Most improved player from last year... Dion Sims?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I found this article and was rather taken aback when Ryan Pace suggested that the most improved returning player wasn't Biscuit. Here's the snip from the article.
4. The Bears’ most improved player is… Dion Sims?

On an Instagram Q&A with fans last week, Bears general manager Ryan Pace was asked who on the roster has improved the most since last season. The easy layup would have been Trubisky, but Pace surprisingly declared that Dion Sims has improved the most, noting the tight end’s great offseason.

Much has been made about the tight end position in Nagy’s offense, but very little attention has been given to Sims, who doesn’t figure to be as dangerous of a receiving option as free agent addition Trey Burton or 2017 second round pick Adam Shaheen. Of course, that line of thinking is exactly what drove Sims this offseason.

“I watch film on myself during the offseason and I try to nitpick at every little thing to see what are my weaknesses,” Sims said. “And I think the big thing was route running, creating separation, being able to use my size to an advantage. Because of my size, I figure the faster I am, or the quicker I am, it will give me more of an advantage against safeties or backers or whoever is guarding me.”

Thus, Sims spent the offseason in South Florida doing more speed training, making a point of working out on hotter days with higher humidity. Through two padded practices, Sims says he can already feel the difference, and so far he is getting his opportunity to contribute in the passing game.

As for getting praised by the GM: “It gives you confidence. And it encourages you to continue working harder. That’s a lot of attention and spotlight and it puts pressure on you to handle praise and to keep working,” Sims said.
Honestly, this could be really good, particularly if Nagy wants to go with a lot of 2 TEs. Having 2 productive TE passing game targets and one (Sims) who can block really well will really put defenses in a pickle of having to decide who to defend. I was one of Sims' harshest critics after last year and I stand by that. But if he can be a productive 2-way guy, that will allow us to lean on Howard the running game, while at the same time keeping a chain mover receiving option on the field at the same time.

Clearly, there's a reason Pace signed Sims to multiple years at $6M per. Hopefully, he'll earn that dough in 2018 after having busted his tail in the offseason.

About the only downside to this is the effect on Adam Shaheen's PT. But coming from a small school, it might be OK.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

I heard a random comment on the radio that Sims is down to like 245 or something.

Personally though, I think the "most improved" thing is a ploy to drive up his trade value.
UOK
Site Admin

I don't think they'll trade anyone. Bears are in no position to give up anyone, because they know depth will be tested by injury again, they simply don't know to what extent.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Watching the videos he did look good.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I heard a random comment on the radio that Sims is down to like 245 or something.

Personally though, I think the "most improved" thing is a ploy to drive up his trade value.
He looked much quicker/smoother from what I saw of him in camp videos on the Twitters.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
malk
Head Coach

Can he catch now?
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

He wasn't totally useless in the pass game last year. I remember a handful of plays where he was open and was missed. Either a bad throw or wasn't thrown to.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

malk wrote:Can he catch now?
He got a a special hand treatment for that.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:

the critics didn't like that movie much but I thought The Replacements was entertaining
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:

the critics didn't like that movie much but I thought The Replacements was entertaining
One of my favorite football movies ever... plus those cheerleaders :thumbsup:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
southdakbearfan wrote:

One of my favorite football movies ever... plus those cheerleaders :thumbsup:
oh yeeeesssss

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

BlueAndOrangeDog
Practice Squad

I found it interesting that the only TE that the Bears held out as players deemed too important to risk... was Trey Burton.

Despite 5 TEs playing that included 4 from last years 53 man roster.. (Shaheen, Braunecker, D. Brown, and Sims).. the Bears opened in the extremely rare 20 personnel grouping.

Was there anyone as expensive as Sims... on either team... on the field that night?
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

(wrong thread)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Sugashane
Player of the Month

I hope Sims gets to play more of a FB/TE3 role. I don't want to see $6 mil completely wasted but don't want him taking Shaheen and Burton's reps unless they are injured/getting a breather for a few plays. At least at FB we could have a potential upgrade from Michael Burton and he gets time to work on his game rather than just get rusty.
docc
Head Coach

Won't see him on Thursday..just get healthy and MEAN..