UPDATE: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:
IotaNet wrote:
Adipost wrote:It’s gonna be interesting to watch how Nagy’s offense does today.
Not particularly impressive. No Kelcie = no production.

yeahhhh, that took the shine off alittle bit.
you still have tyreek hill and kareem hunt, and alex smith is still having a career season and you lay an egg in the second half?

there were a few drops but, man i dunno.
Alex Smith sucks
24-33, 264 yds, 2 TDs and 0 ints.

104 rating for the year. 26 TDs, 5 ints on the year. 67% completion rate.

Yea, he sucks.
Hematite
Player of the Month

RustyTrubisky wrote:
Adipost wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:Anybody that thinks this game would change the chances of Nagy getting the job is insane.
i'm talking about my enthusiasm for him getting the job though!
Are you gonna be down on DeFilippo when the Eagles get crushed next week?
nick foles won a bunch of games a few years ago!
Yes he did. Ironically, it was with Pat Shurmur as his OC.

13 games- 203 of 317 64.0% 2891yds 27tds/ 2 int 119.2qbr
Adipost
MVP

Otis Day wrote:
Adipost wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:
IotaNet wrote:

you still have tyreek hill and kareem hunt, and alex smith is still having a career season and you lay an egg in the second half?

Alex Smith sucks
24-33, 264 yds, 2 TDs and 0 ints.

104 rating for the year. 26 TDs, 5 ints on the year. 67% completion rate.

Yea, he sucks.
He’s gonna be some teams back up QB next season.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

dang adi you're prophetic
mshu7
Pro Bowler

Just to reiterate....
mshu7 wrote:

Eagles QB coach John DeFilippo has completed his interview with the Chicago Bears. Word is he’d be willing to retain Vic Fangio as DC, maintaining stability on Bears defensive side of the ball. @gmfb @NFLonFOX
mshu7 wrote:Per @aaronlemingnfl

*IF* the #Bears retain DC Vic Fangio, you can thank the HC interview on Wednesday for that.

Was told not only did the interview go well but it allowed Pace & Fangio to get a better long-term feel for each other, which could help convince Fangio to stay.

Have been told that if John DeFilippo gets an HC job this year, he'll look to take WRC Mike Groh (former Bears WRC)& assistant DL coach Phillip Daniels (former Bears player) from Philly with him.

Also keep an eye on Todd Downing as Flip's QB coach. #Bears

I don't think it's a given that DeFilippo is the #Bears guy but I can tell you that everyone I've spoken to that I trust said he was the "front runner" heading into the hiring process.

I know a lot of people look at Downing's failed OC job in 2017 as a reason not to have him as Flip's potential QB coach but remember, he was voted best QB coach by PFF in 2016 & was highly thought of. #Bears

Haven't got a straight answer who would be DeFlippo's OC but 2 names continue to float around as possibilities including Mike Groh (that or WRs coach) & Alex Van Pelt.
Worth keeping in mind that regardless of who the OC would be, Flip would call plays from what I've heard. #Bears
-Shu
Adipost
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote:dang adi you're prophetic
Last edited by Adipost on Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
docc
Head Coach

[video][/video]
MoFugger
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:
IotaNet wrote:

Sure, but how many offensive plays did they run in the second half? Like 7?

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

mshu7 wrote:Just to reiterate....
mshu7 wrote:

Eagles QB coach John DeFilippo has completed his interview with the Chicago Bears. Word is he’d be willing to retain Vic Fangio as DC, maintaining stability on Bears defensive side of the ball. @gmfb @NFLonFOX
mshu7 wrote:Per @aaronlemingnfl

*IF* the #Bears retain DC Vic Fangio, you can thank the HC interview on Wednesday for that.

Was told not only did the interview go well but it allowed Pace & Fangio to get a better long-term feel for each other, which could help convince Fangio to stay.
Look's like Pace might have to move fast if he wants Fangio to stick around...

Per Biggs:
A league source said the Bears denied a request from the Bengals to interview defensive coordinator Vic Fangio for an expected opening on their staff.

Bengals defensive coordinator Paul Guenther is expected to join Jon Gruden with the Raiders.

Fangio, the Bears defensive coordinator under John Fox for three seasons, remains in the mix for the Bears’ head coach vacancy. On Wednesday, Fangio was the first candidate to interview for that job with general manager Ryan Pace.

However, Fangio will be free to meet with other teams, including the Bengals, beginning Tuesday. At that point the Bears will not be able to block Fangio because both his three-year contract and the grace period at the end of the season that prevents coaches from bolting immediately without permission will have expired.

The NFC North rival Packers are expected to be interested in meeting with Fangio as coach Mike McCarthy looks to replace defensive coordinator Dom Capers.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

MoFugger wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:
IotaNet wrote:

maybe nagy shouldnt have abandoned the run?
IotaNet
MVP

WCG: Flip now the Vegas favorite to become Bears HC.
https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2018/ ... head-coach" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Adipost
MVP

IotaNet wrote:WCG: Flip now the Vegas favorite to become Bears HC.
https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2018/ ... head-coach" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Whoever wrote this article should be put to sleep. The title is a flat out lie.
MoFugger
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:
MoFugger wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:
IotaNet wrote:

After almost two decades of these message boards, I'm starting to feel like the term "abandoned the run" is way overused by armchair coaches.
I will admit, I didn't pay full attention to the second part of the game as I was trying to not cut off limbs with power tools. But almost every time I looked, it seemed like Tennessee had the ball.
That kind of tells me that the Chiefs defense s*** the bed.
It was a good game, and it didn't sour me on Nagy one little bit.

mshu7
Pro Bowler

Good in-depth read on Flip:

http://bearsbarroom.com/can-john-defili ... rs-around/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Shu
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:
BearDen wrote:
UOK wrote:You’re not wrong. Personally I gravitate to Flip because I get the vibe he’s a leader of men, and the reports of players willing to run through a wall for him inspire me. He also seems well spoken, intelligent, and driven. Kreutz talked about the head coach needing to be an unquestioned leader who can unite the room and get the most from the locker room. I believe Flip is capable of that simply from how I feel watching him analyze the game.

It’s emotional and not resume-based, for sure, but I trust Pace. For now.
I'm good with anyone but McDaniels to be honest. Guy is a proven loser when not behind Bill/Brady. Too much risk. Nagy would probably be my top pick.
Lol, he's not a "proven loser" anymore than Belichick was prior to going to New England.

This notion is completely ridiculous. He was young, arrogant and he got humbled. I think it's pretty safe to say he'd change a lot if he could go back in time. This was a decade ago... are you the same guy you were a decade ago? Neither am I.

The problem with McDaniels in Denver was not with his ability as a football coach, it's accepted that he's pretty damn brilliant in that regard.

I am more than confident, that he learned a good lesson from that whole situation.

I guarantee... GUARANTEE... That Josh McDaniels will be a smashing success as a HC. However, I don't think we hire him.
Wow. That's a gutsy call. And you may be right.

But this is how I look at such situations. You can change how you handle some things. But you can't change who you are. If what happened in Denver reflects who he is, then you're going to have a big word to eat. But if it's only "handling things", yeah he can change that and may end up being the wild success you expect. I just don't know that any of us are close enough to him to make that evaluation. So that makes your prediction pretty bold.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:
Richie wrote:
BearDen wrote:
UOK wrote:You’re not wrong. Personally I gravitate to Flip because I get the vibe he’s a leader of men, and the reports of players willing to run through a wall for him inspire me. He also seems well spoken, intelligent, and driven. Kreutz talked about the head coach needing to be an unquestioned leader who can unite the room and get the most from the locker room. I believe Flip is capable of that simply from how I feel watching him analyze the game.

It’s emotional and not resume-based, for sure, but I trust Pace. For now.
I'm good with anyone but McDaniels to be honest. Guy is a proven loser when not behind Bill/Brady. Too much risk. Nagy would probably be my top pick.
Lol, he's not a "proven loser" anymore than Belichick was prior to going to New England.

This notion is completely ridiculous. He was young, arrogant and he got humbled. I think it's pretty safe to say he'd change a lot if he could go back in time. This was a decade ago... are you the same guy you were a decade ago? Neither am I.

The problem with McDaniels in Denver was not with his ability as a football coach, it's accepted that he's pretty damn brilliant in that regard.

I am more than confident, that he learned a good lesson from that whole situation.

I guarantee... GUARANTEE... That Josh McDaniels will be a smashing success as a HC. However, I don't think we hire him.
Wow. That's a gutsy call. And you may be right.

But this is how I look at such situations. You can change how you handle some things. But you can't change who you are. If what happened in Denver reflects who he is, then you're going to have a big word to eat. But if it's only "handling things", yeah he can change that and may end up being the wild success you expect. I just don't know that any of us are close enough to him to make that evaluation. So that makes your prediction pretty bold.
I agree - its hard to not be an asshole when you are one. (although it helps to have a shrink who can manage the newer head meds.)
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Looking at what I wrote again, I did paint it extremely black and white. I should've pointed out that the truth likely has some of both him being him and him just handling things poorly, which can be changed. The question becomes... How much of the former and how much of the latter.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
MoFugger
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:Looking at what I wrote again, I did paint it extremely black and white. I should've pointed out that the truth likely has some of both him being him and him just handling things poorly, which can be changed. The question becomes... How much of the former and how much of the latter.
The next question should be, is it really worth the risk?
How long until the supposed humble wears off?

britbear
Player of the Month

Just woke up to see the TEN-KC score. I will admit that KC laying an egg in the 2nd half has not done anything to promote Nagy in my mind. Luckily it's not down to me.
But...you have to admit that this is not going to look good in the interview today. Prospective employers are going to want to see how you cope in big game situations when the chips are down. And the KC offense did not cope. One big player out of the game and the offense was reduced to zero. Not good.
Bleeding Navy and Orange!!! GO BEARS!!
Adipost
MVP

britbear wrote:Just woke up to see the TEN-KC score. I will admit that KC laying an egg in the 2nd half has not done anything to promote Nagy in my mind. Luckily it's not down to me.
But...you have to admit that this is not going to look good in the interview today. Prospective employers are going to want to see how you cope in big game situations when the chips are down. And the KC offense did not cope. One big player out of the game and the offense was reduced to zero. Not good.
Meh. Between halftime and the first drive of the 3rd, the offense sat for over an hour. Tons of key drops and the Kelce injury. Defense just couldn’t get off the field, Ten was 7 for 7 on third down. Here is why KC blew the game:

https://streamable.com/93xj5
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

I'm so happy to see the focus of this post moving away from McDaniels... I would have curled up in a ball and cried if he ended up in Chicago...

Flip or LaFleur...
Teddy KGB
Pro Bowler

BamaBear09 wrote:I'm so happy to see the focus of this post moving away from McDaniels... I would have curled up in a ball and cried if he ended up in Chicago...

Flip or LaFleur...
Me too. I completely misread the situation when they declined wanting to interview Steve Wilks instead of going for George Edwards.

I specifically thought that meant they were targeting Josh McDaniels, but now it's looking like I was only right about them wanting to hurry the process along.

If I had to guess, flip is going to be the new head coach

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:
britbear wrote:Just woke up to see the TEN-KC score. I will admit that KC laying an egg in the 2nd half has not done anything to promote Nagy in my mind. Luckily it's not down to me.
Meh. Between halftime and the first drive of the 3rd, the offense sat for over an hour. Tons of key drops and the Kelce injury. Defense just couldn’t get off the field, Ten was 7 for 7 on third down. Here is why KC blew the game:

Nah, just an Andy Reid coached team in the playoffs. They always seem to go in a shell somehow. The Chiefs were Reided.
britbear
Player of the Month

Adipost wrote:

I haven't seen the highlights, as I've been at work. But looking at the stats the reason why KC lost was not because TEN was 7 for 7 on 3rd down. They went into the half with a 3 score lead. All they needed was 1 more score. But their offensive drives in the 2nd half were
3 plays - 8 yds - punt
4 plays - minus 2 yds - missed FG
5 plays - 21 yds - punt
9 plays - 29 yds - turned over on downs
That's 56 yards of total offense in the 2nd half. They blew it.
Bleeding Navy and Orange!!! GO BEARS!!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:
MoFugger wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:
IotaNet wrote:

Maybe Nagy shouldn't work for Andy Reid and expect to win in the playoffs?

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Bears twitter acct announced that Ryan Pace will interview KC OC Matt Nagy for the Head Coach position today.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Per Rapoport, Nagy will meet with Bears this morning and then has an interview scheduled with the Colts.

Colts are expected to also interview KC special teams coordinator Dave Toub for their Head Coach position.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
botfly10
Player of the Month

Is Nagy the bears last scheduled interview?
BR0D1E86
MVP

botfly10 wrote:Is Nagy the bears last scheduled interview?
Last one I’ve heard about, yeah.
wab
Mod

botfly10 wrote:Is Nagy the bears last scheduled interview?
I think so.