UPDATE: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

I'm just glad it was one of the three guys I was hoping it would be. Now he needs to keep Fangio and bring Eric Bieniemy over and I'll sleep well.
wab
Mod

Sooooo...

Bears: Nagy
Raiders: Gruden

Then...
Lions: Patricia?
Colts: McDaniels?
Giants: Wilks?
Cards: Shurmur?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I'd bet McDaniels goes to the Giants, leaving <insert name here> for the Colts. But otherwise I concur with wab's speculation above.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
IotaNet
MVP

thunderspirit wrote:I'd bet McDaniels goes to the Giants, leaving <insert name here> for the Colts. But otherwise I concur with wab's speculation above.
Don't doubt McDaniels to NY -- he seems like an abrasive, NY kinda guy. What about Dave Toub to Indy? (Again -- looking at the Ballard connection)
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

In light of the post, I thought I would bump this back up to the top, so we could peruse our comments. It's always fun to look back on some of our perspectives.
MoFugger
Head Coach

MoFugger wrote:
I don't exactly have NFL teams knocking down my door ask my opinion. But I am pretty much Nagy or bust. Kubiak might be a step forward from where we are now, but I only see it as a baby step.
I was so wise. And kind of an asshole.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Wow this was a trip down memory lane.

Going through my posts I pounded the table for Gary Kubiak pretty hard. I had Flip over Nagy too.

Glad to be very very wrong about what I wanted.
Bad Flanders
MVP

It's threads like this, and being able to revisit them, that makes us all better fans... makes us less hyperbolic and less reactionary... cause you can see it coming once you've looked back on one of these.

I need threads like this for old fights I've had with my wife! But then I do have her to remind me how wrong I've always been so I guess it's all a wash! LOL
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Bills offense is really struggling all the sudden. I hate to be reactionary and all, but I'm liking Kellen Moore more and more (no pun intended).
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Yeah. WTF happened to the Bills?!
wab
Mod

I've been pretty lukewarm on Daboll all along and this only further cements it. The Bills offense is waaaaaay too pass-centric and completely relies on Allen.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

hell with it, give me Dave Toub. He can be head coach. He is not directing either side of the ball. His focus is on the team as a whole, clock management, all the other things game related.

The hot coordinators do not stay hot. Nagy was the hot coordinator......that didn't work out.

I want a guy who can lead the team, not one side of the ball.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:14 pm hell with it, give me Dave Toub. He can be head coach. He is not directing either side of the ball. His focus is on the team as a whole, clock management, all the other things game related.

The hot coordinators do not stay hot. Nagy was the hot coordinator......that didn't work out.

I want a guy who can lead the team, not one side of the ball.
You got my vote, Otis. Dave Toub is still in the game and he is well-known to the Bears.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I don’t understand the Daboll love when they should be trying to get Ryan Day.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Harbaugh.
Magnum_Ursus
Player of the Month

I liked this piece on him
https://ontapsportsnet.com/2021/11/09/b ... nfl-bears/

Pros:
Shows ability and willingness to adapt his scheme to his quarterback.
Willingness to try new things to put his players in positions to succeed.
Analytically driven play-caller with willingness to learn and evolve.
Development of Josh Allen from a talented but very raw QB to an All-Pro caliber passer.
Network to build a competent staff after 21 years of NFL coaching experience across multiple organizations.
Understanding of both offense and defense having played safety in college and coached on both sides of the football.
Proven himself to be an asset to multiple successful head coaches (Belichick, Saban, McDermott).

Cons:
Unproven as a motivator. Can he energize a locker room and navigate his team through adversity?
The Bill Belichick coaching tree has not shown a track record of success in the NFL. Has he learned enough when away from Belichick and Saban to not repeat the mistakes of their previous disciples?
His first two years in Buffalo were slow to show progress offensively. How long will it take with a new team to see results? Is this due to a complex system, trial and error, or a talent deficit?
Daboll had a quick rise through the coaching ranks, got knocked down, and was slow to get back to this point. After becoming a coordinator in 2009 at 32 years old, he bounced around a few spots before returning as a New England assistant. Will he need to fail before he succeeds more than others?

I'm still interested in him, but his interview and plan to move forward would be key -- his ability to adapt is big, the biggest question mark to me is his ability to lead, which is going to be a question for any first-time HC.
wab
Mod

Bowles is still my guy.
IE
Hall of Famer

I like Leftwich. It isn't just the success with Brady. Although Brady has raved about him (and he's younger than Brady). It is Arians' opinion, reliance on & promotion of him.

From wiki:
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
On January 8, 2019, Leftwich was hired by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as their offensive coordinator, reuniting with head coach Bruce Arians.[31] Arians, who was returning from retirement, said in an interview with ESPN that he "wouldn't have taken the job if it wasn't for general manager Jason Licht, and probably wouldn't have taken the job if Byron Leftwich wasn't available."[32]

After the 2020 regular season, Arians stated that he had delegated the offense to Leftwich, and expressed frustration that the coordinator was not interviewed by other NFL teams for a head coaching position.[33][34] At the end of that season, their second with Arians and Leftwich, the Buccaneers won Super Bowl LV.
Pre-Brady, Leftwich in his first year had the offense humming with Jameis (Byron didn't throw the INTs). JF1 is like a new & improved version of Winston ("now with ball protection and better decisions!"). I think he'd be really good with the Bears.
Last edited by IE on Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I still like Kellen Moore but he is totally unproven.
The bears is not a place to learn how to be a HC.

We need someone who we know can do the job.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

wab
Mod

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:21 pm I still like Kellen Moore but he is totally unproven.

Yes. I'm generally not a fan of re-treads, but in this case I think the situation calls for it. That's why I like Bowles. Good coach that is respected by his players. Just in the wrong place at the wrong time in AZ.
Magnum_Ursus
Player of the Month

wab wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:23 pm
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:21 pm I still like Kellen Moore but he is totally unproven.

Yes. I'm generally not a fan of re-treads, but in this case I think the situation calls for it. That's why I like Bowles. Good coach that is respected by his players. Just in the wrong place at the wrong time in AZ.
I wouldn't be against Bowles at all. I think my question would be who comes in to reshape the offense with him
Artbest
Player of the Month

I have - guy NEVER runs the ball. It seems to have caught up with him and with Josh Allen.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I don't like the Daboll and Roman ideas because I don't think the analogy to their QBs is right.

I like the Leftwich, Moore, and Day ideas for Fields. I'm good with Bowles but don't know who he could bring at OC that would make me feel confident. Is there a hotshot QB coach somewhere looking for a promotion?

I also like the idea of Desai sticking around for continuity. I believe that the Bears would have a top 10 defense if only they had 3 league average CBs
xyt in the discord chats
IE
Hall of Famer

If the direction is a defensive coordinator and experienced guy, I'd love to see Les Frazier come home.

Also it isn't unprecedented for teams to trade for coaches. Bears don't have draft picks but how about approaching WFT with a Mack for Chico deal? Chico's always been my guy.

But offensively, my preference is Leftwich and then Moore and then Day. I really like Day but NFL is so different from college...

I know people like Harbaugh as an ex Bear, and he's been having some success after a lot of failure (according to MI standards). He hasn't beaten Day though. He's had some success at the NFL level but that really has to be attributed to Vic Fangio and Ed Donatell - who brought a Matt Nagy team to the playoffs. Maybe he's better than he used to be - but he's SO odd and so coachy it can get cringy. I do have to admit there's a little Pete Carrol-ish vibe from Harbaugh. I wouldn't be mad if he was the choice.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Greg Roman. I'd take strong looks at Toub and Todd Bowles. Too few college guys can successfully make the jump to the pros to take a swing at Ryan Day or Lincoln Riley.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

The coach won’t matter if you still have an incompetent GM constantly falling in love with busts and trading up for them, and then overpaying free agents to make up for his draft mistakes.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I am a big Kellen Moore fan

Thought he was going to be a Coach when he was at Boise - Has an arm like Carl Lewis - but knows how Offenses work
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I just do not want a college guy here. The odds that it works are pretty slim. I know Fields is the future, but bringing in a guy just for one player, little leery about that. The team just needs COMPETENT PEOPLE!!!!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:15 pm I like Leftwich. It isn't just the success with Brady. Although Brady has raved about him (and he's younger than Brady). It is Arians' opinion, reliance on & promotion of him.

From wiki:
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
On January 8, 2019, Leftwich was hired by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as their offensive coordinator, reuniting with head coach Bruce Arians.[31] Arians, who was returning from retirement, said in an interview with ESPN that he "wouldn't have taken the job if it wasn't for general manager Jason Licht, and probably wouldn't have taken the job if Byron Leftwich wasn't available."[32]

After the 2020 regular season, Arians stated that he had delegated the offense to Leftwich, and expressed frustration that the coordinator was not interviewed by other NFL teams for a head coaching position.[33][34] At the end of that season, their second with Arians and Leftwich, the Buccaneers won Super Bowl LV.
Pre-Brady, Leftwich in his first year had the offense humming with Jameis (Byron didn't throw the INTs). JF1 is like a new & improved version of Winston ("now with ball protection and better decisions!"). I think he'd be really good with the Bears.
Andy Reid was very complimentary about Matt Nagy too...
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yea I don’t want Leftwich