Update: Bears don't match Meredith offer, joins Saints

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

WP.1
Player of the Month

Meredith caught two passes for 72 yards and a touchdown last night, including a 56-yarder.
Sugashane
Player of the Month

WP.1 wrote:Meredith caught two passes for 72 yards and a touchdown last night, including a 56-yarder.
What could have been - Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, Meredith, White, Wims

Adipost
MVP

He’s starting to look like he trusts that knee, looked a bit tentative up to this point...

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ihartitz/status/1035323467590234113
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I watched the whole game and thought he looked good. Had some nice routes where he didn't get targeted, and blocked well in run support. He's gonna do well down here and that Saints offense is gonna score. Alot.
xyt in the discord chats
G08
Hall of Famer

King of the double moves... I hope he does well (but not TOO well, because I'm an asshole :lol: )
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
WP.1
Player of the Month

and now this

week 1- inactive
Bearfacts
MVP

WP.1 wrote:and now this

week 1- inactive
No injury reported and he worked out with the PS.....curious.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Doesn't look like they missed him, they put up quite a few points.
IotaNet
MVP

Saints working out THREE wideouts today including Dez Bryant and Brandon Marshall. Looks like the Cameron Meredith thing hasn't panned out.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... for-saints" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That Ryan Pace guy is pretty smart, huh? 8-)
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
UOK
Site Admin

He's been kind of a ghost for them, even in spite of their record.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote:Saints working out THREE wideouts today including Dez Bryant and Brandon Marshall. Looks like the Cameron Meredith thing hasn't panned out.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... for-saints" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kudos to Pace. It still makes me sad. But easy to understand why with the benefit of hindsight.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:
IotaNet wrote:Saints working out THREE wideouts today including Dez Bryant and Brandon Marshall. Looks like the Cameron Meredith thing hasn't panned out.

Kudos to Pace. It still makes me sad. But easy to understand why with the benefit of hindsight.
He got some targets and catches early in the season, but nothing lately. I wonder if the knee just didn't come back or he reinjured it or something.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Gone and forgotten.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

He's lost in the shuffle for short-to-intermediate targets. Nobody could have predicted that Watson would be effective, and Tre Smith came along faster than I expected. The Saints needed a player to stretch the field vertically when Ginn got hurt and I guess they think that's Bryant?

Btw couch the word "need" with the dominance of that offense. They need nothing on the offensive side of the ball.
xyt in the discord chats
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

And Meredith goes to ir for a knee scope.
wab
Mod

southdakbearfan wrote:And Meredith goes to ir for a knee scope.
It's almost like the Bears....knew what they were doing.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Happy with what the Bears have at WR. I don't even think about Meredith. Guys here now have a bigger upside IMO.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Well I was completely wrong. When I researched the other day I couldn't even find a New Orleans reporter talking about Cam hasn't been practicing or anything... well I hope he recovers and can play next year :(
xyt in the discord chats
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:And Meredith goes to ir for a knee scope.
It's almost like the Bears....knew what they were doing.

:thumbsup:

a refreshing change isn't it?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Pagan
MVP

I think this Cam Meredith news is just another example of how easy it is for us to be overly negative/critical fans, and throwing around damming comments without much recourse.
It's always easier to poopoo every situation & claim to be a genius when you're right, because when you're wrong like in this incident... it's rarely even brought back up or met with equal intensity.
The Bears organization & Pace specifically was absolutely hammered over not resigning Cam.

If you were roasting Pace for not resigning Cam... now might be a good time for a retraction.
Or at the Very least... take a moment next time you feel like you're a NFL GM.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Perfect example of why fans need to practice patience. Maybe a lot need to look in the mirror, fan does not equal GM.

I guess anymore I don't become fanboy for any player. If it is going to help the Bears, who I am a fan of, I am all for launching any player.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Perfect example of why fans need to practice patience. Maybe a lot need to look in the mirror, fan does not equal GM.

I guess anymore I don't become fanboy for any player. If it is going to help the Bears, who I am a fan of, I am all for launching any player.
So does this mean you wear a Ted Philliips jersey? George McCaskey? Better yet, Ginny? :-P
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I have 3 Walter Payton jerseys and a Mike Singletary. I will never like any players as much as I did Payton, Buffone, Butkus and some of the 85 Bears (Hampton, McMichael, Gentry, any of the OL). I will stick to buying jerseys with their names on #s on them.

I may someday buy a Tillman.
Umbali
MVP

Otis Day wrote:I have 3 Walter Payton jerseys and a Mike Singletary. I will never like any players as much as I did Payton, Buffone, Butkus and some of the 85 Bears (Hampton, McMichael, Gentry, any of the OL). I will stick to buying jerseys with their names on #s on them.

I may someday buy a Tillman.

I have 3 Paytons, 1 Singletary, and a Hester I gave to my daughter. I have a goofy knock off Long jersey. For a few years now I have been talking about how my next jersey will be Peanut.

Honestly for me to buy a Mack jersey, I need a few more dominate years in a BEARS jersey, not just a couple of game. I need him to make me forget he was a Raider.

I did come close with a Kreutz jersey.

That being said...after reading Never Die Easy, I really should have a Suehy jersey.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Umbali
MVP

Oops I meant to respond regarding Meredith. So at the time I admit I was upset we didnt keep him. I thought it was a bad move. That being said this is a great reminder, we dont see these guys medical reports. We dont see them doing drills. We dont see them walking, running, and moving freely or stiffly. So I was wrong. I am glad Pace was right.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
malk
Head Coach

Pagan wrote:I think this Cam Meredith news is just another example of how easy it is for us to be overly negative/critical fans, and throwing around damming comments without much recourse.
It's always easier to poopoo every situation & claim to be a genius when you're right, because when you're wrong like in this incident... it's rarely even brought back up or met with equal intensity.
The Bears organization & Pace specifically was absolutely hammered over not resigning Cam.

If you were roasting Pace for not resigning Cam... now might be a good time for a retraction.
I still think Pace made a mistake with Meredith and hindsight doesn't really change that. See https://www.bearsfansonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202005#p202005.

Basically, if he was worth the original round tender, why not a 2nd round tender for $1m more. We can say that the medical team knew about his knee but if they thought it was gone then we wouldn't have even given that tender.

Now I'm glad that didn't happen, it could have stopped us getting Gabriel or drafting Miller, but in terms of decision making I don't think Pace smashed it out of the park.

And yes, I'm being hyper critical, but I want rings damnit!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
wab
Mod

malk wrote:
Pagan wrote:I think this Cam Meredith news is just another example of how easy it is for us to be overly negative/critical fans, and throwing around damming comments without much recourse.

I still think Pace made a mistake with Meredith and hindsight doesn't really change that. See https://www.bearsfansonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202005#p202005.

Basically, if he was worth the original round tender, why not a 2nd round tender for $1m more. We can say that the medical team knew about his knee but if they thought it was gone then we wouldn't have even given that tender.

Now I'm glad that didn't happen, it could have stopped us getting Gabriel or drafting Miller, but in terms of decision making I don't think Pace smashed it out of the park.

How the Bears paying Meredith to spend a year on IR help achieve that goal? Especially given the fact that you suggest that it would have potentially prevented the Bears from getting either/both Gabriel and Miller.

You'd have Robinson, Meredith on IR, Bellamy, and....Kevin White. Maybe they still draft Miller, but giving Meredith a 2nd round tender (that wouldn't have been matched) doesn't put the Bears closer to a ring.
malk
Head Coach

wab wrote:
malk wrote:

How the Bears paying Meredith to spend a year on IR help achieve that goal? Especially given the fact that you suggest that it would have potentially prevented the Bears from getting either/both Gabriel and Miller.

You'd have Robinson, Meredith on IR, Bellamy, and....Kevin White. Maybe they still draft Miller, but giving Meredith a 2nd round tender (that wouldn't have been matched) doesn't put the Bears closer to a ring.
It isn't about what pans out, you can't know that at the time. If we wanted Meredith back then the 2nd round tender gets it done for $1m more. If we didn't then don't put in the original round tender. I would have tried to use the 2nd round tender to leverage him into a cheap multi year deal but Pace, bar for McPhee (which I maintain is one of his best contracts) he doesn't really do risk.

Basically us not having Meredith is more luck than judgement.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I throw the bs flag on this. Based on the offer the bears best bet was Meredith was dicey at best. They only were willing to invest the amount of the original round tender for a reason.

If you call that luck then you could call every draft choice, coach selection and every other decision just lucky if they turn out good for them.