Official: Mark Helfrich named Bears OC

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

sturf
Journeyman

Cohen and Hill are different players. Hill was primarily a sprinter so they moved him to basically a pure wide receiver last season. Cohen is a natural running back and taking handoffs so it makes the most sense to still use Cohen as a change of pace tailback to Howard, which will make his usage different from Hill.

In addition to spelling Howard at tailback I think the base offense is going to be Howard, 2 WR hopefully with deep speed to keep the field spread, and them moving Shaheen and Cohen all over the formation. You take advantage of Shaheen having the size to play on the line of scrimmage, but also being able to split out. The key player is Cohen. Cohen is not going to become an outside receiver like Hill, but ideally he does need to master the craft of being a traditional slot receiver. You want to be able to run a traditional 11 personnel offense with Cohen as a slot receiver and then be able to motion to all of the RPO stuff, or vice versa. The Bears started Cohen on this journey last season. He was the only running back to take part in WR drills in training camp.

Hopefully they can also develop Taquan Mizzell as a competent 3rd down back. Someone who is a bigger than Cohen to pick up blitzes, but can also potentially be more of a threat when split out as a receiver than someone like Cunningham. Potentially they could do some things in combination with Cohen on the field as well if they can get into manageable 3rd down distances. Split both out, put both in the backfield, or motion one out then the other in to get one of them isolated against a LB.
G08
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I've been a broken record with this but I want Shaheen to cut weight down to about 260 lbs, I think that's going to unlock some speed and balance for the kid.
Per Adam Jahns of The Athletic, Shaheen has lost 7 lbs :)
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
G08 wrote:I've been a broken record with this but I want Shaheen to cut weight down to about 260 lbs, I think that's going to unlock some speed and balance for the kid.
Per the john, that just means he took a dump.
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
I still think his optimal weight is somewhere in the 250 range, but I'm trying to get away from the physical measurables stuff that I'm constantly hung up on.

*Charles Leno is still 6'3 and too small to play tackle for an extended period of time
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
G08 wrote:
I still think his optimal weight is somewhere in the 250 range, but I'm trying to get away from the physical measurables stuff that I'm constantly hung up on.

*Charles Leno is still 6'3 and too small to play tackle for an extended period of time
Now just hold on their cowboy...I see you have found a new "out" in your praise for the Chicago Bears starting LT. "For an extended period of time?" How extended? By that criteria Joe Thomas was too big to play LT for an extended period of time. Maybe if he was 6'4" and 300lbs, he could have played for 13 years instead of 11.

G08, can we get a ruling on this??
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
wab wrote:
G08 wrote:

Now just hold on their cowboy...I see you have found a new "out" in your praise for the Chicago Bears starting LT. "For an extended period of time?" How extended? By that criteria Joe Thomas was too big to play LT for an extended period of time. Maybe if he was 6'4" and 300lbs, he could have played for 13 years instead of 11.

G08, can we get a ruling on this??
Absolutely!

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS