Update: Shaheen active, Sims to IR

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

MoFugger wrote:
G08 wrote:So some clarity:

The Bears have 3 weeks to decide if they want to active Adam Shaheen or shut him down for the year. Saturday at 3PM marks the end of week 2. Week three for us, if I'm not mistaken, is sometime before the Lions game on Thanksgiving.

Why wouldn't we want to active him for the Vikings game? If he's not healthy, he's going to get what, one more practice before we play the Lions?

Unless something unforeseen happens (last I read he was at 90%) I think he's active Sunday night :D
from what I'm hearing he is closer to 99%, but they're going to wait until the last possible minute to make a roster move. Take it for what it's worth.
If you're hearing 99% then yeah I think it's gamesmanship (as it should be, fuck the Vikings :D)
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Sun Times
Will Adam Shaheen come back Sunday?

Bears coach Matt Nagy hopes the team will activate the tight end Saturday. But at whose expense? If the Bears take Shaheen off injured reserve at mid-afternoon Saturday, they’ll have to cut someone from their active roster.

Tight end Dion Sims, who was ruled out for the second-straight week with concussions, could be an IR candidate; Nagy said the Bears are “keeping every option open” with him.

Cut candidates figure to include tight end Daniel Brown or running back/returner Taquan Mizzell. But what about Kevin White? The former first-round pick has been a healthy scratch the last two weeks and doesn’t play special teams. Nagy praised the receiver’s effort level Friday, though.

“Kevin has been outstanding as far as where he’s at mentally and how he’s handled this situation — I mean that,” Nagy said. “Two weeks ago when we decided to make the move to deactivate him, we had a good long sit-down talk and that’s just what I believe in. We were very honest with each other. We talked. He understands. He knows what I’m looking for. I know where he’s coming from.”
MoFugger
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
MoFugger wrote:
G08 wrote:So some clarity:

The Bears have 3 weeks to decide if they want to active Adam Shaheen or shut him down for the year. Saturday at 3PM marks the end of week 2. Week three for us, if I'm not mistaken, is sometime before the Lions game on Thanksgiving.

Why wouldn't we want to active him for the Vikings game? If he's not healthy, he's going to get what, one more practice before we play the Lions?

Unless something unforeseen happens (last I read he was at 90%) I think he's active Sunday night :D
from what I'm hearing he is closer to 99%, but they're going to wait until the last possible minute to make a roster move. Take it for what it's worth.
If you're hearing 99% then yeah I think it's gamesmanship (as it should be, fuck the Vikings :D)
2 years ago this team was playing checkers. Now they are playing 3D chess and I'm having a whole lot of fun watching this season.
It's been nice not to miss Shaheen. but I am salivating over what are two tight end sets are going to look like when he comes back.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo

The #Bears are activating TE Adam Shaheen off injured reserve, source says. Last year’s second-round pick is back. TE Dion Sims headed to IR with a concussion.
Rakshir
Pro Bowler

Addition by subtraction, gain Shaheen and loose Sims.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Rakshir wrote:Addition by subtraction, gain Shaheen and loose Sims.
Oh wow. Talk about the best of both worlds.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Alright! I want to see some serious shit out of that guy. Fox never, ever used him correctly. For Nagy, Burton is Hernandez and Shaheen is Gronk. Let's see what he can scheme up for those two. Let's face it. Burton has already proven to be a mismatch. If Shaheen still has his wheels, he could end up being a nightmare for the Vikings.

As I'm typing this, I'm starting to get excited about all the different ways that Nagy can use him. Hmmm...
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Greg Gabriel was saying this morning that he expects Shaheen to get plenty of targets tonight. Believes that his progress from the pre, will carry over to the second half of this season.
docc
Head Coach

Shaheen is sort of the X Factor.. Queens have little to go on.. Might be smart to use him..
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Greg Gabriel was saying this morning that he expects Shaheen to get plenty of targets tonight. Believes that his progress from the pre, will carry over to the second half of this season.
I mean...can you imagine? Burton, Gabriel, Cohen, Robinson and Miller have already proven to be big play threats, that can take it to the house on any given play. Then you add Shaheen, if he picks up where he left off in the preseason? How do you game plan against that? With Nagy calling the plays? YIKES!

Makes me a little tingly all over...
G08
Hall of Famer

Wow I was checked out once happy hour hit Friday :lol:

Great fucking news!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Wow I was checked out once happy hour hit Friday :lol:

Great fucking news!
Good to have you amongst the conscience again. :welcome:
docc
Head Coach

Going for a ride in the Stude..just did a fine tune so I need to smoke some 245s..and a cigar..
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

docc wrote:Going for a ride in the Stude..just did a fine tune so I need to smoke some 245s..and a cigar..

Haha...that's funny. Those are some big fat tires for a Studebaker.
britbear
Player of the Month

Shaheen is not among the inactives, so I'm guessing he'll see some action tonight. Can't wait.
Bleeding Navy and Orange!!! GO BEARS!!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Shaheen has one catch this year now. For 2 points. :-)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

He had some pretty good blocks though...

But yeah, I thought he'd have a bigger impact on offense tonight.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

produced more than sims did all year playing on 1 single extra point.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:He had some pretty good blocks though...

But yeah, I thought he'd have a bigger impact on offense tonight.
I thought so too. But I guess he's got to work his way back into game form.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

southdakbearfan wrote:produced more than sims did all year playing on 1 single extra point.
Well, he didn't hurt anyone. So that's pretty good.
docc
Head Coach

We are a YOUNG ..very YOUNG team..with a new system..new HC..and we are 7-3 just having beat a team that was a SC contender to many of the talking heads..

Everything we do this year is a Bonus..for what could be an amazing team..
Aggressive on both sides of the ball..

Dr Nagenstein is creating the new MONSTERS..
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

docc wrote:We are a YOUNG ..very YOUNG team..with a new system..new HC..and we are 7-3 just having beat a team that was a SC contender to many of the talking heads..

Everything we do this year is a Bonus..for what could be an amazing team..
Aggressive on both sides of the ball..

Dr Nagenstein is creating the new MONSTERS..
When this season started, the Vikings were like 4th in the Power Rankings. They have been top 10 all year. This changes everything.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Shaheen concussed. Guess he didn't want to play long.
GSH
MVP

came down hard on that endzone catch
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

GSH wrote:came down hard on that endzone catch
He looked a little slow getting up. Trey is the only TE to not get a concussion this year. Sims, Braunecker, and now Shaheen.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Is Shaheen going to be another one of those players with tons of potential, but just can't stay on the field? I hope not, but it's trending that way...
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Is Shaheen going to be another one of those players with tons of potential, but just can't stay on the field? I hope not, but it's trending that way...
I don't think so. He went down pretty hard, there's not a lot of players that wouldn't have had to leave the game.
Pagan
MVP

wab wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Is Shaheen going to be another one of those players with tons of potential, but just can't stay on the field? I hope not, but it's trending that way...
I don't think so. He went down pretty hard, there's not a lot of players that wouldn't have had to leave the game.
I agree.

As disappointing as it is to miss out on seeing certain players miss games due to injury... it would be foolish to thimk that we could possibly be more disappointed than the actual player wanting to make their mark on a playoff bound team.

As we all know, it's a collision sport, so injuries are going to happen.
It's not like he's experiencing potential phantom injuries that can be questioned (doubt that's what you're alluding to here)
But yeah, as far as fluke injuries happening to 1 player over and over (Kyle Long, K. White)... Noone can really say.

The good news is that Shaheen is still a very young 2nd year player & has plenty of time to show us what he can do.