Kevin White question.

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Could Kevin White have a good enough season to remain a Bear next year?

Yes.
63%
No.
37%

Total votes: 30
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Seems obvious, but I was just wondering what everyone else thought.
UOK
Site Admin

Well, of course.
crikev2
Rookie

I believe he will be what I saw from him at WV this year, Robinson will take the bulk of the coverage and double teams, and I think Miller will grab attention very early in the season leaving the third best corner to cover White and despite his terrible luck thus far he is still talented. Nagy and Helfrich will understand his skill set and use it much the way it was at WV which will lead to a monster season.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

crikev2 wrote:I believe he will be what I saw from him at WV this year, Robinson will take the bulk of the coverage and double teams, and I think Miller will grab attention very early in the season leaving the third best corner to cover White and despite his terrible luck thus far he is still talented. Nagy and Helfrich will understand his skill set and use it much the way it was at WV which will lead to a monster season.
Agree completely.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I think this was already discussed. If White has a solid WR4 year, the Bears would bring him back on a 1 year prove it deal. I doubt any team is going to give him a big contract.
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

I think there's too many other talented players on offense for White to get much of a chance this year to show what he's capable of doing. He'll get some opportunities to contribute and prove himself but I don't think he's ever going to be the go-to guy that Trubisky must get the ball to.
malk
Head Coach

I can't see a route back for him. Either he doesn't do enough or, if he does, we'll be more scared of his injury history than other teams so they'll offer more than us.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Z Bear
MVP

Not going to happen, in fact the more he puts up the less likely he remains a Bear. In 2019 Allen Robinson will cost $15M against the cap or $7M in dead money, Taylor Gabriel will cost $6.5M against the cap or $8.5M in dead money. With the money they just gave Mack and any possible extension for Goldman there really is not enough money to give White any more than a $1-2M a year contract. Considering the fact that they have Miller and Wims on the cheap, they can more than make up for any production White gives us.

I think White will put up a max of 40 catches for 500 yards and 3 TDs. He is at best the 4th option on most plays as Robison, Butron, Miller/Gabriel are all more trustworthy targets than White.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I'll be totally honest with you guys. If Kevin White has some sort of sports movie miracle season where he's the hero and the Bears win I'm going to cry. I never agreed with him being drafted and his injuries kept reinforcing that belief, but you have to give him credit for dusting himself off, lacing up the kleets and getting back out there.

I voted yes. On any given Sunday anybody can do anything. What DC is going to put their #1 or #2 CB on him? Then you've got AR15, Miller, Gabriel, etc. White gets nickel back coverage at best.

His ceiling is the #2 WR behind AR15. I'm not saying he will get there but I'd be very happy if he did.

Can you imagine if he has a very solid year and then now we have multiple legit threats at WR? Damn.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Honestly I don't see Kevin White on this team next year no matter what his production is at this point. Even if he put up 1000 yards and 10 TDs it will be hard to justify paying him that amount of cash after only 5 games in 3 years up till this point. He would have to take a large pay cut IMHO to stay on this team and I don't see him doing that...

I can see the Bears letting him test the market value and if it's too much they let him walk or maybe tag him and try and trade him to get back a couple draft picks.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
GSH
MVP

yeah i think he's playing for his job but for another team. Wouldnt even be surprised if a team has a WR go down this season and we see him traded before the end of the year, cue Javon Wims' music.
malagabears
Journeyman

Knuckles wrote:Honestly I don't see Kevin White on this team next year no matter what his production is at this point. Even if he put up 1000 yards and 10 TDs it will be hard to justify paying him that amount of cash after only 5 games in 3 years up till this point. He would have to take a large pay cut IMHO to stay on this team and I don't see him doing that...

