Bears sign DT Mike Pennel

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

cblaz11
MVP

Chiefs fans were pretty bummed that he got away...let’s hope he turns into another good under the radar Pace signing!
G08
Hall of Famer

Quality run stuffer, I like the signing.

Does make me worry a bit about Goldman, though...
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
dplank
Hall of Famer

I was reading a story about Cole Beasley that got me wondering if that was part of Goldman's issue. Beasley is a massive loser moron who wants to put Covid "in Gods hands" as his reasoning for not getting vaxxed. And the league has a stringent policy for players who don't get vaxxed - they can still play but have to submit to daily testing, no visitors on road games, etc - basically what they all had to deal with last year. And he's saying he won't comply, and they can fine him or make him retire and he doesn't care.

I'm wondering if Goldman has some vax fear and doesn't want to deal with all the shit that would come with playing unvaxxed.
cblaz11
MVP

He’s not a loser because he chooses not to get the shot....it’s his choice and even though I disagree, I support him choosing what goes into his body. Let’s not trash the guy because he has different beliefs...People want everyone to be open minded until someone disagrees with them. That needs to go both ways.

As far as Goldman...if he’s got the shot(which I’m sure he does), it’s time to get back to work. He, has zero excuses for not being in amazing shape. If he’s not able to move on with his life and he wants to be a shut in, retire and pay back the signing bonus. The Bears will be fine if that’s the route he chooses.
Artbest
Player of the Month

Beasley isn’t a loser because he won’t get vaccinated - he’s a loser/malcontent because he refuses to comply with the league rules for players who aren’t vaccinated. That’s the issue and Beasley has no credible leg to stand on
dave99
Assistant Coach

Beasley has said he is happy to retire if that is what is required for him to stick with his principles.
I think he is making a mistake, my wife and I got vaccinated first chance we got, but it's his mistake to make.
At least he is putting his money where his mouth is and not just spouting off to hear himself talk.

Goldman's disappearance is far more mysterious. If he wants to retire he should get on with it and let the Bears and the Goldman's' move on.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

An insurance policy in case things don't improve with Goldman. Kwann Short is still available, he'd be a decent replacement.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
dplank
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:27 am He’s not a loser because he chooses not to get the shot....it’s his choice and even though I disagree, I support him choosing what goes into his body. Let’s not trash the guy because he has different beliefs...People want everyone to be open minded until someone disagrees with them. That needs to go both ways.
I’m very open minded but not when community safety is involved. Hey, I think I’m going to drink a fifth of whiskey and go for a joy ride and, you know, put it in Gods hands. Should you be open minded about my choice? Nope. Fuck him. Hope he’s forced to retire and the league holds firm.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Goldman or no Goldman, we need Dline help. Great signing.

Now Pace needs to find another Offensive Linemen and it may just be a halfway decent year for us.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:30 am
cblaz11 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:27 am He’s not a loser because he chooses not to get the shot....it’s his choice and even though I disagree, I support him choosing what goes into his body. Let’s not trash the guy because he has different beliefs...People want everyone to be open minded until someone disagrees with them. That needs to go both ways.
I’m very open minded but not when community safety is involved. Hey, I think I’m going to drink a fifth of whiskey and go for a joy ride and, you know, put it in Gods hands. Should you be open minded about my choice? Nope. Fuck him. Hope he’s forced to retire and the league holds firm.
What is that shot going to do to you in 5 years? Nobody knows. Did any of the shot flavors go thru a normal FDA or any other kind of long term trial? No they didn't. They were rushed through. I myself at age 60 hesitated about getting my vax and finally got #2 last week. There's simply no secure evidence that says there won't be any long term effects. How open minded are you to the possibility that we've just created an opportunity for community wide medical side effects?

I don't know exactly what the right move is here, based on the lack of information. I can only make a decision for me that I think is right and live with the consequences. I can live with someone deciding it may not be right for them.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:20 pm I was reading a story about Cole Beasley that got me wondering if that was part of Goldman's issue. Beasley is a massive loser moron who wants to put Covid "in Gods hands" as his reasoning for not getting vaxxed. And the league has a stringent policy for players who don't get vaxxed - they can still play but have to submit to daily testing, no visitors on road games, etc - basically what they all had to deal with last year. And he's saying he won't comply, and they can fine him or make him retire and he doesn't care.

