For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

He's, uh, large.

wab
Mod

UOK wrote:He's, uh, large.

I’ve been looking for one of him standing next to Floyd but can’t find one.
Bearfacts
MVP

You know one of the things I'm enjoying most about getting Mack is this.

#Packers WR Randall Cobb on Khalil Mack: "I thought he was coming here. I thought I was going to wake up and find out we got him.

With two 2019 1st round picks I'm sure GB felt they were in the drivers seat so I can only imagine the looks on a few faces Saturday morning when this news hit the cheese telegraph. I spoke with a few friends up that way and some had this built up as another Reggie White kinda score that would bring their defense back to prominence to help Rodgers run out his career with another SB or two. I said it must have felt like losing an erection at the most critical moment. :ashamed: :rofl:

And they were not at all happy to lose him to the Bears especially after we matched Fuller's deal some thought was a cap killer. Guess they were wrong about that too but this is twice we schtupped them in one offseason. God I love it.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Just heard on the Hoge and Jahns podcast that Kahlil Mack Bears jerseys are currently number 5 in jersey sales for the entire preseason. (Their voicemail line is priceless. :-).)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Something I was thinking about regarding the draft picks we gave up to get Mack, and the genius of the trade (by Pace).

--Next year's #1 was for Mack. We were going to draft an edge rusher anyway, so instead we went out and got a proven commodity.
--2020's 1st round draft pick (if everything goes to plan) will be a low draft pick. Mid 20's or even low 30's :D . We got a 2nd back from Oakland, who is in the middle of a re-build. So their 2nd round pick in 2020 should be in the top 10. Therefore, effectively, Pace didn't give away a 1st in 2020, he traded down about 10-12 spots.

Everyone is talking about draft capital. Pace has confidence in his team that they are going to make this deal even better by winning 12-13 games in 2019.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Per my post above. Some of the Execs and scouts are saying the same thing. What was Oakland thinking?

Mack trade
Bearfacts
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Per my post above. Some of the Execs and scouts are saying the same thing. What was Oakland thinking?

Mack trade
It was good "horse trading" on Paces part.

GB had two 2019 picks to give and thought they were in but for whatever reason Oakland was hung up on the Bears picks coming earlier even though one was in 2020. I'm not all that sure that'll prove accurate but until the trade most had us winning just 4-5 games and GB as SB contender.

With Mack they may well have been but the Bears with Mack have completely flipped the tables and some have us ranked just two spots lower in the power rankings. By 2020 I think that will have reversed and our 2020 first won't be all that much different than Oakland's second which we scored for a 2019 6th and a 2020 3rd. Pretty slick.

So what bothers GB more? That we got Mack or that they felt they had made a better offer and still lost?

Maybe Reggie McKenzie has some issues with GB since he once turned down their GM job. He was with them for 18 years before he took the Oakland gig so maybe he developed a grudge or two along the way. Who knows?
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Per my post above. Some of the Execs and scouts are saying the same thing. What was Oakland thinking?

Mack trade

GB had two 2019 picks to give and thought they were in but for whatever reason Oakland was hung up on the Bears picks coming earlier even though one was in 2020. I'm not all that sure that'll prove accurate but until the trade most had us winning just 4-5 games and GB as SB contender.

With Mack they may well have been but the Bears with Mack have completely flipped the tables and some have us ranked just two spots lower in the power rankings. By 2020 I think that will have reversed and our 2020 first won't be all that much different than Oakland's second which we scored for a 2019 6th and a 2020 3rd. Pretty slick.

So what bothers GB more? That we got Mack or that they felt they had made a better offer and still lost?

Maybe Reggie McKenzie has some issues with GB since he once turned down their GM job. He was with them for 18 years before he took the Oakland gig so maybe he developed a grudge or two along the way. Who knows?
Rumor has it that the Rams were offering a huge package for Mack, and the Raiders comment was “your picks will be too low.” Meaning that their record will be too good. I think that the Raiders were hedging their bets with the Bears, assuming that the 2019 pick will be relatively high (top 10). I don’t think it’s going to work out that way though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bearfacts
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Bearfacts wrote:

Mack trade

Rumor has it that the Rams were offering a huge package for Mack, and the Raiders comment was “your picks will be too low.” Meaning that their record will be too good. I think that the Raiders were hedging their bets with the Bears, assuming that the 2019 pick will be relatively high (top 10). I don’t think it’s going to work out that way though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd read the same thing. Apparently Oakland doesn't feel the addition of Mack to an already top ten defense and all of the additions on offense will improve our record much. I'll be shocked in that 2019 pick is a top ten pick.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I have to defend Oakland a bit here. The author of that article seems to think that getting 2 #1s was a given. But talk is cheap, even if it's from former NFL execs. Did anybody actually offer that? Maybe the Rams did, but to say their picks were too low does make good sense from a value perspective. Because--particularly with the rookie cap--R1 picks are getting good players for a relatively cheap price (at least you assume so, relying on your player personnel dept.), teams don't like to trade #1s AND pay a big contract as it amounts to paying twice for the same player. And in this case, you're talking about a historically massive contract for a non-QB. So despite Mack being a transcendent player, it's not surprising that interested teams weren't willing to pay not twice, but 3x by trading 2 #1s. The Bears offer was the best one on the table when Oakland was ready to make the deal, so they took it.

Now the criticism of the deal timing is certainly debatable, however.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bearfacts
MVP

Oakland DC also speaks to why Mack was traded.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles ... n=20180907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vic Tafur
‏Verified account @VicTafur

Guenther said it was a case if you keep Mack, “you lose seven other players” later

I don't know over what time frame he's talking about but I think here is a classic example of how one team hasn't managed their cap nearly as well as another.

Not only did we re-sign our two starting CBs longer term, we added two starting WRs, one starting TE, have locked in our LT, traded for and signed Mack to huge deal, and we still had cap to extend our young NT for four more years.

If their were power rankings for cap management we'd have to be near the top.
malk
Head Coach

Bearfacts wrote:Oakland DC also speaks to why Mack was traded.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles ... n=20180907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vic Tafur

Guenther said it was a case if you keep Mack, “you lose seven other players” later

I don't know over what time frame he's talking about but I think here is a classic example of how one team hasn't managed their cap nearly as well as another.

Not only did we re-sign our two starting CBs longer term, we added two starting WRs, one starting TE, have locked in our LT, traded for and signed Mack to huge deal, and we still had cap to extend our young NT for four more years.

I disagree, unless you're willing to suggest they should have let Derek Carr walk. If you look at the Raiders' roster there aren't any contracts that jump out as awful and, for example, the Osemele one is nicely put together. The issue is the utterly broken QB market.

That isn't to say I think the Raiders are doing a good or great job with their cap but if you give them an extra $15m to make the difference between Trubisky and Carr and they've got the space to sign Mack.

Their problem was a 4 year contract for Carr as a non 1st round pick and his injury in 2016. There isn't much else they could do.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Bearfacts
MVP

malk wrote:
Bearfacts wrote:Oakland DC also speaks to why Mack was traded.

Vic Tafur

I disagree, unless you're willing to suggest they should have let Derek Carr walk. If you look at the Raiders' roster there aren't any contracts that jump out as awful and, for example, the Osemele one is nicely put together. The issue is the utterly broken QB market.

That isn't to say I think the Raiders are doing a good or great job with their cap but if you give them an extra $15m to make the difference between Trubisky and Carr and they've got the space to sign Mack.

Their problem was a 4 year contract for Carr as a non 1st round pick and his injury in 2016. There isn't much else they could do.

I'm only basing my comments on what Guenther said not critiquing it as being right or wrong.

FWIW he must have believed that and although it's only a guess it's likely Gruden may as well.

He's been quoted as saying their offer to Mack didn't come near what the Bears offered. I think it's clear by now that although McKenzie is the GM it's Gruden whose controlling player personnel which is probably expected as well.
G08
Hall of Famer

Uh, I just heard a stat and I can't fucking believe it.

How many holding calls has Khalil Mack garnered this season on opposing offenses?

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Uh, I just heard a stat and I can't fucking believe it.

How many holding calls has Khalil Mack garnered this season on opposing offenses?

That's fucked up. Do you know how many times GB was holding yesterday, and it wasn't called? I believe it's safe to say it was about every 3rd or 4th play. I can't tell you how many times I was jumping up and down, screaming at the TV, HOLDING!! It was RIGHT in front of the referees, and it was crickets. Just bullshit.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Easy example, Mack was getting bear hugged on the butt sack.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

It's completely ludicrous to think the only holding call came against him in Week 4. I remember distinctly in that game he got tackled on a 4th down in the 4th quarter by their RT and no call was made. That extended the drive that ultimately led to the Bucs only TD of the day.

Mack gets held every game and for him to only garner one holding call is absolutely a joke and an indictment on the league's ability to effectively officiate games consistently.
Never Die Easy
UOK
Site Admin

It wouldn't be a stretch to say Mack is held on nearly every play, but holding is so open to interpretation anymore.

Was a lot easier to call the shit when uniforms were actually loose uniforms and not merely material stretched to the breaking point over their pads.
BR0D1E86
MVP

I think a video montage of Mack getting held sent to the league right before the playoffs sounds like a good idea. Get on it, Bears.
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm fucking stunned. It's as if he's being penalized for being SO fucking good.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

There were so many plays on the last two green bay drives where both Floyd and Mack were being hugged from behind after beating their guys it was pathetic.

You can never convince me the league doesn't have access to the ref's mic and isn't directing them to stop calling shit to make it a game.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I'm fucking stunned. It's as if he's being penalized for being SO fucking good.
ALA - A young Shaquille O'Neal. He was hammered on just about every play, because there was no other way to stop him.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:There were so many plays on the last two green bay drives where both Floyd and Mack were being hugged from behind after beating their guys it was pathetic.

You can never convince me the league doesn't have access to the ref's mic and isn't directing them to stop calling shit to make it a game.
Stop calling shit?? They never called it in the first place. There was ONE holding penalty called on the Packers yesterday. ONE FUCKING HOLDING PENALTY.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

interesting re-reading this thread from the beginning ... emotions and opinions on the deal all over the place

now that the Bears have clinched the NFC North with 2 games still to go, and knowing Mack has played a very major role in helping that come to fruition, I think we can all pretty much agree we got our money's worth on this trade

hell, Mack's butt sack of Rodgers alone makes everything seem worthwhile

Mr. Mack - thank you ... I wish you health and happiness as you assist in the utter destruction of the Packers and, well, everyone else over the next few years

Chucky - thank you for wanting to torpedo such a stud with little or no concern

Mr. Pace - thank you for getting the whole organization on board so you could pull the trigger on this
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
BR0D1E86
MVP

I’m still befuddled that they gave us a 2nd back. That might only be a drop of a few spots.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

BR0D1E86 wrote:I’m still befuddled that they gave us a 2nd back. That might only be a drop of a few spots.
That was a brilliant stroke by Pace. The Raiders denied a trade proposal from the Rams because they said that their 1st round pick would be too low (assuming the Rams were going to the NFC Championship). They traded with the Bears because of 1) new coach, 2) new QB, 3) shitty record the previous five years.

Looks like Gruden and Davis screwed the Raiders good, with a lot of help from Matt Nagy. If this continues, the 2019 1st will be high 20's, and the 2020 1st will be low 30's. The Raiders have no hope of being good in the next three years, so their pick in 2020 will most likely be Top 10. So Pace traded down 10-12 spots in 2020.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:I’m still befuddled that they gave us a 2nd back. That might only be a drop of a few spots.
That was a brilliant stroke by Pace. The Raiders denied a trade proposal from the Rams because they said that their 1st round pick would be too low (assuming the Rams were going to the NFC Championship). They traded with the Bears because of 1) new coach, 2) new QB, 3) shitty record the previous five years.

Looks like Gruden and Davis screwed the Raiders good, with a lot of help from Matt Nagy. If this continues, the 2019 1st will be high 20's, and the 2020 1st will be low 30's. The Raiders have no hope of being good in the next three years, so their pick in 2020 will most likely be Top 10. So Pace traded down 10-12 spots in 2020.
It is funny how Gruden's expectations bolstered the Bears and hurt his own team. Even more glorious how the Rams and Pack lost out on Mack because Gruden assumed we'd remain terrible.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I was scared to go back and see my first reaction. I am very pleased by it. First time in a while I don't have to eat crow.

You other mother fuckers orders up!
UOK
Site Admin

UOK wrote:I'm not interested in surrendering any 1st rounders for Mack. I know he's good and all that, but 1st round picks are like gold.
G08
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Would I trade for him? Absolutely! Would I burn two first round picks? Ehhhh....
IN THEORY, guys, with us getting that 2nd round pick back I will argue until I'm blue in the face that we did not burn two first round picks for Khalil Mack :lol: