Update: Bears don't match Meredith offer, joins Saints

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dickbutkus97
Rookie

:) :) Classic cognitive dissonance situation- how to rate 2 players who both had a devastating injury before they go into a new season, supposedly "recovered". Maybe both will be good in the long run- Meridith and Robinson. Maybe one of them "looks good" now, like is said about Meridith. Does that mean that Pace made a mistake, or are we skewing our impression to fit the past? Isn't it easy to bash the one who wasn't signed, or the GM who wouldn't take a risk on him?

Personally I much rather cheer for Meridith than Jeffrey, but I wish that both of them could have remained in Chicago.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:If keeping Meredith means that we never drafted Miller, even though I have no idea if he'll work out or not, then I'm glad we let Meredith go. Miller's potential is far greater than Meredith's ceiling especially post injury and we have AR15, Gabriel and Burton which more than offset not have Meredith.
Well, yeah, if you throw tons of financial and draft resource at pretty much any position, you can make it better.
However, given that your financial and draft resources are both capped, your goal is to get good value.
Yes, they added more at WR than they lost in Meredith...by spending 23M (plus future guaranteed money, too) & 2 draft picks vs spending 3M.
Being better is not really relevant.

Robinson cost huge money and last put up huge numbers 3 yrs ago
Gabriel got big money without ever being a starter and averaging under 500 yds a season
Burton got big money without ever being a starter and averaging under 300 yds a season the last 2
Miller cost a R2 + R4 with no NFL track record, obviously

Meredith cost no draft pick originally, none to keep, and minor money to have kept him this year (with no future commitment). Then, if he played well, you'd be paying market value for a player who you knew could start and was recovered from injury.

The real questions are:
Were the new acquisitions good value?
Is the receiver group they made without him a better group and better value than some combination they could have made that included him?

(And that last question should also be asked with Kendall Wright and Dontrelle Inman, both experienced and dirt cheap, in the question, too)
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Bad Flanders
MVP

AAAAAANNNNNNDDDDDD.... rumors that Cam isn't 100% right now.

I want the best for the kid and hope it's not that his knee isn't right still.

That said, Pace took a lot of crap for this (I sure questioned it myself) and maybe time will show it as a better decision than most thought.
UOK
Site Admin

Bad Flanders wrote:AAAAAANNNNNNDDDDDD.... rumors that Cam isn't 100% right now.

I want the best for the kid and hope it's not that his knee isn't right still.

That said, Pace took a lot of crap for this (I sure questioned it myself) and maybe time will show it as a better decision than most thought.
I don't think it's so much a matter of who was right and who was wrong, but at the time the contract felt like a very low-risk investment. That Pace didn't match, at least to me, felt like a big signal that the knee wasn't giving them much optimism.
Z Bear
MVP

If they matched and retained Cam they would not have drafted Anthony Miller.

I'd rather have Miller.
G08
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote:If they matched and retained Cam they would not have drafted Anthony Miller.

I'd rather have Miller.
Agreed -- and I say this as someone that loves(loved?) Cam.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Sugashane
Player of the Month

Z Bear wrote:If they matched and retained Cam they would not have drafted Anthony Miller.

I'd rather have Miller.
I'd have been fine with matching and still getting Miller. Right now we have
Robinson
Gabriel
Miller
Burton (he is a big WR basically)

That is a good corps, but if one goes down then you're relying on White or Bellamy, maybe Wims if he ascends, For how little Meredith was going to make the next two years, I'd have loved seeing him rotate in. He is likely the best 3rd or 4th option in the game. If healthy I think he is a better overall player than Gabriel to be honest. He is far better than Bellamy, Fowler, Gentry, etc.
Bigwill
Practice Squad

If Nagy doesn't think Cam Meredith fits his scheme and/or the doctors won't sign off on Meredith, I can accept that. But without one of those factors, I simply don't understand (1) the decision not to tender him at a higher level or (2) the decision not to match. Oy.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Will! Good to see you again, man! :-)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
malk
Head Coach

Bigwill wrote:If Nagy doesn't think Cam Meredith fits his scheme and/or the doctors won't sign off on Meredith, I can accept that. But without one of those factors, I simply don't understand (1) the decision not to tender him at a higher level or (2) the decision not to match. Oy.
Yup, the tender was the mistake but I've moved on now. Really hope it works out for Meredith, just not against us.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

WP.1
Player of the Month

Meredith caught two passes for 72 yards and a touchdown last night, including a 56-yarder.
Sugashane
Player of the Month

WP.1 wrote:Meredith caught two passes for 72 yards and a touchdown last night, including a 56-yarder.
What could have been - Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, Meredith, White, Wims

Adipost
MVP

He’s starting to look like he trusts that knee, looked a bit tentative up to this point...

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ihartitz/status/1035323467590234113
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I watched the whole game and thought he looked good. Had some nice routes where he didn't get targeted, and blocked well in run support. He's gonna do well down here and that Saints offense is gonna score. Alot.
xyt in the discord chats
G08
Hall of Famer

King of the double moves... I hope he does well (but not TOO well, because I'm an asshole :lol: )
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
WP.1
Player of the Month

and now this

week 1- inactive
Bearfacts
MVP

WP.1 wrote:and now this

week 1- inactive
No injury reported and he worked out with the PS.....curious.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Doesn't look like they missed him, they put up quite a few points.
IotaNet
MVP

Saints working out THREE wideouts today including Dez Bryant and Brandon Marshall. Looks like the Cameron Meredith thing hasn't panned out.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... for-saints" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That Ryan Pace guy is pretty smart, huh? 8-)
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
UOK
Site Admin

He's been kind of a ghost for them, even in spite of their record.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote:Saints working out THREE wideouts today including Dez Bryant and Brandon Marshall. Looks like the Cameron Meredith thing hasn't panned out.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... for-saints" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kudos to Pace. It still makes me sad. But easy to understand why with the benefit of hindsight.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:
IotaNet wrote:Saints working out THREE wideouts today including Dez Bryant and Brandon Marshall. Looks like the Cameron Meredith thing hasn't panned out.

Kudos to Pace. It still makes me sad. But easy to understand why with the benefit of hindsight.
He got some targets and catches early in the season, but nothing lately. I wonder if the knee just didn't come back or he reinjured it or something.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Gone and forgotten.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

He's lost in the shuffle for short-to-intermediate targets. Nobody could have predicted that Watson would be effective, and Tre Smith came along faster than I expected. The Saints needed a player to stretch the field vertically when Ginn got hurt and I guess they think that's Bryant?

Btw couch the word "need" with the dominance of that offense. They need nothing on the offensive side of the ball.
xyt in the discord chats
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

And Meredith goes to ir for a knee scope.
wab
Mod

southdakbearfan wrote:And Meredith goes to ir for a knee scope.
It's almost like the Bears....knew what they were doing.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Happy with what the Bears have at WR. I don't even think about Meredith. Guys here now have a bigger upside IMO.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Well I was completely wrong. When I researched the other day I couldn't even find a New Orleans reporter talking about Cam hasn't been practicing or anything... well I hope he recovers and can play next year :(
xyt in the discord chats
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:And Meredith goes to ir for a knee scope.
It's almost like the Bears....knew what they were doing.

:thumbsup:

a refreshing change isn't it?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin