32%
No, but outside chance
27%
Definitely not
No votes

Total votes: 37
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Do you see us making the playoffs this year?

Vote and discuss.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
UOK
Site Admin

Yep. I think the only way the Bears don't make the playoffs is any combination of Trubisky bottoming out and/or the roster collapsing due to injury.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Yep. I think the only way the Bears don't make the playoffs is any combination of Trubisky bottoming out and/or the roster collapsing due to injury.
That's bold. I give us a 50/50 shot. I think we'll come out of the gate a little slow, as the offense starts the process of grasping Nagy's offense, at game speed. My prediction was 10-6 with the addition of Mack, and I think we will need a couple of other teams to underperform in order for the Bears to get in.

That being said. If the defense stays healthy all year, this could be a top three unit in the league. IF THAT HAPPENS. We will win 12 games and walk into the playoffs.

On paper...this is the best Bears team we have had in a decade. No question.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I said "no, but outside chance". I predicted 9-7 in the other thread and sometimes 9-7 makes it. I just think there have been too many changes in one year to have everyone be on the same page on offense. Look at the argument many made with Jay Cutler, that he had new OCs virtually every year and that worked against him. Well if that's true (and I think it is), then how does going from a relatively simple offense to a highly complex one in a young QB's 2nd year end up not resulting in lack of cohesion, especially when you consider that the entire receiving corps has turned over?

I do think this will be one exciting team to watch in November and December. :-)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

If after all of this, the new HC, offensive upgrades, Roquan, and now Mack and we DON'T make the playoffs something is seriously wrong with this franchise.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

I picked the second option... On paper this is a great team but until we see the offense perform it's hard to gauge. The D should be top notch but the O might take some time to get on the same page. Having Nagy calling plays should move that along quicker IMO but still we just have no clue at this point. The past few years injures have been the big problem because our depth wasn't there yet. If we lost one WR then we had scrubs in there for instance last year we lost all our starters early. Our depth is solid this year at pretty much every position so hopefully they'll be able to weather a few starters injured.

This division is a nightmare though and you'll need 10+ wins to make the playoffs unless something drastic happens like AR breaking his collar bone again or Cousins not living up to expectations ect.

Everything hinges on Mitch and the offense at this point... If by the bye week we don't see something that resembles the KC offense last year in some shape or form then expectations drop drastically. But, we've seen a few teams over the past couple years that went from bottom dwellers to contenders over night and there's no reason to think the Bears can't do that after what they did this off season.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
malk
Head Coach

The only ways I don't see us making it are:

1. Lots and lots of injuries.
2. Trubisky regression (i.e. worse than last year).
3. Nagy's playcalling being a flash in the pan.

I LOVE this defence now. So much so that even if we see a year of average Trubisky, average coming back from injury Robinson, growing pains Nagy, we still end up a wildcard playoff team.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Richie
MVP

Right now, I'll still be conservative and say we fall short. The division is still tough and the NFC is deep. We could easily win 10 and still miss out. 11-5 is no easy task.

We'll know a lot more after the first couple weeks of seeing the offense play
Middleguard
MVP

9-7 makes the playoffs a little over 60%. I don't know about divisions as good as Bears'.
EricTighe
MVP

pre season and Bears fan. You always believe your team can make the playoffs prior to the season starting.

I think you understand the Kool aid is 200 proof in my house.
Richie
MVP

Middleguard wrote:9-7 makes the playoffs a little over 60%. I don't know about divisions as good as Bears'.
You by any chance have a link to that 60% number? It just doesn't sound right to me... but I could be wrong.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Division is tough as hell and I just don't think the Bears are there yet. I expect injuries, well, because the team has been flea bit for quite awhile in that area. The team will be much improved, but there are still question marks.

Picked outside chance.
Davantesghost
Practice Squad

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
UOK wrote:Yep. I think the only way the Bears don't make the playoffs is any combination of Trubisky bottoming out and/or the roster collapsing due to injury.
That's bold. I give us a 50/50 shot. I think we'll come out of the gate a little slow, as the offense starts the process of grasping Nagy's offense, at game speed. My prediction was 10-6 with the addition of Mack, and I think we will need a couple of other teams to underperform in order for the Bears to get in.

That being said. If the defense stays healthy all year, this could be a top three unit in the league. IF THAT HAPPENS. We will win 12 games and walk into the playoffs.

That is quite a claim, and it requires the assumption the Trubisky will improve drastically.
Sugashane
Player of the Month

Davantesghost wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

That is quite a claim, and it requires the assumption the Trubisky will improve drastically.
There are nothing but assumptions right now. I assume MIN is going to win the NFCN, I assume Trubisky will improve a lot now that he doesn't have a retarded midget calling his plays and BIG 10-level WR corps, etc. He's not going to make a Wentz-like jump to MVP candidate or anything but still a significant jump.

You're likely assuming Pettine (and Wilkerson's hot/cold motor burning more than cooling) gets the defense back to at least an average level, Rodgers can stay healthy and not regress while hopefully not getting the hell beat out of him like he often has (granted a lot of that is him being aggressive and has resulted in some huge plays), and that Graham is going to be at least an even replacement for Nelson (which I would disagree with).

The NFC North is probably the best overall division in the NFL this year, and each team still has warts. That's just the game.
Davantesghost
Practice Squad

Sugashane wrote:
Davantesghost wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

There are nothing but assumptions right now. I assume MIN is going to win the NFCN, I assume Trubisky will improve a lot now that he doesn't have a retarded midget calling his plays and BIG 10-level WR corps, etc. He's not going to make a Wentz-like jump to MVP candidate or anything but still a significant jump.

You're likely assuming Pettine (and Wilkerson's hot/cold motor burning more than cooling) gets the defense back to at least an average level, Rodgers can stay healthy and not regress while hopefully not getting the hell beat out of him like he often has (granted a lot of that is him being aggressive and has resulted in some huge plays), and that Graham is going to be at least an even replacement for Nelson (which I would disagree with).

The NFC North is probably the best overall division in the NFL this year, and each team still has warts. That's just the game.
Assuming Minny wins the division wouldnt be warranted, GB was leading the division at 4-1 prior to Rodgers going down. They couldnt beat Hundley by more then 13 and 16.

Im not assuming anything on the D. We dont need any of that to happen for us to win the division. I think Wilkerson could be huge if hes truthful when he says he us motivated, but thats not really huge, we already had a loaded D line without him, and we signed him on the cheap.

Im not sure why Rodgers would regress.

You think Graham won't be equal to Jordy? That is very interesting. I think Graham adds alot more then Jordy does as this stage in their careers.
Sugashane
Player of the Month

Davantesghost wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
Davantesghost wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

Assuming Minny wins the division wouldnt be warranted, GB was leading the division at 4-1 prior to Rodgers going down. They couldnt beat Hundley by more then 13 and 16.

Im not assuming anything on the D. We dont need any of that to happen for us to win the division. I think Wilkerson could be huge if hes truthful when he says he us motivated, but thats not really huge, we already had a loaded D line without him, and we signed him on the cheap.

You think Graham won't be equal to Jordy? That is very interesting. I think Graham adds alot more then Jordy does as this stage in their careers.
So you assume things will repeat just because the previous season? MIN had Keenum who is far less talented than Cousins. While the gap between those two isn't as big as between Rodgers/Hundley, it is still a massive difference. Neither game GB played them had Cook running the ball, and he is a substantial upgrade to McKinnon. Then add that GB has the 3rd best defense in the division IMO, with or without Wilkerson. MIN looks to clearly be the better overall team.

Graham has redzone potential, but he hasn't been much prior to getting there lately. Nelson's dropoff was due to Hundley being trash, Graham had a major dropoff outside the redzone even with Wilson throwing more than ever before. That is with Baldwin even being the primary focus of the defense for the passing game. While he won't be the one counted on to move the chains repeatedly in GB, it is simply because he isn't the threat he was years ago.
Davantesghost
Practice Squad

Sugashane wrote:
Davantesghost wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
Davantesghost wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

So you assume things will repeat just because the previous season? MIN had Keenum who is far less talented than Cousins. While the gap between those two isn't as big as between Rodgers/Hundley, it is still a massive difference. Neither game GB played them had Cook running the ball, and he is a substantial upgrade to McKinnon. Then add that GB has the 3rd best defense in the division IMO, with or without Wilkerson. MIN looks to clearly be the better overall team.