I'm wondering if Goldman has some vax fear and doesn't want to deal with all the shit that would come with playing unvaxxed.

I subscribe to the Cole is a loser camp.

He also said he wouldn't get treatment for a broken leg before he had a broken leg.

It's almost like he isn't a doctor - weird
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:04 pm

What is that shot going to do to you in 5 years? Nobody knows. Did any of the shot flavors go thru a normal FDA or any other kind of long term trial? No they didn't. They were rushed through. I myself at age 60 hesitated about getting my vax and finally got #2 last week. There's simply no secure evidence that says there won't be any long term effects. How open minded are you to the possibility that we've just created an opportunity for community wide medical side effects?

I don't know exactly what the right move is here, based on the lack of information. I can only make a decision for me that I think is right and live with the consequences. I can live with someone deciding it may not be right for them.
This is mostly propaganda - They had been working on Covid stuff well before this pandemic (There is a reason this is Covid-19, not Covid-2). Most of Operation Warp Speed had to do with just being smarter about the red tape.

I.E. Doing the tests 3 and 4 at the same time (since they were actually independent of one another) (*)

(*) The better question- WHY DONT WE ALWAYS DO THIS!

Also - most vaccines throughout history have had side-effects usually occur within the first 2 months of testing the vaccine. Is this an absolute? No. But is there "likely" to be something longer term - No as well.

Why is Cole playing outside games when he might get struck by lightning?!?!?
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

This might be a valid analogy if the only people you'd have a chance of hitting are others who also drank an fifth of whiskey and even then you only had a 1.8% chance of hitting each other.

Just saying.

What happened to "my body, my choice?"
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:54 pm
Mikefive wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:04 pm What is that shot going to do to you in 5 years? Nobody knows. Did any of the shot flavors go thru a normal FDA or any other kind of long term trial? No they didn't. They were rushed through. I myself at age 60 hesitated about getting my vax and finally got #2 last week. There's simply no secure evidence that says there won't be any long term effects. How open minded are you to the possibility that we've just created an opportunity for community wide medical side effects?

This is mostly propaganda - They had been working on Covid stuff well before this pandemic (There is a reason this is Covid-19, not Covid-2). Most of Operation Warp Speed had to do with just being smarter about the red tape.

I.E. Doing the tests 3 and 4 at the same time (since they were actually independent of one another) (*)

(*) The better question- WHY DONT WE ALWAYS DO THIS!

Also - most vaccines throughout history have had side-effects usually occur within the first 2 months of testing the vaccine. Is this an absolute? No. But is there "likely" to be something longer term - No as well.

Why is Cole playing outside games when he might get struck by lightning?!?!?
Propaganda is expressed by propagandists, i.e. people who have a particular--generally untrue and highly slanted message they wish to convey in order to satisfy some particular end. I am not a propagandist. I am an individual who is trying to think this stuff through to the best of my ability based on the information I have. I am rather disappointed that you would place such a label on me when you know very little about me or my motivations. Was this vax rushed out in an effort to solve the public crisis? It seems abundantly clear to me that it was. You have made a claim about Operation Warp Speed which I know nothing about. Care to provide some information for me instead of essentially name calling?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I trust Pace’s ability to land an impact player, he’s done it a few times now Edwards being the latest. But I want Eddie back, he was a difference maker up front.

If Eddie is back, is there room for both Pennel and Tonga?
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

cant wait for training camp when eddie's back and all this baseless speculation is far in the rear view mirror.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Yup same thing. Exactly the same thing.
My wife got the first shot had a bunch of blood clotting issues. But is the same thing.

It's his choice. Just like its goldmans choice.
dplank
Hall of Famer

It’s his choice to retire, it’s not his choice to play and disregard the safety protocols and endanger others.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

But the only people he's endangering are others exactly like him--those also refusing to get vaccinated. So who the fuck cares?

UOK
Site Admin

OK, so locking this before it becomes a clusterfuck, as nobody has anything to say about the signing.