Update: Jay Cutler meeting with CBS, ESPN about broadcast career

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:@AdamSchefter
Before deciding to go to FOX, Jay Cutler had real discussions with Jets, and less-promising ones with Texans. Cutler opted for analyst role.
i like todd bowles and really want to believe he's the guy who's going to turn the jets around finally, but... i'm glad cutler had the sense to stay away from that dumpster fire. i dont have any desore to see him collecting a check while getting his shit pushed in in the meadowlands.
G08
Hall of Famer

Good for him, man. Good for him.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

UOK
Site Admin

@Spiegel_Parkins
Cutler's broadcast debut will be the August 27th preseason game...Bears / TItans in Nashville. via

@BearsFansOnline
23s
Spiegs went on to say that Cutler "blew them away" with his work ethic, studious nature of his preparation, & knowledge of TV rhythm. #Bears

Spiegs said that he watched every game that Birkhardt called last season to get an understanding for his cadence and timing, knew the depth charts top to bottom of the teams he was going to call, and offered insightful analysis that impressed Fox greatly.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

I'm happy for the guy. Regardless what most people said about him, I liked him. I feel he gave it his all, and wasn't always surrounded by a supportive cast or competent coaches. He showed flashes of greatness then showed flashes of WTF was that, but I do truly think he wanted to win here.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I'm excited to see how this goes. Should be good for him...he can show the side that everyone believes isn't there.
I imagine the following...

Play by play guy: Stafford goes play action, and hits Tate for a gain of 19. That was some play action fake, Jay!
Jay: Don't care.
Play by play guy: Yeah, but who expected that call on 3rd and inches.
Jay: Eh.

LOL. Of course, that's not fair even if it somewhat reflects the personality we saw in press conferences. A co-worker of mine suggested what you said, that we'll see a different side of Jay in game analysis. And that has to be true, otherwise Fox wouldn't have hired him for that role. It will be interesting to see how this plays. Good luck to him.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

bearsfaninaz wrote:I'm happy for the guy. Regardless what most people said about him, I liked him. I feel he gave it his all, and wasn't always surrounded by a supportive cast or competent coaches. He showed flashes of greatness then showed flashes of WTF was that, but I do truly think he wanted to win here.
+1.

No one who took the hits he took as a Bear and kept getting back up doesn't love the game.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Funkster
MVP

That finding nemo looking dude on "first take" was really ripping on Cutler today. At some point, every commentator that has ripped him through the years, may cross paths with him. Should be interesting to see how they talk about him to his face and how Cutler responds.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Gaytoe
Journeyman

First broadcast will be preseason game 3: 8/27 Bears vs Titans
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote: LOL. Of course, that's not fair even if it somewhat reflects the personality we saw in press conferences. A co-worker of mine suggested what you said, that we'll see a different side of Jay in game analysis. And that has to be true, otherwise Fox wouldn't have hired him for that role. It will be interesting to see how this plays. Good luck to him.

I thought Jay was pretty entertaining on his ESPN1000 radio show. He does have a personality and can be pretty charming and engaging when his football IQ wasn't being challenged by a radio dope.

I can't wait.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
IotaNet
MVP

thunderspirit wrote: ... No one who took the hits he took as a Bear and kept getting back up doesn't love the game.
Totally agreed.

There was a game against the Giants (I think) a few years back where Jay was getting CREAMED ... at one point, it was successive plays that he was getting plastered out there. He kept getting back up and getting after it. That was the day he earned my everlasting respect.

Jay might not have been perfect but the fact is, he was never placed in a sustainable position to succeed in Chicago. I wish him nothing but good luck and success in his TV role. Dude is young, rich, has a beautiful wife and 2 kids -- I'm sure that at some point, he said, "I don't need this $h!t anymore." Good for him.

EDIT: The game was 10/3/2010. 9 sacks in the first half. A total Charlie Fox

[video][/video]
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
GSH
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:Henry Rollins quote, +1 in my book.
get in the van was an important read for high school rusty.
I have the black flag bars tattooed on my neck
Funkster
MVP

IotaNet wrote: EDIT: The game was 10/3/2010. 9 sacks in the first half. A total Charlie Fox

[video][/video]
Man, that video magnifies how long Cutler held onto the football. A lot of those sacks were a result of him trying to extend an unextendable play.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Ormazd
MVP

Good for Jay. I hope he kills it.
G08
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:
IotaNet wrote: EDIT: The game was 10/3/2010. 9 sacks in the first half. A total Charlie Fox

[video][/video]
Man, that video magnifies how long Cutler held onto the football. A lot of those sacks were a result of him trying to extend an unextendable play.
Nothing to do with the shit protection and countless 7 step drops :lol:

Funkster
MVP

Well, that too, but on a 7, technically the ball should immediately come out.
G08
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:Well, that too, but on a 7, technically the ball should immediately come out.
No argument here.

UOK
Site Admin

@kfishbain
1m
Jay Cutler to @WaddleandSilvy on if he’s actually retired (after some hesitating): “Yeah…we can go ahead and stamp that. It’s permanent."

@MikeGarafolo
14s
Cutler on @ESPN1000: "Zero doubt in my mind there's going to be some regret." But doesn't like the idea of joining a team in Aug/Sept.
G08
Hall of Famer

This interview is making me annoyingly sad/nostalgic.

UOK
Site Admin

@patrickfinley
25s
Jay Cutler on @WaddleandSilvy: Kristin asked if she could post Mexico photo of him nude. Jay: 'whatever'
UOK
Site Admin

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/chicago/play?id=19318044" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's the full interview.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:@patrickfinley
25s
Jay Cutler on @WaddleandSilvy: Kristin asked if she could post Mexico photo of him nude. Jay: 'whatever'
That's exactly how you would expect that conversation to go with Jay.
UOK
Site Admin

Paraphrased Cutler interview I put together. Enjoy.

Retirement: "Yeah, yeah...I think so...(pause)....I think so. I didn't know I was going to be on trial today (laughs). I don't really see anything else happening. I'm happy with where I am in my life and in the future going forward, so we can go ahead and stamp that; it's permanent.

How difficult: "It wasn't easy. It's one of those things you know, and I just felt like the time was right and the situations I was being presented with steered me in this direction. If things had worked out differently in January, February, and March, might be in a different situation, but they didn't. This is where we are, and I feel good about it."

Broadcast Career: "This idea was floated from a couple different directions. Back in January/February, (Kristen's) agents in LA got word of it. When I first heard it, I said there's no way in hell I'm doing it. Literally the last thing I want to do. Thought of not playing football and not doing anything, letting something come naturally and having a fall of not being around football - it was kind of enticing for me. Through March and Free Agency there was nothing appealing. I reached out and talked to people about broadcasting, the schedule, and gave some thought to it. It got better and better in my mind."

Excitement for Broadcast Career: "Lot of unknown. I went to LA and did an hour-ish test with Kevin, but other than that I don't know what all will be involved in this job. That being said, it's exciting. I get to be around football, but you're kind of removed from a lot of this stuff. After the game you can go home, you really don't have to do anything until Thursday or Friday, do tape study and learn about who these teams are. Other than that all the practice and stuff. I'm excited for that, and excited to stay around football and observe it from a bird's eye perspective."

If he was nervous about the audition: "No, I wasn't nervous. Anxious, because I wanted it to go well. We've all watched a lot of football on TV and film but I've never really listened to what they say and what goes into it. How do they get to these thoughts? How does the process work? Went into it with an open mind, watched Gruden, Aikman, and Lynch, and they gave me three teams to study. I was as prepared as I was gonna be, and just kind of went in there and winged it. We did the Christmas Eve Arizona @ Seattle game in our rehearsal."

On Kevin Berkhart & Charles Davis: "I've talked to Kevin quite a bit and we did the test together. I texted Charles last night and this morning. I know him back even from college - nicest guy in the world, team player. Kevin is remarkable. He came into that test and I don't even know if he knew the game we were doing, but he knocked it out of the park. They do all the hard stuff, as a color guy I just have to add some details. John and Jacob, the top guys at Fox, whenever we were finalizing a deal they floated the idea of working with Kevin. It's a good fit for me, learning from two veteran guys. It'll be fun."

On changing his personality in his new career: "I think that's what I'm being hired for. There's a fine line - it's not the Waddle & Silvy Show, we might have a few more viewers (laugh), but I want to have fun with it. They want to all put a good product out there. I'm fresh out of the NFL so hopefully I can provide some insight and we'll have some fun in the booth."

On who he's modeling his broadcast career on: "I struggled with that right now. I know most of them, but I don't know them as broadcasters, because it's never something I felt I'd ever doing or ever would click with me, so I need to watch film on them and see how they do it. I don't know who I'd pattern myself after, but Aikman, Gruden, Madden - there's a lot of good guys to go back and take a look at."

On friends reactions when bringing up retirement/broadcasting:
"There's quite a long period of time where I didn't know if I wanted to do it, but I did float the idea of not playing football to a lot of people. That was a mixed bag. Everybody respects my decision, but there's some who said I have a lot left to give, that a team will call. Others say that it's great, I've had a long career, I'm healthy, walk away. Feel good about it. A mixed bag."

On if there will be regret: "Zero doubt in mind that there will be regret. When things were being finalized, I woke up asking myself if this is what I wanted to do, so this August there's going to be that itch to play, and I know I could still do it, but I just don't feel comfortable in the situation of jumping back in August or September if that situation arrives."

On Kristin adapting to the change: "Huge sigh of relief that I made the decision. She's been super busy, so I've kind of been the nanny, so I'm glad I have the future job."

On the kids: "They're alive. We moved down to Nashville so we're in the middle of a move, took the boys out of school, and they weren't happy about that. It's a huge transition phase for everybody. They'll be fine. Growing, talking, eating, pooping - all the normal kid functions."

On leaving Chicago: "I was sad to leave. Kristin was extremely sad about it. Me and the boys actually drove down, so once the movers were finishing up, Camden said he couldn't believe we're leaving. We had an in depth conversation about us leaving. It was sad. We've done a lot of stuff there. All of our kids were born there, me and Kristin met there, we've got a lot of family events that happened in Chicago, so it was hard."

How is the Cutler from 9 years ago different from the Cutler from today: "Night and day. I say that, but it's a pretty normal transition from a single guy that really doesn't know as much as he thinks he knows to somebody with three kids, is married, has been through the ringer a few times. I couldn't go back and tell that guy really anything, because some things need to be experienced as you grow up. Things happen in your life."

Reflection on great Bears moments:
"There's things I wish we could've done differently, won more games. All the great coaches and teammates I had, and interactions with fans throughout the city. It's kind of funny - I don't know if funny is the right word - but how many people came up to me and wished me well over the last 3 months, thanking me for my time here. All that has been great to see, very encouraging."

On the Bears current management and future: "Lot of respect between me and Bus Cook, Ryan, John, the McCaskeys. I knew back in January there's no way I'm coming back, and I completely understand that. They were ready to move on. We had discussions throughout, everbody open and honest. They had to go through their due diligence, but in the back of my mind I was confident they were going to release me. If I was coming back to the Bears, I love those guys. Really good group of coaches. If I was there, I'd be playing."

On any advice to Mike Glennon: "I got Mike's number but haven't texted him yet. I wanted to reach out to him at some point. He's in a tough spot. He signed on for something completely different than what's going on right now. If he wants that conversation, I'm more than happy to have that with him. It's a football town. I grew up a Cubs fan, love the Cubs, hockey, basketball, but at the end of the day it's a football town. This town wants to win. Chicago wants to win, and it's been awhile. They're kind of getting fed up with what's happening, so it's gonna be tough sledding. Look at that roster and there's some holes that could cause problems throughout the year. Lucky for Mike, there's some really good coaches on the offensive side of the ball there that can make the best of the situation they're put in. Trust those group of guys. It's not going to be easy, but they need to ride the wave and trust the system."

On Dowell Loggains, man of mystery: "He should be a head coach someday. No doubt. I've known Dowell for a long time, and there are people who'll say I'm building him up because he's my friend, but he's an unreal coach. Learned so much over the last few years, been around some great coaches - Fisher, Heimerdinger, Parcells. He knows how to deal with players. He's going to be a good one."

On when Trubisky should start: "I was on a veteran team with the Broncos as a rookie in Denver. Mike was offensive driven, built a little different than the Bears, and we were winning games. Defense was really strong, and offense was assembling pieces. I don't think any of us know where the Bears are until 4-6 games in when we know what they are. If it's going downhill I don't think there will be any reason to play the kid. I know people will be wanting him to play since he was a number two pick, but until you have some pieces around you, it's hard to win games in the NFL. That's the same thing for Mike Glennon - you hired him for his services for a reason, and you want to see what he can do too, so it's a tough situation there right now. If it's going downhill there's no way I'm playing Mitch. For what? So he can take a beating? So he can get off to a rough start? If you look at some of the long-term successes, like a Russell Wilson, they put him in with an unreal defense, they protected him, they moved the pocket. Roethlisberger his first year, 12-15 throws a game, they ran the ball. They protected him. You'd have to go back to a Marino to where they threw him in the fire, was asked to throw 30-40 times a game and win. It's really hard to do as a young quarterback."

On covering his first Bears game in the preseason: "I think it'll be...I don't know...when I picture it in my head, it'll be funny talking to/about some people. Other times it'll be awkward, because I know so much about the organization, the teams, the players....it'll be just one of those things where I'm glad we can knock it out early, instead of having it be week 8. I just want to do it and move on. I told Dowell I'm going to crush every play call. He'd better not make the wrong call, because I'm gonna be all over him."

On being naked on Instagram: "We've got a lot of freedom to be naked here. We've had some rain, so that's kept my clothes on as of late, but I checked the forecast and there's some sun coming, so I look forward to liberating myself and being my true self. Kristin took the picture and that was kind of a surprise. She always asks if she can put me on the world wide web, and I was like 'yeah, whatever.' We were in Tulum, and the beaches there, everybody was naked. More guys naked than girls naked. I haven't frequented enough nude beaches to know what the ratio is. Guys were extremely willing. Good for them."

On if he plans on staying in shape: "I'm gonna stay in shape. Playing quarterback's not the most demanding thing, but we generally don't run around a lot. I don't think my physique or my workout regimen's gonna change, but I do want to maintain a healthy lifestyle. We did shoulder surgery in December, and I could throw right now if I had to. Had concussions in the past, whether that's gonna be a problem down the line, I don't know, but I feel like I have good brain function. Lose my keys every now and then, but that's normal."

On if he'll file retirement papers: "Yeah, but I don't know how that all works. Do I get a prize, or a medal? Just a kick out the door? Can't you sign it and still come back, or is that your death sentence? You're banished forever? What is it? I don't think anyone really chooses to retire from the NFL. It doesn't work like that."

On his goodbye message: "I've been thinking about it for awhile, but kept putting it off. I was on a red-eye back from LA with Kristin, and it was right after the Fox thing. Couldn't sleep on the plane, and I composed it in 20-30 minutes. Sent it to Kristin and she liked it and did a few edits, and away it went."

On who he's thankful for in his NFL career: "Everyone was so important. I didn't say anything about my agent Bus Cook. Lot of coaches in high school and college. Mike Shanahan, Jeremy Bates, Rex Hogan, Josh McCown, Patrick Ramsey, that's a problem. I could ramble off names all day long, I apologize for anyone I did miss. That's why I shouldn't even start it. There's people recently too, and that's the thing about it - if you play long enough, or if you play even one game in the NFL, there's so many people in the NFL that got you there."

On if he's at peace: "I feel good. I need some people to help me open up some boxes and put stuff away around the house, but other than that I'm good."

On what he'd tell the Bears fans: "Thanks for all the time there - 9 years. I think we both wish it would've went differently, but it didn't. I grew up a Bears fan, and I still have a lot of my Bears stuff. As we were packing and taking stuff to Goodwill, there's a lot of Bears stuff I kept. People ask me why I kept it, and I tell them I was a Bears fan as a kid and growing up, I'm not going to not be a Bears just because they released me. I'm happy to go back to being a Bears fan along with all the loyal Chicago fans, because that's where I started."

On coming months: "I've got to start prepping and getting ready for this gig. I want it to go well and I want to do well. I'm looking forward to it, and I'm sure I'll get a few Chicago games."
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
On who he's thankful for in his NFL career: "Everyone was so important. I didn't say anything about my agent Bus Cook. Lot of coaches in high school and college. Mike Shanahan, Jeremy Bates, Rex Hogan, Josh McCown, Patrick Ramsey, that's a problem. I could ramble off names all day long, I apologize for anyone I did miss. That's why I shouldn't even start it.
interviewer: "yeah, you forgot to thank mike tice."

jay:
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

thanks for doing that uok. i love jay.
Urblock
Practice Squad

Jay is a good guy. Bad QB but good guy. Loves his family and loves football.
MoFugger
Head Coach

I was kind of hoping to never see or hear from Cutler again. But I must admit, he is bound to be easier to listen to than some of the others. If you can understand what he is saying.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I can't believe he's retiring.

He's still so young and has a ton of potential.
You have to disregard the last 11 years, because they were someone else's fault.
This was the year he was ready to break through and be a star.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

MoFugger wrote:I was kind of hoping to never see or hear from Cutler again. But I must admit, he is bound to be easier to listen to than some of the others. If you can understand what he is saying.
there is no way he can possibly be as bad as Phil Simms, and Simms was able to stay employed to annoy us for years
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

I just woke up to a bleacher report of Cutler doing the Bears first game of the season. Not sure if this is a good idea or not by NBC. I wouldn't go as far as saying Bear fans hate him, don't think that is the case. More like disappointed. Think most people are vanilla with him and are indifferent. But why would they force him down Bear fans throats as they move down a new road? Does NBC think he will shed some light on the team that fans want to hear? Not sure how to take it.

I still find it ironic that he is now in the booth. The guy that didn't give two shits about the media and sometimes seemed disinterest in the game itself. Maybe it will just show his other side that many of his teammates say they liked (though I sometimes think it was more about false public support of a teammate). In any case. This is interesting to me.
Funkster
MVP

Moriarty wrote:I can't believe he's retiring.

He's still so young and has a ton of potential.
You have to disregard the last 11 years, because they were someone else's fault.
This was the year he was ready to break through and be a star.
This statement has got me scratching my head and snickering at the same time.

The Jay Cutler in that article sounds like a man forced to do something he's really not wanting to do. The man wants to play football, you can hear it in his speech, but he just can't find a starting gig. I hate with a passion this is how it's ending for him. I wish him well and hope he stays the family man he's become. One day you're a NFL starting QB playing in front of thousands of fans and the next you're just an average joe. This type of situation can easily lead to drug and alcohol abuse.