Preseason Week 1: Bears "lose" to Bengals 30-27

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:White's gonna make the roster. I don't know how he doesn't.

all he has to do is continue to have hands like feet and he will make the decision to cut him very easy
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Boris13c wrote: so, why wasn't the first team offense tasked to go back out until they could at least demonstrate they could put a drive together? and if Nagy is disappointed he only has 8 plays to make a judgement on, well hey dude, guess what? YOU control how many plays they got ... so are you questioning yourself?
You answered your own question:

Boris13c wrote: it is pre-season
Just breathe, man.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:so, why wasn't the first team offense tasked to go back out until they could at least demonstrate they could put a drive together?
Because they were playing without Jordan Howard, Allen Robinson, Taylor Gabriel and Tarik Cohen. And Kush was getting smashed by Geno Atkins.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:
Boris13c wrote:so, why wasn't the first team offense tasked to go back out until they could at least demonstrate they could put a drive together?
Because they were playing without Jordan Howard, Allen Robinson, Taylor Gabriel and Tarik Cohen. And Kush was getting smashed by Geno Atkins.
Yeah I saw that we were missing that many people then I wasnt worried as much, other than White dropping everything.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:

and to that I say, so what?

the players out there were the first string for that game, which means they played and practiced together as the first team unit which means them not having focus as Mitch pointed out is inexcusable ... because some of the guys out there were playing as an audition to be the top line second teamer at their respective positions ... and with that in mind, they should have been even more focused

making mistakes? it happens and can be learned from ... not being attentive enough and failing due to lack of focus is not where these guys should be

I blew off the HoF game and anything from that, but I find what happened in this game to be puzzling at best
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

At least White's routes didn't completely suck. He got quite a few reps if I'm not mistaken, hopefully that continues through the preseason.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

Unless Tyler Bray is dropping a 50 burger with 5th string players on the opposition, the masses will be unsettled.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I thought James Daniels was extremely impressive. He looked powerful, strong at the POA and super athletic. He got me excited and I think he 'll be the starting Center not too long. Whitehair will be your starting LG. I know Hiestand will be hesitant to start him too early but I do think Daniels will earn the starting Center spot eventually.

Was disappointed that Miller didn't get that many opportunities. I think they're trying to keep him a "surprise" to the NFL sort of like what Cohen did last year. Still, I wanted too see more of the offense and having only 8 plays to show for it falls squarely on the offense and not making any plays.

Kevin White dropping that 1st down pass was extremely disappointing. He doesn't look anything like what he did in his last year at WV. He doesn't seem to play with that swag or confidence. I feel like it's more mental with him than anything else because there's no excuse - he's big, fast and physically imposing yet he can't catch a routine pass? So frustrating.

I'm not really judging the team off of Preseason week 1 - I mean honestly how many Preseason week 1 winners in the history of football have shown to be great in the regular season. Or how many Preseason week 1 losers in the history of football have gone onto being a losing team in the regular season? It doesn't mean anything and it isn't a precursor of anything happening in the regular season. Just an example: the 1st team defense started Marcus Cooper - and he got destroyed. Typically in the regular season, it'd be Amukamara and he's 10x better than Cooper has ever been.

Let's not overreact too much. I think it's more about some individual performances, particularly the young talent. That's why it was exciting to see Daniels play so well.
Last edited by DaSuperfan on Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never Die Easy
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:
wab wrote:White, Cooper, Kush, and Timu (god help us if that guy is starting l) looked rough. James Daniels is a Center goddammit.
Absolutely correct
We have a bingo!
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

It's preseason. Calm down. You don't want the starters out there all day in the first real preseason game. I'm not counting the one with Baltimore.

You can't come anywhere close to judging the first team offense on one or two series.

I'm also no fan of Kevin White at all, but he had a drop and yeah that's brutal, but it's one play.

They need to get the reps in. Figure out who the marginal first stringers are. Who the second stringers are. Evaluate the rookies. Don't give away too much in terms of plays and capabilities.

And above all else, don't get injured.
Adipost
MVP

Depth at CB is very concerning. Also, absolutely no edge pressure besides Floyd.
BlueAndOrangeDog
Practice Squad

Adipost wrote:Depth at CB is very concerning. Also, absolutely no edge pressure besides Floyd.
I agree with the lack of Edge... there is no excuse for ignoring the second most important position on the team in both the draft and FA last year, then follow it up this year with just a few touch-ups at the position.

But I disagree with the lack of depth at CB. The problem is the lack of depth at S. Particularly when you consider that Fangio uses a 3rd S... not a 4th CB... when going to a dime. This means the 4th CB will not be playing defense unless there are injuries. And the Bears 4th (Cooper) while not very popular, has considerable starting experience and is still a notch above most teams 4th CB. Crevon LeBlanc at 5 also has some starting experience, and isn't bad for a 5, and is also the backup slot CB over Cooper. Best yet, all of these guys have experience in the system. They are considerably better than the depth we have had at the position for the last several years.

Jonathan Banks, Jacoby Glenn, Alan Ball, Al Louis Jean, all had to be relied on in games, and are all considerably worse than the depth at CB I just mentioned.

At Safety, the depth was so bad last year they had to pull Chris Prosinki off the scrap heap, and stick him in the game immediately for Fangio's 3S sets in dime and heavy nickle. They lost a backup in Quentin Demps and haven't replaced him with anyone. DHC is the 3rd safety right now meaning he'll be the one getting tested in games regularly, but he has some experience there. After that is Hall and Oates, er... I mean... Hall and Bush, and they have had 3 years to show us they don't belong on NFL rosters. One injury at the S position and they will be pulling Prosinski back off of the Subaru showroom floor.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

We'll have to see about edge. It's even more concerning when you consider that Floyd has missed several games each year.

I don't know that S is going to be that bad this year. Bush, DHC and Hall have all been better this preseason than we've ever seen from them in the past. Bush in particular.

UOK
Site Admin

I think Fitts, should he stay healthy, will be a quietly nifty tool by the end of the year. Guy has the athleticism and speed to get into the backfield, but once he's there he freezes up, takes a bad angle, etc. I think that stuff is easily fixed once he calms down and gets more and more game reps at full speed. Gotta stay healthy though.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I agree with everyone's concerns about our backup OL. Nobody has looked like they can even hang with the other teams' 1s. If we have an injury on the OL the Bears will be protecting the replacement with scheme for sure. On the other hand, the entire DT group looks good right now. That's going to be a really strong rotation with the opposing OL getting no easy reps.

It's hard to judge the DBs when they haven't watched tape and have no pass rush in front of them, but I can't help but think that Cooper still sucks.
xyt in the discord chats