Javon Wims Thread

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

GSH
MVP

Obviously we've only seen the HOF game, but he looked good and reports from practice are encouraging.

Solid route running and hands, good size and speed too.

So, has Ryan Pace got the steal of the draft in what was already considered a very strong off-season? Where do you see him on the depth chart? Does Tanner Gentry take a seat back in the practise squad changing room in a month?

Im rooting for the kid and edit: I sort of see him as the alshon to AR 12's Marshall when we had them together, but that role likely goes to Miller.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

I have him absolutely making the final roster. He's number 6 of 6, at wide out, but he has a huge positive. Which is he knows how to use his large frame. Could he be the next Marques Colston? I say yes.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

He did what he was supposed to do in the HOF game...'dominate' lesser talent. Lets see him fight through a starting CB's press, create separation and make a tough catch in front of a tough safety that will rock his world.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

Atkins&Rebel wrote:He did what he was supposed to do in the HOF game...'dominate' lesser talent. Lets see him fight through a starting CB's press, create separation and make a tough catch in front of a tough safety that will rock his world.
I guess I would counter with: He dominated guys that were considered the same level of talent as him. So by that logic, he exceeded expectations. To your point, he needs to show that he can perform similarly against guys who are considered superior in talent.

Still, I'm not sure when people always get ahead of themselves with these guys.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:Still, I'm not sure when people always get ahead of themselves with these guys.
I think it's a mix of NFL hipster-ism ("I saw his talent before anyone else did") and irrational hope of a desperately cheap star talent to be the blue-collar savior via hard work and sacrifice.
BlueAndOrangeDog
Practice Squad

UOK wrote:
wab wrote:Still, I'm not sure when people always get ahead of themselves with these guys.
I think it's a mix of NFL hipster-ism ("I saw his talent before anyone else did") and irrational hope of a desperately cheap star talent to be the blue-collar savior via hard work and sacrifice.
"Daniel Braverman is the solution in the slot... and at PR."
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

He had a nice game against the Walmart guys. It's encouraging. But to say he runs "really good routes" is a stretch.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

wab wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:He did what he was supposed to do in the HOF game...'dominate' lesser talent. Lets see him fight through a starting CB's press, create separation and make a tough catch in front of a tough safety that will rock his world.
I guess I would counter with: He dominated guys that were considered the same level of talent as him. So by that logic, he exceeded expectations. To your point, he needs to show that he can perform similarly against guys who are considered superior in talent.

Still, I'm not sure when people always get ahead of themselves with these guys.
I agree he exceeded the former expectations most fans had of him going into the game...which were probably no expectations. But now that he caught a few balls against lesser overall talent in the 3rd and 4th quarter, the desire to elevate him is strong in this fan base. My comment is aimed at those "anointing him" before we see him be a solid contributor against NFL starters.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
GSH
MVP

Mikefive wrote:He had a nice game against the Walmart guys. It's encouraging. But to say he runs "really good routes" is a stretch.
I mean, if you're quoting my original post, what I actually said was "solid route running" which is less of a stretch and just calling it how I saw it.
G08
Hall of Famer

I thought he looked like an NFL WR, especially with his ability to contort his body and make touch catches.

Lonnnnnnnnnnnngggggg way to go, though.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Adipost
MVP

His issue is route running and getting open. So they put him in the slot the entire game and had him run the most simple routes. 3 or 4 of his catches were 1 on 1 against a linebacker.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Adipost wrote:His issue is route running and getting open. So they put him in the slot the entire game and had him run the most simple routes. 3 or 4 of his catches were 1 on 1 against a linebacker.
True. But he still demonstrated some nice body control, tracking ability, and hands. Definitely a kid we can groom up.
G08
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:His issue is route running and getting open. So they put him in the slot the entire game and had him run the most simple routes. 3 or 4 of his catches were 1 on 1 against a linebacker.
Oh I missed you Adi
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

GSH wrote:
Mikefive wrote:He had a nice game against the Walmart guys. It's encouraging. But to say he runs "really good routes" is a stretch.
I mean, if you're quoting my original post, what I actually said was "solid route running" which is less of a stretch and just calling it how I saw it.
Fair point. I took liberties with the quote. Don't think I was far off though.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:
Oh I missed you Adi
Missed you too, babe. :toast:
GSH
MVP

He's ballin out
IotaNet
MVP

GSH wrote:He's ballin out
Yes he is!
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
malagabears
Journeyman

Kid is gonna surprise a lot of folks. I hope he makes the squad.

