Preseason Week 1: Bears "lose" to Bengals 30-27

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Knuckles
Player of the Month

Anyone know of a link to the live game? Plays here at 4am sat.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm seeing conflicting reports here... Is the game at 6pm CST or 7pm CST?

Keep in mind, the game is in Cincinnati and they operate on EST.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
UOK
Site Admin

6pm EST. I'll update the post.
G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:6pm EST. I'll update the post.
6pm CST

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote:
UOK wrote:6pm EST. I'll update the post.
6pm CST

Still waking up.
G08
Hall of Famer

Join us in the chatroom!!

Road, I moved some things around so I'll be there for the first half :headbang:
The best and easiest way to connect to the chat is with the mibbit link here.

http://widget00.mibbit.com/?settings=e8 ... onstershow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's always the real chat program option like mIRC or IceChat. That would involve installing a program and learning how to operate it. IceChat I believe is still free but mIRC I believe costs $20 for a lifetime subscription. Point either of those programs to irc.starfyre.org and type in /join #monstershow.

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

First half... Kevin White doesn't need to be starting.

I decided to take a page out of the book of wab... my idol ;-) ... and focus on every play by James Daniels. I was shocked. He was downright dominant. He was successful on nearly every play. He did have one play that was a standoff. One play where he was kind of wandering around looking for someone to block. And one play, he turned and pushed his opponent 2 yards to the right, but his guy slid a couple yards downfield and went around him to make the tackle in the far side A gap after a 2-3 yard gain. He was downright stout in pass blocking, never getting pushed back. I am very impressed. This guy is going to be starting sooner rather than later.:thumbsup:

Deondre Hall had a bunch of nice tackles in the 2nd quarter.

Are you kidding me Cincinnati? A fake punt in your first preseason game? You must be kidding. :ashamed:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
beardownunder
Rookie

Shaheen making some plays was the highlight.

Get James Daniel's up with the starters. Put him at C! Just do it! Whitehair's snaps weren't even on target and Kush got blown up by Geno, which I guess happens.

Kevin White and Marcus Cooper were the real weak points. Neither should even make the 53. White is just a bust, move on. Cooper got burnt consistently on the outside so they moved him inside with the 2's - trying to see if he can be a back up nickel and he can't play there.
Middleguard
MVP

But can Daniels shotgun snap? Certainly, no one else on the Bears can.
wab
Mod

White, Cooper, Kush, and Timu (god help us if that guy is starting l) looked rough. James Daniels is a Center goddammit.
G08
Hall of Famer

Once Kevin White dropped that gimmie that hit him right in the mitts, it reaffirmed to me why I hated him as much as I did during the draft process. I'll still pull for him because he's had the worst luck in the world, but sheesh bro... give me something.

Agreed on Daniels, I thought he looked stout and powerful at the POA... I don't care where he plays at this point so long as he's iOL. I'd imagine his reps with the 1s go up this week and he should, if all this continues, take Kush's job at LG.

Adam Shaheen, holy hell does he look better this year compared to last. Smoother routes, body doesn't look nearly as tight/stiff, and he showed some excellent hands. I'm very impressed.

Brown and Braunecker looked good as well... suffice to say TE depth may be a strength for this team.

docc
Head Coach

Early Peeseason..no game planning..vanilla O/D calls.. Have no idea how I could be making any judgements on who to play and cut..after this scrimmage..
..should cut Trubisky..and start Bray ? And Long..cut the Bum.. Really..? Why not bench the entire starters..the "scrubs" out produced them..

It's an EXHIBITION..a glorified scrimmage.. Nothing to judge here..maybe third Peeseason game..but a little premature ejaculating..I think..

I've seen 60 Peeseasons.. Hell I saw the College All Stars against Championship NFL teams..
Just don't get guys hurt..don't show the tendencies we will use..and limit stupid penaties//

Take a look around the league today..same..
A glorified $$ exhibition for the league. I am confident the coaches no a LOT more about what's going on..than us..
A famous and excellent actor when asked by a new fellow what to concentrate on//
"Remember your lines and don't bump into the furniture",,

1985 Bears Peeseason

Tm W L Pts Pts PtDif
NFC East
Dallas Cowboys 4 0 89 50 39
New York Giants 5 0 119 87 32
Washington Redskins 4 0 88 66 22
Philadelphia Eagles 3 1 85 73 12
St. Louis Cardinals 2 2 44 65 -21
NFC Central
Minnesota Vikings 3 1 80 83 -3
Detroit Lions 1 2 60 75 -15
Chicago Bears 1 3 74 63 11
Sage advice..
beardownunder
Rookie

G08 wrote:Once Kevin White dropped that gimmie that hit him right in the mitts, it reaffirmed to me why I hated him as much as I did during the draft process. I'll still pull for him because he's had the worst luck in the world, but sheesh bro... give me something.

Agreed on Daniels, I thought he looked stout and powerful at the POA... I don't care where he plays at this point so long as he's iOL. I'd imagine his reps with the 1s go up this week and he should, if all this continues, take Kush's job at LG.

Adam Shaheen, holy hell does he look better this year compared to last. Smoother routes, body doesn't look nearly as tight/stiff, and he showed some excellent hands. I'm very impressed.

Brown and Braunecker looked good as well... suffice to say TE depth may be a strength for this team.
We might have 3 or 4 TE's who can go make catches - I like Brown, not sure about Braunecker but if none of them can reliably block then really you're just playing big receivers. So hopefully we see more of Brown and Shaheen blocking.
Sugashane
Player of the Month

I want to see Brown at the X or Z. Honestly his route running looked sharp and he might be able to split out and get a few reps out there and then we can toss Gentry and Fowler aside. IIRC he plays quite a bit of special teams. I don't mind that he won't be able to stretch the field, he seems to do really well in the short to intermediate game. The other bonus is the advantage he gives in the running game compared to Bellamy, White, etc.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:White, Cooper, Kush, and Timu (god help us if that guy is starting l) looked rough. James Daniels is a Center goddammit.
Absolutely correct
beardownbilly
Journeyman

mmmc_35 wrote:
wab wrote:White, Cooper, Kush, and Timu (god help us if that guy is starting l) looked rough. James Daniels is a Center goddammit.
Absolutely correct
Totally agree with this.

Right now I think if I could get any kind of draft pick back for White I'd take it, as much for his sake as anything else, I think a new start could be good for him.
UOK
Site Admin

If Corey Coleman was gotten for a 7th, you're not getting ANYTHING for White.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

on the positive side with White, he stayed healthy enough to drop a first down pass that hit him right in the hands

I've been rooting for him to at least show something after all the injuries he's been battling ... but for him to f-up on that pass shows he might simply not be mentally able to handle the pro level game if routine plays are a 50-50 proposition for him

I don't expect him to show any better efforts at this point and look for the Bears to bite the bullet and jettison him after he fails playing with the scrubs in pre-season game 4
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

'It was sloppy:' Mitch Trubisky and the Bears' 1st-team offense ineffective in preseason loss
Mitch Trubisky’s first game action in a stripped-down version of the Bears’ new scheme was a dud early against the Bengals in a 30-27 exhibition loss Thursday.

An eight-play reality check for the first-string offense netted minus-1 yard, leaving it with few, if any, positives to take back to training camp.

“It was sloppy,” Trubisky said. “Some mental errors — definitely didn’t execute the way we wanted to, and definitely it was surprising because that’s not how it was going in practice. We’ve just got to come out mentally sharper.”

The menu of miscues included blocking breakdowns, a dropped pass, a high shotgun snap, a sack and a holding penalty.

“Offensively it seemed like maybe there was one guy on every play that had an error,” Nagy said. “And they learn from that. And so you get to see that you need 11 people doing the right assignment, and they’ll grow from that.”

Trubisky completed 2 of 4 passes for 4 yards and failed to sustain the momentum he generated with two sharp practices earlier in the week.

“Nothing extraordinary but nothing bad,” Nagy said of the second-year quarterback. “He’s going to have eight snaps to take a look at ... but it’s hard to judge off of eight plays.”
so Mitch is wondering why the offense didn't have enough focus,and Nagy responds with 8 plays not enough to judge

so, why wasn't the first team offense tasked to go back out until they could at least demonstrate they could put a drive together? and if Nagy is disappointed he only has 8 plays to make a judgement on, well hey dude, guess what? YOU control how many plays they got ... so are you questioning yourself?

I know I know, it is pre-season, things are not all in place yet, blah bah blah ... but these quotes trouble me and I sincerely hope they are not a precursor to a season of excuses and half efforts
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

White's gonna make the roster. I don't know how he doesn't. This is my speculated 53 and there's still some open spots unless my math is wrong.

QB

Trubisky
Daniel

HB

Howard
Cohen
Cunningham

WR

Robinson
Miller
Gabriel
Bellamy
White
Wims/Gentry

TE

Sims
T. Burton
Shaheen
Brown/Braunecker
M. Burton (FB/TE)

OL

Long
Whitehair
Massie
Daniels
Leno Jr
Watford
Kush
Sowell

DL

Hicks
Goldman
Robertson-Harris
Bullard
Nichols

LB

Trevathan
Floyd
Kwiatkoski
Smith
Iyiegbuniwe
Lynch
Irving
Fitts

S
Amos
Bush
Jackson
Houston-Carson

CB

Fuller
Amukamara
Callahan
LeBlanc
McManis

K

Parkey

P

O'Connell

LS

Scales
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:White's gonna make the roster. I don't know how he doesn't.

all he has to do is continue to have hands like feet and he will make the decision to cut him very easy
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Boris13c wrote: so, why wasn't the first team offense tasked to go back out until they could at least demonstrate they could put a drive together? and if Nagy is disappointed he only has 8 plays to make a judgement on, well hey dude, guess what? YOU control how many plays they got ... so are you questioning yourself?
You answered your own question:

Boris13c wrote: it is pre-season
Just breathe, man.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:so, why wasn't the first team offense tasked to go back out until they could at least demonstrate they could put a drive together?
Because they were playing without Jordan Howard, Allen Robinson, Taylor Gabriel and Tarik Cohen. And Kush was getting smashed by Geno Atkins.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:
Boris13c wrote:so, why wasn't the first team offense tasked to go back out until they could at least demonstrate they could put a drive together?
Because they were playing without Jordan Howard, Allen Robinson, Taylor Gabriel and Tarik Cohen. And Kush was getting smashed by Geno Atkins.
Yeah I saw that we were missing that many people then I wasnt worried as much, other than White dropping everything.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:

and to that I say, so what?

the players out there were the first string for that game, which means they played and practiced together as the first team unit which means them not having focus as Mitch pointed out is inexcusable ... because some of the guys out there were playing as an audition to be the top line second teamer at their respective positions ... and with that in mind, they should have been even more focused

making mistakes? it happens and can be learned from ... not being attentive enough and failing due to lack of focus is not where these guys should be

I blew off the HoF game and anything from that, but I find what happened in this game to be puzzling at best
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

At least White's routes didn't completely suck. He got quite a few reps if I'm not mistaken, hopefully that continues through the preseason.

wab
Mod

Unless Tyler Bray is dropping a 50 burger with 5th string players on the opposition, the masses will be unsettled.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I thought James Daniels was extremely impressive. He looked powerful, strong at the POA and super athletic. He got me excited and I think he 'll be the starting Center not too long. Whitehair will be your starting LG. I know Hiestand will be hesitant to start him too early but I do think Daniels will earn the starting Center spot eventually.

Was disappointed that Miller didn't get that many opportunities. I think they're trying to keep him a "surprise" to the NFL sort of like what Cohen did last year. Still, I wanted too see more of the offense and having only 8 plays to show for it falls squarely on the offense and not making any plays.

Kevin White dropping that 1st down pass was extremely disappointing. He doesn't look anything like what he did in his last year at WV. He doesn't seem to play with that swag or confidence. I feel like it's more mental with him than anything else because there's no excuse - he's big, fast and physically imposing yet he can't catch a routine pass? So frustrating.

I'm not really judging the team off of Preseason week 1 - I mean honestly how many Preseason week 1 winners in the history of football have shown to be great in the regular season. Or how many Preseason week 1 losers in the history of football have gone onto being a losing team in the regular season? It doesn't mean anything and it isn't a precursor of anything happening in the regular season. Just an example: the 1st team defense started Marcus Cooper - and he got destroyed. Typically in the regular season, it'd be Amukamara and he's 10x better than Cooper has ever been.

Let's not overreact too much. I think it's more about some individual performances, particularly the young talent. That's why it was exciting to see Daniels play so well.
Last edited by DaSuperfan on Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never Die Easy
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:
Absolutely correct
We have a bingo!

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

It's preseason. Calm down. You don't want the starters out there all day in the first real preseason game. I'm not counting the one with Baltimore.

You can't come anywhere close to judging the first team offense on one or two series.

I'm also no fan of Kevin White at all, but he had a drop and yeah that's brutal, but it's one play.

They need to get the reps in. Figure out who the marginal first stringers are. Who the second stringers are. Evaluate the rookies. Don't give away too much in terms of plays and capabilities.

And above all else, don't get injured.