I can see the Bears letting him test the market value and if it's too much they let him walk or maybe tag him and try and trade him to get back a couple draft picks.
I also agree with everyone's assesment as well. We kind of have a decent insurance policy waiting in the wings in Wims although he may not have the upside of White or the raw talent. I think I read somewhere he may be a decent route tree runner. Actually at his Pro Day he said he knew the route tree well but evaluators really didn't agree. He has been working on that since his signing. The TD he caught was a decent route with seperation.
Richie
MVP

I just don't see his career really taking off. Sorry

Maybe he stays healthy and comes back on a short deal. However, it's hard for me to envision him really blowing up and becoming a huge factor.
Middleguard
MVP

Yes, because there are always stranger things. The most likely scenario in my mind is Robinson not really healthy in the first half of the season, White getting more playing time than expected and doing really well, then offered an extension mid-season that isn't large, but enough when combined with his own self-doubts.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote:Not going to happen, in fact the more he puts up the less likely he remains a Bear. In 2019 Allen Robinson will cost $15M against the cap or $7M in dead money, Taylor Gabriel will cost $6.5M against the cap or $8.5M in dead money. With the money they just gave Mack and any possible extension for Goldman there really is not enough money to give White any more than a $1-2M a year contract. Considering the fact that they have Miller and Wims on the cheap, they can more than make up for any production White gives us.

I think White will put up a max of 40 catches for 500 yards and 3 TDs. He is at best the 4th option on most plays as Robison, Butron, Miller/Gabriel are all more trustworthy targets than White.
I don't think it's impossible, but it is certainly a very narrow window.

He has to be good enough to be worth retaining, yet affordable enough to come back cheap, because too much $$$ is tied up elsewhere.
Probably he correctly expects to have better opportunity elsewhere, too, if he accomplishes anything.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I would like to see him stay healthy for more than a couple games before worrying about it.
Sugashane
Player of the Month

I don't see it, not even a one year deal. There are numerous QBs with more career TD receptions, and I don't think they will rely on him anymore after having to draft Miller as a replacement for him.

I love the kid's heart and the team seems to like him a lot, so I'd be happy to be wrong. I just don't see how I would be.
Bearfacts
MVP

Robinson and Gabriel will start with Miller in the slot. Add to that the likelihood Trey Burton will see a lot of passes come his way and Tarik Cohen will also be much more in the mix as a receiver than last year and Howard's receiving skills have improved so he'll see some passes as well.

Unless one of the top three WRs is injured for an extended period of time or White can surpass Gabriel on the depth chart I don't see how he'll ever do enough to make a huge impact. If he does, like Fuller, I'm sure the Bears would try to keep him but more than likely he becomes a UFA.

Wims is far cheaper than the kind of money White might be seeking and somewhat like Cam Meredith someone in need might give it to him. I think there's very little chance Kevin White will play for the Bears after 2018.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote:
Z Bear wrote:Not going to happen, in fact the more he puts up the less likely he remains a Bear. In 2019 Allen Robinson will cost $15M against the cap or $7M in dead money, Taylor Gabriel will cost $6.5M against the cap or $8.5M in dead money. With the money they just gave Mack and any possible extension for Goldman there really is not enough money to give White any more than a $1-2M a year contract. Considering the fact that they have Miller and Wims on the cheap, they can more than make up for any production White gives us.

I don't think it's impossible, but it is certainly a very narrow window.

He has to be good enough to be worth retaining, yet affordable enough to come back cheap, because too much $$$ is tied up elsewhere.
Probably he correctly expects to have better opportunity elsewhere, too, if he accomplishes anything.
I think this is the right way to look at it.

If he's too good, he'll want too much $$$, considering we're paying AR12 big dough along with Gabriel's significant cha ching. More likely we'd stick with Miller as #2 or #3 for significantly less.

If he's terrible, then it's time to go.

It's really more of an in between window. And even then, other teams may say that he just didn't get the PT with AR and the rest in the mix. So he may be viewed as more valuable to someone else than to us. But if he comes back, it'll have to be in the under $5M range, I'm guessing.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Umbali
MVP

I chose yes because I always choose wrong. Its what I do
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
G08
Hall of Famer

He's fighting an uphill battle. I hope for his sake he can stay healthy and have a good season, but we have a lot of $$$ tied up in Robinson/Gabriel/Burton.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

SC Bear
Journeyman

Real long shot not because of talent but because of cap space with more important others to sign. I hope he does well. Looks like we will finally be receiving supplemental draft choices in the 2020 draft.
Pagan
MVP

A 'Yes' would make for a beautiful "Behind the Lines' kind of story.
I'm thinking= best case scenario for this team is a sign & trade deal to a playoff team who just ir'ed a starter, just before the deadline.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I'm rooting for him and he really showed some tue flashes of very very good things in pre-season

but I will not bet on him staying healthy and becoming the man at WR ...
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin