Hall of Fame Game: Bears "lose" 17-16 to Ravens

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Perhaps the most interesting thing for me was what I didn't see in the game. On the one day at camp, I saw the Bears--particularly in the red zone--line up with 3 TEs many times. Often in the red zone, it was zero TEs. We rarely saw 2 TEs at all, much less 3. And I fairly commonly saw an interesting motion action, where a WR went horizontal behind the QB and then from behind the slot, turned to go behind the RB in a reverse action. Never saw that once in the game.

Saving for later.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
BlueAndOrangeDog
Practice Squad

Mikefive wrote:Perhaps the most interesting thing for me was what I didn't see in the game. On the one day at camp, I saw the Bears--particularly in the red zone--line up with 3 TEs many times. Often in the red zone, it was zero TEs. We rarely saw 2 TEs at all, much less 3. And I fairly commonly saw an interesting motion action, where a WR went horizontal behind the QB and then from behind the slot, turned to go behind the RB in a reverse action. Never saw that once in the game.

Saving for later.
TE Breakdown for HOF game:

1 TE.... 51 (Brown 25, Thompson 11, Sims 10, Shaheen 5)
2 TE.... 16 (Brown/Thompson 11, Shaheen/Sims 5)
0 TE..... 2 (they opened in this)
3 TE..... 1 (Brown/Shaheen/Sims 1)
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

and talking heads reported that the first 5 throws in redzone work today were to tight ends, in multiple sets. i'm not really sure how you can look at any one particular day when they're installing a whole new offense and draw any conclusions.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Also at this point in the year, you have to evaluate why you would keep certain WR's over others. Or even have a guy in your back pocket in case someone gets hurt.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:and talking heads reported that the first 5 throws in redzone work today were to tight ends, in multiple sets. i'm not really sure how you can look at any one particular day when they're installing a whole new offense and draw any conclusions.
Clearly that's fair. I only saw what they did those days. And for the record, the 3 TE stuff they ran on Friday wasn't seen on Monday. It does tell me that they're trying all extensions of the offense in practice to evaluate how well they do with it.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
malk
Head Coach

UOK wrote:1Q Summary:
  • Dion Sims is looking like shit.
  • Chase Daniel looks pedestrian as hell, but whatever.
Just because I haven't been around much over a busy summer...

$10,333,333 in cap space this year. Smdh.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
G08
Hall of Famer

The number of missed opportunities in this game drove me crazy (yes, I know it's preseason). That sack fumble on Bray, Daniel Brown was WIDE open in the endzone. That slow ass release of Bray didn't help (nor did his backside protection).

2 point conversion that could have won the game, the flat was open as was the late releasing eligible offensive lineman.

Oh well, learning phase of camp.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"