Update: Bears don't match Meredith offer, joins Saints

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

It isn't about what pans out, you can't know that at the time.
But... they did know that at the time. Hence the low tender and why they didn't match it. They even said as much...they weren't confident about his knee. And lo and behold...
Teddy KGB
Pro Bowler

malk wrote:
wab wrote:
malk wrote:
Pagan wrote:I think this Cam Meredith news is just another example of how easy it is for us to be overly negative/critical fans, and throwing around damming comments without much recourse.
It's always easier to poopoo every situation & claim to be a genius when you're right, because when you're wrong like in this incident... it's rarely even brought back up or met with equal intensity.
The Bears organization & Pace specifically was absolutely hammered over not resigning Cam.

If you were roasting Pace for not resigning Cam... now might be a good time for a retraction.
Or at the Very least... take a moment next time you feel like you're a NFL GM.
I still think Pace made a mistake with Meredith and hindsight doesn't really change that. See https://www.bearsfansonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202005#p202005.

Basically, if he was worth the original round tender, why not a 2nd round tender for $1m more. We can say that the medical team knew about his knee but if they thought it was gone then we wouldn't have even given that tender.

Now I'm glad that didn't happen, it could have stopped us getting Gabriel or drafting Miller, but in terms of decision making I don't think Pace smashed it out of the park.

And yes, I'm being hyper critical, but I want rings damnit!
How the Bears paying Meredith to spend a year on IR help achieve that goal? Especially given the fact that you suggest that it would have potentially prevented the Bears from getting either/both Gabriel and Miller.

You'd have Robinson, Meredith on IR, Bellamy, and....Kevin White. Maybe they still draft Miller, but giving Meredith a 2nd round tender (that wouldn't have been matched) doesn't put the Bears closer to a ring.
It isn't about what pans out, you can't know that at the time. If we wanted Meredith back then the 2nd round tender gets it done for $1m more. If we didn't then don't put in the original round tender. I would have tried to use the 2nd round tender to leverage him into a cheap multi year deal but Pace, bar for McPhee (which I maintain is one of his best contracts) he doesn't really do risk.

Basically us not having Meredith is more luck than judgement.
So when fans are right, the GM is an idiot, but when the GM is right, its just luck... yeah, ok. :frustrated:

Some people....
malk
Head Coach

Yeah, some people huh.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)