Update: Jay Cutler meeting with CBS, ESPN about broadcast career

The latest Bears news and talk

Moderators: wab, RING4CHI, Pagan

User avatar
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran
Posts: 939
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:44 pm

Re: Update: Cutler retires from NFL; joins Fox on commentar

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:28 pm

Funkster wrote:
Moriarty wrote:I can't believe he's retiring.

He's still so young and has a ton of potential.
You have to disregard the last 11 years, because they were someone else's fault.
This was the year he was ready to break through and be a star.
This statement has got me scratching my head and snickering at the same time.

The Jay Cutler in that article sounds like a man forced to do something he's really not wanting to do. The man wants to play football, you can hear it in his speech, but he just can't find a starting gig. I hate with a passion this is how it's ending for him. I wish him well and hope he stays the family man he's become. One day you're a NFL starting QB playing in front of thousands of fans and the next you're just an average joe. This type of situation can easily lead to drug and alcohol abuse.
Pretty sure his 120 million dollar contract will make his life a little more palpable. Also, he'll still have a gig the "average joe" would die to have. It sucks it had to end the way that it did but he has his family setup for generations, I think he'll manage to be just fine.
Never Die Easy
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 15458
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Update: Cutler retires from NFL; joins Fox on commentar

Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:24 am

DaSuperfan wrote:
Funkster wrote:
Moriarty wrote:I can't believe he's retiring.

He's still so young and has a ton of potential.
You have to disregard the last 11 years, because they were someone else's fault.
This was the year he was ready to break through and be a star.
This statement has got me scratching my head and snickering at the same time.

The Jay Cutler in that article sounds like a man forced to do something he's really not wanting to do. The man wants to play football, you can hear it in his speech, but he just can't find a starting gig. I hate with a passion this is how it's ending for him. I wish him well and hope he stays the family man he's become. One day you're a NFL starting QB playing in front of thousands of fans and the next you're just an average joe. This type of situation can easily lead to drug and alcohol abuse.
Pretty sure his 120 million dollar contract will make his life a little more palpable. Also, he'll still have a gig the "average joe" would die to have. It sucks it had to end the way that it did but he has his family setup for generations, I think he'll manage to be just fine.
I think his net worth is $50 million, he'll be fine.
Image

First 41 starts in NFL (updated weekly):

Drew Brees: 61.2% | 8261 yards | 52 TDs | 37 INTs | 6.60 YPA | 82.2 rating

Mitch Trubisky: 63.4% | 8554 yards | 48 TDs | 29 INTs | 6.7 YPA | 85.8 rating
User avatar
Funkster
MVP
Posts: 1846
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:35 pm

Re: Update: Cutler retires from NFL; joins Fox on commentar

Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:34 am

G08 wrote:
DaSuperfan wrote:
Funkster wrote:
Moriarty wrote:I can't believe he's retiring.

He's still so young and has a ton of potential.
You have to disregard the last 11 years, because they were someone else's fault.
This was the year he was ready to break through and be a star.
This statement has got me scratching my head and snickering at the same time.

The Jay Cutler in that article sounds like a man forced to do something he's really not wanting to do. The man wants to play football, you can hear it in his speech, but he just can't find a starting gig. I hate with a passion this is how it's ending for him. I wish him well and hope he stays the family man he's become. One day you're a NFL starting QB playing in front of thousands of fans and the next you're just an average joe. This type of situation can easily lead to drug and alcohol abuse.
Pretty sure his 120 million dollar contract will make his life a little more palpable. Also, he'll still have a gig the "average joe" would die to have. It sucks it had to end the way that it did but he has his family setup for generations, I think he'll manage to be just fine.
I think his net worth is $50 million, he'll be fine.
It has nothing to do with money. It's one day everyone wants you and you're in the lime light, the face of the franchise, signing autographs and then over night it all stops. I hope he has a good support group and can keep busy with his commentary gig.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
User avatar
Otis Day
Hall of Famer
Location: Armpit of IL.
Posts: 5502
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Re: Update: Cutler retires from NFL; joins Fox on commentar

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:47 pm

Well, I don't think too many people wanted him and that is why he is now a commentator. I get the idea Jay has the personality to not be bothered by not being a football player. His time in Chicago he got so much shit, locally and nationally, I don't think he will miss that. he will probably be picked apart by media people still regarding his new job. The guy is just a lightning rod for some reason and people just seem to love to bash him. I get the impression the guy is very strong mentally and he will be fine. More time to boink his woman!! :-P
User avatar
staleystarch
Assistant Coach
Posts: 506
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: Update: Cutler retires from NFL; joins Fox on commentar

Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:06 pm

Cutler was not the one who mortgaged the Bears future, it was Angelo and then once again Emery. I never thought Cutler was a horrible QB. He was an average NFL starting QB with a cannon for an arm. Listening to Cutler being interviewed on the radio when the broadcasting job was announced he showed me he can string ore than a sentence or two together. He may end up much better broadcaster than he ever was as an NFL QB. I'm looking forward to listening to him during that first game.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 20970
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Update: Jay Cutler meeting with CBS, ESPN about broadcast career

Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:45 pm

https://www.thebiglead.com/amp/posts/ja ... ssion=true

Jay's back in the hunt for a broadcasting gig.
Image

"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day


Read UOK's Summary of the Average Angry Bears Fan
User avatar
Otis Day
Hall of Famer
Location: Armpit of IL.
Posts: 5502
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Re: Update: Jay Cutler meeting with CBS, ESPN about broadcast career

Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:16 pm

My latest guilty pleasure is "Very Cavellari." Cutler is the entire damn show. The fine women are real nice to look at, but the entertainment value is Cutty. My wife started watching just so she could laugh her ass off by what he says and just the looks he gives people on the show.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20290
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Update: Jay Cutler meeting with CBS, ESPN about broadcast career

Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:23 pm

Jay Cutler might be one of my most favorite human beings on the earth.
User avatar
Otis Day
Hall of Famer
Location: Armpit of IL.
Posts: 5502
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Re: Update: Jay Cutler meeting with CBS, ESPN about broadcast career

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:17 pm

I will say he was one of the toughest S.O.B.s to play the QB position. The guy just catches hell for anything he does. You get a different read, sort of, off of his wife's show. I think he could do well analyzing an NFL game. It would be interesting to see him in studio, playing off other hosts. I believe he would give it to you straight.
Umbali
Assistant Coach
Posts: 575
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:32 pm

Re: Update: Jay Cutler meeting with CBS, ESPN about broadcast career

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:31 pm

I think after Romo's success its even more likely he will do it. Romo is also sarcastic and a bit of a shit talker. What if the network told jay...be yourself...be snarky lol

Ive always liked Cutler and I love his attitude. The media just hates someone who doesnt kiss their ass. Watching him on his wife show is a riot!

Would love to see this and hopes he does well.
Via UOK
Ive got a lot of anger to ration out over the next 4-5 months, and I'm sure as hell not going to dump it out recklessly here in freakin' August.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 15458
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Update: Jay Cutler meeting with CBS, ESPN about broadcast career

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:42 pm

I would love this!
Image

First 41 starts in NFL (updated weekly):

Drew Brees: 61.2% | 8261 yards | 52 TDs | 37 INTs | 6.60 YPA | 82.2 rating

Mitch Trubisky: 63.4% | 8554 yards | 48 TDs | 29 INTs | 6.7 YPA | 85.8 rating
The Cooler King
Journeyman
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:07 pm

Re: Update: Jay Cutler meeting with CBS, ESPN about broadcast career

Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:22 pm

Glad to hear there's other Very Cavaleri watchers!

I think Jay would have fit in nice with that Burkhart/Davis booth, but studio work or another analyst gig would be great. Jay could ham it up if he wants to. Or hell just play the straight asshole and be hilarious (unintentionally maybe)
An ode to Bears fandom:
It has become the image I fix in my mind when I try something, and fail. Often, I fail miserably; Steve McQueen, in “The Great Escape,” reminds me that I’m in good company.
Credit
Fka "BillGeorge61"
Drone7
Journeyman
Posts: 225
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:44 pm

Re: Update: Jay Cutler meeting with CBS, ESPN about broadcast career

Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:56 pm

Wasn't the smartest QB on the field, but he knows a lot about the game when not under a pass rush. Ex-QBs, linebackers and coaches tend to become the best analysts.

Ascerbic, dry sense of humor I have always enjoyed, but that might really aggravate many listeners. Bland Mr. Nice Guy Collingsworth he's not.

Surprised to hear he still wants to play considering his concussion history and apparently cushy life outside of football. Maybe he's not diggin' listening to his wife that often.
User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2382
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Re: Update: Jay Cutler meeting with CBS, ESPN about broadcast career

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:15 pm

Drone7 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:56 pm
Wasn't the smartest QB on the field, but he knows a lot about the game when not under a pass rush. Ex-QBs, linebackers and coaches tend to become the best analysts.

Ascerbic, dry sense of humor I have always enjoyed, but that might really aggravate many listeners. Bland Mr. Nice Guy Collingsworth he's not.

Surprised to hear he still wants to play considering his concussion history and apparently cushy life outside of football. Maybe he's not diggin' listening to his wife that often.
Most pros don't walk away willingly. They either suck or get no more calls.
User avatar
Richie
MVP
Posts: 1495
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:37 pm

Re: Update: Jay Cutler meeting with CBS, ESPN about broadcast career

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:39 am

UOK wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:45 pm
https://www.thebiglead.com/amp/posts/ja ... ssion=true

Jay's back in the hunt for a broadcasting gig.
On his PFT interview with Big Cat he basically told them that something is coming down the pipeline soon.

Sounds like he's going to be on the air next year. Looking forward to it. Very smart guy overall and extremely knowledgeable about the game. Just didn't always see things right out there.

Shit... guy gets to walk out on FOX, go play for the Dolphins for 10 mil, gets a reality show and still gets to come back to the broadcasting profession. The guy is rolling. lol
Year 3 Starting (updated yearly)

Brees (11-4): 65.5% (7th) 7.9 Y/A (7th) 27 TD (7th) 6.8 TD% (4th) 7 INT 1.8 INT% (3rd) 104 Rating (3rd)

Trubisky (8-7): 63.2% (18th) 6.1 Y/A (32nd) 17 TD (27th) 3.3 TD% (30th) 10 INT 1.9 INT% (15th) 83 Rating (28th)
User avatar
Kylo Bearen
Rookie
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:50 pm

Re: Update: Jay Cutler meeting with CBS, ESPN about broadcast career

Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:56 am

Glad to hear things are going well for Jay. Ive always liked him.
Image
User avatar
Ormazd
MVP
Location: Peoples Republic of Virginia
Posts: 1296
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:08 pm

Re: Update: Jay Cutler meeting with CBS, ESPN about broadcast career

Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:47 am

I have a feeling Jay would be very good on TV. When Romo started he was great, but I fear he had a lobotomy last season.
Image
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 20290
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Update: Jay Cutler meeting with CBS, ESPN about broadcast career

Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:22 am

Ormazd wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:47 am
When Romo started he was great, but I fear he had a lobotomy last season.
The rumor was that he was making Jim Nantz look stupid by correcting him all the time, and that producers asked him to stop predicting (correctly) the plays before they happened because it was killing the excitement.
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 20970
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Update: Jay Cutler meeting with CBS, ESPN about broadcast career

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:25 pm

wab wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:22 am
Ormazd wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:47 am
When Romo started he was great, but I fear he had a lobotomy last season.
The rumor was that he was making Jim Nantz look stupid by correcting him all the time, and that producers asked him to stop predicting (correctly) the plays before they happened because it was killing the excitement.
I hope he goes to ESPN and they let him do his thing. That's some amateur hour bullshit.
Image

"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day


Read UOK's Summary of the Average Angry Bears Fan
User avatar
RustyTrubisky
Head Coach
Location: Maine!
Posts: 4470
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:19 am

Re: Update: Jay Cutler meeting with CBS, ESPN about broadcast career

Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:53 pm

UOK wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:25 pm
wab wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:22 am

The rumor was that he was making Jim Nantz look stupid by correcting him all the time, and that producers asked him to stop predicting (correctly) the plays before they happened because it was killing the excitement.
I hope he goes to ESPN and they let him do his thing. That's some amateur hour bullshit.
Yeah but I feel 100% confident that if they came to Jay and said "Jay, tone it down a bit, you're making Jim Nantz look stupid" he'd reply back with "why do you have me sharing a booth with an idiot?"

Jay's reign shall be both short and glorious.
User avatar
Richie
MVP
Posts: 1495
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:37 pm

Re: Update: Jay Cutler meeting with CBS, ESPN about broadcast career

Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:51 am

RustyTrubisky wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:53 pm
UOK wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:25 pm


I hope he goes to ESPN and they let him do his thing. That's some amateur hour bullshit.
Yeah but I feel 100% confident that if they came to Jay and said "Jay, tone it down a bit, you're making Jim Nantz look stupid" he'd reply back with "why do you have me sharing a booth with an idiot?"

Jay's reign shall be both short and glorious.
Jay has a dry wit and bit of arrogance about him. But when you listen to him interviewed - it's pretty clear that he is capable of communicating in a professional/respectful manner. I think he'll do good.
Year 3 Starting (updated yearly)

Brees (11-4): 65.5% (7th) 7.9 Y/A (7th) 27 TD (7th) 6.8 TD% (4th) 7 INT 1.8 INT% (3rd) 104 Rating (3rd)

Trubisky (8-7): 63.2% (18th) 6.1 Y/A (32nd) 17 TD (27th) 3.3 TD% (30th) 10 INT 1.9 INT% (15th) 83 Rating (28th)
The Cooler King
Journeyman
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:07 pm

Re: Update: Jay Cutler meeting with CBS, ESPN about broadcast career

Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:38 am

Richie wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:51 am
RustyTrubisky wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:53 pm


Yeah but I feel 100% confident that if they came to Jay and said "Jay, tone it down a bit, you're making Jim Nantz look stupid" he'd reply back with "why do you have me sharing a booth with an idiot?"

Jay's reign shall be both short and glorious.
Jay has a dry wit and bit of arrogance about him. But when you listen to him interviewed - it's pretty clear that he is capable of communicating in a professional/respectful manner. I think he'll do good.
He's capable of it, but he doesn't seem to be instinctually that way. I could see him doing it for a few years then walking away once he gets tired of his bosses telling him he has to ham it up more.
An ode to Bears fandom:
It has become the image I fix in my mind when I try something, and fail. Often, I fail miserably; Steve McQueen, in “The Great Escape,” reminds me that I’m in good company.
Credit
Fka "BillGeorge61"
User avatar
Ormazd
MVP
Location: Peoples Republic of Virginia
Posts: 1296
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:08 pm

Re: Update: Jay Cutler meeting with CBS, ESPN about broadcast career

Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:25 am

Otis Day wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:16 pm
My latest guilty pleasure is "Very Cavellari." Cutler is the entire damn show. The fine women are real nice to look at, but the entertainment value is Cutty. My wife started watching just so she could laugh her ass off by what he says and just the looks he gives people on the show.
I watched a couple episodes after reading this, and I feel much dumber now. I do enjoy Jay's appearances, but the cat fight and break up drama were ugh.
Image
User avatar
Otis Day
Hall of Famer
Location: Armpit of IL.
Posts: 5502
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Re: Update: Jay Cutler meeting with CBS, ESPN about broadcast career

Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:49 pm

That is why you watch on demand and just FF thru it all until it gets to Cutty.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 15458
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Update: Jay Cutler meeting with CBS, ESPN about broadcast career

Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:55 am

Or just go on YouTube and they'll edit out any scene that doesn't have to do with Cutty :lol:
Image

First 41 starts in NFL (updated weekly):

Drew Brees: 61.2% | 8261 yards | 52 TDs | 37 INTs | 6.60 YPA | 82.2 rating

Mitch Trubisky: 63.4% | 8554 yards | 48 TDs | 29 INTs | 6.7 YPA | 85.8 rating

Return to “Halas Hall”