NEWS: Grossman's Heroics Push Bears Past Lions

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Rex Grossman filled in for an injured Kyle Orton and ran for the winning touchdown as the Chicago Bears came from behind to down the Detroit Lions, 27-23, at Soldier Field.

Orton left the game towards the end of the first half with a right ankle injury as he was sacked by Cory Redding and Dewayne White fell on top of him. Orton was taken off the field on a cart and Grossman took his spot to start the second half. Orton went 8-for-14 with 108 yards and also had a rushing touchdown.

Grossman finished the game 9-for-19 with 58 yards, one touchdown and one interception. He guided the Bears (5-3), winners of two straight, to two touchdown drives in the second half while the defense caused three turnovers in the second half.

Matt Forte had 22 carries for 126 yards while Rashied Davis had five catches for 64 yards and a score for Chicago, which won both games against Detroit this season and improved to 4-1 at home.

Chicago is now in sole possession of first place in the NFC North, one game ahead of Green Bay, which lost to Tennessee, 19-16, in overtime on Sunday.

Dan Orlovsky went 28-for-47 with 292 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions and Calvin Johnson had eight catches for 94 yards and a touchdown for the Lions (0-8), who remain winless on the season and have dropped nine in a row dating back to last season.

After a pair of punts to start the second half, Chicago, which was trailing by 10 points, cut into the lead. Starting with the ball in Lions' territory, Grossman needed just five plays to get into the end zone as he found Davis for a six-yard score to make it a 23-20 game with seven minutes left in the third.

Detroit was threatening in the fourth quarter as they had the ball in the red zone, but Orlovosky was picked off by Craig Steltz. However, Grossman was then picked off by White.

After the teams exchanged punts, the Bears took the lead. On Detroit's punt, Devin Hester returned it 20 yards and Chicago got another 15 yards on a horsecollar tackle personal foul on Detroit to start with the ball near midfield.

On the first play of the drive, Forte took the ball around the left end for 13 yards. Four plays later, Forte gained another 19 yards on a carry up the middle for a 1st-and-goal. Grossman then forced the ball into the end zone from a yard out for a 27-23 lead with 5:36 to play.

Detroit had a chance as a 12-yard punt from Brad Maynard gave Detroit the ball at its own 42 with just under three minutes to play, but Michael Gaines fumbled a reception, which Chicago recovered.

The Lions stopped Chicago and got the ball back at its own 13 with 64 seconds to play. The team got to the Chicago 32, but a Hail Mary pass on the last play of the game was knocked down and the Bears held on for the win.

Chicago got an early turnover as Mike Brown picked off Orlovsky on the third play from scrimmage. Brown took the ball into the end zone, but Detroit challenged the call and replays showed that he was down by contact and the Bears started with the ball near midfield.

The Bears did get points off of the turnover, though, as Robbie Gould hit on a 36-yard field goal for a 3-0 lead less than four minutes in.

Chicago held Detroit to a three-and-out and started with the ball at its own 42. On 3rd-and-10, Orton hit Hester for 18 yards to get the ball past midfield. Then facing a 3rd-and-goal at the five-yard line, Orton kept it himself and ran it into the end zone from the left side for a 10-0 lead with 4:32 left in the first.

The Lions, though, scored three straight times to take the lead.

After the Chicago touchdown, Detroit responded with a strong drive to cut into the deficit. A 12-play, 70-yard drive was capped off on a one-yard touchdown plunge by Kevin Smith. Jason Hanson's extra-point attempt was unsuccessful as the holder fumbled the snap and it was a 10-6 game with 13:21 left in the first half.

Hester fumbled the ensuing kickoff and Detroit recovered at the 17-yard-line. On the first play, Orlovsky found Johnson in the end zone and the Lions held a 13-10 lead just 13 seconds after their first score.

The Lions defense came up with a stop on the Bears' next touch and a 27-yard punt return from Shaun McDonald gave the team the ball near midfield. Orlovsky got the team down the field quickly and, on 3rd-and-5, he stepped up in the pocket and hit McDonald in the left corner of the end zone on a 14-yard score for a 20-14 lead with 6:48 left in the half.

Chicago answered on the next touch as the team got a 41-yard field goal from Gould to make it a seven-point game with 4:41 to play in the first half.

Detroit, though, answered with a 52-yard field goal from Hanson to take a 10- point lead into the locker room.

Game Notes

It was the first rushing touchdown of Orton's career...Hanson went over 1,700 points for his career. He is 5-for-5 on field goals of 50-plus yards this season...Brown left the game late in the first half with a calf injury...It was Steltz's first career interception...The Lions have dropped nine straight road games and have not won as the guest since beating the Bears, 16-7, at Soldier Field last October 28...Chicago leads the all-time series with Detroit, 89-64-5...McDonald had six catches for 65 yards and a score...Detroit had just 53 yards on the ground, compared to 154 for Chicago.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Beardude
Practice Squad

I wish Rex well but I'd say Forte and the play of the defense in the second half were far more heroic than Rex.
G08
Hall of Famer

Beardude wrote:I wish Rex well but I'd say Forte and the play of the defense in the second half were far more heroic than Rex.
+1 :lol:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Beardude wrote:I wish Rex well but I'd say Forte and the play of the defense in the second half were far more heroic than Rex.

Why let minor details get in the way of a good story?
Pagan
MVP

DaDitka wrote:

Why let minor details get in the way of a good story?
I'm happy that Rex came in and we didnt lose- but to use the word "heroics" with that last game? I dont think any player or coach can accept that lable without being followed with laughter.

I wish Rex well. He plays lights out while he's in, that means the Bears have a great chance of winning and Grossman has a good argument to be considered starter material for some team after this year.
win+win.

pagan
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Pagan wrote:
I wish Rex well. He plays lights out while he's in, that means the Bears have a great chance of winning and Grossman has a good argument to be considered starter material for some team after this year.
win+win.

pagan

Even though some think I'm a hater....I'll drink to that :cheers: