UPDATE: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

pus wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:27 pm I'd love to see Vic Fangio return as Head Coach. I think Vic could be the right coach in the right place at the right time.
Oh god no
UOK
Site Admin

I don't know. I'd love Vic to return as a DC, but as a head coach? It COULD work in Chicago, but yeah, can't do it right now. Gotta make a splash.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Kellen Moore, then, assuming McDaniels stays put.
Last edited by o-pus #40 in B major on Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Lots and lots of rumors circulating about Harbaugh to Raiders.

Cross him off the list.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:21 pm
pus wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:27 pm I'd love to see Vic Fangio return as Head Coach. I think Vic could be the right coach in the right place at the right time.
Oh god no
Oh god no x2.

He is not working out in Denver. Nothing says he will work out here. That will be his lone shot at a HC in the NFL.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

1a- Harbaugh
1b- McDaniels

Make it happen George!
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:21 pm
Oh god no
100% agreed.

With the highest amount of respect possible, I would never want Fangio to be the HC here.

That guy along with Wade Phillips and Dick LeBeau are probably the best DCs in the game that I'm aware of. You could throw Buddy Ryan in there too.

But Just Say No to him as HC.
G08
Hall of Famer

Albert Breer wrote:“I’ve heard they won’t be focused solely on quarterback-developers like they were when they landed Nagy in 2018, with their focus likely on leader-of-men types.”
@mmmc_35 Leader of men!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:17 am
Albert Breer wrote:“I’ve heard they won’t be focused solely on quarterback-developers like they were when they landed Nagy in 2018, with their focus likely on leader-of-men types.”
@mmmc_35 Leader of men!
Well shit. This era of the franchise has shown no ability to find anyone competent. They commonly choose those that put that used car salesman approach. Realistically that approach works for individuals a lot, but rarely for the organization. I guess I'll be getting a call here soon to help with interview's.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Honestly Todd Bowls really seems to fit that mold. Just the little bit I've heard and seen of him.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Like Vic but some guys are great coordinators and don't cut it as HC. That is the issue with other guys who've failed at HC: Bowles, Frazier. Then you have the Bellichicks/Pete Carrolls who succeeded with another try. Just hire the guy who projects best as a team leader and seems able to attract talent at OC and DC.
For the first time in NFL draft history, a team has drafted a QB and a WR in the top 10.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

I don't expect Fangio will get another HC shot, and certainly not be in the running for the Bears job, but I will reiterate that he's been lumbered with an absolutely dire QB situation in Denver, much worse even than the Bears, so his chances of succeeding have been very, very low.

Just take a look at this pitiful list (with the number of starts in brackets):

2019: Joe Flacco (8), Drew Lock (5), Brandon Allen (3)
2020: Drew Lock (13), Jeff Driskel (1), Brett Rypien (1), Kendall Hinton (1)
2021: Teddy Bridgewater (14), Drew Lock (2)

If you're wondering who the hell Kendall Hinton is, he's the practice squad WR who had to fill in for a game because all the QBs were on the Covid list, although technically RB Phillip Lindsay got the start because they ran the first few plays out of the wildcat. Unsurprisingly they lost that game 31 - 3.

With that bunch it's amazing Vic's managed to win as many as 19 games, especially in a competitive division.

The year before he took charge, the Broncos defense ranked 22nd in yards and 13th in points allowed. This improved to 12th in yards/10th in points in his first season, dropped back to 21st in yards/25th in points the next and is now currently 9th in yards/3rd in points. He's basically done what he always does - built a top 10 defense.

Offensively though his teams have ranked 28th in yards/28th in points, 23rd in yards/28th in points and this year's is currently 19th in yards/23rd in points. He solved LT Garrett Bole's penalty issues and turned him into a 2nd Team All Pro, has a great pair of RBs in Melvin Gordon and Javonte Williams, a good TE in Noah Fant, and a pair of very good WRs in Sutton and Jeudy, although hasn't been helped by the former missing almost the whole of last season and the latter half of this one. That's a heck of a group and other than Gordon they're young. The one player missing is the QB and It's incredibly hard to be successful when you don't have a remotely decent one.

If I was the Broncos I'd be focused 100% on bringing in a top QB, whether that's Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson or going all in on the top prospect in the draft, and giving Fangio the last year of his contract to see what he can do. Neither the Jaguars nor the Jets, who are both going to be drafting in the top 5 will be taking a QB this year. They have plenty of ammunition with 11 picks this year including two 2nd and two 3rd rounders to make a move. Vic will probably be fired though.
G08
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:19 am Honestly Todd Bowls really seems to fit that mold. Just the little bit I've heard and seen of him.
I wouldn't hate it. Fun, aggressive defense.

Not sure who his OC would be, or if he even has a good one in mind (didn't he pick Chan freaking Gailey his first go-round?)
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Tomorrow is the day.

The turd gets flushed.

Picking up the steaks today for it.

bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Fangio fired...
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

One step closer to the Harbaugh/Fangio dream...
dplank
Hall of Famer

Feel bad for Vic. He’s been around a long time, I wonder if he even wants another DC gig?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:41 am Feel bad for Vic. He’s been around a long time, I wonder if he even wants another DC gig?
He's 63.

I'm sure the guy could retire easily, but he's still got a bunch of years left in him. Not aware of any health issues.

Lord knows I'd be beyond thrilled to have him back as the DC of the Bears. That won't happen unless we hire a credible HC like Harbaugh.

Edit: What Vic should do is pursue an HC gig in college. If that moron Mel Tucker could get a megadeal at Michigan State, just imagine what a former DC with actual accomplishments could get paid?
Last edited by The Marshall Plan on Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

dplank wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:41 am Feel bad for Vic. He’s been around a long time, I wonder if he even wants another DC gig?
Would love to have him back as DC... Not likely I know.

I expect he will be a DC for a west coast team... Seahags maybe??
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Umbali
MVP

Hema2.0 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:56 pm 1a- Harbaugh
1b- McDaniels

Make it happen George!
That is exactly where I am.
I know McDaniels isnt a popular choice because of his personality, but I read a long article about him a few years ago where he talked to his Dad right after he got fired from the Broncos. He started journaling and writing down everything he learned all the mistakes he made. He then went on to talk about his mistakes. He surely must have grown some. I also read that Belicheck never really groomed his assts. for head coaching jobs but he started grooming McDaniels when he came back.

Look at the correlation between Bill and McDaniels and maybe on his 2nd try he succeeds as Bill did. Also he and Bill both backed out of their 2nd head coaching offer they accepted lol.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Umbali wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:28 am
Hema2.0 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:56 pm 1a- Harbaugh
1b- McDaniels

Make it happen George!
That is exactly where I am.
I know McDaniels isnt a popular choice because of his personality, but I read a long article about him a few years ago where he talked to his Dad right after he got fired from the Broncos. He started journaling and writing down everything he learned all the mistakes he made. He then went on to talk about his mistakes. He surely must have grown some. I also read that Belicheck never really groomed his assts. for head coaching jobs but he started grooming McDaniels when he came back.

Look at the correlation between Bill and McDaniels and maybe on his 2nd try he succeeds as Bill did. Also he and Bill both backed out of their 2nd head coaching offer they accepted lol.
That's some interesting stuff.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
malk
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:20 pm I don't expect Fangio will get another HC shot, and certainly not be in the running for the Bears job, but I will reiterate that he's been lumbered with an absolutely dire QB situation in Denver, much worse even than the Bears, so his chances of succeeding have been very, very low.

Just take a look at this pitiful list (with the number of starts in brackets):

2019: Joe Flacco (8), Drew Lock (5), Brandon Allen (3)
2020: Drew Lock (13), Jeff Driskel (1), Brett Rypien (1), Kendall Hinton (1)
2021: Teddy Bridgewater (14), Drew Lock (2)

If you're wondering who the hell Kendall Hinton is, he's the practice squad WR who had to fill in for a game because all the QBs were on the Covid list, although technically RB Phillip Lindsay got the start because they ran the first few plays out of the wildcat. Unsurprisingly they lost that game 31 - 3.

With that bunch it's amazing Vic's managed to win as many as 19 games, especially in a competitive division.

The year before he took charge, the Broncos defense ranked 22nd in yards and 13th in points allowed. This improved to 12th in yards/10th in points in his first season, dropped back to 21st in yards/25th in points the next and is now currently 9th in yards/3rd in points. He's basically done what he always does - built a top 10 defense.

Offensively though his teams have ranked 28th in yards/28th in points, 23rd in yards/28th in points and this year's is currently 19th in yards/23rd in points. He solved LT Garrett Bole's penalty issues and turned him into a 2nd Team All Pro, has a great pair of RBs in Melvin Gordon and Javonte Williams, a good TE in Noah Fant, and a pair of very good WRs in Sutton and Jeudy, although hasn't been helped by the former missing almost the whole of last season and the latter half of this one. That's a heck of a group and other than Gordon they're young. The one player missing is the QB and It's incredibly hard to be successful when you don't have a remotely decent one.

If I was the Broncos I'd be focused 100% on bringing in a top QB, whether that's Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson or going all in on the top prospect in the draft, and giving Fangio the last year of his contract to see what he can do. Neither the Jaguars nor the Jets, who are both going to be drafting in the top 5 will be taking a QB this year. They have plenty of ammunition with 11 picks this year including two 2nd and two 3rd rounders to make a move. Vic will probably be fired though.
Agree wholeheartedly here. The Fangio firing was a ridiculous move imo. The 2020 defence was a disappointing but the record is what you'd expect with Flacco, Lock and the rest of that motley crew. Then this year he gets a decent QB in Bridgewater who is 7-7 but more lock takes the record to 7-10. A few close losses there as well.

