UPDATE: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

The Bears are going into the bye week on a slightly depressing note. The offense continues to struggle while it seems more and more likely John Fox and Dowell Loggains have no idea how to develop a rookie.The clock may be ticking for Coach Fox and if you’re Dowell Loggains, the clock has already stopped. Loggains may have deserved one more year but the problem really consisted in 2016, when the Loggains ran offense wasn’t able to get over 20 points in 11 appearances. Loggains had the benefit of the doubt with the quarterback carousel (Jay Cutler, Brian Hoyer and Matt Barkley) but even still the offense was only able to get over 20 in five games and never got over 30 once. Fox has had 3 years to make something happen and even though the defense is sharp the offense has been lacking since Gase left. So what’s next for the Bears? And if it’s a new coach could it be Josh McDaniels?

Josh McDaniels with Broncos

I know, McDaniels has already had his shot at being a head coach but if you look at the scenario, it wasn’t very bright. In McDaniels’ first year he lost Cutler and lost the locker room quickly after. McDaniels also came in after the Broncos fired player favorite Mike Shanahan. He also never really had anyone to develop other than Kyle Orton. McDaniels’ problems didn’t end there, After the 2009 season Brandon Marshall was the next to go. McDaniels wasn’t given the benefit of the doubt and was fired during his 2nd season.

The Tom Brady Stats Stacker

McDaniels has been great as the offensive coordinator in New England, but has also had one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game in Tom Brady. In 2007 the Patriots broke and NFL record for touchdowns with 75 (67 on offense) and although the case for Tom Brady is completely valid other things have to be considered.

Jimmy Garoppolo’s Play

Filling in for a suspended Tom Brady, Garoppolo played great, posting a 68.3 completion percentage while also having an 86.0 QBR and 113.3 passer rating. He did that with McDaniels calling the shots. Garoppolo is a prime example as to why the Bears should at least consider Josh McDaniels.

McDaniels and Trubisky

McDaniels has had the opportunity to coach and be around one of the best quarterbacks in the league. This would help McDaniels get the best out of Trubisky. McDaniels has also been around Bill Belichick and has aged since his days in Denver. If McDaniels chooses to leave New England, the Bears need to at least make the call.

End Game

If McDaniels joins the Bears, he’ll be starting from scratch, but it’ll be with a quarterback who has a bright future and, barring any drastic changes, an above average defense. If McDaniels can bring in a great defensive coordinator and a competent special teams coordinator the Bears will be fine.

Whatever happens Bears fans are fed up with bad records and slow starts. We want a winner and Josh McDaniels has been around two. If anything is for sure it’s John Fox’s inability to evaluate and develop anything other than defense. The fans have had enough, we deserve better Ryan Pace.
Last edited by G08 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
G08
Hall of Famer

This is my move. Dude flamed out magnificently in Denver, but that was 7 years ago. Since then, he's been hip-to-hip with Tom Brady (who raves about McDaniels) and Bill Belichick and picked up 2 more Super Bowl rings.

Yes, there has been talk that he wants to have a say in his GM, but Ryan Pace is nothing if not a willing partner with his head coach. I don't think that should be an issue and my hope is that they work well together.

With the amount of turnover this offense is about to face (especially at WR) now is the time to make the move. I'm not sure who else comes with a better documented resume and I really don't see Trubisky butting heads with McDaniels. If the QB gets on board early, and he's the team leader he is being billed as, then the rest of the roster will fall in line.

Fuck it, bring in the wunderkid.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Right there with ya. His resume is far and above anyone else's out there. He is the top guy out there. A guy you want around your young QB. The shit he does matchup wise is far beyond what this team has seen. He attacks D weaknesses and he uses his strengths against your weakness. I would be putting feelers out now.

I think I will be disappointed if he isn't the focus.
Nanky
Journeyman

Do you guys see McDaniels calling his own offensive plays when he's the head coach?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:This is my move. Dude flamed out magnificently in Denver, but that was 7 years ago. Since then, he's been hip-to-hip with Tom Brady (who raves about McDaniels) and Bill Belichick and picked up 2 more Super Bowl rings.
one would hope he learned from his flame out like Belichick did with his Cleveland flame out

and I'm thinking being connected to Brady has allowed him to pad his resume quite comfortably, so any talk of him being some offensive deity needs to be tempered by the fact he has Brady to implement his offense

G08 wrote:Yes, there has been talk that he wants to have a say in his GM, but Ryan Pace is nothing if not a willing partner with his head coach. I don't think that should be an issue and my hope is that they work well together.
correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the pecking order is owner, GM, coach ... so a coach wanting to select his own GM is arrogant douchey-ness that simply won't happen

G08 wrote:With the amount of turnover this offense is about to face (especially at WR) now is the time to make the move. I'm not sure who else comes with a better documented resume and I really don't see Trubisky butting heads with McDaniels. If the QB gets on board early, and he's the team leader he is being billed as, then the rest of the roster will fall in line.
well, if McDaniels comes to town and immediately wants to trade Trubisky as he did his Denver starter I doubt Mitchell will be a pouting bitch about it (hell, he may even be hoping that happens given the shit he is going through at the moment)

G08 wrote:Fuck it, bring in the wunderkid.
I'm not 100% all in as you are, but do think he'd at least bring an up to date concept of how to run a team with him rather than the outdated model Fox is still using
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Brady raves about him and Brady/Belichick have never won a Super Bowl without Josh McDaniels in that building (take that for whatever it's worth).

Look at what he did with Garoppolo and Brissett last season... Trubisky is a more athletic Garoppolo, tie him and McDaniels at the hip and hope for the best.

Who else is out there? This guy?

We did this with Trestman already. Give me an offensive mind with some fucking red-ass to him (think Sean Payton, Mike McCarthy, etc).

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I still think I am leaning toward the KC OC.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

That KC O is flaming out bad right now, whoever is running it.

Talking of McDaniels reaping the benefits of Brady, I believe McDaniels is exploiting Brady's strengths. I believe he can exploit Trubisky's strengths as well. Hell, Trub and Brady may become buds and Trubs can bounce shit off the GOAT.

I don't see how you can ignore McDaniels' resume.
Hematite
Player of the Month

Otis Day wrote:That KC O is flaming out bad right now, whoever is running it.

Talking of McDaniels reaping the benefits of Brady, I believe McDaniels is exploiting Brady's strengths. I believe he can exploit Trubisky's strengths as well. Hell, Trub and Brady may become buds and Trubs can bounce shit off the GOAT.

I like it!
Umbali
MVP

I would not be upset with McDaniels or Reich.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

I don’t know...something about that first paragraph sticks in my claw...and how long before we hear he was only great cause of Brady..the same way we hear it about Fox getting to a Super Bowl cause of Manning.

First paragraph could easily read

Josh McDaniels with Bears

I know, McDaniels has already had his shot at being a head coach but if you look at the scenario, it wasn’t very bright. In McDaniels’ first year he lost (Insert any Chicago bear going down injured cause that’s what we do and by damn we do it well) and lost the locker room quickly after. McDaniels also came in after the Bears fired player favorite John Fox. He also never really had anyone to develop other than Mitchell Biscuits . McDaniels’ problems didn’t end there, After the 2018 season Cameron Meredith after a monster year was the next to go. McDaniels wasn’t given the benefit of the doubt and was fired during his 2nd season.

Ok some are stretched but Fox is a player favourite and a McDaniels has already proven he can’t win a locker room round to his style of thinking

Colour me OUT
Have a great day
mshu7
Pro Bowler

This. Exactly!
-Shu
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I also don't like Reid's OC's as they don't call plays typically. Always skeptical of getting credit for an offense you didn't call.

Also, they stink right now too.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Bearfanuk wrote:.

Ok some are stretched but Fox is a player favourite and a McDaniels has already proven he can’t win a locker room round to his style of thinking

Colour me OUT
He didn’t in Denver, that’s for sure. The question is whether or not he learned from it. A lot of coaches flame out of their first job and are a lot better the second time around. He’s certainly got the coaching chops if he’s reined in the mistakes of his first job.
Adipost
MVP

John Fox comes in to clean up McDaniels mess and now McDaniels comes in to fix Fox’s mess. It’s the circle of life.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Adipost wrote:John Fox comes in to clean up McDaniels mess and now McDaniels comes in to fix Fox’s mess. It’s the circle of life.
That would be weirdly ironic
G08
Hall of Famer

I understand the knock on other Belichick assistants not finding similar success elsewhere, but how many of them have been there for all 5 Super Bowls / 14 years?

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:I understand the knock on other Belichick assistants not finding similar success elsewhere, but how many of them have been there for all 5 Super Bowls / 14 years?
I'd argue that he's stayed because Belichick's assistants not finding similar success elsewhere.

Is it also possible that he's maybe the guy who will take over for Bill at some point?
G08
Hall of Famer

It's possible for sure... but he took interviews last season so I think he's interested if the right opportunity comes along. I also think for a period of time the majority of the league wanted nothing to do with him after the Denver Debacle.

I just don't know who else worth a shit is out there that can get the best out of Trubisky. Pace bet his future on this kid so I would have to think/hope he has someone in mind.

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:I just don't know who else worth a shit is out there that can get the best out of Trubisky.
I wouldn't say that. I mean look at guys like McVay and Pederson and what they are doing with their QBs. McDaniels was available when those two guys were hired.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

bearsfaninaz wrote:
Adipost wrote:John Fox comes in to clean up McDaniels mess and now McDaniels comes in to fix Fox’s mess. It’s the circle of life.
That would be weirdly ironic

:rofl:
George Carlin
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

I hear you, but on that basis Trestman should be reconsidered ...I mean everyone flames out in their first job right?

The Patriots are run completely differently to the Bears. They are a no nonsense, buy in or pack your bags orginsation, Billy runs a tight ship. So it really shouldn’t be difficult for an OC to lead players who realise they are in the best franchise and has been over the last 10 years and that they should respect the opportunity and work their tails off.

If you can’t get players to buy into a 10 year old scheme in addition to the above then you wouldnt even be coaching flag football. That really can’t be overlooked imo.

However, coming into a Bears team whose currently known for losing more then winning, were the same privileges won’t be felt and where the buck will stop with him is completely different especially when the locker room lacks leaders already and the ones we currently have are pro fox...it’s a recipe for Trestman 2.0
Have a great day
Wounded Bear
MVP

We have to remember that many coaches will refuse to coach in Chicago due to our fakakta front office. Remember Kubiak saying he's happy as a OC in Baltimore and the next thing we know he's being name HC in Denver? I'm just sayin'...before we get our hopes up.

With that said, I'm a big fan of McDaniels.

Carry on.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote:We have to remember that many coaches will refuse to coach in Chicago due to our fakakta front office. Remember Kubiak saying he's happy as a OC in Baltimore and the next thing we know he's being name HC in Denver? I'm just sayin'...before we get our hopes up..
the biggest "fuck you" given in this regard was by Bill Parcells, who when asked if he would consider the Bears for his next coaching gig, just laughed and walked away

McDaniels could very well have the same mindset even though he is not as highly regarded as Parcells was then
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
Wounded Bear wrote:We have to remember that many coaches will refuse to coach in Chicago due to our fakakta front office. Remember Kubiak saying he's happy as a OC in Baltimore and the next thing we know he's being name HC in Denver? I'm just sayin'...before we get our hopes up..
the biggest "fuck you" given in this regard was by Bill Parcells, who when asked if he would consider the Bears for his next coaching gig, just laughed and walked away

McDaniels could very well have the same mindset even though he is not as highly regarded as Parcells was then
Ted fucking Phillips ranks above Ryan Pace, that's all we need to know about how stupid this organization is.

Adipost
MVP

Here is a fantastic article on how a decent WR and offensive play caller impacts a QB...

presnapreads.com/2017/11/16/jared-goff-sean-mcvay-and-touchdown-to-interception-ratios/
G08
Hall of Famer

Good stuff Adi

G08
Hall of Famer

Hub Arkush wrote:New England Patriots offensive coordinator, Josh McDaniels – Year in and year out, the Patriots are one of the top offenses in the NFL, and a great deal of the credit goes to Tom Brady and Bill Belichick, but McDaniels oversees the offense, designs the game plans and calls the plays, many of which Brady doesn’t change.

Yes, McDaniels got a shot in Denver in 2009 at the age of 34 and was out in two years, but Belichick got his first break in Cleveland at 39 and failed there before becoming arguably the greatest NFL coach ever.

Word around the league is McDaniels has grown quite a bit and is now ready.

Richie
MVP

Bearfanuk wrote:I hear you, but on that basis Trestman should be reconsidered ...I mean everyone flames out in their first job right?

The Patriots are run completely differently to the Bears. They are a no nonsense, buy in or pack your bags orginsation, Billy runs a tight ship. So it really shouldn’t be difficult for an OC to lead players who realise they are in the best franchise and has been over the last 10 years and that they should respect the opportunity and work their tails off.

If you can’t get players to buy into a 10 year old scheme in addition to the above then you wouldnt even be coaching flag football. That really can’t be overlooked imo.

However, coming into a Bears team whose currently known for losing more then winning, were the same privileges won’t be felt and where the buck will stop with him is completely different especially when the locker room lacks leaders already and the ones we currently have are pro fox...it’s a recipe for Trestman 2.0
Comparing Trestman, who has failed at multiple stops in the NFL, to McDaniels. Is legitimately hilarious. Holy hell.
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

Richie wrote:
Bearfanuk wrote:I hear you, but on that basis Trestman should be reconsidered ...I mean everyone flames out in their first job right?

Comparing Trestman, who has failed at multiple stops in the NFL, to McDaniels. Is legitimately hilarious. Holy hell.

I was compering them on their ability to lead men and manage the whole show, which is very different to simple being a coordinator! Based on the head coaching evidence available, which is what I compared them on, they are similar. They both have track records of not being able to control the asylum when there the head prison guard.

We seem to be forgetting because it doesn’t suit the current narrative that he is our saviour that he failed as a head coach when away from the the greatest player and game manager of all time at QB but also the greatest head coach of all time leading the show. How much is him and how much is the factors around him... ?

Destiny’s child was a huge success and Beyoncé was a stand out star ... meanwhile the remaining members had mild success off the back of that but ultimately failed ...you see not everyone is cut out to be the megastar, the leader, the one setting the tone.. Get my point now?
Have a great day