WEEK 1 // Bears lose 24-23 vs. Rodgers/Cobb

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

malk
Head Coach

Ok, so I'm not as pissed as I was earlier but good good I'm still pissed!

1. Sims needs to go. Hands of stone wasting $1.6m of cap space. I know it isn't going to happen but it bloody should.

2. I'm officially worried about Trubisky. I know, I know. It's too soon and I'm certainly not writing him off but his accuracy is problematic. I saw lots of overthrows last season when not under massive pressure and it came again in this game. I think it might just be inexperience, I hope it's that but I'll be paying attention.

3. Nagy better learn what he has in Jordan Howard soon. The offseason saw a few fans speculate on swapping Howard for better fits for the scheme. No. Your scheme better damn adapt to find a way to utilise a back with his yards per carry.

4. For the love of God, put Whitehair at OG.

5. The holding, the holding!

6. We're giving Rodgers and the Packers too much credit. In a sense it might be comforting to suggest that we've been beaten by all world AR again but the 75 yard TD was a gift and an absolute gimmie interception was dropped. Plus the 1st touchdown was a joke, this clip on NFL.com shows really damn clearly both the push off on Fuller and the stupidly obvious holding on Lynch. I'm annoyed enough at this loss without giving the damn Packers praise they don't need!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

That throw and catch was ridiculous though. If you notice he planted just fine on the left leg when he threw that tater.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

OK, OK. Mods. Time to put this one to bed. I say lock the fucking thread, and bury it.

Someone throw the Seahawks game up, and let's put this bullshit behind us.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

We can make lots of excuses for that game, and a lot of them are legitimate.

The conditioning really bothered me. I understand, workload plus time without rest equals fatigue. However collectively the team didn't seem nearly as conditioned as the Packers.
LacertineForest
MVP

What a gut punch. I had trouble sleeping last night - kept tossing and turning, thinking about what was and what could have been.

But without rehashing what has already been said and beaten like the dead horse that is basically anyone who lines up across from Khalil Mack, I awoke today with mostly optimistic feelings about this team and the direction they are headed.

I think the Packers could be in serious trouble if they roll Rodgers out against Minnesota next week. He seems a little like Cutler in that he's got some durability issues, and they're really showing as he ages. The contract he signed this year could really work to the Bears' advantage over time since they have so much guaranteed money and he could miss a lot of time due to injury. Not that I really want that to happen - I think wishing injury on people is shitty - I'm just pointing out that I think it's a very real possibility given his recent track record.

Anyway, I am excited to see what Da Bears look like next week and as the season progresses.
Bearfacts
MVP

alexwilkins wrote:Fucking screens. When they work, its fine, but I hate them. That turn around crap when Turbo lost five yards. That's like the epitome of a college play. The offense stalled on a lot of drives in the second half, but the one that irks me the most was late in the the game. They actually made it to the redzone. 2:47 left. 3rd and 1 at the GB14. I thought "Just give it to Jordan one more time, and move the sticks." But no. Did they not learn from the "Malcolm Butler Play"? Some of the play calling was just absurd.

Sorry if Im reiterating stuff that was said already. I needed to vent.
Neither Howard or Cohen were used in the running game enough and if you're gonna throw on 3 and 1 at that spot you better know you have high 90% chance of getting it done which is precisely what Rodgers can do. Otherwise you run your big dog behind your two best run blockers or run a lead play to Howard to draw the DL and LB and make a quick pitch to Cohen and let him take it to the edge and go one on one with a DB.

Huge error in play calling there. Even a failed run takes time off the clock and leaves GB 86 yards to go. Three points was useless then because it takes a TD to win either way.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Where were the targets to Burton, Miller and Robinson?? Robinson was targeted in the 1st half but was non-existent till the end of the 4th quarter. The lack of targets to Burton and Miller infuriate me more than anything - they were supposed to be utilized quite a bit in the passing game and I think it was a huge mistake to not dial up some plays for them.
Never Die Easy
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:OK, OK. Mods. Time to put this one to bed. I say lock the fucking thread, and bury it.

Agreed.

The windshield is much bigger than the rear view mirror for a reason.

Onto the Seahawks.
MoFugger
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote:We can make lots of excuses for that game, and a lot of them are legitimate.

The conditioning really bothered me. I understand, workload plus time without rest equals fatigue. However collectively the team didn't seem nearly as conditioned as the Packers.
I don't move on until Tuesday.
skamanfrank
Journeyman

The Marshall Plan wrote: The windshield is much bigger than the rear view mirror for a reason.
Ooooohhh, that's cheesey, but I like it!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:That throw and catch was ridiculous though. If you notice he planted just fine on the left leg when he threw that tater.
The catch was nice, but that throw was absolutely spectacular when you consider the guy couldn't do crap with one leg. As much as I hate to say it, that's hall of fame stuff right there. I hope everyone can appreciate that, even if he's the enemy.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

He's a legend for a reason.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the first half of the game was a dream come true and everything we could have hoped for ... the second half was an utter nightmare but everything as we probably pretty much expected

Aaron. Fucking. Rodgers

even on 1 leg, he remains the BearKiller
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Can a moderator please shut down this discussion?

I think we should focus on the Seahawks.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Keep it open, let the carcass bleed out, or it will just resurrect in other threads.
UOK
Site Admin

I'm not gonna lock it just yet. Already a new game thread up, people. Move along.
Bearfacts
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:OK, OK. Mods. Time to put this one to bed. I say lock the fucking thread, and bury it.

Ha ha, my personal rule of thumb is I look back through Wednesday and on Thursday I begin to look forward although I do admit under Fox I sometimes violated that since there was little to look forward to.

We've said about all there is to say about specific player and coaching failures and by now I would guess the players and coaches have also reviewed their respective failures in great detail via game film.

Today and tomorrow should be devoted to installing a game plan to beat Seattle. No sense worrying about GB 'til our next matchup. We should win this next game so they need to focus only on that.

And we should probably be doing that as well.
G08
Hall of Famer

I think I've watched this game 5 times now, focusing on different aspects of the offense/defense.

My quick conclusion? The offense needs more reps together, Kush needs to be replaced, and Jordan Howard/Allen Robinson should be getting the most touches. Defensively, our corners may not be worth the contracts they were paid, Akiem Hicks may have a lingering knee injury all season, and Khalil Mack is a fucking monster.

I think week 6 (first game after the bye week) you'll see this team hit its stride.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I think I've watched this game 5 times now, focusing on different aspects of the offense/defense.

My quick conclusion? The offense needs more reps together, Kush needs to be replaced, and Jordan Howard/Allen Robinson should be getting the most touches. Defensively, our corners may not be worth the contracts they were paid, Akiem Hicks may have a lingering knee injury all season, and Khalil Mack is a fucking monster.

I think week 6 (first game after the bye week) you'll see this team hit its stride.

I watched the first half 3 times just to try to wash the end result out of my head ... didn't work, but it was worth a shot
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
GSH
MVP

someone on reddit made a good point that sort of helped me get perspective.

"if you missed the game but only checked the score the next morning, you'd probably be kinda stoked it was a big improvement on what you were really expecting." and i dont think he's wrong.

onwards.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

GSH wrote:someone on reddit made a good point that sort of helped me get perspective.

"if you missed the game but only checked the score the next morning, you'd probably be kinda stoked it was a big improvement on what you were really expecting." and i dont think he's wrong.

onwards.
You are absolutely right. It's what I told myself before the game. Just make it competitive, and don't get blown out. Show promise.

The problem: They showed so much fucking promise in the first 30 minutes, it was IMPOSSIBLE not to elevate your hopes. Only to have them come crashing down at the hands of a one-legged Aaron fucking Rodgers.

Yes. You and the Reddit guy are absolutely right, and it was even the result I had predicted. It just sucked the way it unfolded.
Middleguard
MVP

Here are the accuracy ratings of your week 1 score predictions:
14 DaSuperfan
18 skamanfrank
26 Mr.Irrelevant
32 crueltyabc
38 Mikefive
42 dickbutkus97
54 Middleguard
74 mmmc_35
104 Suave Craig Conroy
114 GSH
122 ramentaschen
146 Boris13c
182 wab
186 Bears Whiskey Nut
224 UOK
294 Knuckles
338 The Marshall Plan / malk
488 malagabears
536 HurricaneBear
554 Bearfanuk
2814 MoFugger*
The following predictions were duplicates of predictions posted earlier (get your predictions in early). They will still count in the overall scores. Note that The Marshall Plan and malk were able to tie. That is because they had different predictions that scored the same.
14 Nanky
14 britbear
38 BearButtseks
42 G08
42 WagonForce
114 Bryfx

*Will not count in this week's average because of negative score prediction. Will not count in overall score unless required to meet the 9-prediction minimum. Remember, I suggested making a prediction from the heart and then another from the head to count in the scoring.
JMHJD2017
Rookie

The packers are gonna burn in hell for what they did.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Those cheese eating sonsabitches are a mouse fart from 0-2 at home. Lucky to be 1-0-1.