UPDATE: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

YOGABBA
Rookie

I have no idea why some of you (maybe it's just one of you) are so enamored with McDaniels.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Gotta confess I could dislike McDaniels a lot (more) without trying very hard.

But when I think about it I would rather see the fucker go to GB when McCarthy finally explodes. :-P
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

YOGABBA wrote:I have no idea why some of you (maybe it's just one of you) are so enamored with McDaniels.
Really? Wow is all I can say about your response. Pretty obvious really.
G08
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:
YOGABBA wrote:I have no idea why some of you (maybe it's just one of you) are so enamored with McDaniels.
Really? Wow is all I can say about your response. Pretty obvious really.
I mean... read what people wrote, right? :lol:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Wounded Bear
MVP

The real question is how is the front office going to handle this next coaching transition. Are they going to handle this in typical Bears fashion by hiring a DC or OC prior to hiring the Head Coach? Or are they going to give the new guy the respect he deserves, no training wheels, allowing him to hire his own coaching staff and allowing him to make or break his own destiny with the franchise.

This is an opportunity for the Bears' organization to redefine itself and show the rest of the NFL how far they have evolved as a legitimate functioning NFL organization that knows what it's doing. Are they going to do the right thing by staying in their respective lanes? Or are they going to continue to be viewed as the idiot younger brother who wears a helmet and loves eating paste.

This may be foolish of me, but I'm hoping Pace is the guy who ushers this organization to the next level of competency.....or any level of competency.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Richie
MVP

It's pretty simple. We pay attention to football outside of the Bears...
Richie
MVP

snake95 wrote:I'll go on record that I do not want Josh McDaniels...I do not get a good feeling fair or unfair...I would be far more excited to have Dave Toub.
Jesus...

:frustrated:
Richie
MVP

Adipost wrote:
Richie wrote:
Bearfanuk wrote:I hear you, but on that basis Trestman should be reconsidered ...I mean everyone flames out in their first job right?

The Patriots are run completely differently to the Bears. They are a no nonsense, buy in or pack your bags orginsation, Billy runs a tight ship. So it really shouldn’t be difficult for an OC to lead players who realise they are in the best franchise and has been over the last 10 years and that they should respect the opportunity and work their tails off.

If you can’t get players to buy into a 10 year old scheme in addition to the above then you wouldnt even be coaching flag football. That really can’t be overlooked imo.

However, coming into a Bears team whose currently known for losing more then winning, were the same privileges won’t be felt and where the buck will stop with him is completely different especially when the locker room lacks leaders already and the ones we currently have are pro fox...it’s a recipe for Trestman 2.0

Comparing Trestman, who has failed at multiple stops in the NFL, to McDaniels. Is legitimately hilarious. Holy hell.
People seem to forget that McDaniels also had a disastrous stint as OC of the Rams. That Rams offense of his was a historical train wreck.
Lol... Oh, you mean that season where Bradford, Kellen Clemens and AJ Feely split the QB'ing duties pretty much into 1/3's and Brandon Lloyd was their #1 receiver?

Oh, good golly. What a shock that offense fell on it's face! McDaniels essentially never even coached there. Spagnulo was fired after his first year of that shit show. Which led him back to NE.

Trestman is regarded as a complete dunce in the NFL universe, while McDaniels is unquestionably renowned as one of it's best offensive minds.

As far as active NFL offensive coaches go, it's like comparing Justin Bieber to John Lennon.

His problem in Denver wasn't even his coaching ability. It was the fact that he was a hot-headed kid, who had no idea how to handle NFL players. It's 8 years later, and the man will be 42 next season. Has had all of that time to sit back down under Belichick after being humbled, and learn from his mistakes. You really think he's going to repeat that now? Fat chance... He's one helluva football coach. He simply got yanked out of the womb, and thrown into the fire a tad too soon.

Whoever hires McDaniels is setup to contend and play good offense for a very long time.
mshu7
Pro Bowler

^^^ Very well said Richie!
-Shu
snake95
Journeyman

Richie wrote:
snake95 wrote:I'll go on record that I do not want Josh McDaniels...I do not get a good feeling fair or unfair...I would be far more excited to have Dave Toub.
Jesus...

I would caution against the gigantic stiffy over a guy coaching under a Belichick led team with a first ballot HOF'er at QB and ignore a guy like Dave Toub...
Gaytoe
Journeyman

snake95 wrote:
Richie wrote:
Jesus...

I would caution against the gigantic stiffy over a guy coaching under a Belichick led team with a first ballot HOF'er at QB and ignore a guy like Dave Toub...
There is no doubt that Toub is an excellent coach but what would his team look like from a scheme/coordinators perspective?

Also, are there any ST coordinators who became a HC that have successfully developed a QB? The current trend seems to be follow the Eagles/Rams and just surround Trubisky with former QBs.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Lol... Oh, you mean that season where Bradford, Kellen Clemens and AJ Feely split the QB'ing duties pretty much into 1/3's and Brandon Lloyd was their #1 receiver?

Oh, good golly. What a shock that offense fell on it's face! McDaniels essentially never even coached there. Spagnulo was fired after his first year of that shit show. Which led him back to NE.

well if we're making giant sweeping excuses based on personnel alone, it'd be easier to keep loggains.
G08
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: His problem in Denver wasn't even his coaching ability. It was the fact that he was a hot-headed kid, who had no idea how to handle NFL players. It's 8 years later, and the man will be 42 next season. Has had all of that time to sit back down under Belichick after being humbled, and learn from his mistakes. You really think he's going to repeat that now? Fat chance... He's one helluva football coach. He simply got yanked out of the womb, and thrown into the fire a tad too soon.

Whoever hires McDaniels is setup to contend and play good offense for a very long time.
Good stuff, to add on:

It's all about Trubisky for me.

Josh McDaniels is a brilliant offensive mind, and he KNOWS how to develop QBs.

Trubisky is a humble, "yes sir", hard working kid who will soak up everything McDaniels will give him, EVEN IF McDaniels is a dick (which I don't think he will be)

To me? That's GOLD.

Defensively? Find a strong and proven DC like the Rams have done... that's the blueprint.

The Belichick/Brady argument, I can understand... but let's not forget Belichick's Pats have never won a Super Bowl without Josh McDaniels coaching on that team.

As for Belichick's tree, none of them have ever spent 14 years under Belichick:

Mangini - 6 years, 1 as a coordinator

Weis - 5 years, all 5 as a coordinator

Saban - Greatest college head coach ever?

Ferentz - Iowa Hawkeye fixture

Crennel - 4 years, 4 as a coordinator

As for being poor at drafting players? Dude drafted these starters for the Broncos' team that won the Super Bowl (Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Knowshon Moreno, and Zane Beadles). 4 starters in 2 drafts... not awful.
G08
Hall of Famer

If I'm Ryan Pace, I interview McDaniels with the hope that he's my Sean Payton. I ask about what happened in Denver, what he has learned and what he will do differently here. I'd ask him what he thought about Trubisky, what his developmental plan for him would be, what kind of offense does he envision running, what kind of skill positions are required, and what his plans are for defense and ST.

After that, I'd tell him that I am a firm believer in GM and head coach working hand-in-hand, and that I will not be handing over final control over the 53-man roster, but I also will not force any player on him that he does not want or will not utilize.

That's a solid negotiation, IMO, and the two can get to work rebuilding this offense and hoping the defense continues to ascend to a top 10 unit (and stay healthy).
wab
Mod

Now watch the Bears rattle off 5 wins in a row and save Fox's job...
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:
Adipost wrote:
Richie wrote:
Bearfanuk wrote:I hear you, but on that basis Trestman should be reconsidered ...I mean everyone flames out in their first job right?

The Patriots are run completely differently to the Bears. They are a no nonsense, buy in or pack your bags orginsation, Billy runs a tight ship. So it really shouldn’t be difficult for an OC to lead players who realise they are in the best franchise and has been over the last 10 years and that they should respect the opportunity and work their tails off.

If you can’t get players to buy into a 10 year old scheme in addition to the above then you wouldnt even be coaching flag football. That really can’t be overlooked imo.

However, coming into a Bears team whose currently known for losing more then winning, were the same privileges won’t be felt and where the buck will stop with him is completely different especially when the locker room lacks leaders already and the ones we currently have are pro fox...it’s a recipe for Trestman 2.0

Comparing Trestman, who has failed at multiple stops in the NFL, to McDaniels. Is legitimately hilarious. Holy hell.
People seem to forget that McDaniels also had a disastrous stint as OC of the Rams. That Rams offense of his was a historical train wreck.
Lol... Oh, you mean that season where Bradford, Kellen Clemens and AJ Feely split the QB'ing duties pretty much into 1/3's and Brandon Lloyd was their #1 receiver?

Trestman is regarded as a complete dunce in the NFL universe, while McDaniels is unquestionably renowned as one of it's best offensive minds.

As far as active NFL offensive coaches go, it's like comparing Justin Bieber to John Lennon.

His problem in Denver wasn't even his coaching ability. It was the fact that he was a hot-headed kid, who had no idea how to handle NFL players. It's 8 years later, and the man will be 42 next season. Has had all of that time to sit back down under Belichick after being humbled, and learn from his mistakes. You really think he's going to repeat that now? Fat chance... He's one helluva football coach. He simply got yanked out of the womb, and thrown into the fire a tad too soon.

The bolded statement is a wildly untrue. Trestman is well known as a QB development guru. He has coordinated a number of NFL offenses to great success, but only for a year or so. As a head coach, sure... he's got some goofball leadership qualities. The Ravens hired him after he got fired in Chicago and not because "he's a complete dunce". Because he isn't.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Now watch the Bears rattle off 5 wins in a row and save Fox's job...
Even if we do I think Fox is a goner... his practices are way too physical for today's NFL and personally I'm so tired of reading about our starters getting hurt in practice. It's getting old.

Don't get me wrong, I love being a physical team; but not at the expense of being disciplined and precise in assignments.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

As for Toub, I would have been all over that hire instead of Foxy. Now, not so much. We need a proven O commodity, so one who has a great offensive mind who can get the best out of Trubisky. I really never understood the "bridge" coach mentality thinking. It provides no consistency IMO. In my mind, when you hire a coach you need to think that coach is here for the long haul, for years, not 3-4.

I don't want the Bears to "settle." I want this next hire to be a homerun.

G08, I am with you on the interview aspect of your post. If McDaniels doesn't get an interview I will be royally pissed and ready to kick this franchise to the curb.
G08
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:G08, I am with you on the interview aspect of your post. If McDaniels doesn't get an interview I will be royally pissed and ready to kick this franchise to the curb.
To me, that's the move if Pace has a set of fucking balls on him.

If he doesn't, he's going to bring in Carmichael Jr., which smells like another Trestman debacle to me.
mshu7
Pro Bowler

Agreed, great stuff G08.

Also, when Pace fires Fox, he should fire the Strength & Conditioning coach. Fox brought him from Denver and I have to imagine that he's got a lot to do with all the injuries.

Bring back Rusty Jones!!!
-Shu
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I'd be interested in seeing if Urban Meyer would interview. College to NFL doesn't always work, but neither does hiring a great NFL coordinator to be a head coach. Wade Phillips is a great example of a coordinator who should never get another head coaching try. McDaniels may or may not fall into that category, but I'd make him my consolation prize rather than the main hiring focus. Still would rather have Matt Patricia and trust that he'd hire a good OC who can develop Trubisky. If not Patricia, I would like to see Mike Vrabel get an interview.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

From a Boston Globe beat writer...

On what McDaniels’s mistakes in Denver were and how he corrected them:

He readily admits that he was not emotionally — just maturity-wise — prepared for the head coaching job. He was only 32 when he took it with the Broncos. He went out to Denver and tried to be Bill Belichick Jr. And that doesn’t work unless you’re Bill Belichick and you already have three Super Bowl rings on your resume. He was kind of a little dictator, a little Napoleon out there and it didn’t sit well with a lot of the Broncos people. At the first sign of trouble, the Broncos just kind of used that excuse to get rid of Josh. He went 3-9 his second season. If they were willing to commit to him, I think he would have been able to turn it around and make it work. He didn’t invest emotionally in people. He didn’t listen to anyone. He was very cold and distant. He says he’s really worked hard on being a better family person, caring; just simple things, like caring more about his players and giving people time away from the team to do their family and personal things. There’s a lot more to being a head coach than drawing up X’s and O’s. You’re the CEO of the entire organization. This first step towards fixing a problem is admitting that you have a problem and Josh has been very upfront about that. He’s older now, he’s 40 years old. He’s had good experience the second time around with the Patriots. He’s won a Super Bowl ring, might win a second this year. Tom Brady raves about him. Just Tom Brady speaks with Josh every day. Probably speaks with Josh more than he does his own wife. If you’re looking for a young offensive candidate—the guy who helped the Patriots through a lot of success over the last decade is a pretty good place to start.
BR0D1E86
MVP

wab wrote:Now watch the Bears rattle off 5 wins in a row and save Fox's job...
If the Bears win the next five games by a combined score of 250-0, I still want Fox fired.
mshu7
Pro Bowler

Sign me up!

Chuck Pagano would be a good DC for him. Not only does he run an aggressive 3-4 defense, but I think Chuck could help him personally and professionally. Chuck would be the older, wiser assistant coming off of a HC stint. Chuck's also probably not getting anymore HC looks after this season either so you wouldn't have to worry about him leaving for another job anytime soon. It would be very similar to McVay and Phillips in LA.
-Shu
G08
Hall of Famer

mshu7 wrote:Sign me up!

Chuck Pagano would be a good DC for him. Not only does he run an aggressive 3-4 defense, but I think Chuck could help him personally and professionally. Chuck would be the older, wiser assistant coming off of a HC stint. Chuck's also probably not getting anymore HC looks after this season either so you wouldn't have to worry about him leaving for another job anytime soon. It would be very similar to McVay and Phillips in LA.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I have really never understood the love for Patricia. In my mind, the defense is Belichek's, he was a D coach. Granted I have never heard the dude talk and have never read anything about him. I am just adamant that this team needs an offensive minded coach and I would hope a younger one. I am tired of D coaches.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote:I have really never understood the love for Patricia. In my mind, the defense is Belichek's, he was a D coach. Granted I have never heard the dude talk and have never read anything about him. I am just adamant that this team needs an offensive minded coach and I would hope a younger one. I am tired of D coaches.
We need a coach with a set of balls...offense or defense. Can't abide the conservative style of Fox and Lovie, nor the reckless aggression of Mike Martz.

I like the idea of Patricia, mostly because he's been running the defense for a while now...moreso then Pederson ever did under Reid, or the more recent Nagy under Reid. Both Patricia and Vrabel have the knowhow to run various defenses and can get a system to mesh with the talent.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

This dude is probably going to be the next head coach of the NY Giants anyway, so this is all moot
docc
Head Coach

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Patricia is a guy who interests me a ton. Maybe it's the super neard degree, maybe it's the magnificent dad bod to beard ratio, maybe it's the success without a HOF cast. I don't know but something about that dude is impressive. He would be my number 1.

Matt Nagy is another guy I think it's interesting. He may not have the deepest resume but that dude seems to have it.

The Bears have an interesting situation for a prospective coach. Young QB could buy you eyes time. Amy improvement shows well on the new coach. Shitty record, any improvement shows well on the new coach.