Jon Gruden on coaching speculation

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Jon Gruden on coaching speculation: 'Never say never to nothing'
ESPN broadcaster Jon Gruden said Wednesday morning that he loves his current role as a color commentator for the network's Monday Night Football broadcasts and doesn't plan on leaving.

"But as you know in life," he added, "you never say never to nothing."

As the coaching rumor mill heats up, Gruden joined ESPN Radio's Mike & Mike to discuss, among other things, his potential return to coaching. Co-host Mike Golic asked Gruden specifically about his name being linked to the head coaching job at Tennessee, which fired Butch Jones earlier this week.

"Well you know what Mike, I haven't talked to anybody," Gruden said. "All I really have in my life is my family and football. That's about it. I'm real sensitive to the coaches that are out there coaching, so I don't speculate. I just love football.

"I'm trying to hang on to the job I have. I'm very fortunate to be with the people I'm with. I don't know what's going to happen in the future, I just know this: I'm going to continue to give my best effort to the game, stay prepared."
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

I think he's pretty freaking overrated. Not sure how much he's added to his offense (sounds like a ton if you watch his pre-draft QB interviews) but I would probably pass on him.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

I'm not a big Gruden fan personally. I'd much rather go younger offensive minded coach then a guy who last coaches was 5+ years ago.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Gruden sure does do a good job coaching up those tires :-P

gotta give the guy credit, he has marketed himself into a media celebrity ... commercials, endorsements, his own shows .. he isn't doing too bad for himself ... hard to imagine he really wants to move off easy street and get back into the NFL
George Carlin
GSH
MVP

Anybody who puts as much focus on being "fired up" about the game as Gruden would be bringing some sorely lacking passion to the chicago bears - since lovie left its never felt like the whole team actually cares a lot, give or take a few stand out players like hicks etc.
BR0D1E86
MVP

GSH wrote:Anybody who puts as much focus on being "fired up" about the game as Gruden would be bringing some sorely lacking passion to the chicago bears - since lovie left its never felt like the whole team actually cares a lot, give or take a few stand out players like hicks etc.
I don't know, this team generally seems to play hard for Fox. Hey just look unprepared. Like they all showed up Sunday morning and decided to try playing a football game against a professional NFL team that actually game planned against them. Which, truthfully, is a hallmark of John Fox coached teams.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote:I don't know, this team generally seems to play hard for Fox. Hey just look unprepared. Like they all showed up Sunday morning and decided to try playing a football game against a professional NFL team that actually game planned against them. Which, truthfully, is a hallmark of John Fox coached teams.

sounds right on the money to me

they certainly appeared unprepared against Goon Bay, and that was with an extra week to get their act together
George Carlin