Graham has redzone potential, but he hasn't been much prior to getting there lately. Nelson's dropoff was due to Hundley being trash, Graham had a major dropoff outside the redzone even with Wilson throwing more than ever before. That is with Baldwin even being the primary focus of the defense for the passing game. While he won't be the one counted on to move the chains repeatedly in GB, it is simply because he isn't the threat he was years ago.
Not any more then you are.

Keenum had a year last year literally right on par with Cousins year. Granted he had a better supportinv cast, but i hardly would say he is far less talented then Cousins.

GBs D was only deficient at one spot, corner, but it was bad enough to derail the entire unit. We drafted two of the top 4 CBs in the draft (including mine and Peter Kings pick for DROY, Josh Jackson) and signed Williams who was a top 10 Corner last year. In addition, we get King back, who missed most of last year, and when he did play he had severely gimped shoulder. With a major improvement at cb (obviously not a given) i have an easy time seeing this D being a force. Wilkerson on our already dominant D line is quite a thought.

Yea, Dalvin wasnt in either of our games against Minny last year, but he is coming off an acl and our run D is top notch. His impact isnt even close to the impact of getting back Rodgers, and im not fearful of Cook, as Aaron Jones had better running numbers anyway, even with Hundley.

If you mean Minny looks to be the better team outside of Rodgers, id probably agree, but with him? Doubt it.

Nelsons drop off was not due to Hundley, that doesnt make sense. Davante excelled with Hundley. Nelson had been falling off steady for years, he remained productive because Rodgers chemistry and trust, but as soon as that was gone, we realized he had a tougher time then ever getting open with pin point throws, fact is, Jordy is losing it physically and no longer possesses that speed.

Graham was egregiously misused by a running team in SEA, who foolishly tried to use him as an inline tightend who blocked. Baldwin was never the focus of Ds, thats silly. Baldwin had benefitted from Grahan receiving extra attention his entire time in SEA. In GB, Grahan is going to be doing what he was doing in NO, being a big vertical glorified WR matchup issue.

Graham is 6'7 and fast as hell for a TE, his physical attributes havent deteriorated like Jordy's, trying to rationalize how one of the leagues biggest, fastest passing threat wont be productive with Rodgers is silly, and I mean that respectfully.

You realize Grahams past season alone outproduced Trey Burtons entire career?
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

GB's defense was also weak at pass rusher, which is why they were in the KMack sweepstakes.

BR0D1E86
MVP

Mikefive wrote:GB's defense was also weak at pass rusher, which is why they were in the KMack sweepstakes.
Yeah, the underselling of the pretty extreme warts on Green Bay’s defense is amusing to me.

Also it’s funny that Jordy was getting old and losing his athleticism, which caused his drop off, but Graham who is about six months younger dropped off because external factors.

Side note- the past two years Seattle has passed it just under 60% of the time. That usually comes in between 10th and 15th most frequently in the league. Last year they had the 13th highest pass play%. Hardly some unbalanced run-centered attack.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Davantesghost wrote:

GBs D was only deficient at one spot, corner, but it was bad enough to derail the entire unit. We drafted two of the top 4 CBs in the draft (including mine and Peter Kings pick for DROY, Josh Jackson) and signed Williams who was a top 10 Corner last year. In addition, we get King back, who missed most of last year, and when he did play he had severely gimped shoulder. With a major improvement at cb (obviously not a given) i have an easy time seeing this D being a force. Wilkerson on our already dominant D line is quite a thought.

Green Bay had the 22nd ranked defense last year, and you're saying that you're only deficient in ONE spot, CB? I find that hard to believe. The Bears had the 10th ranked defense, and added Khalil Mack, the BEST EDGE/OLB in the game today. My guess is they will be top 5 this year. GB will be lucky to sniff the top half.

Trey Burton is 26, Graham is 31. How is that even relevant?
dplank
Hall of Famer

I went 50/50. I like our team, I liked it before we got Mack. But, two factors give me pause.

