UPDATE: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The Hoge and Jahns Black Monday podcast is a really good listen if you haven't heard it. It's from Tuesday, so it's a little behind, but not badly so.

Hoge makes a passionate and compelling argument in his debate with Jahns around 27:00 about whether George and Ted should be involved with the first series of interviews. I know we've discussed George and Ted's involvement in stuff. But their debate is really worth listening and Hoge moved the needle for me with his points. I like hearing media debates and wish we got more of that on the radio.

The discussion near the end about the captains for the first game in 2017 was pretty damning as well. They followed that up with... Who was the worst FA signing in 2017, Glennon, Cooper or Wheaton? The answer seems obvious... But ouch.

Anyhow, the whole thing is worth the time. :thumbsup:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Otis Day wrote:
Adipost wrote:
britbear wrote:Just woke up to see the TEN-KC score. I will admit that KC laying an egg in the 2nd half has not done anything to promote Nagy in my mind. Luckily it's not down to me.
But...you have to admit that this is not going to look good in the interview today. Prospective employers are going to want to see how you cope in big game situations when the chips are down. And the KC offense did not cope. One big player out of the game and the offense was reduced to zero. Not good.
Meh. Between halftime and the first drive of the 3rd, the offense sat for over an hour. Tons of key drops and the Kelce injury. Defense just couldn’t get off the field, Ten was 7 for 7 on third down. Here is why KC blew the game:

https://streamable.com/93xj5

Nah, just an Andy Reid coached team in the playoffs. They always seem to go in a shell somehow. The Chiefs were Reided.
To be fair to Reid, the Mariotta sack fumble that was waived off was a huge factor. If that’s forward progress under the NFL rule book, it’s literally impossible to break tackles in the NFL. That’s one of the worst calls I’ve ever seen.

That prevented a huge momentum swing.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I know the Andy Reid coaching tree is THE coaching tree in the nfl, but it's still kind of crazy when you see this written out:

the 2001 Eagles Coaching Staff:
Andy Reid (HC)
Brad Childress (QB)
Pat Shurmur (TE)
Jim Johnson (DC)
Ron Rivera (LB)
Steve Spagnuolo (DB)
Leslie Frazier (DB)
Sean McDermott (ASST.)
John Harbaugh (ST)
Dave Toub (ST)
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

mshu7 wrote:

Eagles QB coach John DeFilippo has completed his interview with the Chicago Bears. Word is he’d be willing to retain Vic Fangio as DC, maintaining stability on Bears defensive side of the ball. @gmfb @NFLonFOX

Who was told this? Is there proof?

Fangio has got to want to be here. I believe he will shop his services around. He may not be comfortable with any of the candidates that may be hired. I doubt he will jump at an offer until he hears others after Tues.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

mshu7 wrote:Just to reiterate....
mshu7 wrote:

Eagles QB coach John DeFilippo has completed his interview with the Chicago Bears. Word is he’d be willing to retain Vic Fangio as DC, maintaining stability on Bears defensive side of the ball. @gmfb @NFLonFOX
mshu7 wrote:Per @aaronlemingnfl

*IF* the #Bears retain DC Vic Fangio, you can thank the HC interview on Wednesday for that.

Was told not only did the interview go well but it allowed Pace & Fangio to get a better long-term feel for each other, which could help convince Fangio to stay.

Have been told that if John DeFilippo gets an HC job this year, he'll look to take WRC Mike Groh (former Bears WRC)& assistant DL coach Phillip Daniels (former Bears player) from Philly with him.

Also keep an eye on Todd Downing as Flip's QB coach. #Bears

I don't think it's a given that DeFilippo is the #Bears guy but I can tell you that everyone I've spoken to that I trust said he was the "front runner" heading into the hiring process.

I know a lot of people look at Downing's failed OC job in 2017 as a reason not to have him as Flip's potential QB coach but remember, he was voted best QB coach by PFF in 2016 & was highly thought of. #Bears

Haven't got a straight answer who would be DeFlippo's OC but 2 names continue to float around as possibilities including Mike Groh (that or WRs coach) & Alex Van Pelt.
Worth keeping in mind that regardless of who the OC would be, Flip would call plays from what I've heard. #Bears

botfly10
Player of the Month

lol Gabriel

I like the guy, but have you seen him get in fights with trolls in the comment sections of his articles? Its fucking hilarious how mad he gets.
IotaNet
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote: Image
Not to kick off a flame war but what is it about Leming that engenders so much disdain from so many people?
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I don't believe much of what is put out there, but Gabriel would be someone I would lean toward to be believable. I will just be happy when it is over.

It is kind of turning into a Cutler v Orton situation.

Lets just hope the right guy is hired and he can turn out to be a winner. That is all I want at this point, the Bears to be a consistent winner.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

freaking nailbiter

how about Ted an George wake up with a heavyweight dose of the flu that lays them both out flat for a few days so Pace can get things wrapped up right away..
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote:I don't believe much of what is put out there, but Gabriel would be someone I would lean toward to be believable. I will just be happy when it is over.

Lets just hope the right guy is hired and he can turn out to be a winner. That is all I want at this point, the Bears to be a consistent winner.

Not to derail this thread yet again - but Gabriel has a bigger axe to grind then anyone. Spend five minutes reading his tweets and you’ll see has zero capability of separating his personal feelings from any sort of objective analysis.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
wab
Mod

Hiphopopotamos wrote:
Otis Day wrote:I don't believe much of what is put out there, but Gabriel would be someone I would lean toward to be believable. I will just be happy when it is over.

Not to derail this thread yet again - but Gabriel has a bigger axe to grind then anyone. Spend five minutes reading his tweets and you’ll see has zero capability of separating his personal feelings from any sort of objective analysis.
Yeah. He embodies “salty former employee” more than anyone out there.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Otis Day wrote:
Adipost wrote:
britbear wrote:Just woke up to see the TEN-KC score. I will admit that KC laying an egg in the 2nd half has not done anything to promote Nagy in my mind. Luckily it's not down to me.
But...you have to admit that this is not going to look good in the interview today. Prospective employers are going to want to see how you cope in big game situations when the chips are down. And the KC offense did not cope. One big player out of the game and the offense was reduced to zero. Not good.
Meh. Between halftime and the first drive of the 3rd, the offense sat for over an hour. Tons of key drops and the Kelce injury. Defense just couldn’t get off the field, Ten was 7 for 7 on third down. Here is why KC blew the game:

https://streamable.com/93xj5

Nah, just an Andy Reid coached team in the playoffs. They always seem to go in a shell somehow. The Chiefs were Reided.
botfly10
Player of the Month

IotaNet wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote: Image
Not to kick off a flame war but what is it about Leming that engenders so much disdain from so many people?
Lemming spams every reasonable inference he comes up with and lets people believe its all coming from sources, whether he says so or not.

Then he takes credit for anything that comes true and ignores all the shit he spews that doesn't stick.

The guy might really have some sources that really give him legit insider info. But its all lost in the spam.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

I swear Gabriel said a week ago that Shurmur wasn’t a good candidate because he’d have a hard time leading a locker room.

mshu7
Pro Bowler

GG is contradicting what everyone else in the media is saying. This coaching hire will reveal who's full of ahit. I'm pretty sure GG said the Bears were drafting Watson leading up to the draft. Im pretty sure who it is that's full of it these days.

In general, I will say that it looks like the "old regime" media is getting pissed that bloggers and other leseer-known folks are getting more Intel than they are. And that same media (Tribune) is now trashing Pace because of it.
Last edited by mshu7 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Shu
Funkster
MVP

Have any of you heard any leaks of who McDaniels staff would potentially be? Would he also be willing to work with Fangio?
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
mshu7
Pro Bowler

mshu7 wrote:GG is contradicting what everyone else in the media is saying. This coaching hire will reveal who's full of ahit. I'm pretty sure GG said the Bears were drafting Watson leading up to the draft. Im pretty sure who it is that's full of it these days.

In general, I will say that it looks like the "old regime" media is getting pissed that bloggers and other leseer-known folks are getting more Intel than they are. And that same media (Tribune) is now trashing Pace because of it.
Here's an example of the butt-hurt media in Chicago trashing Pace:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Shu
IotaNet
MVP

mshu7 wrote: ... In general, I will say that it looks like the "old regime" media is getting pissed that bloggers and other leseer-known folks are getting more Intel than they are ..
I’m not a Chicago media expert but that take certainty resonates. I remember a few years ago during the Pace / Fox hires and people on the interwebs were shouting in all caps, “LEMMING HAS NO SOURCES!!!”

I was like, really?
Last edited by IotaNet on Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote:
mshu7 wrote: ... In general, I will say that it looks like the "old regime" media is getting pissed that bloggers and other leseer-known folks are getting more Intel than they are ..
I’m mot a Chicago media expert but that take certainty resonates. I remember a few years ago during the Pace / Fox hires and people on the interwebs were shouting in all caps, “LEMMING HAS NO SOURCES!!!”

I was like, really?
lemming's got a bit of a history, and was a poster on another board. he wrote his own narrative by being a bit of an annoying doofus, so there's bias. but again, he throws so much shit at the wall, saying "he's right sometimes" is exactly why old-guard media who still have to adhere to some journalistic standards hate him.
Adipost
MVP

botfly10 wrote:lol Gabriel

I like the guy, but have you seen him get in fights with trolls in the comment sections of his articles? Its fucking hilarious how mad he gets.
LOL. He just ripped into LaCanfora, shit is hilarious.

This is fucking savage...

UOK
Site Admin

Gabriel is a codger who shits on everyone that’s not him. Not a fan.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

UOK wrote:Gabriel is a codger who shits on everyone that’s not him. Not a fan.
I hate when people trot him out with his "insider" info like it should be gold because he USED to be a scout for the Bears... I understand he probably still has ears inside the building but he hasn't been bulletproof with his info in anyway and he does really sound like a bitter former employee from time to time...
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I agree with what many are saying here. Not such a big fan. I'll listen to him. But I do that with a certain amount of skepticism.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

We should do that with any "insider."
UOK
Site Admin

Leming is alright, but he at least knew something when the Fox hiring was taking place. He broke the story before anyone else.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

From earlier today:

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

I’d rather be a year early than a year late.

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Moon Mullin posted an article today that posited that the reason Phillips/George are in this first round of interviews is because the Bears don’t have time to do preliminary interviews and then bring candidates back for a second round to meet the bosses. They want to be as efficient as possible and make a decision as quickly as the search will allow them to.

BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Hiphopopotamos wrote:I’d rather be a year early than a year late.
This right here...