Enviado desde mi SM-T580 mediante Tapatalk
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Wims had some really nice catches. The one in the back of the end zone was great. But the one that impressed me was the over the shoulder catch when he was even with the DB. He let that ball travel all the way, with out tipping off the DB that he was about to catch it. Pretty smooth.

Wims better make the team, because he'll never get to the PS.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

I don't see how he doesn't make the team personally. Like the announcers said you can teach special teams. Wims should be on team before Bellamy. Should go Robinson, Miller, Gabriel, White, Wims, then idk at that point.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

bearsfaninaz wrote:I don't see how he doesn't make the team personally. Like the announcers said you can teach special teams. Wims should be on team before Bellamy. Should go Robinson, Miller, Gabriel, White, Wims, then idk at that point.
If Bellamy makes the team over Wims, I will be really, really pissed.
Sugashane
Player of the Month

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
bearsfaninaz wrote:I don't see how he doesn't make the team personally. Like the announcers said you can teach special teams. Wims should be on team before Bellamy. Should go Robinson, Miller, Gabriel, White, Wims, then idk at that point.
I think both make the team because -
a) White is easy to root for but no one can trust his health
b) DHC is a fringe player who just might have pissed the team off enough to drop him - that would open up Bellamy's spot as a STer/garbage time WR
c) Can't get rid of John Fox's odor as easy as that. We want to, but just can't.
docc
Head Coach

Wims needs to be on roster..he'll get signed with another team
Last edited by docc on Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

Encouraging. He looked really good out there today. If its between him and Bellamy I'll take Wims.

We have lots of good options at WR.
Umbali
MVP

He is worth investing in. Looked great today
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Bearfacts
MVP

Wims has been a find. Had he played his college ball anywhere else than Georgia and with a top passer he might have been a top WR prospect. Nice scouting by the Bears regional guy and a nice pick by Pace. In days of old we would have passed on him due to being set at WR but here is where Pace's BPA approach pays off at times. He got a kid who might otherwise have been a mid round pick in the 7th.

He did make a couple of terrific catches including the TD catch. And I agree that we probably can't risk trying to sneak him onto the PS. If Nagy can shift some depth at TE or the OL or RB to the PS there's room for Wims and Bellamy. I'm gonna be more interested in whether both Bellamy and McManis make it.

IMHO Wims can be what we've always wanted White to become. True White has more top end speed but how often has he ever used it? As a rookie Wims looks more savvy than White does as a 4 year pro. I like the idea of giving White another chance but no matter what it's 50/50 at best he'll be re-signed after this season and Wims should have acclimated fully by seasons end.

After all these years we're finally in a good place at WR. Now, imagine how much better this team might have done under Lovie if OL and WRs weren't after thoughts we could draft late or bring in as bargain basement UFAs.
malagabears
Journeyman

I agree with a lot of the observations. He showed some ability to seperate after the catch and some sneaky speed. Also showed he has some good hands. Great game for a 7th rounder. Quite a steal if he makes it as the 5th/6th receiver.

Bearfacts
MVP

malagabears wrote:I agree with a lot of the observations. He showed some ability to seperate after the catch and some sneaky speed. Also showed he has some good hands. Great game for a 7th rounder. Quite a steal if he makes it as the 5th/6th receiver.

Buenos dias hermano Jim.

Nice win eh? Sending you an email in a bit after this cup of coffee kicks in. :wave:
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
This.

If Wims didn't earn a roster spot after yesterday I don't know what he has to do.
jamus34
Journeyman

The Marshall Plan wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
This.

If Wims didn't earn a roster spot after yesterday I don't know what he has to do.
I hear nude photos of the GM in a compromising position does wonders for guys careers nowadays :thumbsup: