HC Candidates: Jim Caldwell

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I rank this guy dead last of everyone listed thus far. :sick: :sick: :sick:

Can anyone give a positive on this guy? He was bad the first time, and that’s being generous, and don’t know what he has done to make me think he would be better as a retread.

Sorry if he has a thread already I couldn’t find it if he did.
Xee
Site Admin

Then you're not going to like to hear this:
Caldwell declined interview requests from the Las Vegas Raiders and Minnesota Vikings, according to ESPN’s Dan Graziano. This likely indicates that Caldwell expects to land one of the other available head-coaching positions, and he is reportedly in the mix for the Chicago Bears and Jacksonville Jaguars.

Graziano believes the Bears may be the most likely landing spot for Caldwell. Former Colts GM Bill Polian, who has strong links with Caldwell, is advising that search. There have been reports that another coach with Polian ties could be in the mix there as well.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/re ... ar-AAT0I37
UOK
Site Admin

UOK
Site Admin

This interview I thought was cool. Caldwell's somebody I'd like to play for.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

At 107 years old, Polian probably still thinks of Caldwell as a spring chicken.

Honestly, he'd probably be fine for Fields and as a coach for a few years, but as longterm face and fix for this franchise? Pretty uninspiring.

I'd love him as an OC. I'd dislike him less than Frazier as an HC hire, but otherwise, doesn't get me excited at all.
wulfy
MVP

George probably gives his kids socks and underwear for Christmas every year.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

At least he’s not Frazier, lol. JFC.

Man, if some of these hires are made I’m going to need someone to talk me off the ledge… or maybe push me.
wulfy
MVP

do we have a prediction thread?
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

UOK wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:35 am

This interview I thought was cool. Caldwell's somebody I'd like to play for.
Only about 1/3 of the way through - but a great interview thus far.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Caldwell would be the Andy Dalton of HC hires. Hopefully he's just planning on being someone's OC and not HC
wab
Mod

Still holding out hope that he's committed to being Flores' OC. But with the reports that he's started putting together a staff already...methinks he's either coming to Chicago or headed to Jacksonville.

Sigh.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Figures Polian comes in and they sign a Polian guy. Same with Fox and Acorsi. We could do worse but seems like a short term fix.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

If Caldwell is the guy I don’t know if I’m watching a game next season.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Is it not more likely that Caldwell is going to Jacksonville?
They have a GM, the bears don’t. The bears have a lot more HC candidates to interview.

It seems more likely that he’s going to Jacksonville with this news
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

UOK wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:13 am

Why is it than when the media posts a picture of him, he looks like a deer lost in headlights. :welcome:
Richie
MVP

Oof. What an uninspiring hire this would be. Caldwell wasn't horrible, but also was not good in his first two stints. It's not like he was young either and just needed experience. I mean, it could be worse... maybe. But is that really our standard?
IE
Hall of Famer

Watching the interview. He IS a good guy and a lot of experience.

So ex QB coach with a pretty good reputation as an offensive coordinator, super religious guy and now on a plant based diet? It's him. It is.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Welcome back Lovie Smith as the Bears new DC

:rofl:
IE
Hall of Famer

https://www.coachjimcaldwell.com/

OK OK OK... I guess I"m OK with the guy. There's nothing to not like. He's the "leader" type coach and not a coordinator as HC. Quinn's story about Caldwell deferring to his coordinators and letting them do their job tells the story. So a good GM bringing in good coordinators and it wouldn't be as vanilla as it seems like it would be with his announcement as HC.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Save us Lord Jesus.

We may not deserve it, but I’m asking you Savior that this doesn’t happen.

Please let Jim Caldwell go to Jacksonville.
IotaNet
MVP

IE wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:35 pm https://www.coachjimcaldwell.com/
Impressive site -- lots of good info there. (Interesting to note that he's Tomlin and Kaepernick's Frat Brother.) I'm curious what we find so UN-inspiring about him.

Is it the age thing? (67 is getting up there)
Is it the underwhelming record? (Over .500 but not setting the world on fire)
Is it the laid-back personality? (Fiery doesn't necessarily buy you anything)
Is it the Polian/Dungy connection (More old dudes)

It's DEF not a race thing -- we're way past that, plus there are AA coaches that we're all fired up about.

I'm curious what the thinking is -- I'm not necessarily fired up about him either although I have to admit, he's a good man and a solid coach.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:58 pm
IE wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:35 pm https://www.coachjimcaldwell.com/
Impressive site -- lots of good info there. (Interesting to note that he's Tomlin and Kaepernick's Frat Brother.) I'm curious what we find so UN-inspiring about him.

Is it the age thing? (67 is getting up there)
Is it the underwhelming record? (Over .500 but not setting the world on fire)
Is it the laid-back personality? (Fiery doesn't necessarily buy you anything)
Is it the Polian/Dungy connection (More old dudes)

It's DEF not a race thing -- we're way past that, plus there are AA coaches that we're all fired up about.

I'm curious what the thinking is -- I'm not necessarily fired up about him either although I have to admit, he's a good man and a solid coach.
There is no thinking here.

George is going to hire this guy thinking he found a diamond in the rough.

Caldwell has been around forever. What makes us think we found something the other 30 teams have missed over the past decade?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

For me it’s similar to “the age thing”.
I know most HCs only last 3-4 seasons - which takes him into his early 70’s but I’d like to see a successful HC who can realistically stick around for a decade at least.
This hire almost guarantees you’ll be doing this all again in 3-4 years time.

I’d like to see some stability. I’d like to see some long term planning. I’d like to see succession planning.

I see this as a short-term hire, and that bothers me.

Having said all that, I’ll give the guy my unwavering backing if he does get the job.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

IotaNet
MVP

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:11 pm For me it’s similar to “the age thing”.
I know most HCs only last 3-4 seasons - which takes him into his early 70’s but I’d like to see a successful HC who can realistically stick around for a decade at least.

I’d like to see some stability. I’d like to see some long term planning. I’d like to see succession planning.

Not necessarily. What if he hires bright, young coordinators?

That could open the door to some succession planning that would allow us to AVOID what other teams are dealing with -- having their bright, young coordinators poached to become HC's elsewhere. That would lead to better continuity in the long-run.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
IE
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:15 pm
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:11 pm For me it’s similar to “the age thing”.

Not necessarily. What if he hires bright, young coordinators?

That could open the door to some succession planning that would allow us to AVOID what other teams are dealing with -- having their bright, young coordinators poached to become HC's elsewhere.
I'm thinking maybe that is their thinking. Maybe there's a current OC or DC they like but they think isn't ready for full HC. Maybe Caldwell agreed with them on some such prospects, and would bring in a more "exciting" (or whatever) prospect as AHC and immediate heir apparent. What you get with Caldwell is a guy who has no learning curve from the jump (something most incoming coordinators would have as HC - guys like Dabol). But then in terms of the team's strategy and approach the coordinators bring the modern game that renders his age less important.

In this way it makes sense to me. I'm guessing Polian has them doing their due diligence but might be pulling an entire staff package together in a way that mitigates the age thing and the unexciting thing. Anyway... that's how I rationalize until I'm disappointed. LOL
IotaNet
MVP

IE wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:23 pm
IotaNet wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:15 pm Not necessarily. What if he hires bright, young coordinators?

That could open the door to some succession planning that would allow us to AVOID what other teams are dealing with -- having their bright, young coordinators poached to become HC's elsewhere.
I'm thinking maybe that is their thinking. Maybe there's a current OC or DC they like but they think isn't ready for full HC. Maybe Caldwell agreed with them on some such prospects, and would bring in a more "exciting" (or whatever) prospect as AHC and immediate heir apparent. What you get with Caldwell is a guy who has no learning curve from the jump (something most incoming coordinators would have as HC - guys like Dabol). But then in terms of the team's strategy and approach the coordinators bring the modern game that renders his age less important.

In this way it makes sense to me. I'm guessing Polian has them doing their due diligence but might be pulling an entire staff package together in a way that mitigates the age thing and the unexciting thing. Anyway... that's how I rationalize until I'm disappointed. LOL
We're going deep down the rabbit hole of "what ifs" but that would be a FANTASTIC situation in my mind.

Caldwell definitely knows how to inspire loyalty and culture. To create a scenario that builds culture, minimizes immediate risk (of naming an untested coordinator to the HC spot), and simultaneously builds in succession + continuity would be a masterstroke. Especially if there were alignment with the new GM.

- Colin Powell
Dardango
Journeyman

I don't even want to think about this being even a remote possibility. Hope he lands with the Jags.
bbaker
Journeyman

Please. NO. I’ll slit my fucking wrists in the lobby of Halas Hall.

I’m in Jacksonville right now… if you guys all send me your life savings, I’ll drive to the Jags’ office and do my best to bribe them to hire Caldwell.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:49 pm Save us Lord Jesus.

When I feel like that I have had good results with a Black Grouse & Durban poison chaser.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:38 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:49 pm Save us Lord Jesus.

When I feel like that I have had good results with a Black Grouse & Durban poison chaser.
I seemed to have pretty much skipped the first few Stages of Grief and went straight to Bargaining.

https://www.healthline.com/health/stage ... bargaining