1. Our division might be the toughest in football
2. Our offense will take time to gel, as will our defense now with Roquan/Mack playing zero snaps in the preseason and both missing all of camp.

By mid season I expect to be a playoff calibre team, I just don't know if we'll be able to get there if we start slow.
Bearfacts
MVP

Who can say? I'd rather give an opinion after the opener when I've seen how far the offense has come.

Right now there are too many variables to consider but I do feel we have enough talent to do it especially with Mack on board. At the very least I feel we can win at least 8 games and climb past Detroit in the NFCN and challenge GB and Minny.

Injuries to any key players will also play a huge roll for us and every other NFCN team.

Can GB make the playoffs without Rodgers and Kizer at QB? Not likely. How many games can Minny win without Cousins now that Keenum is gone? Are we any less dependent on Trubisky or could Chase Daniels be a 2018 Case Keenum?

It's just too early to say.
Davantesghost
Practice Squad

Mikefive wrote:GB's defense was also weak at pass rusher, which is why they were in the KMack sweepstakes.
Somewhat true in a sense.

GB has one of the better edge rushing duos in football with Matthews (who is now going to be taking less snaps inside) and Perry. (Who is a top pass rusher in terms of productivity but injury prone)

We have little depth at OLB outside of them, bit Pettine runs a hybrid system as opposed to Capers 3-4, meaning we can put our abundance of D line men to good use in the pass rushing game.

This is why we didnt prioritize pass rusher in the draft or FA. Not to mention Pettine has made a career of getting top pass rushing units without top edge rushers, by way of interior pressure.
Davantesghost
Practice Squad

BR0D1E86 wrote:
Yeah, the underselling of the pretty extreme warts on Green Bay’s defense is amusing to me.

Also it’s funny that Jordy was getting old and losing his athleticism, which caused his drop off, but Graham who is about six months younger dropped off because external factors.

Side note- the past two years Seattle has passed it just under 60% of the time. That usually comes in between 10th and 15th most frequently in the league. Last year they had the 13th highest pass play%. Hardly some unbalanced run-centered attack.
The extreme warts? Do point out? Our D line was top notch last year, our ILBs were very good, with Martinez leading the league in tackles, HHCD and Burnett (Whom left in FA) clearly isnt a deficient saftey corp by any means.

The issue was our pass D. Our corners had no business in the NFL. Once our already majorly gimped Kevin King went down, we had Josh Hawkins and Quinten Rollins starting with Damarious Randall in the slot. That is absolutely atrocious, as two of them arent on a roster, while Randall is a backup saftey in CLE.

SEA was never a vertical O. Fact is, it is well known that they used Graham stubbornly as an in line hardly vertical tight end.

Age isnt why Jordy dropped off but its a factor. His physical ability was deteriorating. He lost alot of speed with his acl injury, and age wasnt helping.

Are you trying to say Graham isnt still one of the biggest, fastest targets in football? If not, im not sure what your point is. The guy to this day is lightning for a 6'7 player.
Davantesghost
Practice Squad

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Davantesghost wrote:

Green Bay had the 22nd ranked defense last year, and you're saying that you're only deficient in ONE spot, CB? I find that hard to believe. The Bears had the 10th ranked defense, and added Khalil Mack, the BEST EDGE/OLB in the game today. My guess is they will be top 5 this year. GB will be lucky to sniff the top half.

Yes. By the numbers, our atrocious corner position was what caused our low ranking. By the numbers, the rest of the D was pretty good. But when your corners are far and away the worst in the league you arent going to get far, well, at least without Rodgers outscoring the other team for you, that is.

Khalil Mack had 10.5 sacks last year. Have fun with that contract.

It was being used agaimst Graham that he was 31, but now your trying to use that as an excuse as to why his last season alone out performed Burtons entire career? That seems odd.
Last edited by Davantesghost on Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davantesghost
Practice Squad

Davantesghost wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Davantesghost wrote:

Yes. By the numbers, our atrocious corner position was what caused our low ranking. By the numbers, the rest of the D was pretty good. But when your corners are far and away the worst in the league you arent going to get far, well, at least without Rodgers outscoring the other team for you, that is.

Under the rather large assumption that our last year run defensive production carries over, with a major improvement from our entirely new CB core, i could see us being top 10 quite easy. Also, Pettine never had a D outside of top 10 in total D in his entire career.

It was being used agaimst Graham that he was 31, but now your trying to use that as an excuse as to why his last season alone out performed Burtons entire career? That seems odd.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Davantesghost wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Davantesghost wrote:

One of the CB's that you brought in is Tramon Williams. He's 35. There is NO WAY at 35, that he hasn't lost a step and a half. I hope he's forced to cover Taylor Gabriel. That will be comical. Your other starting ILB is a rookie. If you are counting on Matthews to give you 75 tackles and 12 sacks, you are living in the past.

Khalil Mack had no one else on the DLine to soak up double teams. He got them all. Try that with Akiem Hicks and Leonard Floyd. It will be a jail break.
Davantesghost
Practice Squad

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Davantesghost wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
Davantesghost wrote:

One of the CB's that you brought in is Tramon Williams. He's 35. There is NO WAY at 35, that he hasn't lost a step and a half. I hope he's forced to cover Taylor Gabriel. That will be comical. Your other starting ILB is a rookie. If you are counting on Matthews to give you 75 tackles and 12 sacks, you are living in the past.

Khalil Mack had no one else on the DLine to soak up double teams. He got them all. Try that with Akiem Hicks and Leonard Floyd. It will be a jail break.
Tramon Williams is coming off of a career year with the Cardinals. Id love for him to cover Gabriel, he shut down far better last year. PFF had Tramon as a top 8 corner production wise last year.

Yes. Our other ILB is a rookie, correct. A rookie who was a top preseason performer and whom we traded up fir, but a rookie nonetheless. Do I get to handwave away all of yoir rookies as easy pickings? Because your starting MLB and slot WR are both rookies.

Matthews isnt even our top pass rusher, but at any rate, playing exclusively OLB, i have no issue seeing him eclipse 12 sacks on the year. But as I said, our D Line is loaded and our D coordinator has made a career off of getting top pass rish units out of the strength of interior linemen. Pettine has never actually had edge rushers as good as Perry/Matthews, outside of maybe having one year of Mario Williams in Buffalo.

Id be more then happy to double Mack, as our healthy O line is more then a match for anyone else you have on your team. Floyd is no match for Bahktiari or Bulaga, and in fact, Mack had an entire game of one on one matchups against Bahktiari back in his DPOY campaign, and he got completely shut down.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Davantesghost wrote:Khalil Mack had 10.5 sacks last year. Have fun with that contract.
Green Bay (who reportedly made multiple offers to Oakland) and almost half the league called about Mack. So don't make it sound like he isn't worth the money. How's that Clay Matthews contract looking right now? At least Mack hasn't missed a game or had plummetting production.

When you're talking about a guy who was the DPOY, it's not just about his stats. It's about how other teams have to scheme to stop him, which takes resources away from stopping everyone else. We're very happy to pay him. And so would Brian Gutekunst.

Davantesghost
Practice Squad

Mikefive wrote:
Davantesghost wrote:Khalil Mack had 10.5 sacks last year. Have fun with that contract.
Green Bay (who reportedly made multiple offers to Oakland) and almost half the league called about Mack. So don't make it sound like he isn't worth the money. How's that Clay Matthews contract looking right now? At least Mack hasn't missed a game or had plummetting production.

When you're talking about a guy who was the DPOY, it's not just about his stats. It's about how other teams have to scheme to stop him, which takes resources away from stopping everyone else. We're very happy to pay him. And so would Brian Gutekunst.
Matthews has lived up to his contract quite well id say. His pass rushing numbers have dropped only due to him being played as a hybrid ILB/OLB rather then exclusively pass rusher.

Gutekunst was willing to pay Mack good money, I agree. But we werent willing to pay the draft capital to get him that you guys did. Noone was.

He is going to have to ball out to be worth that contract. Like seriously. He is to highest paid D player in history. He cpuld be an all pro and still end up not being worth the money and draft capital.