2018 Offensive Line

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

This is one of the most intriguing positions groups for me this year. It seems that any good NFL offense starts with a solid OL. After the first 'unofficial' depth chart;

Leno Jr. - Kush - Whitehair - Long - Massie

The wildcard in this whole process to me, is Harry Heistand. Largely considered the best OL position coach in the country. They question becomes, who does he take from good to great, and from great to All-Pro. I think we can all agree that the final OL is not going to be the group above. But what is it going to look like? My feeling is that it's going to look more like;

Leno Jr. - Daniels - Whitehair - Long - ?

I honestly don't know who's going to be our starting RT this year, but I doubt it would be Massie. Massie was pretty bad in pass pro last year, and given Nagy's offense, I think that Heistand is going to coach another player into that position.

I'm just not sure who that is.

Thought?
BlueAndOrangeDog
Practice Squad

Although drafted as an IOL, Jordan Morgan is an unknown entity that I would like to see get a shot to move outside to RT, in a Lance Louis kind of situation.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

My surprises:

Gabriel starting with White 2nd string (and listed at and presumably playing flanker??)
Don't like either of those.

Morgan on 3rd string
Not bothered by this - I've always thought he was a longshot and iffy pick.

Did they get Hall and Bush on the wrong sides at S?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote:My surprises:

Gabriel starting with White 2nd string (and listed at and presumably playing flanker??)
Don't like either of those.

Morgan on 3rd string
Not bothered by this - I've always thought he was a longshot and iffy pick.

Did they get Hall and Bush on the wrong sides at S?
I thought Morgan was a project player, that with the right coaching, had a lot of upside. It will be interesting to see what Heistand can do with him.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:This is one of the most intriguing positions groups for me this year. It seems that any good NFL offense starts with a solid OL. After the first 'unofficial' depth chart;

The wildcard in this whole process to me, is Harry Heistand. Largely considered the best OL position coach in the country. They question becomes, who does he take from good to great, and from great to All-Pro. I think we can all agree that the final OL is not going to be the group above. But what is it going to look like? My feeling is that it's going to look more like;

I honestly don't know who's going to be our starting RT this year, but I doubt it would be Massie. Massie was pretty bad in pass pro last year, and given Nagy's offense, I think that Heistand is going to coach another player into that position.

Thought?
I kinda disagree with you on Massie. I think he's alright. The question I'd be asking, is what Hiestand can do with HIM.

And perhaps I'm being senselessly optimistic, but what can Hiestand do with Helfrich's guy Grasu? Probably nothing, but it's worth considering.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:This is one of the most intriguing positions groups for me this year. It seems that any good NFL offense starts with a solid OL. After the first 'unofficial' depth chart;

Thought?
I kinda disagree with you on Massie. I think he's alright. The question I'd be asking, is what Hiestand can do with HIM.

And perhaps I'm being senselessly optimistic, but what can Hiestand do with Helfrich's guy Grasu? Probably nothing, but it's worth considering.
The problem with Massie, is that he's 29. Whatever bad habits he's developed in his 7-year career, are probably there to stay. Grasu is done. He has proven in his NFL starts to be too easy to push around. He's just not big enough. I doubt he makes the roster.
wab
Mod

The wildcard is Long and his ability to stay healthy. The Bears are also desperately thin at OT. I don’t think anyone wants to count on Sowell.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

All Leno has done is get better, and He's missed like 2 snaps since being drafted. LT is fine. Kush is on a one year deal, I think letting James be "redshirted" this year. I mean, he won't be 21 until week 2. He'll add weight, and get stronger. In 2019 Whitehair will move to his permanent spot at LG, and James will take over Center. As a precaution, I'd hold Kyle out all preseason. Just keep him in the gym. And Massie at RT. He's not THAT bad. But still. He can't be traded. He's in a contract year. We're paying him. We have to play him. Unless former Alabama TE-turned-OT Brandon Greene has a hell of a camp.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Mikefive wrote:

Thought?

The problem with Massie, is that he's 29. Whatever bad habits he's developed in his 7-year career, are probably there to stay. Grasu is done. He has proven in his NFL starts to be too easy to push around. He's just not big enough. I doubt he makes the roster.
Man... When it comes to Massie, I think you're smoking something. He's the heaviest OL guy on the team outside of Rashad Coward. He can run block, but his pass blocking can be iffy at times. Not make the team?!?!? Are you kidding??? Who are you going to start ahead of Massie?

I do agree that Grasu is toast, however.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Mikefive wrote:

Thought?

Man... When it comes to Massie, I think you're smoking something. He's the heaviest OL guy on the team outside of Rashad Coward. He can run block, but his pass blocking can be iffy at times. Not make the team?!?!? Are you kidding??? Who are you going to start ahead of Massie?

I do agree that Grasu is toast, however.
I think Massie makes the team. I didn’t say that he wouldn’t. I just said I didn’t think Grasu would make it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

alexwilkins wrote:All Leno has done is get better, and He's missed like 2 snaps since being drafted. LT is fine. Kush is on a one year deal, I think letting James be "redshirted" this year. I mean, he won't be 21 until week 2. He'll add weight, and get stronger. In 2019 Whitehair will move to his permanent spot at LG, and James will take over Center. As a precaution, I'd hold Kyle out all preseason. Just keep him in the gym. And Massie at RT. He's not THAT bad. But still. He can't be traded. He's in a contract year. We're paying him. We have to play him. Unless former Alabama TE-turned-OT Brandon Greene has a hell of a camp.
I think it’s someone like Greene, who is so raw, and so athletic, that Heistand could mold from the ground up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UOK
Site Admin

Seems like a really strange thing for CAA to fight so hard for. Kind of unfair to the Bears.
docc
Head Coach

UOK wrote:Seems like a really strange thing for CAA to fight so hard for. Kind of unfair to the Bears.
Roquan ?
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Seems like a really strange thing for CAA to fight so hard for. Kind of unfair to the Bears.
Trying to hijack the thread I see. :rtfm: :taunt:
UOK
Site Admin

Too many tabs open....
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Too many tabs open....
:toast:
docc
Head Coach

Yep..I had a forum I admin'd..often looking to clean up a mess..and replied to the wrong tab..

Just kiddin'.. :)
G08
Hall of Famer

Hey wab...

:taunt: :wink:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
malagabears
Journeyman

My bet and hope for the OL:

Leno-Whitehair-Daniels-Long-Massie

Enviado desde mi SM-T580 mediante Tapatalk
UOK
Site Admin

The only way that Daniels lines up at center this season is if:

[html]
<ol type="1">
<li>...Whitehair gets injured and Daniels hasn't already established himself as a quality starting Left Guard, or...</li>
<li>...Whitehair's shitty snaps cost the Bears a game or two, and/or lead to a Trubisky injury, or...</li>
<li>...Trubisky loses faith in Whitehair as his center and politics Nagy to give him reps with Daniels, or....</li>
<li>...Nagy overrides Trubisky's loyalty to Whitehair.</li>
</ol>
[/html]

Because honestly, the only reason I feel like Whitehair is starting center is because Nagy asked Mitch who he wants in front of him, and Mitch chose Whitehair.
EricTighe
MVP

1 and 2 are possibilities.

3. Trubisky hasn't proven a thing yet to dictate who plays and who doesn't.
4. If this is even a remote possibility then Nagy is domed to fail. No way a new coach allows a second year QB to say who starts and who doesn't.

I keep hearing and reading on how the Bears should start Daniels over Whitehair and move Whitehair back to his more natural position at Guard. So much so that I even read a piece that said Whitehairs bad snap caused Trubisky to get sacked in end zone leading to a safety. (My eyes aren't that bad yet. Perfect snap on that play) Could it be possible that Daniels is not ready yet and thus the reason he is not starting. The Bears would love to move Cody back to guard. That is the reason we drafted a center in the second round.

Trubisky hasn't proved a thing to be the voice of the Bears yet. But if all the reports are true he is getting closer to being that guy.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Those are all excellent points.
Bearfacts
MVP

Couple of comments;

Under Hiestad Leno is developing into a top shelf pass protector and his run blocking is much improved.

Massie will survive the year having improved under HH but the kid I want to see succeed is Rashard Coward. He could be another "Big Cat" Williams in the making and if he does that would go a long way toward minimizing the need to spend our top pick on an OT next spring. He's only 23 and Leno is just 27 and we'd be set at OT for a few years.

I can't say I agree with leaving Whitehair at OC in place of Daniels. I think it's plain that Daniels is a natural at OC and has even more upside than Cody. Moving Cody to LG, starting Daniels at OC, and having Kush back up all three interior OL positions gets the best players in their best positions with the least amount of disruption if one is hurt and Kush can step in wherever needed.
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:Hey wab...

:taunt: :wink:
YOU CAN’T MAKE ME LIKE HIM
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

James Daniels or Eric Kush? It’s still a competition at left guard for Bears

This stood out:
According to Pro Football Focus, Daniels has not allowed a sack, a quarterback hit or a hurry on 87 pass-blocking snaps — 80 of which have come at center — during the preseason.
Bearfacts
MVP

Kush has failed to earn a starting spot IMHO which is fine since he should be the frontline backup at LG, OC, and RG.

I would still prefer Daniels at OC but I'm thinking they'd like him to add some weight and functional strength. He's getting shoved around on run blocks a bit by bigger NTs like Grasu did. They have him listed at 295lbs and I'm guessing they'd like him to add 10-15lbs without him losing his speed and flexibility before making him an OC.

That's my guess and I think once it's done Daniels future is at OC and Whitehair's at LG.
wab
Mod

Bearfacts wrote:He's getting shoved around on run blocks a bit by bigger NTs like Grasu did.
Ummm....
Daniels has not allowed a sack, a quarterback hit or a hurry on 87 pass-blocking snaps — 80 of which have come at center
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Maybe this is semantics, but is there any OC who doesn't get shoved around a bit by bigger NTs?

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Bearfacts wrote:He's getting shoved around on run blocks a bit by bigger NTs like Grasu did.
Ummm....
Daniels has not allowed a sack, a quarterback hit or a hurry on 87 pass-blocking snaps — 80 of which have come at center
I heard the same thing from an analyst on THE SCORE. He was saying that Daniels was having issues getting leverage and re-anchoring. So I'm not sure who is right. The numbers don't lie, but...

What happens when things really get going? Anyone here want to take their all-22 and give us their armchair analysis?
Bearfacts
MVP

wab wrote:
Ummm....
Run blocks pardner. The rookie NT from KC waltzed him into the backfield more than once.

Pass blocking doesn't seem to be an issue for him and I think he's an ideal OL for a zone scheme but I'll also stand by what I said. I think they want him to add some bulk and muscle as well before moving him to OC for good. Somewhere in the 305-310 range and it'll be easy. The kid is only 20 years old and still growing.

He's gonna be a great OL wherever they decide to play him but he's still got some learning and growing to do.