Matt Barkley maybe new starting Bill QB

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Rakshir
Pro Bowler

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bills-rule ... --nfl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm glad we dodged that bullet. Wouldn't want to face some Matt B, :D
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I like Matt and still really wish he had gotten a better shot here. Not that I want him over Mitch but I hope he does well.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Bills housed the Jets today. Barkley had a solid day.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:I like Matt and still really wish he had gotten a better shot here. Not that I want him over Mitch but I hope he does well.
Agreed, I thought Matt had more than a chance to be a solid backup for sure with some of what he showed in limited duty.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:I like Matt and still really wish he had gotten a better shot here. Not that I want him over Mitch but I hope he does well.

I think he would have been the better option as QB placeholder until Mitch was put in, but that's a dead horse I've been beating for a while

dead horse or not, doesn't make it any less true

was happy he had a solid game in his first shot with the Bills
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
ursamagnus
Practice Squad

Boris13c wrote:

I think he would have been the better option as QB placeholder until Mitch was put in, but that's a dead horse I've been beating for a while

dead horse or not, doesn't make it any less true

was happy he had a solid game in his first shot with the Bills
I could see a long and fitspatrick-like career for him
malk
Head Coach

I think this was probably Pace's biggest mistake. From https://www.bearsfansonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190735#p190735
malk wrote:At the end of last year, we could have offered him virtually anything and he would have taken it but say 3 years, $10m and he shakes your hand off. What are the possible outcomes? Bear in mind a full offseason as a starter for the first time since college.

He can't control the interceptions, flames out and you start the rookie before cutting him for a minimal loss.
He improves to 1:1 TD:Int and isn't worth keeping around but has allowed the rook time to develop.
He improves to 3:2 TD:Int and is worth keeping around as a backup with the possibility of further improvement.
He improves to 2:1 TD:Int and is a fringe starter with upside on a great contract, a great trade chip.
He becomes a solid starter and you've got yourselves a QB controversy or a fantastic trade chip.
Barkley could be our backup now, taking up less cap space than Daniel and we'd have never had to pay, or watch, Longneck the Red. Incidentally, the worst case scenario for Barkley was no worse than what actually happened with Glennon. Boo.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)