Then factor in that the Broncos had an eye watering $36,523,919 in dead cap in 2021, largely down to getting rid of Von Miller who gave Fangio 8 sacks in 2019, missed 2020 and had 4.5 this year before being traded. Then perhaps sprinkle in their $42m in players on injured reserve (I haven't actually checked this against league average).

Honestly, what were the Broncos expecting to get out of this?

If they commit to a 1st round QB next year they've got the weapons that HRS mentions and a decent amount of cap space to grow into. Use 2022 as a learning year for the new QB without making any short term roster moves and from 2023 they've got a core of young players and room to start making moves to fill the gaps around the core.

I'd be spitting feathers if I'd have been fired in that situation.

I honestly wouldn't hate him at the Bears but recruiting a good OC would then remain our problem.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Sugashane
Player of the Month

He should be able to get a top coordinator contract. Amy first time HC that is offensive minded gets to own one half of the ball and grow as a HC while Vic owns the defense side entirely. Less stress and BS for him to deal with too.

Really the FO screwed him so bad I wouldn't blame him for refusing HC offers without getting to get his own QB.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

McDaniels would be pretty particular about the GM position, want his guy in it. We'll know in a few hours if Pace is retained.
For the first time in NFL draft history, a team has drafted a QB and a WR in the top 10.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Any press conferences scheduled for today? How has Nagy not already been fired? Are they too busy flying Harbaugh out to announce the firings of (Hopefully) both Pace and Nagy?
IotaNet
MVP

Umbali wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:28 am I know McDaniels isnt a popular choice because of his personality, but I read a long article about him a few years ago where he talked to his Dad right after he got fired from the Broncos. He started journaling and writing down everything he learned all the mistakes he made. He then went on to talk about his mistakes. He surely must have grown some.
As a rule, I don't like jerks. My personal belief is that, whatever you do, it doesn't cost you to be decent. For that reason, I'm a big fan of coaches like Vince Lombardi (read up on him), Andy Reid, and Tony Dungy. Excellent coaches but highly decent guys. Its also for that reason that I haven't been a fan of Josh McDaniels coming here - my perception of his has been that he was a textbook jerk.

Two things have changed my mind:

1) The reporting mentioned by Umbali above.

2) This story https://www.eagletribune.com/sports/bel ... 61356.html - specifically this part where Bill Belichick says:
<<He has a great vision for how to utilize the skills of the players on his side of the ball and how to try to attack the weaknesses, whether it be personnel weaknesses or schematic weaknesses, or how to try to force the opponent into a situation that he’s able to take advantage of.>>

Thats what we need for JF1. If we choose McDaniels as HC, color me all-in.
Last edited by IotaNet on Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:26 am Any press conferences scheduled for today? How has Nagy not already been fired? Are they too busy flying Harbaugh out to announce the firings of (Hopefully) both Pace and Nagy?
Last two firings broke between 8 and 9 I think. So the watch should be on right now.
Z Bear
MVP

I heard yesterday Jahns posted a tweet that said team meeting a 9am, physicals at 10am, then the team is released. I imagine the team will be told what is up then news will start breaking, give it an hour or so.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I already said it, but I think McDaniels would be the best fit for our current personnel. I think he could schematically put our guys in the best position to win week to week. Like many, I hesitate because I don't like the guy from what I know of him, but all the nice guys we've hired have finished low, if not last

Two dark horse guys I'd love to be a fly on the wall in an interview:
-Tennessee OC Todd Downing. He had a rough season calling plays for the Oakland Raiders one year, but otherwise his coaching career is pretty decent for positional success. He's mostly coached TE's QB's and has a couple stints as OC, currently in Tennessee. The reason I like him, is that he's been exposed to a few different offensive systems, and has gotten his position to thrive in all of them. He's also part of a system in Tennessee that I think currently mirrors the personnel that Chicago has. After watching Fields this year, I think he is currently at a Ryan Tannehill comp. Downing helped make Tannehill successful and I think he can help expand Fields' development as much as any other shot in the dark option available.

-LA Chargers OC Joe Lombardi: He's worked with Drew Brees, Matthew Stafford, Drew Brees, and now Justin Herbert. The biggest plus is that he could be Sean Payton without having to hire Sean Payton, but the concern that I have is that he's mostly worked with pocket passers and I'm not certain that he is the right guy for Fields. But that is probably me projecting that Fields needs a few more years of quick read, RPO, play action offense while he learns to quickly go through his progressions and not hold onto the ball in the pocket. I do like how Ekler and Jackson both have success in Lombardi's offense, so I wouldn't be too worried that he'd go straight pass happy and ignore that side of the ball.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!