wasn't afforded the opportunity to try out before. In his mild-mannered way he struck me as a young man who's pissed off and has no faith in his coaches.

It's probably a forlorn hope, but I so hope he goes out there, plays free and kills it Sunday night.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Sorry Mitch

GSH
MVP

Soooo, its Hicks playing or is he out?
spudbear
MVP

G08 - minor nit to pick. Trubisky did get in one play since being benched, when he did his Hill imitation against the Saints and hurt his shoulder. Guess we'll see how well he picks himself up against the Pukers.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
dplank
Hall of Famer

Xee
Site Admin

Thanks for posting that @HisRoyalSweetness . I agree that Mitch seems pissed at the situation he's in and really wants to turn things around. We've seen this before though, especially at the start of this season, so I'm hoping that this time around he can finally put all the pieces together.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

Nagy has just fucked this up so royally.
Barring injury, my guess is we'd be 7-3, no worse than 6-4 with Mitch at the helm with a different outlook on where things are headed. Pace sees this as well.
Mitch is no Mahomes, but he can definitely play to the level of a Tannehill with just a little help. We've seen it. And now we know that even when Nagy gets "his" QB, his offense just isn't worth a crap. My prediction: The Bears end up franchising Mitch at the end of the year. If I'm him, I walk into Pace's office and say "get me a competent OC in here. Pick me vs. him" Cause you know Pace is going "WTF" with trotting Foles (Noles?) out there to do nothing week after week.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Lol

The franchise tag for a QB next season is estimated at over 25M. You want to give a 10M raise to a guy who was bottom 3 in the NFL last year you benched this year? That would guarantee no ARob and no OL FA either. Also means not drafting one most likely.

Also, did you reverse the ATL game from a W to a L in your revised view? :frustrated: Which 3 losses would Superman Mitch and his sub 90 QBR have won for us? My guess is we’d be 4-6, cause the ATL game would be a loss clearly and I bet we’d lose that Tampa game too, but maybe Mitch pulls out the Minny game last week as Foles was awful.

I’ll literally stop watching the team if they franchise Mitch. That would be the final straw. We are already stuck with one shit QB in Foles, let’s not have two (again).
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

How I miss Jay Cutler. At least then we argued about one QB instead of two(not very good) QBs. Those golden years of Bears fandom....
DevilsProspect
Pro Bowler

With butthurt feelings aside, I would like to see Trubisky re-signed. I don’t see the market being very high on him unless he balls out the rest of season. I really fail to see him being terrible. I’ve seen him make plays. There really is no telling what this offense did to him mentally. It’s hard for any QB to do well without any sort of Rythem. He seemed to do well the few times they went uptempo.

Terrible play calls
Terrible play design
Terrible trust
Terrible line play
Terrible run game (which is partial lack of commitment to it)

I could go on, but I really don’t feel like he’s ever been in the position to succeed. I’m not saying he is a great QB, but feel he can play in this league. With an improved line and better game plan/play calls/ play design, we could see success with the defense.

Even though the above wouldn’t have been fixed whether he got benched or not, I was still against the QB change. The game they put Foles in for the comeback win, it was the right call for the spark. But I fully expected Trubisky to start the following week. He lead the team to 3 wins prior to the game. Trubisky wasn’t lights out, but he didn’t play so horrific to bench. Considering he is still young and the team invested so much in him it was just a bad call as an organization. At the very least, if he sucked over a few more games then you decide to go in different direction. Unfortunately, now we know it wasn’t all on Trubisky. Obviously it’s the whole offense from the top down.

My brain of me hopes to see no improvement in the offense so we at least end up with a little better pick in the draft. The fan in me wants Mitch to ball out and kick ass. But if Mitch does do well, the Bears are screwed in every which way possible.
AC 46Blitz
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Even for a franchise which is noted for offensive ineptitude, the Bears are setting new standards for themselves this year. Do they still think Trubisky's career can be resurrected as he leads them to the playoffs? There is no other reason to play him anymore this season.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I’d be fine bringing him back on a Marcus Mariota type deal, 2 yrs 17m, puts him slightly above a backup QB comp. But franchise him at 25M? What??
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:10 am I’d be fine bringing him back on a Marcus Mariota type deal, 2 yrs 17m, puts him slightly above a backup QB comp. But franchise him at 25M? What??
Specific to this year and the cap crunch I actually think that would be quite rich in terms of backup QB money. Lots of 1 year deals this year as guys try and wait out the market. I'd say Trubisky tops out at 4m on a one year deal, though thats max. I'd say the median point is more like 1.5-2M.

But yea, a franchise tag.. Craziness. I don't care if he leads them to 10 straight wins and is lifting up the Lombardi and saying he's going to Disney World.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Perhaps we should just wait until we see how Trubisky does tonight, and if he does well then how he does in the coming weeks, before we start projecting on his future and his worth?

The irony is that if he lights it up the rest of the season then he'll save Nagy's job for sure, but the relationship between them seems wafer thin right now and it's unlikely to be harmonious keeping the two together. If he continues to struggle then Nagy may well lose his job and who knows maybe the next coach points to Nagy being the problem and sees something in Trubisky he can work with. If Pace is still the GM then that would hold a certain appeal to him and maybe for Trubisky too.

I can't imagine for one moment a scenario where both Nagy and Trubisky are with this team next season.
G08
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:02 pm

Here are some highlights.

On his demotion:
I think more than anything I was caught off guard. I think in the beginning of the season I was just starting to build some momentum and then it kind of felt like a blindside.

The defense has been playing really well and I feel like I was part of that being on the scout team... I did feel during those weeks I got better as a player, just testing different throws, leading the offense and seeing a lot of good looks from our defense and going against them.
On working with Lazor:
It's been good. And that's been the main thing coming back, I just want to make sure the coaches are hearing what I have to say and taking in the factor, the input that I want to have in this offense coming back and running things that I'm comfortable with and things that I feel like we'll have success with this weekend.
On the back up role:
Really it reminded me of college a little bit when I was back in that role as a backup, just like when you're not in the starter role people aren't paying attention to you as much, they're not catering to how they want you to get better or evolve. So there was a little bit where I felt like I was on my own and I was like "I've got to find ways to continue to push myself and get better".

I think I actually thrive in an environment like that because it's back to where do you want to be, where do you want to go, what do you want to do with your career and I was just finding ways to push myself on my own...

After the first couple of days I really embraced scout team and I was testing throws that I wouldn't normally test if I was taking the starter reps and I felt like that was a lot of fun, especially going against our defense. They're obviously very good and talented and it's tough to complete balls on them, but when you go out to practice and you're completing a lot of balls and making a lot of tough throws I feel like I was progressing as a player. So I was just in a space where I wanted to push myself, continue to get better and I feel like that's where I have grown over this period of time.
I don't know about you guys, but it sound like a guy who's taken stock and realised he's got to take matters into his own hands. He clearly wasn't happy about the way he was benched so early in the season, he sound as if he's better prepared to stand up to the coaches and demand they listen to what he wants, and he's been left alone to work on different throws that he wasn't afforded the opportunity to try out before. In his mild-mannered way he struck me as a young man who's pissed off and has no faith in his coaches.

It's probably a forlorn hope, but I so hope he goes out there, plays free and kills it Sunday night.